Mario Goes Hollywood: A Collaborative Timeline

Actually, while I was taking a bath, I started thinking of how comic book movies would be affected by this and the growing success of video game movies. There's a good chance that this might put the idea of comic book movie adaptations on ice.
You make a good point, here is a counterpoint: Comic-Book Movies and Video-Game Movies begin an intense rivalry after Zelda 2. Video Game companies and Comic Book Publishers begin attempting to one-up each other in terms of style. The media dubs it "The War For the Box Office"

So, let's get back to the Bat. Honestly, it might be better to have Carrey take the fall. Definitely going with the idea of Riddler being a rival to Batman, trying to outsmart him in solving the case of Two-Face. Give the spot of Batman to Ralph Fiennes and have Nicole Kidman take the role of Chase Meridian. Mostly the movie's gonna be the same.

So, let's get back to the Bat. Honestly, it might be better to have Carrey take the fall. Definitely going with the idea of Riddler being a rival to Batman, trying to outsmart him in solving the case of Two-Face. Give the spot of Batman to Ralph Fiennes and have Nicole Kidman take the role of Chase Meridian. Mostly the movie's gonna be the same.
Yeah and well those thing happen, some other idea or suggestion? either movie or videogames?

Actually, while I was taking a bath, I started thinking of how comic book movies would be affected by this and the growing success of video game movies. There's a good chance that this might put the idea of comic book movie adaptations on ice.
It depends on how badly the Batman franchise does ITTL with Batman & Robin. Tim Burton and Warner Bros. were working on Superman Lives with Nicholas Cage attached in the mid/late 1990s OTL--hell, Kevin Smith worked on it at one time. X-Men was spinning its wheels at Fox since the early 1990s and James Cameron wrote a "script-ment" of Spider-Man around that time, but got caught in litigation hell.

Personally, I think it would be an intriguing proposition if Superman Lives makes it to production with a 1999 release. The big question is if Tim Burton should still be involved and if the story should be an adaptation of "The Death of Superman" or instead try for another tale to adapt with another director in mind. Personally, I would get a kick if Jon Peters gets the boot as producer and WB hands it to Richard Donner's production company based on his record with Superman '78. One potential butterfly could be that Kevin Feige gets involved with DC instead of Marvel. :eek:

Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Zelda_II_The_Adventure_of_Link_box.jpg

Directed By: Terry Gilliam
Written By: Pen Densham/John Watson
Produced By: Disney/Nintendo
Based On: The Legend of Zelda by Nintendo

Cast
Leonardo DiCaprio as Link
Drew Barrymore as Princess Zelda
Tony Todd as the voice of Ganon
Christopher Lambert as Dragomir
Dame Maggie Smith as Impa
BRIAN BLESSED as Uncle Alphonse
Robin Williams as Tarin

Release Date: May 11, 1995
Budget: $150 million
Box Office: $900 million​

And three years after they first proved video games could make for a profitable market for film studios, Nintendo smashes the box office with the sequel to the first Legend of Zelda film, the first video game movie to be #1 at the box office (though some account a weak summer for part of why people kept coming back.) The story is mainly focused on Link and Dragomir's journey throughout Hyrule to face off against Triforce Guardians Gohma and Gleeok (both of which are a blend of practical and CG since Jurassic Park did so good two years ago) while getting aid from Princess Zelda, who works around Ganon even within captivity. The movie was criticized to some degree for being more spectacle-driven, focusing on huge action setpieces and not having as much to offer in terms of fleshing out the world, but did receive marks for showing Link's growth as a warrior and delving deeper into Dragomir's past, his motivations and why he ultimately chose Link as his apprentice. The movie would be given some vindication by later critics who noted that the movie was more a bridge between the first and the third and that the set pieces were still exciting to watch.

