Marche Consulaire: A Napoleonic Timeline

Constant’s bicameral vision, which truthfully owed more to the United States Congress than to any previous French government,

British Parliament, surely? After all, Constant was a giant Anglophile throughout all of his life.

Napoleon II appointed a young journalist named Adolphe Thiers to replace Constant within the group, but for all of his later influence, Thiers made no real mark on the Constitutional deliberations.

Well damn, Thiers is making an appearance ITTL. I can’t imagine his philosophy of “the king reigns but does not govern” will receive any sort of imperial support in Napoleonic France.

Well damn, Thiers is making an appearance ITTL. I can’t imagine his philosophy of “the king reigns but does not govern” will receive any sort of imperial support in Napoleonic France.
Thiers: Mon Empreur I believe we should have a more parliamentary system
Napoleon II and the Grand Armee: laughs hysterically

@TRH a Great update as usual. Though I must ask was this new Constitutional settlement inspired by Metternich's proposed reform for Austria in otl? The Regency council and its deadlock during the reign of Ferdinand I crippled the affairs of state for almost 20 years. The push by Metternich to somewhat federalize the Empire while building a more bureaucratic structure for Austria was rejected by Francis I who became reactionary and looked upon the Enlightenment/Revolutionary reforms with suspicion. Had Francis not been mentally unfit for the throne, and been born a more capable ruler, its likely that these reforms plans would have radically altered the course of the Empire. In regards to the French Empire, is this tricameral legislature modeled after the Holy Roman Imperial diet which had three chambers?

I may have had the Regency council on the brain, since I was reading up on that recently, but for me, the main considerations were Napoleon II's desire for a more bureaucracy-centric government under his personal control, plus my desire for a sense of continuity in political developments. We saw informal pacts and power structures take shape in Napoleon I's waning years, and so that kind of behind-the-scenes decisionmaking needs to be officially addressed, especially after its been revealed to have motivated some risky foreign policy. Napoleon II likes the idea of government by experts, but he wants to make sure this culture of secrecy doesn't lead to muddled and contradictory policy, so he offers the bureaucrats a deal: they can continue writing policy so long as they submit it for public review.

As for the tricameral legislature, that's a vestige from the days after Napoleon became First Consul. I don't think there were many similarities with the Imperial Diet besides that, though. It developed from a bicameral legislature that had existed under the Directory.

Will he implement the three strikes laws for the press that Napoleon III had?

He might, but I'll need to see some specific examples of what press activity elicited warnings under the Second Empire, and figure out what would seem like an appropriate adaptation.

What do you mean by criticize, but obey? Is it that essentially where the people are allowed to air their grievances while not overtly attacking the personage of the Emperor and the government?

More or less. I don't know how familiar you are with Kant, and I'll admit my own knowledge is pretty superficial, but he was very interested in questions of power, authority, and obedience to the law. And in one of his essays, he explained why it's critical for an enlightened society to permit and encourage its members to use their powers of reason, even if they still have to obey the government. But this process of letting the people develop their capacity for independent thought can only be realized gradually, so a strong government is needed to guide the transition while nurturing this independence in thinking.

In practice, this means the Senate will have the right and the obligation to point out problems in proposed legislation and suggest fixes and alternatives, but can only rely on the persuasiveness of their arguments to ensure their recommendations are acted on.

If this system goes rogue it might end up like the Eastern Roman Empire which saw conflicts between the military aristocracy and the civil government. Emperors like Basil II and his co-emperor and brother Constantine VIII were essentially kept as palace princes away from the reigns of power by their regents (various military aristocrats and the bureaucratic establishment). This conflict between the two groups tore the Empire apart, and the lack of a strong central leadership from a capable Emperor led to the debacle that was the battle of Manzikert. Basil II though in a self-coup had his regent arrested and provided stable rule to the Empire.

That's a potential risk, although Napoleon II will likely keep the military specifically on a tighter leash than the professional bureaucrats, for obvious reasons.

British Parliament, surely? After all, Constant was a giant Anglophile throughout all of his life.

Well, consider it a more diplomatic way of making the point that Constant's proposal is distinctly un-French without accusing him of sympathy towards the Evil Empire. Périer did want to win him over to a compromise, so he'd need room to back down gracefully.

He'll certainly have to adapt to the different environment quite a bit. Of course, that's even more true of the OTL ultra-royalist Villèle.

Thiers: Mon Empreur I believe we should have a more parliamentary system
Napoleon II and the Grand Armee: laughs hysterically

Napoleon II: No problem, we can add a fifth chamber to the legislature if you want. We'll even let you name it!

Mighty interesting update as usual. Once again, I really like your timeline, as it is among the few ones that treat a Napoleon TL as a social and political thought experiment more than as a francewank. Your decision to head-on admit an overcomplicated and rather illogical system into your story also is very refreshing.

If I may ask: do you speak french? "Cerf" (deer, the nickname you have chosen for your group of would-be reformists) sounds exactly like "serf" (unfree tenants) in French; upon hearing "les Cerfs de Napoleon", in particular, one would rather think of "serf", as in "slaves for Napoleon". Is it an intended pun? I could very well see the press lampooning them with such a punny nickname, but they certainly wouldn't adopt it themselves!

Mighty interesting update as usual. Once again, I really like your timeline, as it is among the few ones that treat a Napoleon TL as a social and political thought experiment more than as a francewank. Your decision to head-on admit an overcomplicated and rather illogical system into your story also is very refreshing.

