Margaret of Savoy and Edward IV

In December 1458 at Casale, she married her first husband, John IV, Margrave of Montferrat, the son of John Jacob of Montferrat and Joan of Savoy. He was a condottiere for the Republic of Venice during the Wars in Lombardy which were a series of conflicts fought between Venice and Milan, and their various allies.

Margaret brought a dowry of 100,000 scudi, and in return received Trino, Morano, Borgo San Martino, and Mombaruzzo. The marriage was childless, although he fathered several illegitimate children. He died on 19 January 1464, leaving her a widow at the age of twenty-five.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_of_Savoy,_Countess_of_Saint-Pol

She could marry Edward IV instead of her OTL husband

She could, but their lack of children worries me. With her husband's illegitimate children, it can't be laid at his door. Edward IV is the first King of the House of York. He doesn't need or want a barren wife...

She could, but their lack of children worries me. With her husband's illegitimate children, it can't be laid at his door. Edward IV is the first King of the House of York. He doesn't need or want a barren wife...
Perhaps he can marry Agnes of Savoy..who is the next sister of the queen of france.

Could've been a number of factors. And considering that Margherita had kids with her second husband, it might be nothing more than a :bad match" genetically speaking.

@kasumigenx: Why are you going with Margherita and not Bona in this scenario? She's the oldest daughter, sure, but she's also older than her prospective husband. Now, I know what you're going to say, Elizabeth Wydeville was also older than Edward - diffference being that Liz was Ned's choice. Unless Marguerite comes with a superdee-duper king-sized dowry, I imagine that Warwick (who would be the one arranging the marriage) is going to go for Bona.

Could've been a number of factors. And considering that Margherita had kids with her second husband, it might be nothing more than a :bad match" genetically speaking.

@kasumigenx: Why are you going with Margherita and not Bona in this scenario? She's the oldest daughter, sure, but she's also older than her prospective husband. Now, I know what you're going to say, Elizabeth Wydeville was also older than Edward - diffference being that Liz was Ned's choice. Unless Marguerite comes with a superdee-duper king-sized dowry, I imagine that Warwick (who would be the one arranging the marriage) is going to go for Bona.
There is another possible bride, Agnese of Savoy, who is 18 in 1463, when Edward IV was looking for a bride, she is married on 1466 so he can marry her instead.

The more I learn about Edward IV, I grow more and more amazed at just how much of a monstrously bad idea the Woodville marriage was. Ned could have married any number of better Continental matches, but he went with one of the most troublesome domestic matches he could find.

Yeah, the Woodville marriage was truly the worst option. Edward IV truly had the ability to be his worst enemy sometimes, not to the degree of George, duke of Clarence, but still.

Another bride could be Marie of Brittany. She married her husband in 1462, but Edward was king from 1461, so that match is possible. It could prevent Brittany from being absorbed by France later if they have more than one son who could marry a potential Anne of Brittany.

Last edited: