Mary Tudor Has a Son

krieger

Banned
A foreign unknow male over a native girl who would bring Portugal in the union? And in any case Philip will not take risks with the inheritance

Not exactly unknown, the fact that he is Philip's son would be known and by Aragonese law he is over his niece.

Not exactly unknown, the fact that he is Philip's son would be known and by Aragonese law he is over his niece.

Why do I have a feeling there'll be an icky, uncle-niece marriage arranged to solve this mess? Particularly if Mary were to have a SECOND son (a LIVE child in the cradle might cause Felipe to view his wife dirrently than OTL, after all)

krieger

Banned
Why do I have a feeling there'll be an icky, uncle-niece marriage arranged to solve this mess? Particularly if Mary were to have a SECOND son (a LIVE child in the cradle might cause Felipe to view his wife dirrently than OTL, after all)

That's why I would like Carlos to have a son - Henry IX would have precedence over the niece, but not over the nephew.

VVD0D95

Banned
That's why I would like Carlos to have a son - Henry IX would have precedence over the niece, but not over the nephew.
Would he? In Castile the daughter would have precedence over the brother l, abd one imagines Aragon provablt follows suit

krieger

Banned
Would he? In Castile the daughter would have precedence over the brother l, abd one imagines Aragon provablt follows suit

No, Aragon and Castile had different succesion laws - in Aragon uncle had precedence over a daughter as can be noticed in Martin's I ascension over Yolande. And, IOTL it was Castile which changed it's succesion laws to Aragonese - when Philip V passed "Auto acordado", Castile started to follow semi-Salic law (hence we have Carlist wars, and what's funny - carlism was always most fiercely supported by core areas of former kingdom of Aragon).

I think Aragon would follow Castile and Portugal in this and Felipe will do anything he can for securing the union of Aragon and Castile...

Well first of all, baby Henry/Philip/John (not sure of the name) would have a pretty fantastic inheritance, as the marriage contract between Mary I and Felipe II stated that their son was to inherit not only England and Ireland, but also the Spanish Netherlands. Considering that the Spanish tried to detach the Netherlands several times, that should work well. Now, second, everything will depend on dates. You have the Prince of Wales born in April /May 1555 (the estimated date for Mary to give birth according to her doctors), a year or so before his grandfather abdicated and divided his lands between his son and brother. Now the marriage contract made Mary's son heir of England and the Netherlands, so I'm not sure if the Netherlands passes to Felipe or directly to his son (depends on what Charles wants to do). What happens to the Netherlands is a big deal, but I'll come back to that later. Right now we're focusing on England. This brings us to Lady Elizabeth.

He has a pretty fantastic inheritance, but can he hold England from internal threats?

I thought of a joke timeline. Once Phillip is 100% convinced Elizabeth's conversion is genuine, he's like "well, even though I'm Henry/Philip/John's regent, I have stuff to do in Spain so I'm going to have you 7 be a council and anytime 6 of you agree on something, it counts as my word. Elizabeth, you're on it and oyu're the only woman on it"

So... how long before Phillip is attending the funeral for his son?