Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember if anyone's asked this before, so apologies if it's a repeat, but...
What are the Brothers Chaps up to ITTL? Does Homestar Runner still exist?

In OTL, how did the Room ever get made?!?
I believe it was a vanity project. Tommy Wisseau wrote, directed, produced, and starred in it; I believe the cast were mostly friends of his (at least at the time); and they all financed it themselves. It got released the same way all indie films do, I would imagine.

Last edited:
I believe it was a vanity project. Tommy Wisseau wrote, directed, produced, and starred in it; I believe the cast were mostly friends of his (at least at the time); and they all financed it themselves. It got released the same way all indie films do, I would imagine.
Go hunt down a book called The Disaster Artist. Trust me on this.

A Look At Game Over (Part 2)
Ladies and gentlemen, after a much-too-long hiatus, I give to you the five latest quotes from The Top 100 Quotes from "Game Over".

This time, we're focused on celebrity deaths from OTL. All the original quotes are from OTL newscasts, and one rather infamous hand-written note...

#95.

RySenkari said:
The host of the new Family Feud has committed suicide in California. A Los Angeles radio station quotes an unidentified friend who says Ray Combs hanged himself at the Glendale at Venice Medical Center. The hospital says he died of respiratory failure. Combs was taken to the hospital after falling in his Jacuzzi and striking his head. Combs hosted the TV game show from 1988 to 1994, and operated two comedy clubs in Cincinnati. Ray Combs was 40 years old.

— WJW News in Cleveland, Ohio report, June 3rd, 1996

TheQueensKnight said:
Whoa. Fair Play was one of my favorite sitcoms growing up…hard to imagine Combs not being alive. Such a funny guy, too…

JokeLord said:
How does this affect the hosts of Family Feud?

RySenkari said:
Richard Dawson continues hosting until 1995, as OTL. The show will be revived in 1999, with comedian Louie Anderson (who survives ITTL) as the host. Richard Karn (from Home Improvement) takes over as host in 2002, followed by John O’Hurley in 2006 (he becomes very in-demand following his stint on Dancing With the Stars). Comedian Steve Harvey takes over hosting duties in 2010, and his time on the show will bring it back to its former glory. Feud will eclipse Wheel of Fortune as the most-watched syndicated game show in June 2015. Harvey continues hosting into the present-day.

JokeLord said:
Steve Harvey hosting Family Feud? Now THAT’S something I’d like to see… :)

#94.
RySenkari said:
Ladies and gentlemen, earlier tonight here in Kansas City, tragedy befell the World Wrestling Federation and all of us. Owen Hart was set to make an entrance from the ceiling, and he fell from the ceiling. I have the unfortunate responsibility to let everyone know that Owen Hart has died. Owen Hart has tragically died from that accident here tonight.

— Jim Ross, play-by-play commentator for WWF, informing viewers of Owen Hart's death at Over the Edge 1999

Soundwave said:
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT?!?!?!!!!!!!! :'(

manof1004holds said:
Wow. You just killed my cousin’s favorite wrestler!

TheQueensKnight said:
Aw, man. Bret’s never gonna come back to the WWF now… :(

#93.
RySenkari said:
MARGARET WOLF: One of the biggest stars in Tejano music, Corpus Christi’s Selena, is dead.

LEE SAULSEY: The woman suspected of shooting Selena is still holding police at bay; you’re looking at a live picture right now coming to you from navigation where the standoff continues. She has a gun, and has it pointed at her head. It’s our top story tonight, Friday, March 31st, 1995.

WOLF: The shooting happened a little before noon today. She was shot twice in the back; at least one shot severed a major artery. Police say CPR began immediately, but Selena was in critical condition when she left the scene in an ambulance today.

— KRIS 6 News in Corpus Christi, TX report, 6:00PM, March 31st, 1995

Anonymous said:
Oh. My. Lord.

Selena is from my hometown. I can’t imagine what TTL-me would be going through hearing this...

