Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
hows Nujabes? I hope he doesn't die like in our world.

He should be okay since the car crash that killed him is butterflied.

Can we expect to see some TV lineups soon?

I have some ideas for what we could air with TTTE on Cartoon Network.

mmmm, I don't think any of the TV updates will center around Thomas in particular, but I might touch on it just a bit. Send your ideas too.

Are we going to get another wrestling post soon?

Actually yes, before the end of 2010, but it probably won't be as detailed as previous posts.

It does not.

Spring 2010 (Part 1) - Tales From The Pop Revolution
Korean Pop Quartet 2NE1 Debuts At No. 1

2NE1, the Korean pop band recently signed to Jay-Z's record label, has just seen its first North American album, Protogenesis, achieve major success on the Billboard charts, debuting at No. 1 with just under half a million sales in its first week of availability. The album, a pop/hip-hop fusion that features the hit singles "You Won't Believe" (No. 1) and "Time Flies" (No. 3), launched to moderate critical acclaim, averaging a 71 on Metacritic, but it's proved popular with fans across North America and across the world, especially in the band's home country of South Korea, where the album sold more than 300,000 copies. The album gives all four members of the band their own solo piece, but also features them singing and performing together, and thematically has been compared to the Spice Girls' hit albums of the late 90s, but with a slightly smoother beat. 2NE1 is the latest Asian pop act to top the charts over the past 18 months, which has also seen acts like Hikaru Utada and Ayumi Hamasaki achieve major and repeated success. The band's success also comes as girl pop acts in general are achieving unprecedented levels of success thanks to stars like Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, and crossover sensation Chloe Wang, who has been white-hot since her American Idol win last year.

Jay-Z has expressed his excitement over the band's success, claiming that he wasn't surprised to see their album debut at number one, and that "the best is yet to come" from this young band. 2NE1's first North American concert tour launches in the spring, and is expected to be one of the year's biggest tours, with millions of fans in attendance over the tour's 36 stops. The band is then expected to return to Asia for an international tour sometime late this year or early next year before starting work on their follow-up album. The success of 2NE1 has also encouraged artists like Pharrell Williams to collaborate with Japanese, Korean, and Chinese pop stars, as well as American pop stars who perform similar music. Pharrell is expected to launch his own album later this year where he collaborates with artists such as Itori Sakagoma, a 21-year-old Japanese pop sensation who topped the charts in Japan in 2008 and will be launching a crossover album of her own later this year, and Aya Hirano, a popular Japanese actress who has also performed several hit songs in Japan and who has been announced as the voice of a character in an upcoming American/Japanese animated film co-written by Pharrell and featuring his music. In 2008, he released the album Kendo, which also took heavy inspiration from Asian music, but his upcoming album will feature more of the modern pop sound infused with American-style hip hop, featuring Asian artists but with a decidedly Western sound in order to show just how much the music of the two regions has begun to mesh during the past few months.

-from an article on Yahoo! News, posted on January 19, 2010

-

(Authors' Note: Another update on the character Martina Sanders (aka M.S.), a character given to us by the reader Neoteros!)

"And there's no doubt that M.S. is rapidly becoming a rising star as she approaches her 16th birthday. While her debut album topped out at #79 on the North American pop chart, her upcoming album, a much darker, harder, rock-inspired sound, looks to please both critics and fans, though its creator couldn't care less about pleasing either. She continues to express her disdain for the modern pop scene and its stars, even as she herself hopes to tear it wide open. She'll not only be releasing her own album, but performing two songs on Pharrell's upcoming album, and he continues to be one of the few people in the modern music industry that she speaks fondly about. Ironically, she has a role in an upcoming episode of the hit Fox Family show Welcome To Riverdale, where she plays an acquaintance of teenage witch Sabrina Spellman. She eagerly posted pictures of herself with the cast of the show during the filming of the episode, and indeed, could be seen spending plenty of time with Elizabeth Gillies, the actress who plays Veronica on the show. She even showed off videos of a jam session between the two, in which they performed various classic rock songs and sang a duet of Heart's 'Barracuda' together.

Despite M.S.'s controversial postings and feuds, there's no doubt she's managed to draw an increasingly prominent following of fans over the past year, and these fans have become confrontational as well, particularly toward fans of acts such as Taylor Swift, an artist M.S. has shared her repeated disdain for. In many ways, M.S. is the anti-Taylor Swift, dressing in dark colors, sporting a tomboyish haircut, and frequently displaying the middle finger to fans and paparazzi alike (did we mention she's still just 15?). While she refuses to release any diss tracks against her most hated figures in the music industry (according to M.S., they're 'not worth her time'), she does enjoy dropping frequent insults in her interviews and on her Twitter page, on which she sometimes makes hundreds of posts per day."

-from an article on Pop Underground, posted on February 1, 2010

-

"The surprising relaunch of Canadian Idol has hit ratings never before seen since the show went on hiatus after the 2008 season, largely thanks to the current front-runner, a 15-year-old named Justin Bieber. Bieber's powerful voice and ability to launch seamlessly into motor-mouthed hip hop lyrics have judges in awe, girls swooning, fans voting, and viewers tuning in like never before. The young man from London, Ontario, first wowed the judges with a performance of Elton John's 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me', then took the stage for the first time and brought down the house, with fans giving him a standing ovation after a performance of Justin Timberlake's 'Take It Outside'. In fact, many of the show's fans have compared Bieber's multi-faceted performing talent with the former N'Sync singer and current solo star, and Bieber's performance on the show has even won accolades from Justin Timberlake, who watched clips from the show posted to Videocean. News of Bieber's incredible performances have even led some web-savvy American fans to install software on their computers allowing them to get around geoblocking restrictions that prevent non-Canadians from watching episodes of the show online."

-from an article on Tubehound.com, posted on February 27, 2010

-

@Skrillex: Jamming with one of my all-time heroes Nujabes tonight in Los Angeles. This is a dream come true! Can't believe this is happening right now.
-from a post on Skrillex's Twitter page at 1:21 AM, February 28, 2010, accompanied by a brief video of Skrillex and Nujabes both at the turn tables together playing for an enthusiastic crowd at a Los Angeles nightclub

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Canadian Idol has hit ratings never before seen since the show went on hiatus after the 2008 season, largely thanks to the current front-runner, a 15-year-old named Justin Bieber.

I'll let this one slide; I mean, nobody has cared about him since 2016 or something, right...? :p

He [Nujabes] should be okay since the car crash that killed him is butterflied.

@Skrillex: Jamming with one of my all-time heroes Nujabes tonight in Los Angeles. This is a dream come true! Can't believe this is happening right now.
-from a post on Skrillex's Twitter page at 1:21 AM, February 28, 2010, accompanied by a brief video of Skrillex and Nujabes both at the turn tables together playing for an enthusiastic crowd at a Los Angeles nightclub

I guess he is okay after all! And I guess Skrillex made it big too, or maybe that might be a little earlier.

I'll let this one slide; I mean, nobody has cared about him since 2016 or something, right...? :p
He got his 15 minutes of fame and never got the talent to substain those but he was popular and might worth the mention, heck even Lady Gaga(far more talented people want to admit) feels now like a passing memory

He got his 15 minutes of fame and never got the talent to substain those but he was popular and might worth the mention, heck even Lady Gaga(far more talented people want to admit) feels now like a passing memory

Lady Gaga fizzled out because her whole image was based on finding ways to out-weird herself all the time: once she couldn't do that anymore, her time came to an end. It's a shame, since - just like Christina Aguilera before her - she can fucking sing.

Lady Gaga fizzled out because her whole image was based on finding ways to out-weird herself all the time: once she couldn't do that anymore, her time came to an end. It's a shame, since - just like Christina Aguilera before her - she can fucking sing.
Excatly that is why i say she is far more talented people in mainstream media admit at times, she can sing, she is trained in theatric but she herself fall into a pit she herself dug as you say. A shame, maybe she should adopt a minimalist artstyle..might even work

Excatly that is why i say she is far more talented people in mainstream media admit at times, she can sing, she is trained in theatric but she herself fall into a pit she herself dug as you say. A shame, maybe she should adopt a minimalist artstyle..might even work

She'd fit quite nicely in the current batch of indie pop performers, actually...

