Margaret of Anjou

Margaret of Anjou, queen of Henry VI, gives birth to a daughter instead of their son, Edward of Lancaster. Any possible outcomes this would have on the War of the Roses? Could this possible princess been married off to a Yorkist, thus avoiding the war altogether?

Margaret of Anjou, queen of Henry VI, gives birth to a daughter instead of their son, Edward of Lancaster. Any possible outcomes this would have on the War of the Roses? Could this possible princess been married off to a Yorkist, thus avoiding the war altogether?

Interesting question. I'm not firm enough on the chronology to say whether this could avoid the whole thing - after all, even if Margaret's child were a daughter, there would always be the potential for a second child being a son, however unlikely a second child was in practice..

-- Rick

If Edward of Westminster is born a girl, (let's call her Elizabeth) the Lancastrians don't have a credible claimant to the throne. Elizabeth is probably promised to one of the Duke of York's sons. Edward might be a tad old for her (11 years her senior) but I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility.

The Tudors and the Beauforts might try something but I doubt it will be anything on the scale of the War of the Roses. Without the War of the Roses and a firm Yorkist monarchy in place, perhaps England can rebound somewhat in France with the help of Burgundy.