I'd attribute that to my influences, I think. Two of the first timelines I really got into here were @wilcoxchar's excellent Union and Liberty and BlondieBC's Prince Henry of Prussia. Both of those understood the importance of following the butterflies to weird places, and the latter also placed a heavy emphasis on making sure peoples' actions aren't too consistently logical. You start with a better-trained German u-boat force, and next thing you know, you're litigating a pointless Prussian annexation of the Vistula triangle. I'll probably retcon some weird shit into the Spanish Constitution when I get back to that, just as a reflection of the messiness of politics.

If I may ask: do you speak french? "Cerf" (deer, the nickname you have chosen for your group of would-be reformists) sounds exactly like "serf" (unfree tenants) in French; upon hearing "les Cerfs de Napoleon", in particular, one would rather think of "serf", as in "slaves for Napoleon". Is it an intended pun? I could very well see the press lampooning them with such a punny nickname, but they certainly wouldn't adopt it themselves!

I know a little. I took it in high school, but I was pretty consistently a B student in that class and haven't touched it in almost a decade now. The pun was a bit of serendipity more than anything. I just looked through the various areas of Fontainebleu for a suitable meeting place for the group, with the group being named after that place, and decided the Galerie would be best because a plural noun is already in the name. The play on words is a bonus, but some smart-aleck journalist would totally just throw the name out there and claim they only meant to call the group the Stags if they caught official notice, wouldn't they? Something for the French journalism chapter I'm planning to do at some point.

Last edited:
I know a little. I took it in high school, but I was pretty consistently a B student in that class and haven't touched it in almost a decade now. The pun was a bit of serendipity more than anything. I just looked through the various areas of Fontainebleu for a suitable meeting place for the group, with the group being named after that place, and decided the Galerie would be best because a plural noun is already in the name. The play on words is a bonus, but some smart-aleck journalist would totally just throw the name out there and claim they only meant to call the group the Stags if they caught official notice, wouldn't they? Something for the French journalism chapter I'm planning to do at some point.

Won't work for a journalist. Serfs is pronounced as Cerfs but is written differently, so will not be useable by any newspaper. Unless you wait until radio is a thing...

Will work for a political speech, or a popular joke.

Won't work for a journalist. Serfs is pronounced as Cerfs but is written differently, so will not be useable by any newspaper. Unless you wait until radio is a thing...

Will work for a political speech, or a popular joke.

I trust the press to be creative. Beside, my point was mostly that such an ambiguous-sounding name would most likely have been given to the group at least as a half-mockery, and that I would have been surprised if they had decided to give it to themselves - don't you agree?

I trust the press to be creative. Beside, my point was mostly that such an ambiguous-sounding name would most likely have been given to the group at least as a half-mockery, and that I would have been surprised if they had decided to give it to themselves - don't you agree?

Not the first time a faction was called by a name which began as an insult - the Whigs and Tories of Britain come to mind.

Not the first time a faction was called by a name which began as an insult - the Whigs and Tories of Britain come to mind.

Adopting that name and proudly wearing it after it's entered common use, sure; coming up with it themselves, no. It is a really minor nitpick to begin with, but I stand by it.

Chapter Forty-Five: One Step Forward...
Well, I've been away a good long while this time. I've got an array of reasons for it, but the main one is simply that I've started my first real 9-5 job, and that's taken most of my energy lately. Not that I'm not grateful, considering how many of my grad school classmates have struggled to hang onto their jobs in the face of Covid; my job is pretty secure, and has honestly gotten easier now that I can work from home, but it still takes a lot out of me.

But I've adjusted, and managed to find the energy to put together another chapter, this time focused on Russia and the Caucasus. This isn't the 4-5 chapters in a row focused on France that I'd envisioned, but after so long I decided to go with the idea I could put together the most easily, so here we are. Next time I'll focus on Poland. Enjoy!

Chapter Forty-Five: One Step Forward…

Excerpted from The Road to War: 1830-1852 by Alexander Peterson, 1971.​

As fears of Ottoman frailty and the threat of an expansionist Russia brought British and French foreign policy into alignment in the 1830’s, the balance of power inside Russia was also shifting, as the nominally advisory State Council established by Tsar Alexander extended its influence.

In 1828, Alexander’s successor Konstantin acceded to the Council’s suggestion that the State Secretaries, the leaders of its four departments, should also receive Ministerial appointments, so as to ensure policy would be implemented fully in accordance with the Tsar’s decisions. This change led to rather contrary results in practice, however, as the diffident Konstantin was misled or left in the dark by canny and experienced advisors.

In addition to entrenching its own influence, the Council also persuaded the Tsar to revise the rules for imperial succession. In 1797, Tsar Paul had codified a system of male-preference primogeniture, with the throne being awarded to a female line only if all legitimate male heirs were dead. In 1830, Konstantin revised the Romanov house laws into a system of absolute primogeniture, awarding rulership to the eldest surviving dynast, regardless of gender. [1]

This was a necessary concession on the Tsar’s part, for as much as the Council was able to steer Konstantin’s governmental decisions, they were less capable of controlling his personal life. His wife, the Princess Juliane of Saxe-Gotha-Saalfeld, had left the then-Grand Duke in 1799 due to his abusive treatment of her, and despite years of entreaties, Konstantin never managed to convince her to return to Russia. For the sake of royal continuity, the State Council entreated Konstantin to divorce Juliane and re-marry, but he never did so. And soon it was too late; the Tsar passed away May 13, 1833, without legitimate issue. [2]

With Konstantin dead, the next in line for the throne was Maria Pavlovna, the Grand Duchess of Saxe-Weimar, followed by Paul Frederick and Marie Louise of Mecklenburg, but the State Council had reservations. Foreign Minister Karl Nesselrode had grown wary of French intentions in the wake of the Egyptian Crisis, and felt that dynastic ties to a Napoleonic satellite state were potentially compromising. Because of this, the Council pressured Maria and her niece and nephew to remove themselves from consideration for the throne. In their place, Grand Duchess Catherine Pavlovna was coronated as Tsarina Catherine III.

1592311974184.png

Catherine III, Empress of All Russia.

For the Council, Catherine was an ideal candidate for the throne not simply because of a lack of foreign entanglements, having been widowed for twenty years by 1833, but also as an embodiment of changing political currents in Russia. Mikhail Speranksy’s brainchild had drifted rightward as its membership expanded to include more members of the aristocracy.

For Nesselrode and his fellow conservatives, Catherine was deemed a fellow traveler, having sponsored Nikolay Karamzin’s 12-volume History of the Russian State, an influential work that also served as a defense of Russian autocracy and a rejection of Western liberalism. Significantly, Karamzin emphasized the legacy of Ivan III as the foundation of Russian greatness, steering Russian historiography away from Peter the Great and his efforts at aping the political developments of Western Europe. With Catherine on the throne and Nesselrode and his allies dominating the State Council, Russia was poised for a course correction away from the Francophilia that followed Tilsit. [3]

In foreign policy, Catherine III deferred to Nesselrode’s judgment more often than not, agreeing with the Foreign Minister’s assessment that Britain and France’s thawing relations were cause for suspicion. Further adventures in the Balkans were too dangerous until the threat of an anti-Russian coalition was neutralised. Instead, Russia would be better-advised to extend its Asian frontiers, while consolidating strength in restive areas at home. And no territories in the Empire was quite so rebellious as Circassia and Dagestan.

Although Russia had seized nominal sovereignty over much of the Caucasus during the waning years of the Napoleonic Wars, the native Muslim tribes maintained a fierce insurgency. By the 1830’s, Russian generals had little to show for their efforts, as the Circassians and Dagestanis frustrated their occupiers with a mastery of irregular warfare and intimate knowledge of the local terrain.

What was worse, the rebels were soon to acquire some well-connected allies. British and French adventurers, brought together more by serendipity than by official coordination or orders, made their way into Circassia, hoping to undermine Russian control over the region. The unofficial leaders of the two groups, David Urquhart and Eugène Delacroix, had met several years earlier in Greece, both having traveled there to assist the rebellion against the Turks. Despite this shared experience, the two men came away from that conflict with vastly different worldviews. Urquhart had quickly grown disillusioned with the Armatoloi, and gravitated towards the Turks, an attachment that only grew stronger once the French and Russians interceded against them. Delacroix, for his part, held onto his faith in the Greeks, even promoting their cause through a series of Romantic poems he sent back home. [4]

1592312082280.png
1592312095671.png

David Urquhart and Eugène Delacroix did their utmost to organise the Circassian tribes into a potent anti-Russian fighting force.

After parting ways, both Urquhart and Delacroix retained a strong interest in developments in the Near East, an interest they channeled into diplomatic careers. In 1830, Urquhart secured an appointment on a British mission to Turkey seeking to address the ongoing Egyptian Crisis. It was during this time in Constantinople that he became aware of the plight of the Muslim inhabitants of the Caucasus. Upon returning home, the young attaché took it upon himself to sound the alarm about Russian designs in the region, and the injustice faced by the citizens of the small mountain nation staring down the barrel of the Tsar’s might. His lobbying found its most sympathetic ears among Knatchbull’s Conservatives, but members of the Canningite and Whig coalitions were also swayed, providing cover for Urquhart’s future activities.

Delacroix, for his part, was less of an activist than Urquhart. In the years after leaving Greece, he slowly rose through the ranks of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He, too, would find himself returning to the Near East in the early 1830’s, but he did so under orders from his superiors to shore up Turkish security and combat Russian influence clandestinely. The Hellenophilic part-time poet was less than enthused about his mandate, which made his discovery of the Circassian cause all the more fortuitous: by arming and organising the Caucasian rebels, France could stymie the Russians without indirectly imperiling the Greeks.

And so in early 1834, both Urquhart and Delacroix made their way to Circassia to personally oversee their respective operations. Their hosts made no secret of the other side’s presence, and so the two former comrades-in-arms reunited in the most unlikely of places. The Frenchman and the Scot may have enjoyed disparate geopolitical outlooks, but they shared a romanticism and love of adventure that did more to bring them together than politics could to divide them.

The two came to an arrangement that would prevent the British and French delegations from inadvertently duplicating each other’s efforts or otherwise alerting the Russians to their activities. Urquhart and his allies were condoned rather than sanctioned by their government, which would make it harder to organise deliveries of weapons and other supplies. Delacroix’s Foreign Affairs contacts could focus on material support, while Urquhart would provide pro-Circassian propaganda for audiences back home, as well as working to coordinate disparate rebel forces to face the Russians as a unified front. Both men recognised the greater importance of their mission: should they succeed in securing Circassian independence, the Russians would lose a valuable bridgehead from which to invade Turkey, Persia, or even British India.

It took over a year for the Russians to become aware of the Western support flowing into Circassia, but after a French gunrunner was detained attempting to enter the port of Sunjuk-Kale by a Russian brig in February 1835, the question of Anglo-French encirclement assumed centrality in St. Petersburg. Eventually, Nesselrode came to a solution that was every bit as audacious as the adventurers he sought to combat. It was fear of growing Russian power that had driven the British and French towards cooperation in Asia. Therefore, the best way to end that cooperation would be for the Russian threat to diminish, allowing the traditional enmity between London and Paris to resume. To break the Anglo-French Entente, the Russians would have to feign defeat in the Caucasus.

