Mario Goes Hollywood: A Collaborative Timeline

Ummm, interesting, and Nice Contra will be first. That would be amazing(and take some cues of Independence Day) would be nice, i think i know what compromise you've in mind

Actually, that was the compromise. Have McTiernan do Contra and Carpenter do Metal Gear. Honestly, it'd probably be a while before Metal Gear gets considered a viable farm for movies, even with how cinematic it is, and by the time it would be, I imagine Rollerball would've happened and McTiernan would've been pretty much out of the director pool for good.

Actually, that was the compromise. Have McTiernan do Contra and Carpenter do Metal Gear. Honestly, it'd probably be a while before Metal Gear gets considered a viable farm for movies, even with how cinematic it is, and by the time it would be, I imagine Rollerball would've happened and McTiernan would've been pretty much out of the director pool for good.
That was what i've on mind, specially as Mctiernan was the director of predator, he is the best fit for contra.

Wonder If Square would Think to adapt FF, specially as Zelda is doing blockbuster that might have put hollywood in mind to look for the next 'big fantasy series/franchise' like LOTR and now GOT was in OTL

Indeed. Metal Gear didn't become a phenomenon until after Solid's release so I would speculate it would be 2000-1 at the earliest. That said, if TTL's Ultra/N64 goes with the CD format, will Konami release MGS on that platform?

That said, what will be the fates of series like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider? I could see that latter as a PS-exclusive with Lara Croft as an unofficial mascot.

Indeed. Metal Gear didn't become a phenomenon until after Solid's release so I would speculate it would be 2000-1 at the earliest. That said, if TTL's Ultra/N64 goes with the CD format, will Konami release MGS on that platform?

That said, what will be the fates of series like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider? I could see that latter as a PS-exclusive with Lara Croft as an unofficial mascot.

Both are probably going to be multiplatform releases, the only reason neither Capcom nor Eidos brought the sequels to the Saturn was due to low sales.

Both are probably going to be multiplatform releases, the only reason neither Capcom nor Eidos brought the sequels to the Saturn was due to low sales.
Cof tomb raider 1 was multi, ditto resi, meaning both would go all 3 consoles...unless sony buy core design...

So video game movies we've talked about so far in the future. These are just the ideas I've seen talked about on the thread:
- Contra
- Sonic
- Mega Man
- Metroid
- Kirby
- Metal Gear
- Resident Evil
- Turok
- Tomb Raider

Konami OTL was pushing the idea of putting MGS in N64 with cartidge, but the issue was mp3 audio compression was never ready. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-comes-to-the-nintendo-64/1100-2466851/

Yep, there's also pokemon on the horizon but that's 99 at the earliest.
Pokemon would be the same as OTL, too early for CGI like creatures like detective píkachu.

So video game movies we've talked about so far in the future. These are just the ideas I've seen talked about on the thread:
- Contra
- Sonic
- Mega Man
- Metroid
- Kirby
- Metal Gear
- Resident Evil
- Turok
- Tomb Raider
So Far Seems Sonic and Contra are confirmed, the rest is speculation how could work in the silver screen.

I was pondering if Mega Man could take the place of OTL's Titan A.E. with Don Bluth/Gary Goldman animating it.
Depends, Could Capcom trust on them? there a chance specially if they did cool down after what happened to street figther, could fund it...and could save him to do other videogames.

In terms of Resi. I think I'd like to see it be more of a straight horror movie. Don't have Paul WS Anderson direct, he's fine for MK but not for Resu. Maybe get Romero. Keep it to the Mansion.

Last edited:
Would he get interested? he might be already doing A.I was something he loved at the time, dunno...

At this point, Steven and Stanley Kubrick are discussing ideas about it. In order to have the time to do both mega man and A.I., he would have to let someone else direct The Lost World.

At this point, Steven and Stanley Kubrick are discussing ideas about it. In order to have the time to do both mega man and A.I., he would have to let someone else direct The Lost World.
That is why i see it very hard to get interested... unless Megaman Butterfly away Amistad or SPR...ummm depends, that is the chance...

That is why i see it very hard to get interested... unless Megaman Butterfly away Amistad or SPR...ummm depends, that is the chance...

No need to butterfly either one. The other two producers of amistad: Debbie Allen and Colin Wilson could direct those films with Spielberg's overseeing the project as a producer while A.I. could be pushed back to 2000 for a 2002 release?

No need to butterfly either one. The other two producers of amistad: Debbie Allen and Colin Wilson could direct those films with Spielberg's overseeing the project as a producer while A.I. could be pushed back to 2000 for a 2002 release?
Depends...maybe Kubrick could live a little longer and finish AI and them pass away...still is possible...depends other things, and if megafigther liked it

So, a few thoughts on Mortal Kombat. First off, I'm considering Ming-Na Wen for the role of Kitana.

Next, what honestly surprised me in my research on the first movie is how much of it influenced the later games.

• It introduced the idea of a realm needing to win 10 tournaments in a row to invade another realm.
  • It made Raiden into a mentor figure and gave him white hair.
  • It introduced Liu Kang/Kitana and Johnny/Sonya (though the former was likely based on the original actors for the games, Ho-Sung Pak and Katalin Zamiar, dating during the making of MK2)
  • Trevor Goddard's Kano and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa's Shang Tsung being so well received that they pretty much became canon, including retconning Kano to be Australian and giving Shang Tsung his catchphrase.
  • Scorpion's teleportation ability. The same would happen with Kitana looking more like Talisa Soto.
  • Sonya's finishing move on Kano.
  • The $500 sunglasses and subsequent Johnny/Goro feud were alluded to in later games. Plus, Johnny's motivation for joining the tournament came from the game
Like, I'm really not sure what would need to change about the plot of the first movie (apart from replacing the CG reptile with just having Shang Tsung ordering an actual human Reptile to spy on Kitana, who then goes invisible) which is why I was mostly looking for tweaks. Like, I know when we get to Annihilation, we'll get us some overhaul, but this movie seems surprisingly tight.