Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Lyssa has a crush on Brittany, huh.

I wonder if there are any GameTV fics on this ATL's version of fanfiction.net. :p

Lyssa is in love with Brittany and has been since a few months after the two of them started working on the show together. Eventually, Lyssa came out as bisexual to Brittany and admitted to having feelings for her. Brittany was completely accepting and honestly touched, but she's straight and wasn't able to reciprocate those feelings. The two are still best friends though, and Lyssa's admission actually brought them closer. Literally a month after Lyssa admitted her feelings to Brittany is when she first brought Brittany and Chris together at a Christmas party in 1998, and Lyssa was very happy to be the maid of honor at their wedding.

As for GameTV fanfics, they were actually one of the most popular categories of "real person fic" before fanfiction.net clamped down on the practice and banned the fics around the same time that they did IOTL. There's still a small but dedicated community of GameTV fanfic writers, with the four most popular pairings being Lyssa/Brittany, Ted/Alex, Alex/Brittany, and Ted/Brittany in that order. Brittany's death did have somewhat of a chilling effect on the fic writers though, and there's not much GameTV fanfic being written as of TTL 2017.

Is the movie "The Room" still made? I ask because the Disaster Artist, about the making of the Room, comes out this week...
I don't think so. I remember seeing one of the comments on Game Over ask something to the effect of "What kind of drugs do you have to be on to create someone like Tommy Wiseau?"

I don't think so. I remember seeing one of the comments on Game Over ask something to the effect of "What kind of drugs do you have to be on to create someone like Tommy Wiseau?"

Talking of "what kind of drugs", what are Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim (the guys who brought The Room to a wider audience, I'm pretty sure) up to at this point ITTL? Was Tom Goes to the Mayor a thing? Is Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! going to be a thing? (Confession: I never actually watched either, and the pop-up ads for T&EASGJ made it very clear that my aesthetic and its did not have a lot of overlap.)

Is the movie "The Room" still made? I ask because the Disaster Artist, about the making of the Room, comes out this week...

Wiseau's friend and co-star in The Room, Greg Sestaro, ended up being a bit more famous than he was IOTL. He starred in the third season of Nickelodeon's Space Cases (which got a proper final season ITTL) as a Martian prince who led a rescue party to bring back the crew of the Christa, only to end up stranded with them himself. Following Space Cases, he bounced back and forth between regional dinner theater and some indie films, with his most famous roles coming in some 2000s SciFi Channel movies. He never meets Wiseau. Instead of becoming a moviemaker, Wiseau becomes an author and self-publishes some very strange books, one of them essentially being The Room in novel form. A few of his more erotic works catch the eye of Something Awful and become full-on meme material, so while Wiseau's not as infamous as he is IOTL, he's still fairly well known in the weirder corners of the web.

Was Tom Goes to the Mayor a thing? Is Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! going to be a thing?

Mmm...sure, why not?

Speaking of Selena, the Reelz channel has a series called Murder Made Me Famous and it's doing an episode on Yolanda Saldivar and her murder of Selena and how it made her the most hated figure in the Latino community (her lawyer also became unpopular among the Latino community; ironically, he didn't want the case but was appointed to it by the presiding judge). At least Saldivar has a better fate (it helps that she didn't kill Selena; she should stay in prison for the rest of her life, IMO (1))...

(1) Saldivar is lucky it wasn't a capital murder case OTL; not only would she have been sentenced to death, there'd be no shortage of volunteers lining up to give her the injection...

Another note about Selena's murder: IOTL, on April 3rd, 1995, the day of Selena's burial, a former employee of the Walter Rossler Company (an industrial inspection company) in Corpus Christi, Jason Simpson (no relation to OJ (who does have a son named Jason (1)); he was white), walked into the company's office and shot the owner, Walter Rossler, his wife, and three employees (sparing the Rosslers' daughter and grandson, among several others) before committing suicide.

Assuming that shooting still happens ITTL (I'm assuming it does; the butterflies are flapping, but not real strong in 1995), that shooting will get more attention ITTL (IOTL, it was overshadowed by the coverage of the aftermath of Selena's murder). It probably becomes the subject of an Investigation Discovery (I still see the subject of true crime becoming popular enough to have its own channel ITTL) episode.

Here's a link for more information: http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/simpson-james-daniel.htm.