The cost of Nesselrode’s deception was clear enough: an independent Circassian state would emerge under British and French guidance, impeding Russian expansion further south. But such a state could also serve Russian interests in the long run: after all, the problems of pacifying Circassia extended beyond the battlefield. The tribal structures in Circassia were exceptional in their lack of firm social hierarchy: following a civil war of sorts in the late 18th Century that deposed the local aristocracy, the three largest tribes, the Natukhai, Shapsugs and Abedzeks, all operated via informal assemblies rather than any firm state structure. While this lack of central leadership may have impeded coordinated resistance to some degree, it also made any kind of formal surrender equally impossible. [5]

The Circassian statelessness frustrated Russian commanders, who would frequently find temporary success in pacifying certain areas, only for the inhabitants to revolt again at the earliest opportunity. If Urquhart and Delacroix could create order where there was lawlessness, all in the name of better opposing the Russian occupiers, then the governing bodies they created could subsequently fall under Russian political influence, allowing the Tsar’s forces to return.

The first step in this strategy would be to relax naval patrols in the Sunjuk-Kale region and halt the construction of new fortifications along the Black Sea coast. Fort Adler was left half-finished, while the previously finished Fort Aleksandriya would be abandoned by 1840. This lightening of security restrictions would ease the efforts of the Anglo-French agents, hopefully paving the way towards a unified Circassia in the process.

To the disappointment of all involved, political consolidation of Circassia remained a difficult task. Two of Urquhart’s contacts, Sefer-Bei Zanoko and Kazbech Tuguzhoko, commanded respect among the Natukhai and the Shapsugs, but they had trouble parlaying that respect into deeper cooperation. At the Scotsman’s advice, the two were among the signatories to a Circassian Declaration of Independence, which vested authority into for the insurgency into a council of elected leaders, but organising an actual election was nearly impossible under the circumstances. For the moment, little changed in the Circassian political arena despite Urquhart’s best efforts.

1592312216017.png

This Circassian national flag was also designed by Urquhart.

Nevertheless, the seeds for something greater had been planted, and thanks to Nesselrode’s machinations, they would be given space to grow. The same could not be said for the nationalist movement taking shape at the other end of the Tsarina’s domain.

[1] What goes unsaid here is that Catherine was lobbying for this change behind the scenes as well. In addition to matching Nesselrode’s conservatism, she has the added benefit of having adult children by her prior marriage, which fixes continuity concerns for good.

[2] Konstantin staying away from Poland and his second wife was necessary for him to remain in the line of succession, but I could never decide who he might wed instead. Sidestepping towards Catherine Pavlovna gave me the double benefit of getting to play with an interesting OTL personality while also not having to definitively resolve this question.

[3] Catherine supported this project IOTL. This new conservative bent in Russian politics will have major implications for the codification of Russian law that took place in the OTL 1830’s, which I’ll touch on in more detail next chapter.

[4] David Urquhart’s life story here is pretty much OTL, but Delacroix is a bit of a departure. In real life, he’s known as one of the great Romantic painters, but Talleyrand was a close family friend, and quite possibly his illegitimate father as well, so ITTL Eugène capitalizes on that connection to give himself a leg up in a diplomatic career instead.

[5] One thing I wanted to explore at points ITTL is the flavorful and unusual social and political arrangements you can find at the local level in certain corners of the world that either got stamped out at some point or simply forgotten over time. The loose and libertarian society of the Circassians is one example I knew a bit about, so it was an easy choice to include.

Of course, another big theme of this story is the tendency of modernity to paper over these kinds of unique traditions in favor of more homogenous and more “efficient” forms of government, which is represented here by Urquhart and Delacroix’s attempts to cobble together a proper state with which to fight the Russians. Luckily for the Circassians, they’ve been given some breathing room to hash out these questions on their own, so we’ll certainly be back here to see what comes of this experiment later on.

Last edited:
Well, I've been away a good long while this time. I've got an array of reasons for it, but the main one is simply that I've started my first real 9-5 job, and that's taken most of my energy lately. Not that I'm not grateful, considering how many of my grad school classmates have struggled to hang onto their jobs in the face of Covid; my job is pretty secure, and has honestly gotten easier now that I can work from home, but it still takes a lot out of me.

But I've adjusted, and managed to find the energy to put together another chapter, this time focused on Russia and the Caucasus. This isn't the 4-5 chapters in a row focused on France that I'd envisioned, but after so long I decided to go with the idea I could put together the most easily, so here we are. Next time I'll focus on Poland. Enjoy!

Chapter Forty-Five: One Step Forward…

As fears of Ottoman frailty and the threat of an expansionist Russia brought British and French foreign policy into alignment in the 1830’s, the balance of power inside Russia was also shifting, as the nominally advisory State Council established by Tsar Alexander extended its influence.

In 1828, Alexander’s successor Konstantin acceded to the Council’s suggestion that the State Secretaries, the leaders of its four departments, should also receive Ministerial appointments, so as to ensure policy would be implemented fully in accordance with the Tsar’s decisions. This change led to rather contrary results in practice, however, as the diffident Konstantin was misled or left in the dark by canny and experienced advisors.

