Mario Goes Hollywood: A Collaborative Timeline

I'd say Wang Films for Crash, since they tend for the more energetic, slapstick style of animation that would fit well with Crash. It's gonna be interesting as we head into the 2000s to see more video game properties go for animation. That's not to say the bubble has burst on live-action video game films, but the animated Sonic movies have definitely started something.
Agreed. I can see crash and sonic 3 doing well enough to delay the 2d animation slump at least for a few years.

Edit: Just realized that typo.

Last edited:
. That's not to say the bubble has burst on live-action video game films, but the animated Sonic movies have definitely started something.
It show Animation can work as well as a format, Live Action is still a prestige/high one, just show not everything is force to Live Action, Example Contra and Metal gear are live action, but other could be animation using konami as example

I'm Still Wondering the future...maybe a videogame adaptation goes straight to TV rather cinema? that would be interesting(as say before, for me Fire emblem would work better that way, as an anthology series as FE history take time to develop, Disney/ABC could develop it for themselves or HBO/SHOWTIME/STARZ)

I'm Still Wondering the future...maybe a videogame adaptation goes straight to TV rather cinema? that would be interesting(as say before, for me Fire emblem would work better that way, as an anthology series as FE history take time to develop, Disney/ABC could develop it for themselves or HBO/SHOWTIME/STARZ)
Both fire emblem, fanicom wars, and more of the tom Clancy works would there.

Okay, been a while since I've worked on this and a few things to clear up.

1. I'm dropping all previous exclusivity restrictions on games. While the idea was to give each console their own line-up, it's mostly been a hassle.

2. Capcom Business: This is mainly how Capcom is handling the Marvel buyout, which has mainly been collecting the film rights to their properties and making deals with Fox. Fox already had X-Men and would no doubt want the Spider-Man rights, which they would get on agreement to release the 1994 Fantastic Four live-action film. They did, though as a direct-to-video release. This, along with future releases, would be what convinces Capcom to give Holywood a second chance with their IPs and might mean some retconning of the releases of the Japanese Street Fighter movies (potentially slating them for early 2000s rather than late 2000s)

3. The Fate of Wing Commander: So, Wing Commander has been oddly one of the more difficult hurdles to climb over and part of me is considering a bit of a hard sell. Should we just butterfly the movie away? We'd still have Contra 2 on our schedule and it seems like none of us has a fully figured out plot. As for why it got cancelled? Well, Fox had this other sci-fi movie coming out and they didn't want to have the two movies competing with each other, so one of them had to get the axe. But, I'll leave it to you guys, should Wing Commander become the first scrapped video game movie?

Last edited:
1. I'm dropping all previous exclusivity restrictions on games. While the idea was to give each console their own line-up, it's mostly been a hassle.
Well....well...of course first party apply...Sony will now have big troubles short term.

The Fate of Wing Commander: So, Wing Commander has been oddly one of the more difficult hurdles to climb over and part of me is considering a bit of a hard sell. Should we just butterfly the movie away?
Like everything on Hollywood...in Development hell..if we can push the movie, maybe, if not, yeah the first cancellation, those always happen anyway

Well....well...of course first party apply...Sony will now have big troubles short term.

Like everything on Hollywood...in Development hell..if we can push the movie, maybe, if not, yeah the first cancellation, those always happen anyway
I'm okay with letting wing commander go. I just wanna move onto Crash.

Yeah let’s dump Wing Commander.
I'm okay with letting wing commander go. I just wanna move onto Crash.
3. The Fate of Wing Commander: So, Wing Commander has been oddly one of the more difficult hurdles to climb over and part of me is considering a bit of a hard sell. Should we just butterfly the movie away? We'd still have Contra 2 on our schedule and it seems like none of us has a fully figured out plot. As for why it got cancelled? Well, Fox had this other sci-fi movie coming out and they didn't want to have the two movies competing with each other, so one of them had to get the axe. But, I'll leave it to you guys, should Wing Commander become the first scrapped video game movie?
Democracy have talked, Fox cancelled Wing Commander, a shame, those things happened, sorry Mark and other people involved

As say before, first party and second not included

Last edited:
Alright, with apologies to Chris Roberts, Wing Commander is off the table.

Now, for Contra 2, the major change will most likely be the casting of Ray Poward Jr. the son of the original Ray Poward who died in the last film. So far the two I've thought of are Chris Evans (for the historical in-joke) and Karl Urban (to take him off Doom)

1588538371000.png

1588538581180.png

Of course, if you guys got better options, I'm all ears.

So, a minor error I made in the Gaming in 1998 section was putting Dragon Quest Monsters on the Nomad, which given that the Nomad library was just the Genesis library, wouldn't have worked. But that got me to thinking... could Sega-NEC release a new handheld after the discontinuation of the Nomad? Maybe even before then?

So, a minor error I made in the Gaming in 1998 section was putting Dragon Quest Monsters on the Nomad, which given that the Nomad library was just the Genesis library, wouldn't have worked. But that got me to thinking... could Sega-NEC release a new handheld after the discontinuation of the Nomad? Maybe even before then?
They could just make Monsters a brand new game with Genesis level of detail, unless we butterfly away the Nomad and make an original thing first.

They could just make Monsters a brand new game with Genesis level of detail, unless we butterfly away the Nomad and make an original thing first.

It's possible. Sega and NEC did their deal back in 1994, so development could switch the Nomad into a new handheld, the Sega Pluto, which I'd say would get a late 1995 or 1996 release. Sometime after the Saturn would be good.

If we do, can I make it as powerful as the turbo charger?

It's possible. Sega and NEC did their deal back in 1994, so development could switch the Nomad into a new handheld, the Sega Pluto, which I'd say would get a late 1995 or 1996 release. Sometime after the Saturn would be good.
If we do, can I make it as powerful as the turbo charger?
Battery life still prohibit power in handheld a lot, regardless could be a more powerful Wonderswam as NEC otl did manufactured the Wonderswam chips so they could created a more Powerful SoC with enough acceptable Battery Life(would be between a weaker GBA in some functioncs), or just butterfly away, did we not butterfly away system exclusives besides first parties games anyway?

Battery life still prohibit power in handheld a lot, regardless could be a more powerful Wonderswam as NEC otl did manufactured the Wonderswam chips so they could created a more Powerful SoC with enough acceptable Battery Life(would be between a weaker GBA in some functioncs), or just butterfly away, did we not butterfly away system exclusives besides first parties games anyway?

Yeah, that's been retconned out.

So, instead of the WonderSwan, we get the Sega Neptune, and because I am a dumb sometimes, I forgot the Game Gear was still running until 1997, so let's that the Neptune releases in 1998 with Dragon Quest Monsters as the pack-in game.

So, instead of the WonderSwan, we get the Sega Neptune, and because I am a dumb sometimes, I forgot the Game Gear was still running until 1997, so let's that the Neptune releases in 1998 with Dragon Quest Monsters as the pack-in game.
Could work very well, so that way could work as ITTL wonderswam(imagine crystal level with similar battery life) and would be a nice handheld... of course nothing to survive pokemon wave but one very good itself, an improvement over gamegear too.

You can thank Europe to that GG long tail life too.