After defeating Gleeok (Who is spelled "Glyoch" in the credits due to an executive finding the original spelling silly), the Triforce of Wisdom is reforged, only for Ganon to suddenly attack. During the fight, Dragomir is killed and Link takes up his sword to defeat Ganon and keep him from the Triforce. However, during the battle, Ganon's helmet is knocked off and underneath it... is Dragomir! While Link is stunned, Dragomir/Ganon takes the moment to slash Link diagonally across the chest, dropping him before taking the Triforce. Link tries to stand and fight, but Ganon simply waves a hand and Link is surrounded by glowing purple energy that then explodes, leaving only a trail of ash as Ganon teleports away.

Zelda, feeling her connection to the Triforce fo Wisdom fading, watches the Siege of Hyrule from the barred window of the tower she's being helped captive in. She prays for a Hero to save Hyrule as the film ends.

As you can see, this movie steamrolled through the competition, taking out Gordy, Casper, Judge Dredd, Pocahontas, Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie and the biggest victim of all, Batman Forever. Most of these movies saw their box offices' halved from OTL with Gordy getting utterly stomped. The only reason Waterworld didn't get wrecked was that it had the fortune of coming up just as Zelda II was leaving theaters.

Last edited:
It depends on how badly the Batman franchise does ITTL with Batman & Robin. Tim Burton and Warner Bros. were working on Superman Lives with Nicholas Cage attached in the mid/late 1990s OTL--hell, Kevin Smith worked on it at one time. X-Men was spinning its wheels at Fox since the early 1990s and James Cameron wrote a "script-ment" of Spider-Man around that time, but got caught in litigation hell.

Personally, I think it would be an intriguing proposition if Superman Lives makes it to production with a 1999 release. The big question is if Tim Burton should still be involved and if the story should be an adaptation of "The Death of Superman" or instead try for another tale to adapt with another director in mind. Personally, I would get a kick if Jon Peters gets the boot as producer and WB hands it to Richard Donner's production company based on his record with Superman '78. One potential butterfly could be that Kevin Feige gets involved with DC instead of Marvel. :eek:
Don't know much of those names but I like the way that sounds. I am all for it.

Butterflies butterflies...dunno the videogames vs comics even seen fun, maybe should give a try @Megafighter3 ?

Another one...maybe here Sony buy Marvel?

Budget: $150 million
Box Office: $900 million
Woah, and the movie was amazing, that is how you make a twist, if leo got into titanic too ITTL, he will be the face of the 90's

Butterflies butterflies...dunno the videogames vs comics even seen fun, maybe should give a try @Megafighter3 ?

As much as I do like the idea, it's unlikely that the bean counters at Warner Bros. are gonna give any superhero movies another shot after Batman Forever. Part of me was actually contemplating Marvel being bought by a video game company (Capcom, most likely) and the characters being used more for video games. I will say that if comic adaptations get put on ice, this does open Michael Jai White up to play Jax.

As much as I do like the idea, it's unlikely that the bean counters at Warner Bros. are gonna give any superhero movies another shot after Batman Forever. Part of me was actually contemplating Marvel being bought by a video game company (Capcom, most likely) and the characters being used more for video games. I will say that if comic adaptations get put on ice, this does open Michael Jai White up to play Jax.
I say we should have some studio try and salvage comic-books. It would be really interesting to see a battle of the movies, which would frequently get compared to the ongoing Console wars. SEGA's upcoming Sonic The Hedgehog movie would be a wild card. Can Sega pull through and make (one of my favorite franchises) Into the silver screen? Or will they start the curse associated with the Sonic Franchise early? (in OTL it started with Sonic '06 and ended with Mania and Team Sonic Racing).

As you can see, this movie steamrolled through the competition, taking out Gordy, Casper, Judge Dredd, Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie and the biggest victim of all, Batman Forever. Most of these movies saw their box offices' halved from OTL with Gordy getting utterly stomped. The only reason Waterworld didn't get wrecked was that it had the fortune of coming up just as Zelda II was leaving theaters.

