"Mary Whitehouse will never accept this" : A Dr Who Production History (Inspired by Guajolote)

The question is who will be the 6th Doctor? The current favourites are Ron Moody and Geoffrey Bayldon. A decision will be made in the summer..
Both those choices feel like a step down. But maybe they were really big in the early 80s?

Well, he WAS a cunt and always will be.
The Adric Appreciation Society

ea1d0593947e200ad9b4bc60a00dc7ef.jpg

Number of members currently Zero . Number of past members Zero . :p :p

When it came to six we decided that there should a return to more of the mystery surrounding Doctor Who. The Five Doctors revealed an awful lot about the past of the Timelords and I wanted to cloud them over again. With Six it was a case of there was a lot he didn't know and was troubled about it.

(Hinchcliffe)

Or Brian Blessed .
I should have said Blessed played Rassillon.

SERIES 21
Rules of Engagement
The Doctor and Mel land on a world that is in conflict with it's neighbour and find that the casualties are picked by a lottery

Division
On the planet Suraxis the Doctor and Mel discover the strange existence of two races.

Sandstorm
In present day Lanzarote the Doctor and Mel help and archeological dig and foil a age old evil. Mel chooses to stay on Earth and the Doctor is joined by Leila Brown (Stacy Dorning)

The Caves Of Androzani
AS OTL

sd.jpeg
From "Sandstorm"

Last edited:
Rules of Engagement
The Doctor and Mel land on a world that is in conflict with it's neighbour and find that the casualties are picked by a lottery
Why does that sound familiar?
tosr023_16.jpg

Well I figure out what that reminds me of when I finish this episode of Star Trek.

Why does that sound familiar?
tosr023_16.jpg

Well I figure out what that reminds me of when I finish this episode of Star Trek.
Top of the class.

"What did you say when he told you he'd got the role?"
" I said 'pull your trousers up, I'm not kissing it! I was thrilled for him but also worried sick. If you're Doctor Who you're right at the top and the man I knew off and on camera had two very different sides. I feared another Graham Chapman"

Leela looks down at the body of the man on the floor of the TARDIS. He groans and picks himself up off the floor. He turns and says

"Hello, I'm the Doctor. Who Are you?

rm.jpeg

Garrison

Donor
It's an interesting alternate choice of Doctors but I'm not sure I can see it avoiding the problem of a new generation at the BBC seeing it as old hat and wanting it gone. The issues get worse for the Doctor the further into the 80s it lasts. The first could of seasons of ST:TNG could by and large be ignored but after that its going to attract some unflattering comparisons and then you have the X-Files and others on the horizon.

It's an interesting alternate choice of Doctors but I'm not sure I can see it avoiding the problem of a new generation at the BBC seeing it as old hat and wanting it gone. The issues get worse for the Doctor the further into the 80s it lasts. The first could of seasons of ST:TNG could by and large be ignored but after that its going to attract some unflattering comparisons and then you have the X-Files and others on the horizon.
Dr Who in the 1980's was at its worst moment. We know the story so there's no point repeating it. Let us see how DW proceeds.

Last edited:
It's an interesting alternate choice of Doctors but I'm not sure I can see it avoiding the problem of a new generation at the BBC seeing it as old hat and wanting it gone. The issues get worse for the Doctor the further into the 80s it lasts.
Without going over the old history I think the bigger problem was viewing figures. If Dr Who was still pulling in decent numbers then it is safe, whatever you think of the BBC executives of that generation they were not completely stupid. If a show is getting good ratings without costing a fortune to make, it is going to get recommissioned whatever management's personal view of the show.

That's not to say it will be easy to save, there were reasons viewing figures were falling, just that DW is not automatically doomed.