In addition to entrenching its own influence, the Council also persuaded the Tsar to revise the rules for imperial succession. In 1797, Tsar Paul had codified a system of male-preference primogeniture, with the throne being awarded to a female line only if all legitimate male heirs were dead. In 1830, Konstantin revised the Romanov house laws into a system of absolute primogeniture, awarding rulership to the eldest surviving dynast, regardless of gender. [1]

This was a necessary concession on the Tsar’s part, for as much as the Council was able to steer Konstantin’s governmental decisions, they were less capable of controlling his personal life. His wife, the Princess Juliane of Saxe-Gotha-Saalfeld, had left the then-Grand Duke in 1799 due to his abusive treatment of her, and despite years of entreaties, Konstantin never managed to convince her to return to Russia. For the sake of royal continuity, the State Council entreated Konstantin to divorce Juliane and re-marry, but he never did so. And soon it was too late; the Tsar passed away May 13, 1833, without legitimate issue. [2]

With Konstantin dead, the next in line for the throne was Maria Pavlovna, the Grand Duchess of Saxe-Weimar, but the State Council had reservations. Foreign Minister Karl Nesselrode had grown wary of French intentions in the wake of the Egyptian Crisis, and felt that Maria’s ties to a Napoleonic satellite state were potentially compromising. Because of this, the Council pressured Maria to remove herself from consideration for the throne. In her place, Grand Duchess Catherine Pavlovna was coronated as Tsarina Catherine III.

View attachment 557371
Catherine III, Empress of All Russia.

For the Council, Catherine was an ideal candidate for the throne not simply because of a lack of foreign entanglements, having been widowed for twenty years by 1833, but also as an embodiment of changing political currents in Russia. Mikhail Speranksy’s brainchild had drifted rightward as its membership expanded to include more members of the aristocracy.

For Nesselrode and his fellow conservatives, Catherine was deemed a fellow traveler, having sponsored Nikolay Karamzin’s 12-volume History of the Russian State, an influential work that also served as a defense of Russian autocracy and a rejection of Western liberalism. Significantly, Karamzin emphasized the legacy of Ivan III as the foundation of Russian greatness, steering Russian historiography away from Peter the Great and his efforts at aping the political developments of Western Europe. With Catherine on the throne and Nesselrode and his allies dominating the State Council, Russia was poised for a course correction away from the Francophilia that followed Tilsit. [3]

In foreign policy, Catherine III deferred to Nesselrode’s judgment more often than not, agreeing with the Foreign Minister’s assessment that Britain and France’s thawing relations were cause for suspicion. Further adventures in the Balkans were too dangerous until the threat of an anti-Russian coalition was neutralised. Instead, Russia would be better-advised to extend its Asian frontiers, while consolidating strength in restive areas at home. And no territories in the Empire was quite so rebellious as Circassia and Dagestan.

Although Russia had seized nominal sovereignty over much of the Caucasus during the waning years of the Napoleonic Wars, the native Muslim tribes maintained a fierce insurgency. By the 1830’s, Russian generals had little to show for their efforts, as the Circassians and Dagestanis frustrated their occupiers with a mastery of irregular warfare and intimate knowledge of the local terrain.

What was worse, the rebels were soon to acquire some well-connected allies. British and French adventurers, brought together more by serendipity than by official coordination or orders, made their way into Circassia, hoping to undermine Russian control over the region. The unofficial leaders of the two groups, David Urquhart and Eugène Delacroix, had met several years earlier in Greece, both having traveled there to assist the rebellion against the Turks. Despite this shared experience, the two men came away from that conflict with vastly different worldviews. Urquhart had quickly grown disillusioned with the Armatoloi, and gravitated towards the Turks, an attachment that only grew stronger once the French and Russians interceded against them. Delacroix, for his part, held onto his faith in the Greeks, even promoting their cause through a series of Romantic poems he sent back home. [4]

View attachment 557373 View attachment 557374
David Urquhart and Eugène Delacroix did their utmost to organise the Circassian tribes into a potent anti-Russian fighting force.

After parting ways, both Urquhart and Delacroix retained a strong interest in developments in the Near East, an interest they channeled into diplomatic careers. In 1830, Urquhart secured an appointment on a British mission to Turkey seeking to address the ongoing Egyptian Crisis. It was during this time in Constantinople that he became aware of the plight of the Muslim inhabitants of the Caucasus. Upon returning home, the young attaché took it upon himself to sound the alarm about Russian designs in the region, and the injustice faced by the citizens of the small mountain nation staring down the barrel of the Tsar’s might. His lobbying found its most sympathetic ears among Knatchbull’s Conservatives, but members of the Canningite and Whig coalitions were also swayed, providing cover for Urquhart’s future activities.

Delacroix, for his part, was less of an activist than Urquhart. In the years after leaving Greece, he slowly rose through the ranks of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He, too, would find himself returning to the Near East in the early 1830’s, but he did so under orders from his superiors to shore up Turkish security and combat Russian influence clandestinely. The Hellenophilic part-time poet was less than enthused about his mandate, which made his discovery of the Circassian cause all the more fortuitous: by arming and organising the Caucasian rebels, France could stymie the Russians without indirectly imperiling the Greeks.

And so in early 1834, both Urquhart and Delacroix made their way to Circassia to personally oversee their respective operations. Their hosts made no secret of the other side’s presence, and so the two former comrades-in-arms reunited in the most unlikely of places. The Frenchman and the Scot may have enjoyed disparate geopolitical outlooks, but they shared a romanticism and love of adventure that did more to bring them together than politics could to divide them.

The two came to an arrangement that would prevent the British and French delegations from inadvertently duplicating each other’s efforts or otherwise alerting the Russians to their activities. Urquhart and his allies were condoned rather than sanctioned by their government, which would make it harder to organise deliveries of weapons and other supplies. Delacroix’s Foreign Affairs contacts could focus on material support, while Urquhart would provide pro-Circassian propaganda for audiences back home, as well as working to coordinate disparate rebel forces to face the Russians as a unified front. Both men recognised the greater importance of their mission: should they succeed in securing Circassian independence, the Russians would lose a valuable bridgehead from which to invade Turkey, Persia, or even British India.