"And there's no doubt that M.S. is rapidly becoming a rising star as she approaches her 16th birthday. While her debut album topped out at #79 on the North American pop chart, her upcoming album, a much darker, harder, rock-inspired sound, looks to please both critics and fans, though its creator couldn't care less about pleasing either. She continues to express her disdain for the modern pop scene and its stars, even as she herself hopes to tear it wide open. She'll not only be releasing her own album, but performing two songs on Pharrell's upcoming album, and he continues to be one of the few people in the modern music industry that she speaks fondly about. Ironically, she has a role in an upcoming episode of the hit Fox Family show Welcome To Riverdale, where she plays an acquaintance of teenage witch Sabrina Spellman. She eagerly posted pictures of herself with the cast of the show during the filming of the episode, and indeed, could be seen spending plenty of time with Elizabeth Gillies, the actress who plays Veronica on the show. She even showed off videos of a jam session between the two, in which they performed various classic rock songs and sang a duet of Heart's 'Barracuda' together.

Despite M.S.'s controversial postings and feuds, there's no doubt she's managed to draw an increasingly prominent following of fans over the past year, and these fans have become confrontational as well, particularly toward fans of acts such as Taylor Swift, an artist M.S. has shared her repeated disdain for. In many ways, M.S. is the anti-Taylor Swift, dressing in dark colors, sporting a tomboyish haircut, and frequently displaying the middle finger to fans and paparazzi alike (did we mention she's still just 15?). While she refuses to release any diss tracks against her most hated figures in the music industry (according to M.S., they're 'not worth her time'), she does enjoy dropping frequent insults in her interviews and on her Twitter page, on which she sometimes makes hundreds of posts per day."

-from an article on Pop Underground, posted on February 1, 2010
I...Do not see this ending well.

I...Do not see this ending well.

Well, she is a collage of quite a few people I know in person, up to and including myself when I wake up feeling like shit; and all of those people are high-functioning autistic folks who ran out of fucks to give long ago. Of course she is too edgy for her own good. When I wondered about the consequences of the greater influence of East Asian pop culture on one hand, and of Chris-chan's ATL killing spree on the other hand, what came out of it was, basically, a geek off her meds who also happens to be quite good at singing.

In real world news, Nintendo of America announced that Reggie Fils-Amie will be retiring in April. He is to be succeeded by, I kid you not, Doug Bowser.

I kinda realized that in this timeline that no mention is made of Nintendo's American leadership in terms of being a well known personality by the gamers. Reggie sure did make an entrance when he made his public debut at E3 2004 with his "Kicking Ass and Taking Names" intro. Not to mention all the memes produced along the way like "My Body is Ready".

End of an era. It makes me wonder how things are going on here in regards to the public faces of Nintendo in this timeline.

Did you forget she is more than likely about to win an Oscar? Or two?

"@Skrillex: Jamming with one of my all-time heroes Nujabes tonight in Los Angeles. This is a dream come true! Can't believe this is happening right now.
-from a post on Skrillex's Twitter page at 1:21 AM, February 28, 2010, accompanied by a brief video of Skrillex and Nujabes both at the turn tables together playing for an enthusiastic crowd at a Los Angeles nightclub"

Cool to see Sonny Moore still make it big as Skrillex. I'm not afraid to admit I was a fan long before he was Skrillex. I had a pet hedgehog named Sonny after him in middle school lol. Obviously a play on Sonic as well.

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
In real world news, Nintendo of America announced that Reggie Fils-Amie will be retiring in April.

Didn't see that coming. But damn though. That's two things that end in April: his time at Nintendo of America, and the thirty-year reign of Emperor Akihito (set to abdicate on the 30th of April this year).

What do you do if this thread reaches 500? Will you just make another TL?

He'll continue Massively Multiplayer on a second thread, either with a new name or a notation stating it as Part 2. Probably will be at the end of 2010, but take that detail with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.