Mary of Burgundy, mother of two nations

Mother of Two Nations
On May 10, 1470, Margaret of York would give birth to a short lived son named Philip who would live until 1490, Mary of Burgundy would marry the Eldest son of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II, Archduke Christopher, providing him with three surviving two children, Frederick(May 10, 1474), Margaret(January 2, 1476) and Marie(June 4, 1478) who would survive infancy.

Margaret would be seen as the match of the then Edward Prince of Wales when the match of Anne of Brittany and Edward, Prince of Wales seemed impossible due to the French who would want to marry her and a match between Anne of York and Frederick was seen as possible and instead the match between Margaret and Edward, Prince of Wales was approved and Princess Margaret’s Lancastrian pedigree was seen to be the best priority for Edward IV to stop the Lancastrians but Edward V would himself choose a marriage to Anne of Brittany instead Margaret was made the bride for John Albert of Poland.

On 1474, Maximilian, the future Maximilian I would choose to marry Margaret of Thuringia in order to solidify his future plans of candidacy in Bohemia, as she has a claim to Bohemia herself, the marriage would prove fruitful and helped him in Bohemia and defeated his Jagiellonian rival on 1480 in Bohemia and had his niece, Margaret married to John Albert of Poland.

By 1487, Philip IV of Burgundy would marry Joanna of Aragon b. May 10, 1473

On 1481, on the deaths of her first husband and her father, the matches of her daughter in her first wedding have been settled and Mary of Burgundy would marry Charles VIII on 1484, adding two further children to the heirs of the Burgundian estates or state, she would give birth to Louis(January 2, 1485) and Isabella(June 3, 1487), on the deaths of Philip IV on 1490 and of Mary I of Burgundy on 1492, the two nations of Germany and France would fight for the inheritance of the Burgundian estates and Archduke Frederick would marry the widowed Joanna of Aragon.

Last edited:
I'm relatively sure the French can't block the match b/w Edward and Anne, they've already broken the match between Liz and Charles, stealing the PoW's bride on top is going to result in war.

I found a way to integrate the La Beltraneja and Mary of Burgundy scenario.

both.jpg

The excellent queen
On 1469, seeing the betrayal of his sister Isabella, Henry IV would quickly arrange the betrothal of his daughter Juana to the son of Alfonso V, John, Juana herself would be delighted by this.

Juana I of Castile would have two children with John of Portugal, namely, Alfonso(December 2, 1476) and Juana(May 2, 1482)

During the reign of Henry IV, Isabel, Queen Consort of Aragon was forced to have her name sake daughter, Isabel be betrothed to Alfonso of Portugal, the later Alfonso VI as arranged by Henry IV of Castile, Isabel of Aragon would be angry at this match and would be forced to bow.

On 1490, Henry IV of Castile would die and Juana I of Castile would start to reign and Isabella of Castile was forced to give her daughter to Joanna I of Castile.

The arrangement would be honored to stabilize the succession of the future Queen Joanna of Castile and Henry IV would betroth Queen Joanna’s daughter, Joanna to Louis the grandson of Louis the Spider of France.

Juana I of Castile was said to be quoted to Isabel, Queen Consort of Aragon “Well the only alternative to our situation is your Kingdom being surrounded”.

Last edited:
Young Joana I of Castile in the TV Series Rainha Joana
juana_beltraneja.jpg

The devastated Joanna of Aragon and Archduke Frederick in the Series Rainha Joana
hqdefault (6).jpg

Last edited:
Timeline Matches
Charles I of Burgundy m. Isabelle of Bourbon(b) Margaret of York(c)

1b. Mary I of Burgundy b. 1457 m. Archduke Christopher of Austria b. 1455 d. 1481(a) Charles VIII(b)

1b1a. Frederick of Austria b. 1474 d. 1508 m. Anna of Aragon b. 1473

1b1a1a. Mary, Countess, Duchess of Brabant, Countess of Holland and Flanders b. 1492 m. Frederick IV, Holy Roman Emperor b. 1488

1b1a1a. Eleanor of Burgundy b. 1496 m. Christian I of Denmark

1b2a. Margaret of Austria b. 1476 m. John Albert of Poland

With issue

1b3a. Maria of Austria b. 1478 m. Juan, Duke of Girona b. 1478 d. 1497 Philibert II, Duke of Savoy d. 1504(b) Henry VII(c)

1b4b. Louis XII b. 1485 m. Joanna of Castile b. 1482

1b5b. Isabelle of France b. 1487 m. James IV of Scotland

2c. Philip of Burgundy b. 1470 d. 1488 m. Anna of Aragon b. 1473(a)

Joanna I of Castile m. John II of Portugal(a)

1a. Henry V of Castile, Portugal b. 1476 m. Isabel I of Aragon

2a. Joanna b. 1482 m. Louis XII b. 1485

Margaret of Thuringia m. Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor

1a. Anna of Austria b. 1477 m. Vladislaus II of Hungary

2a. Elizabeth of Austria b. 1478 m. Charles VIII of France

3a. Frederick IV, Holy Roman Emperor b. 1488 m.

4a. Ernest b. 1490, Grandmaster to Teutonic Knights

Isabella of Castile m. Ferdinand II of Aragon(a)

1a. Isabel of Aragon b. 1470 m. Henry V of Castile and Portugal b. 1476

With Issue

2a. Joanna of Aragon b. 1473 m. Philip IV of Burgundy(a) Frederick of Austria, Duke Brabant, Count of Holland and Flanders(b)

3a. Juan of Aragon b. 1478 d. 1497

5a. Maria of Aragon b. 1482?

6a. Catherine of Aragon 1485 m. Arthur, Prince of Wales (a) Henry VIII(b)