Mario Goes Hollywood: A Collaborative Timeline

In fact, i've started writing potential themes and character stories in order to find interesting things to add to the clock tower movie's story...however, i'll only share it with you guys tomorrow, cause i'm going to sleep.

Alright, so i have written a rough first draft of the characters based on what i've read on the clock tower wiki, their appearance and my own imagination. Some of the things i have written might be controversial to some, and i'm not entirely comfortable with a few of my choices. Its a rough draft, anyway, so things can definitely change:

Laura
She is described as gentle and elegant. She is best friends with anne. She seeks approval from anne, whose relationship with her is slowly revealed to be a very abusive and manipulative sempai-kohai relationship the further the madness goes and the more the panic and stress settles in. Disturbing stockholm syndrome, coming from the fact that she was abandoned for not being womanly enough by her abusive parents.

Anne
She loves wealthy men. Willfull, headstrong and the leader of the group. She is actually an insecure, selfish coward who tries hard to act like the ideal feminist from her SJW beliefs, and desperately wants to acquire wealth and power, due to living in piverty her entire life. She betrays her friends. A supposed leader dies a coward's death. Is later revealed to have been manipulated by mary, the latter promising her the love she never had as an abandoned orphan and that she would become the strong, independent woman that she always dreamed of being. She would be killed by mary, exposing her for the coward that she is.

Lotte

The tomboy of the group, often being mistaken for a lesbian, and frequently mocked for it, being called butch, snowflake and she-male, among other things. She is the voice of reason, who is tired of people judging her on her looks and aversion for anything feminine. She lasts the second longest of jennifer's friends (the longest being anne), due to her smarts and frequently staying close to her, and is the first girl to realise what is going on. She has the most affinity with jennifer, due to her being the only person to accept her as she is. She dies, but not before telling the truth about anne and mary's to jennifer. Might change her name, though, cause lotte's a pretty stupid name.

Mary barrows

Cunning, manipulative. She imprisons the girls in the barrows castle to see which one of them is worthy of being the daughter she never had. A real elizabeth bathory-type. (This character's the hardest to write for me...i not sure at all what kind of story i wanna tell with her.)

Simon barrows

The patriarch of the barrows family. Trapped in a cage in the shed. Had become a cannibal out of starvation, due to mary's torture. When jennifer finds him, she gives him meat to calm him, then he tells her of the story behind the barrows family curse, the "cradle under the stars" and his life and abusive marriage with mary in a chilling speech reminiscent of hannibal lecter in silence of the lambs. (Just imagine mark hamill doing the speech in his chillingest voice possible :love::love:)

So yeah, what i'm trying to do with the script is that i wanna tone down on the whole occult/satanic aspects of the original game and focus more on fleshing out the characters and psychological horror a la silent hill, ringu and ju-on (those last two films were pretty popular in the early 00s, so it won't hurt to add that). The reason why is because:

1) there is almost zero lore concerning jennifer's friends.

2) i prefer subtle horror like silent hill, let the right one in, the shining and the aformentioned silent hill, ringu and ju-on.

3) i find the whole occult/satanist tropes to be incredibly cliche and gimmicky.

I also have the intention of deconstructing feminist tropes and ideologies. This is the part where i'm least confident in, and i definitely need help in that department, what with me being unfamiliar with them and i don't wanna come across as insensitive.

So yeah, is there anything to change? You got anything that could help me deal with more touchy subjects?