It took over a year for the Russians to become aware of the Western support flowing into Circassia, but after a French gunrunner was detained attempting to enter the port of Sunjuk-Kale by a Russian brig in February 1835, the question of Anglo-French encirclement assumed centrality in St. Petersburg. Eventually, Nesselrode came to a solution that was every bit as audacious as the adventurers he sought to combat. It was fear of growing Russian power that had driven the British and French towards cooperation in Asia. Therefore, the best way to end that cooperation would be for the Russian threat to diminish, allowing the traditional enmity between London and Paris to resume. To break the Anglo-French Entente, the Russians would have to feign defeat in the Caucasus.

The cost of Nesselrode’s deception was clear enough: an independent Circassian state would emerge under British and French guidance, impeding Russian expansion further south. But such a state could also serve Russian interests in the long run: after all, the problems of pacifying Circassia extended beyond the battlefield. The tribal structures in Circassia were exceptional in their lack of firm social hierarchy: following a civil war of sorts in the late 18th Century that deposed the local aristocracy, the three largest tribes, the Natukhai, Shapsugs and Abedzeks, all operated via informal assemblies rather than any firm state structure. While this lack of central leadership may have impeded coordinated resistance to some degree, it also made any kind of formal surrender equally impossible. [5]

The Circassian statelessness frustrated Russian commanders, who would frequently find temporary success in pacifying certain areas, only for the inhabitants to revolt again at the earliest opportunity. If Urquhart and Delacroix could create order where there was lawlessness, all in the name of better opposing the Russian occupiers, then the governing bodies they created could subsequently fall under Russian political influence, allowing the Tsar’s forces to return.

The first step in this strategy would be to relax naval patrols in the Sunjuk-Kale region and halt the construction of new fortifications along the Black Sea coast. Fort Adler was left half-finished, while the previously finished Fort Aleksandriya would be abandoned by 1840. This lightening of security restrictions would ease the efforts of the Anglo-French agents, hopefully paving the way towards a unified Circassia in the process.

To the disappointment of all involved, political consolidation of Circassia remained a difficult task. Two of Urquhart’s contacts, Sefer-Bei Zanoko and Kazbech Tuguzhoko, commanded respect among the Natukhai and the Shapsugs, but they had trouble parlaying that respect into deeper cooperation. At the Scotsman’s advice, the two were among the signatories to a Circassian Declaration of Independence, which vested authority into for the insurgency into a council of elected leaders, but organising an actual election was nearly impossible under the circumstances. For the moment, little changed in the Circassian political arena despite Urquhart’s best efforts.

View attachment 557375
This Circassian national flag was also designed by Urquhart.

Nevertheless, the seeds for something greater had been planted, and thanks to Nesselrode’s machinations, they would be given space to grow. The same could not be said for the nationalist movement taking shape at the other end of the Tsarina’s domain.

[1] What goes unsaid here is that Catherine was lobbying for this change behind the scenes as well. In addition to matching Nesselrode’s conservatism, she has the added benefit of having adult children by her prior marriage, which fixes continuity concerns for good.

[2] Konstantin staying away from Poland and his second wife was necessary for him to remain in the line of succession, but I could never decide who he might wed instead. Sidestepping towards Catherine Pavlovna gave me the double benefit of getting to play with an interesting OTL personality while also not having to definitively resolve this question.

[3] Catherine supported this project IOTL. This new conservative bent in Russian politics will have major implications for the codification of Russian law that took place in the OTL 1830’s, which I’ll touch on in more detail next chapter.

[4] David Urquhart’s life story here is pretty much OTL, but Delacroix is a bit of a departure. In real life, he’s known as one of the great Romantic painters, but Talleyrand was a close family friend, and quite possibly his illegitimate father as well, so ITTL Eugène capitalizes on that connection to give himself a leg up in a diplomatic career instead.

[5] One thing I wanted to explore at points ITTL is the flavorful and unusual social and political arrangements you can find at the local level in certain corners of the world that either got stamped out at some point or simply forgotten over time. The loose and libertarian society of the Circassians is one example I knew a bit about, so it was an easy choice to include.

Of course, another big theme of this story is the tendency of modernity to paper over these kinds of unique traditions in favor of more homogenous and more “efficient” forms of government, which is represented here by Urquhart and Delacroix’s attempts to cobble together a proper state with which to fight the Russians. Luckily for the Circassians, they’ve been given some breathing room to hash out these questions on their own, so we’ll certainly be back here to see what comes of this experiment later on.
Ehm, I fear who the next-in-line after Constantine was NOT Maria but this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Frederick,_Grand_Duke_of_Mecklenburg (who had a younger sister)

Glad to see this back.

Also, I’m happy that David Urquhart is making an appearance. He’s a really strange historical character, opposing Lord Palmerston of all people for being too pro-Russia among other strange stuff. Hopefully he makes another appearance.

Although he didn't mention it, I assume he could be passed over for the same reason as Maria Pavlovna, because they didn't want to be tied to a foreign principality, whereas the Oldenburg relations lived in Russia.

I'll go with this. I saw that Elena had died before the POD but overlooked her children. But upon inspection, they both had ties to member states of the Confederation of the Rhine as well. In addition, IOTL between Catherine's first and second marriages she spent a lot of time with Alexander, so if she'd continued to stay close to the Tsars, that would probably place her in St. Petersburg at the time of Konstantin's death, another advantage over the candidates technically ahead of her in the line of succession. I may have to tweak the chapter a bit accordingly, though.