Windex20 said:
This also comes less than a week after Eazy-E’s death. Two music icons lost so close together makes this timeline a literal musical dystopia…

#92.
RySenkari said:
I’m Patrick Stinson with breaking news coverage. Princess Diana is seriously injured and two other people have died following a car crash in Paris. Police confirmed the crash has killed Diana’s companion, film producer Dodi Al-Fayed, and the chauffeur. You are looking at unedited video from the scene where it happened this morning at midnight time in Paris. It happened in a tunnel as Diana’s car was pursued by press photographers; it happened in a tunnel along the river Seine…

— “Made in Hollywood’s” Patrick Stinson, MSNBC News bulletin, August 30th, 1997, 9:50PM Eastern Time

I’ve just been handed, uh, from the Reuters news service, what is marked, uh, “Bulletin”. This, uh, we should point out, as many times as we can, is, uh, being sourced through another news organization. We don’t know, uh, who they talked to, to put this on the Reuters news agency wire. It says “Princess Diana has died, Sky Television says”. Again, uh, this is quoting the Sky Television news service. We’ve been listening to BBC, we’re going to go back to BBC coverage. This all happened at midnight, Paris time, this evening. There’s one of the motorcycles believed to have been, uh, trailing at a high rate of speed, the Mercedes-Benz carrying, um, Princess Diana…

— Brian Williams, reporting for MSNBC News, August 30th, 1997, 11:46PM Eastern Time

For all the viewers joining us at now 1AM Eastern Time, New York time in the United States, we have all evening been covering an unfolding story that took a very, very tragic turn. With confirmation from Buckingham Palace tonight, that the world has lost Princess Diana, at age 36, dead in a car crash in Paris, along with her companion of the past several weeks, Dodi Al-Fayed…

— Brian Williams, reporting for MSNBC News, August 31st, 1997, 1:00AM Eastern Time

Tripathi VI said:
Dear God. Why. Just…why?

Soundwave said:
Wow. A death this high-profile will have them cracking down on paparazzi worse than they did after Celine Dion’s accident…

RySenkari said:
If it means any consolation, Celine Dion will survive ITTL. We’ll have more information when we do our Grammy update coming up very soon.

GreatEmancipator1865 said:
Was it just the paparazzi chasing them, or other factors?

Jagen said:
Media will blame it on paparazzi at first, but a deeper investigation will reveal that the driver is intoxicated, and drives too fast..

#91.
RySenkari said:
I have it good, very good, and I'm grateful, but since the age of seven, I've become hateful towards all humans in general. Only because it seems so easy for people to get along that have empathy. Only because I love and feel sorry for people too much I guess.

Thank you all from the pit of my burning, nauseous stomach for your letters and concern during the past years. I'm too much of an erratic, moody baby! I don't have the passion anymore, and so remember, it's better to burn out than to fade away.

Peace, love, empathy.

Kurt Cobain

Frances and Courtney, I'll be at your alter (sp).

Please keep going Courtney, for Frances.

For her life, which will be so much happier without me.

I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU!

— excerpt from suicide note left by Kurt Cobain, found by police beside Cobain’s dead body, April 5th, 1994

Owweed said:
Is it wrong that I feel like crying after reading this? This is so much like something Kurt would actually write, it’s scary! It’s so heart-wrenching!

Windex20 said:
I know. I know he was in a lot of pain around this time, but DAMN.

Last edited:
I feel like in TTL, I would continue just lurking in the thread, reading the updates as they came out, not having had the time to read everything and instead just skim through the TVTropes page, asking if Dark Water received a revival.

Paradox-full said:
So, Chile not only suffers Bochardeau in the World Cup of 1998 but it also doesn't qualify for 2002, it loses in the semifinals of the Olympics with a last minute goal, the international team's captain(Raimundo Tupper) kills himself in 1995, Andrés Bobe still dies and La Ley doesn't get to the number one with Eternidad. Do we get at least one good thing?

Deleted member 100251

I've noticed a lot of people have made portable N64s and GCs, then post videos of them on YouTube.
Have people done that ITTL with the UNES, or is there too much hardware in it to make it fully portable?

I've noticed a lot of people have made portable N64s and GCs, then post videos of them on YouTube.
Have people done that ITTL with the UNES, or is there too much hardware in it to make it fully portable?
The issue always is the media, with CD you will need something the size of a Walkman Disc...but is possible, did someone have make a portable PSOne yet?

Deleted member 100251

Here is one that uses a drive inside the console itself: PSOneP

I've seen people modify the Wii U's Tablet into a portable GameCube, but... the discs and drive are outside the actual system. Which makes it prone to damage.

GreatEmancipator1865 said:
What was Warner Brothers thinking when they made ITTL's Batman And Robin? Were they going for a more sexual and overall shittier remake of the Adam West Batman series? Even the more Ace Ventura-esque performance Jim Carrey gave as the Riddler in TTL's Batman Forever has more dignity than Arnie as Mister Freeze. So. Many. Shitty. Ice. Puns. Between this and the shitty Captain America movie where he steals a goddamn car, it seems like Cryo has a vendetta against superhero movies. And the less we say about Shaq as Steel the better.

Spider-Man, on the other hand, seems like it'd be amazing. Hopefully they can follow it up with an equally amazing sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.