(1) Interestingly, OJ's son Jason Simpson was the subject of a documentary implying he committed the murders IOTL (and produced by Martin Sheen, among others), and OJ covered for him; Ry, am I correct in thinking those theories don't exist with the nature of OJ and Nicole's deaths ITTL?

(1) Interestingly, OJ's son Jason Simpson was the subject of a documentary implying he committed the murders IOTL (and produced by Martin Sheen, among others), and OJ covered for him; Ry, am I correct in thinking those theories don't exist with the nature of OJ and Nicole's deaths ITTL?
Nope of course nop, maybe some fringe in the internet that was a killing but you knew all insane stuff always in internet, mostly because how was reported and how happened (and ITTL more infamous and lethal Andrew Rison incident) didn't leave doubt how NFL domestic violence might be a silent ailment and was tackle on much early that OTL.

Another note about Selena's murder: IOTL, on April 3rd, 1995, the day of Selena's burial, a former employee of the Walter Rossler Company (an industrial inspection company) in Corpus Christi, Jason Simpson (no relation to OJ (who does have a son named Jason (1)); he was white), walked into the company's office and shot the owner, Walter Rossler, his wife, and three employees (sparing the Rosslers' daughter and granddaughter) before committing suicide.

Assuming that shooting still happens ITTL (I'm assuming it does; the butterflies are flapping, but not real strong in 1995), that shooting will get more attention ITTL (IOTL, it was overshadowed by the coverage of the aftermath of Selena's murder). It probably becomes the subject of an Investigation Discovery (I still see true crime becoming popular enough to have its own network ITTL) episode.
Knowing OTL this don't surprise me but seems pretty minor, not even ID have an episode in OTL...MAYBE ITTL as not columbine...

Another note about Selena's murder: IOTL, on April 3rd, 1995, the day of Selena's burial, a former employee of the Walter Rossler Company (an industrial inspection company) in Corpus Christi, Jason Simpson (no relation to OJ (who does have a son named Jason (1)); he was white), walked into the company's office and shot the owner, Walter Rossler, his wife, and three employees (sparing the Rosslers' daughter and grandson, among several others) before committing suicide.

Assuming that shooting still happens ITTL (I'm assuming it does; the butterflies are flapping, but not real strong in 1995), that shooting will get more attention ITTL (IOTL, it was overshadowed by the coverage of the aftermath of Selena's murder). It probably becomes the subject of an Investigation Discovery (I still see the subject of true crime becoming popular enough to have its own channel ITTL) episode.

Here's a link for more information: http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/simpson-james-daniel.htm.

That shooting does still happen and right, those theories don't exist ITTL.

Did Rabin still get shot in Israel in 1995 ITTL?

Yes.

G4 Still The Network For Gamers

When Charles Hirschhorn, along with business partner Ted Crosley, created the G4 TV network in 2001, they intended to create the first network for video gamers, a network that would be a one-stop source for game news, reviews, and strategy information, and possibly even break new ground for the times of programs that could be shown about video games. Now in its fifth year on the air, G4 hasn't succeeded in all of its goals, but it's well on its way. The network has seen its ratings hold steady and even increase as it's gained subscribers, and has recently passed the milestone of being in 50 percent of all homes subscribing to cable. Not only is it a success as a premium cable network, it's being added to numerous basic cable packages, with more homes signing on daily. Among the highest rated shows on the G4 network are a pair of reality shows: The Pitch and The Crunch, shows chronicling the struggles and creative processes of game developers in the industry.

The Pitch, which has been G4's highest rated show since 2003, recently launched its first console game: the adventure title Opacity. Created by a team of five young developers led by Abe Stockham, Opacity features four adventurers trapped together in a dungeon who must discover each other and escape. It's already been acclaimed as one of the year's best games, and if it proves to be a sales success, The Pitch could become what series creator Ted Crosley stated that he hoped it would become in a 2003 interview: "the American Idol of video games". Whether or not Opacity will be the Carrie Underwood of the gaming industry has yet to be seen, but so far, it's getting a better reception from game critics than Underwood has received from the music industry.

Then there's the more controversial but also most acclaimed of the two shows: The Crunch, which is a slice-of-life reality show that brings cameras into the game development studio and follows the work of the teams that put video games together. The original season of The Crunch followed the development of the game Invisible Soul, a sort of Devil May Cry-inspired hack and slash being developed for consoles by the independent studio Malthus Games. The show started out following only indie studios, but as the show's success has grown, The Crunch got its first chance to look behind the curtain of a larger studio, profiling the development of Rare's VeloCity in 2004. The show is named after and has brought attention to the practice of "crunch", where developers are required to put in long hours to finish up a game for a deadline. It's a controversial practice that, as the program has shown, has proven to be detrimental to the physical and mental health of the developers who work under it. Crosley has stated that "showing the practice of crunch has brought to light the true cost of gaming, and just what these big tentpole games are demanding of the people who make them". While the program has yet to lead to any meaningful change in the game industry, it has gotten a few large companies, including Activision, to speak up on the practice, with Activision CEO Bobby Kotick stating in a November 2005 interview that: "we are re-examining some of our game development practices, in the hopes of maintaining a developer base capable of producing quality games in the future".

G4 has garnered a fandom not unlike that of MTV's GameTV, which aired from 1995-2000 and is considered to be a cultural touchstone of the late 1990s. While no G4 show has yet garnered the viewership that GameTV has, the network has gotten similar praise for some of its programs, including the oddball news/variety show Focus, the Saturday Night Live-esque sketch show Gamerippers, and Multiplayer Mode, a reality competition show that sees teams of gamers participating in a series of challenges in order to win a $500,000 grand prize and the title of Gamer Gods. As a reflection of G4's recent success, Multiplayer Mode's grand prize started off as $200,000, but more than doubled for the most recent season. G4 has also acquired the rights to a few classic video game cartoons, including the Ruby-Spears Mega Man cartoon. The biggest prize on that front, however, has alluded the network thus far: "We tried to get the late 90s Zelda," said Ted Crosley, "but that one's owned by Disney and they're airing it on their Toon Disney channel, which I can't really blame them for."

G4 is one of the fastest growing premium cable networks, and its streak of success doesn't seem as if it'll be ending anytime soon, which will open the doorway for more acquisitions, bigger names, and bigger budgets. No matter what success comes G4's way, Crosley says that he hopes to keep it true to its roots, and the #1 place for gamers on television.

"As long as I have a say, we'll be the network for gamers," said Crosley. "We're bringing in plenty of them so far."

-from an article in the June 2006 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly

Does G4 have Code Monkeys in development around this time in TTL? I sure hope so, because that show was so frickin' hilarious, but the geniuses running the network at the time canned it after only two seasons.

Does G4 have Code Monkeys in development around this time in TTL? I sure hope so, because that show was so frickin' hilarious, but the geniuses running the network at the time canned it after only two seasons.

G4's been trying to get more fictional content, so there's a good chance we'll see Code Monkeys ITTL.

I wonder how will the TV schedule for 2006 be like.

Friday Night Lights? Dexter? The Office?

Also, I hope the TV writers actually get their conditions sorted, because IOTL that lead to the WGA strike that bungled nearly every TV show, since every writer went along. FNL was affected from what I heard, because all the interesting plot lines had to be cut due to the strike.

I never liked that show. I get that we're not supposed to like the main charecters, but they, and everyone and everyone else in the cast, are just so damn unlikeable that it's kinda stomach-churning. That Jonathan Coulton song is the best part of it.

Last edited:
I wonder how will the TV schedule for 2006 be like.

Friday Night Lights? Dexter? The Office?

Also, I hope the TV writers actually get their conditions sorted, because IOTL that lead to the WGA strike that bungled nearly every TV show, since every writer went along. FNL was affected from what I heard, because all the interesting plot lines had to be cut due to the strike.
Heroes will live.

I never liked that show.I get that we're not supposed to like the main charecters, but they, and everyone and everyone else in the cast, are just so damn unlikeable that it's kinda stomach-churning. That Jonathan Coulton song is the best part of it.
It's not really about the characters- it's about the fact that they're in a video game and anything crazy can and will happen- not to mention the cameos from game creators and designers. We're supposed to laugh because something like this could never happen outside a video game- one episode even had a scene where the show's cartridge had to be "reset".

It's not really about the characters- it's about the fact that they're in a video game and anything crazy can and will happen- not to mention the cameos from game creators and designers. We're supposed to laugh because something like this could never happen outside a video game- one episode even had a scene where the show's cartridge had to be "reset".
Yeah, true. I did like the cameos at least. Still, I hope some elements of the show will bu Butterflied. Looking at YOU, Maria and also most-definitely YOU, Todd.

Status
Not open for further replies.