Glad to see this back.

Also, I’m happy that David Urquhart is making an appearance. He’s a really strange historical character, opposing Lord Palmerston of all people for being too pro-Russia among other strange stuff. Hopefully he makes another appearance.

Not to mention how he actually opposed Anglo-French involvement in the Crimean War because it was also predicated on an infringement of Turkish sovereignty. An odd duck for sure, although having read Hopkirk's The Great Game I can say he's probably not even in the top five weirdest Russophobes from the time.

Last edited:
this tl was abandoned? It's so perfect what a shame, I was soo excited :(

It's not abandoned, I've just had a really hard time balancing this with my work schedule. That's been an issue all year, really, especially since the lockdown has led to me doing a lot more tabletop gaming online than I ever did in person pre-covid, so that takes up most of the mental energy that isn't expended during the workday. I am finally back to writing this weekend, so I definitely hope to get back into the groove of this soon.

Chapter Forty-Six: ...And Two Steps Back
Well, here we are again, another months-long delay between chapters. At this point, I just want to thank everyone who's been following my little story for this long for your patience and support. It means a lot to know that after almost three years of doing this, I've got so many people still eagerly awaiting the next update. One thing I can say for myself is that however much time passes between chapters, the story itself is never far from my thoughts, and I honestly think this is one of the best-researched segments I've put together in a long time. Today we're not only covering the development of Poland, but also a bit more insight into the cultural and political changes Russia is experiencing at this time. This is an important chapter to me, because this story began with the premise that a Napoleonic victory would begin with a betrayal of Polish nationalism, so exploring the effects of his Faustian bargain with Alexander is something that needs to happen. Next time, I think I'll return to the US for a bit, but in the meantime, enjoy!

Chapter Forty-Six: …And Two Steps Back

Following the Treaty of Tilsit, the entirety of Poland was placed under Tsar Alexander’s custody. To accommodate his new acquisitions, Alexander began an unprecedented experiment in the history of the Russian Empire: in 1812, the Tsar inaugurated a personal union between Russia and a new Kingdom of Poland. In doing so, he legitimised the existence of a Polish state, however illusory its sovereignty may have been.

This was a departure from the traditional Russian understanding of their part in the Polish partition. They saw themselves not as conquerors imposing themselves on a non-Russian population, but rather, as Catherine the Great put it, “recovering what was torn away.” [1] Hearkening back to the legacy of the Kievan Rus, the Russians argued that their subjugation of Poland was simply correcting a historical aberration, and restoring the natural borders of their empire. As such, they referred to their portion of the partition not as ‘Russian Poland,’ but as ‘the Western Region’ or even ‘the Recovered Territories.’

This steadfast determination to erase Polish national identity through historical revisionism makes the short-lived Kingdom of Poland all the more startling, not least given its inclusion of a reconstituted Sejm and a liberal constitution modeled along the lines of several of the Napoleonic satellite states in contemporary Germany.

Of course, the ideal of any sort of nurtured nationalism or pluralism in Russian Poland perished upon contact with reality; in particular, with the longstanding principle upheld by Russian Tsars that they were entitled to do whatever they please, without legal constraint or dissent. The Sejm, which was supposed to convene every two years, was only called once in 1816. After that session was stymied by clashes between liberal and conservative deputies, Alexander never summoned the body to meet again.

With the legislature effectively nonexistent, Alexander and his chosen Viceroy, Grand Duke Nicholas, exercised the same level of absolute authority they wielded in Russia proper. Unrest festered slowly over the 1820’s, nurtured by the liberal Sejm-in-exile that began convening in secret in the city of Płock from 1823 onwards. [2]

With Catherine III’s accession in 1833 came the conclusion that the Polish experiment had run its course, and should be terminated. This revolution in thought was spearheaded by Sergey Uvarov, Catherine’s newly appointed Minister of National Enlightenment. As a fervent disciple of Karamzin, Uvarov saw the awakening of nationalist sentiments in Napoleonic Europe, and decided that Russia should take the opportunity to re-invent its social and political identity, asserting its distinctiveness from the West instead of continuing to imitate it, as its rulers had done since Peter the Great.

1603139622178.png

Sergey Uvarov was the intellectual architect of modern Russian nationalism.

Uvarov outlined three fundamental principles that were central to a revitalisation of Russia. These were Pravoslaviye (Orthodoxy), Samoderzhaviye (Autocracy), and Narodnost (Nationality). These principles had deep roots in Russian history and culture, but Uvarov saw the need to re-establish them in a modern context, and synthesise them into a stricter and more cohesive formula than previous Tsars had considered. [3]

Narodnost was the key to Uvarov’s domestic programme, because the association between ethnic Russians and the Russian state was not traditionally an absolute one. In a land where the Imperial Court spoke French and Baltic Germans held high-ranking positions in government and the military, Russianness was a purely political ideal, devoid of cultural and ethnic baggage. As late as the 1820’s, there was still talk in Russian intellectual circles of re-christening the country as “Romanovia,” in acknowledgement that the ruling dynasty was central to the national identity.