If Batman Forever got its box office take halved, it would be around $168 million on a $100 million budget. Not good. Given how WB tonally gimped the film after the Returns reception, I believe that they will place the Batman franchise into hibernation. HOWEVER, one possible effect is that WB could possibly see if the Man of Steel could succeed where the Dark Knight faltered. My proposal is thus: Warner Bros. stops pre-production on TTL Superman Lives and starts over. They go to the one person who made audiences believe that a man can fly, Richard Donner, and hire his company produce a Superman film for a new generation.

My thinking is that if the new Superman is successful enough to warrant a sequel, the third film in the series could "World's Finest" featuring Batman as the co-protagonist, and possibly both vindicate the caped crusader and act as a springboard to a possible cinematic universe overseen by the duo of Geoff Johns and Kevin Feige. I doubt that WB would abandon film plans for the DC characters when it is just as likely that Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS are dominating Saturday mornings.

If for no other reason to make any Marvel-based games PlayStation exclusive in addition to the film rights.

If Batman Forever got its box office take halved, it would be around $168 million on a $100 million budget. Not good. Given how WB tonally gimped the film after the Returns reception, I believe that they will place the Batman franchise into hibernation. HOWEVER, one possible effect is that WB could possibly see if the Man of Steel could succeed where the Dark Knight faltered. My proposal is thus: Warner Bros. stops pre-production on TTL Superman Lives and starts over. They go to the one person who made audiences believe that a man can fly, Richard Donner, and hire his company produce a Superman film for a new generation.

My thinking is that if the new Superman is successful enough to warrant a sequel, the third film in the series could "World's Finest" featuring Batman as the co-protagonist, and possibly both vindicate the caped crusader and act as a springboard to a possible cinematic universe overseen by the duo of Geoff Johns and Kevin Feige. I doubt that WB would abandon film plans for the DC characters when it is just as likely that Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS are dominating Saturday mornings.

If for no other reason to make any Marvel-based games PlayStation exclusive in addition to the film rights.
Thats a great idea.

To make things different, here 25 could worth it, specially as Disney already is Nintendo partner in Hollywood.

We talk the silver screen..maybe in the future could invade the small screen too?

If Batman Forever
Could we still get smallville?

Could we still get smallville?
It would be slightly different; acting as a sort of prequel series to the main Superman films. Though not by design--Lex Luthor and Clark Kent never appear in the same scene in Superman '98 (just spitballing a release to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the original Donner film.) If we butterfly Christopher Reeve's accident, could Richard Donner convince him to return to the franchise as Jor-El?

It would be slightly different; acting as a sort of prequel series to the main Superman films. Though not by design--Lex Luthor and Clark Kent never appear in the same scene in Superman '98 (just spitballing a release to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the original Donner film.) If we butterfly Christopher Reeve's accident, could Richard Donner convince him to return to the franchise as Jor-El?
The accident is in 95 so easily buttefly away.

@Megafighter3 Maybe with the movie popularity we got SNES-CD remake of Zelda I and II, plus a movie inspired Original Zelda?

Last edited:
The accident is in 95 so easily buttefly away.

@Megafighter3 Maybe with the movie popularity we got SNES-CD remake of Zelda I and II, plus a movie inspired Original Zelda?

Oh yeah, there's gonna be remakes of Zelda I-II. While I did consider making a terrible FMV Super Mario Bros. movie (think that Sega CD Power Rangers game, but it's Mario) an original Zelda game might come from this, maybe during the Ultra NES' life cycle.

Oh yeah, there's gonna be remakes of Zelda I-II. While I did consider making a terrible FMV Super Mario Bros. movie (think that Sega CD Power Rangers game, but it's Mario) an original Zelda game might come from this, maybe during the Ultra NES' life cycle.
Yeah that is a nice chance, specially as if SNES-CD got an original Zelda(hit the iron when is hot) that could delay the OoT equivalent, specially taking notice the new plotline elements the movie did bring to the table.