Last edited:
Mary barrows

Cunning, manipulative. She imprisons the girls in the barrows castle to see which one of them is worthy of being the daughter she never had. A real elizabeth bathory-type. (This character's the hardest to write for me...i not sure at all what kind of story i wanna tell with her.)
You know, this make so much sense thinking about it, the real monster always was her in a way, now is very well done as with allison as her lead, allow very unique interpretations, yeah Clock Tower OTL played the tropes of Horror in conventinal way, here we played again with unconventional ways, could work well in the gallio style of Argento influence

As for actresses to play jennifer's friends...to be honest, i don't really know who to pick. It's hard for me to think about teenage actresses capable of pulling off complex characters like those on my draft. 😓

As for actresses to play jennifer's friends...to be honest, i don't really know who to pick. It's hard for me to think about teenage actresses capable of pulling off complex characters like those on my draft. 😓
Ummm maybe some other horror actress? we might need to skim, but post scream there where a lot of horror movies too

Alright, i've got a shortlist of young actresses of the time that may have potential and are, at the time, (relatively) unknown enough to be affordable for the small budget that the clock tower movie will most likely have:

-Elisha cuthbert. That was before she was in 24.
-angela bettis
-clea duvall
-ali larter
--lauren ambrose

I'll try and search for more actresses, but for now, this all i've found.

Hrm, while I do think the fleshing out of the characters is pretty good, I'm not entirely certain on going for the deconstruction of feminist ideologies as a part of the script. It seems a bit too... how do I put it? More 2010s than 2000s. Hell, SJW wasn't really a thing at the time (and in its early definition was basically making it a buzzword for slacktivism,) so I'd probably tone down those aspects. Otherwise, I do think a lot of the dynamics still work.

Anne as the leader of the group works, though I'd have her die after Laura since 1.) That's closer to the games and 2.) Lotte being closer to Jennifer would make Mary killing her more of a shock.

As a quick fix, Lotte will be named Charlotte in the movie version (with the added nickname of Charlie)

Downplaying the occult aspects is a bit of a mixed bag for a few reasons. On the one hand, they're a big part of the story and its Argento inspirations plus it would be difficult to deal with Dan. On the other hand, those supernatural elements were kind of a sword in the spleen for the Clock Tower franchise (especially with Struggle Within and 3) and I can see them driving off audiences. Certainly I can imagine people riffing on the giant, deformed monster baby made of corpses.

The deaths would be as follows.

• Laura gets the infamous shower death.
  • Anne gets the window death. Yeah, I know there's the ceiling death, but the manga uses the window death, so it's considered the most canon as a result.
  • Lotte gets shot by Mary as we lead into the climax.

Yeah, you're right, they didn't really talked about feminism/SJW back then. Hell, i grew up in the late 90-00s, so i should've remembered that. But, surely, there must have been some sort of equivalent to the feminism or strong, independant women agenda that the world is pushing nowadays back then, right? Cause what i wanted to do with anne is that, in the first act, the movie shows her as this strong, independant woman, but, when shit slowly but surely hits the fan, we reveal her true nature as a selfish, insecure coward, and the one that lasts to the end is the most feminine-looking, vulnerable (well, she looks vulnerable. she actually isn't, but you know what i mean) and reserved of the group in jennifer.

Like i said, the downplaying of the occult/satanic element is mainly because of my personal preference for more subtle, psychological horror. I know its part of the argento influence, but...yeah, it's mostly because of my personal tastes, sorry. You can make the giant, deformed baby in the basement a hideously deformed fetus a la eraserhead or PT instead, i dunno...

Also, another preference of mine is to have a slow build-up of the characters, so that we gradually reveal their issues with each other before the deaths happen. Like that, the deaths would have more emotional impact and they would keep the audience on their toes, making them feel lime everybody could die at any moments. I also like the characters dying deaths that fits either their personality or their goals and ambitions. That's why i said that anne, the supposed strong leader, dies a coward's death

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right, they didn't really talked about feminism/SJW back then. Hell, i grew up in the late 90-00s, so i should've remembered that. But, surely, there must have been some sort of equivalent to the feminism or strong, independant women agenda that the world is pushing nowadays back then, right? Cause what i wanted to do with anne is that, in the first act, the movie shows her as this strong, independant woman, but, when shit slowly but surely hits the fan, we reveal her true nature as a selfish, insecure coward, and the one that lasts to the end is the most feminine-looking, vulnerable (well, she looks vulnerable. she actually isn't, but you know what i mean) and reserved of the group in jennifer.

Like i said, the downplaying of the occult/satanic element is mainly because of my personal preference for more subtle, psychological horror. I know its part of the argento influence, but...yeah, it's mostly because of my personal tastes, sorry. You can make the giant, deformed baby in the basement a hideously deformed fetus a la eraserhead or PT instead, i dunno...

Also, another preference of mine is to have a slow build-up of the characters, so that we gradually reveal their issues with each other before the deaths happen. Like that, the deaths would have more emotional impact and they would keep the audience on their toes, making them feel lime everybody could die at any moments. I also like the characters dying deaths that fits either their personality or their goals and ambitions. That's why i said that anne, the supposed strong leader, dies a coward's death

90s-2000s was the time of third wave feminism.

I'd say that the themes of it wouldn't mix with the overall plot. Especially given De Palma himself faced accusation of being misogynistic by critics. The slow build will certainly work, especially since this won't be a movie with a heavy body count. I think another reason for having Anne die second is that usually, the second one to die in horror films is the one that takes command and tries to keep things together. Have Anne try that after Laura dies and it all just goes to shit, she throws Jennifer to Bobby and makes a run for it, then gets thrown out a window later.

90s-2000s was the time of third wave feminism.

I'd say that the themes of it wouldn't mix with the overall plot. Especially given De Palma himself faced accusation of being misogynistic by critics. The slow build will certainly work, especially since this won't be a movie with a heavy body count. I think another reason for having Anne die second is that usually, the second one to die in horror films is the one that takes command and tries to keep things together. Have Anne try that after Laura dies and it all just goes to shit, she throws Jennifer to Bobby and makes a run for it, then gets thrown out a window later.

Yeah, ok, that could work. Since anne lost her kouhai/victim in laura, she tries to manipulate jennifer into the same twisted dynamic that she had with laura due to jennifer looking vulnerable...but then, jennifer sees through the bluff (either on her own or thanks to charlotte, i dunno.) And wants none of that shit, showing that she isn't as vulnerable as anne thought, prompting the latter run away after her failed attempt. Anne would then run into mary, who promises her the wealth and love that she never had due to being an orphan, on the condition that she leaves her friends behind. After the girls seemingly reconcile with her, anne lures them to scissorman and leaves them to die by his hands, running away to her promised wealth...that's where she would get thrown by the window, as mary would scold her for being a selfish, greedy coward willing to sacrifice her loved ones for her personal gain.

Alright, that's cool.

So far we need to cast the other girls, Clock Tower could be a trully suprise hit both in universe and for us, specially how the movie is shaping, could work as decon-recon horror movie as scream was too

So far we need to cast the other girls, Clock Tower could be a trully suprise hit both in universe and for us, specially how the movie is shaping, could work as decon-recon horror movie as scream was too

Is there a site like transfermarkt, but for actors and actresses? Cause, honestly, i have hit a roadblock when it comes to finding late 90s-early 00s talented young actresses on the cheap. It'd be cool to have some kind of search engine for actors and actresses in the same style as sports websites like baseball almanac or transfermarkt.

Well in the interim, there is a casting group needed for the Spyro movie.

as Spyro
as Sparx
as Elora
as Barathelos
as Hunter
as Gnasty Gnorc
as Ripto
as The Sorcerer Queen

As that is VA....i'll got tangential...can we use Celebrity VA? i could imagine Spyro as Jim Carrey or Will Smith some SNL comedian...
It is VA. As for Spyro, I'm basing his movie counterpart off the Legend of Spyro. So I thinking someone young a la Haley Joel Osmont. As for Carrey or Smith, he could do Ripto.

It is VA. As for Spyro, I'm basing his movie counterpart off the Legend of Spyro. So I thinking someone young a la Haley Joel Osmont. As for Carrey or Smith, he could do Ripto.
He would be very good on it and if play his card right, would be the official voice of Spyro even on later movies. i think Smith could work well for Hunter,,carrey might be for other movie