By the 1830’s, a new generation of Russian writers and thinkers rose to assert the importance of the Russian language. The novelist Thaddeus Bulgarin declared it “first place in melodiousness and richness and ease of word construction,” while Nikolai Nadezhdin, a lecturer at Moscow University, drew upon Gibbon to describe the state of modern Europe, where Russians served as a new society of barbarian hordes poised to descend on the decadent and collapsing West. This rise in Russian exceptionalism was only reinforced by the country’s deteriorating relationship with France, leaving Russia diplomatically isolated from the countries it had previously aspired to emulate. In this milieu, a Francophone aristocracy could no longer be tolerated. [4]

1603139706269.png
1603140166715.png

Thaddeus Bulgarin and Nikolai Nadezhdin exemplified a new generation of Russian scholars who spoke to and emphasised Russia's alienation from the West.

And so under Catherine III, a truly Russian Narodnost was elevated to the forefront of national policy. Russian became the official language both in the Court and across the country, paving the way for the Pan-Slavist sentiments that took root later in the century. And by the same token, groups that spoke other languages or who promoted different cultural practices than Russians grew increasingly suspect in the eyes of the ruling class.

These changing attitudes were especially dangerous for the Poles, who stood in defiance of all three of Uvarov’s core Russian values. Because of this, both Uvarov and Catherine decided to reverse the post-Tilsit changes in Polish governance, and to subsume the disobedient territory permanently. In March 1834, the Kingdom of Poland was officially dissolved, with its voivodeships replaced by guberniyas jointly administered by a governor and a local military commander.

In addition to reorganising the administration of Poland, the Russians also set out to attune its population, transforming the relationship between the state and the individual. The Tsarist system had always demanded total devotion from the subjects to their emperor, but in Poland, this ideal was taken to an extreme.

Traditional Polish culture had placed such great value on individual liberty that their Sejm was only allowed to take action with the unanimous consent of its members, even though this paralyzed the Commonwealth’s ability to defend itself from enemies. Because of this, the Russians demanded that their Polish subjects go further than mere submission to the law. In what can only be called an early example of obliterationism, Uvarov’s Ministry encouraged Poles to censor their inner selves, spiritually purging willfulness and impure thoughts until only obedience to the Empress remained.

“Remember Her, love Her, be Her good children…and you shall know Her love in your heart, and be worthy of Her,” Uvarov wrote, in a government-issued pamphlet that was distributed across Poland. [5]

Faced with this pressure, the embittered Polish population inevitably lashed out against what they deemed an existential threat to their cultural survival. Although there had previously been divisions in popular opinion on whether the short-lived Kingdom’s institutions were worth salvaging, the dissolution of the Polish constitution and the subsequent propaganda campaign by Uvarov’s Ministry left no room for conciliation.

On 29 March, Polish officers in Warsaw stormed Belweder Palace, taking Grand Duke Nicholas hostage. The city government, having been just as surprised by the uprising as the Russians themselves, moved to take control of the situation. Fearing open war with Russia, the provisional government hastily began negotiating with the Grand Duke, eventually releasing Nicholas and allowing loyal soldiers to accompany him from the city.

It was at this point that the spontaneity of the Easter Uprising began to show itself. Warsaw’s Administrative Council were out of their depth trying to steer a popular revolt that was quickly spreading across Poland. An invitation was extended to the rump Sejm in Płock, in the hopes that its members, Prince Adam Jerzy Czartoryski in particular, would have the moral authority to stay the hand of Warsaw’s more radical malcontents, some of whom were already accusing the Council of squandering valuable leverage by releasing Nicholas.

1603139984373.png

Polish mutineers seize the Warsaw Arsenal, Easter 1834.

At the same time, peace talks with the Grand Duke continued, as his forces fortified themselves a short distance from the city. The provisional leadership of the rebellion urged the former Viceroy to appeal to his sister and persuade her to reconsider dissolving the Russo-Polish union. Nicholas, for his part, was playing for time. His missives back to St. Petersburg were surprisingly matter-of-fact, relaying an objective view of the situation in Warsaw and the Council’s position with little of the condescension and vitriol one could expect from most Russian officials. The Grand Duke nevertheless stressed the need for reinforcements to rectify the current unrest. [6]

This non-judgmental report gave the Empress a choice: she could offer concessions to the Polish rebels, and in so doing, forsake Uvarov’s project of national renewal, or she could hold fast, and vindicate her nation’s reputation as the Gendarme of Europe. The nature of Russian and Polish nationality would rest on her whim.

[1] Catherine II actually gave herself a medal with these words engraved on it after the partition.

[2] The Sejm of Congress Poland wound up meeting secretly IOTL as well, since the Russians tightened political expression more and more over the 1820’s.

[3] Uvarov’s sinister-sounding title essentially meant he was in charge of education, which he saw as turning citizens into “worthy tools of the Tsar.” I believe he was also the one who first coined the trinity of Orthodoxy, Autocracy and Nationality, although obviously those ideals had importance long before him, and the shift towards our modern understanding of them began at least in the 1700’s.

[4] Bulgarin and Nadezhdin both said these things IOTL, for an idea of the cultural shift underway at this point in Russian history. And that was despite the seat Russia had at the table as part of the Congress of Vienna. Napoleon’s European order doesn’t have a similar multinational forum, since he found it more advantageous to deal with countries one on one. And with the Anglo-French Entente now effectively freezing the Russians out of Europe and the Near East, the traditional Russian fear of encirclement only intensifies this trend towards Slavic exceptionalism.

[5] For this, I actually paraphrased an OTL anecdote Uvarov wrote about an encounter he had with a Polish student in Vilnius, who asked him to thank Tsar Nicholas for being everyone’s good father.

[6] From what I’ve read, Nicholas I was actually a more complex figure than a lot of people give him credit for, and paved the way for a lot of Alexander II’s reforms. To honor that, I decided to plant him in the middle of the road, not going so far as to advocate for the rebels, but not demonizing them either.