Maps of Words Contests (MWC)

Maps of Words Contests (MWC)

I thought it would be nice if there would be a third map contest, next to The Alphabetic Bouts of Cartography and Map of the Fortnight. I hope you appreciate this new contest and above all, have fun.
By the way, I asked a moderator whether it was okay to start these contests, and he said it was. Therefore, I would not really appreciate it if you would corrupt this thread with complaints about 'again another map contest'—even though I might well understand your arguments. I can understand, though, that you think three contests is too much, but then I will advise you to only enter the existing ones, rather than this new one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explanation, regulations and rules

There will always be two contests per month. These contests will be defined by a few sentences and five words, hence 'Maps of Words Contests'. The sentences will give a few requirements or restrictions for the map and from the words, two out of five may be chosen to create a topic for a map. The following example will clarify the system better than any explanation:

Maps of Words Contests (MWC) № example
For this map challenge it is required to make a map of Africa or a region or country in Africa.

Words of this contest:
- War
- Morocco
- Islam
- Colonialism
- Rebels

An example of a topic for the example contest could be a large Moroccan empire which is in expansionist war (Morocco and War), or for instance Islamist rebels taking over an area of the Sahara desert creating an non-recognised independent state.

Anyone can enter the contests and entries are supposed to be posted in this thread. This thread is for entries, discussion and questions. A voting thread for each contest will decide who has won the contest.
The deadlines will always be on Saturday 12:00 am CET (noon) and all contests will start on Sunday 12:00 am CET (noon). The first contest will start this Wednesday (9 January), as an exception, and will last till Saturday (19 January). From then on, every contest will last two weeks.

After eight contests, so roughly after one third of the year, there will be a big voting about all previous winners. The best three of this voting will contend in a final contest. The winners of each contest will be given a title to put in a signature, and the winners of final contests will be given the title Supreme Monarch of the Map of Words Contests.

Oh, and if there are any questions, I'd be more than glad to help out :D.
And, before I forget, I'm also planning to design virtual trophies for the winners of the 'finals'.

I might as well just give you the first contest. A little more time can't be a problem, I assume, so here you go.

Maps of Words Contests (MWC) № 1

You can do whatever you want with the words, but you are supposed to show at least one flag on the map.

Words of this contest:
- Country named after an explorer
- Important trade route
- Far East
- Referendum
- Civilised nations in Africa

Last edited:
One last detail to mention: everyone is allowed to give me suggestions for words for a contest, although I already have words enough for 24 contest.

I might as well just give you the first contest. A little more time can't be a problem, I assume, so here you go.

Those are phrases, not words… I loved your premise, but you're already breaking away from it.

Better would be:

Trade
East
Referendum
Africanization
Namesake

It's more vague, sure, but that's what makes it very interesting.

Those are phrases, not words… I loved your premise, but you're already breaking away from it.

Better would be:

Trade
East
Referendum
Africanization
Namesake

It's more vague, sure, but that's what makes it very interesting.

Okay, those are phrases, I know. But 'words' sounds better, huh? So, if you don't mind, they'll officially be called 'words', bu they are in fact phrases. And, yes, you words would be possible too, but the vagueness of it makes me choose phrases nonetheless. Sorry...

I have a good idea, but it might be above my skill level. I hope I'll be able to throw it together. If not, I'll explain the idea after the due date.

smilie.gif
Do we have to use every word?

It says to pick two out of the five.

For Civilised Nations in Africa/Africanisation, can that include decolonisation?

For Civilised Nations in Africa/Africanisation, can that include decolonisation?

Sorry for the late response (I read over it initially :(), but yes, it is allowed, but not prefered. The more prefered interpretation is civilised nations in Africa that have never been colonised.

Here's my submission.

Columbus was right! He did land in Asia! Over the next four centuries, Europeans started running low on places to put people, so they heavily territories in Asia. The Spanish and Portuguese especially took advantage of trade opportunities with China. Eventually, through butterflies, someone had a daughter at about the same time someone else had a son, and Spain and Portugal united. The colonial powers came up with reasonable names for all their colonies, but a few of the island countries did end up declaring independence.

In this world, there are no
potatoes, tomatoes, or corn (or "maize" whatever), but poor Irish settlers know how to make a mean corned beef and cabbage curry. And they don't have to deal with skunks, grizzly bears, or syphilis. There are a lot of Metis, but they don't speak Cree.

For ease of map-making, the Prime Meridian runs through Persia. However, to call attention to sea routes, this map is centered on the 180th meridian which runs through the Oceanic Sea.
This map is circa 1900 before post-colonialism makes things totally unpredictable.
Colors mostly follow AH standards.

Words I'm using are
- Far East (The only part of the map I paid attention to)
-
Country named after an explorer (You can spot a good handful)

I wanted to do more, but it's time for bed. I happen to live in that fantastical part of the world between Greenland and Japan, and over here, normal people getting ready to wake up. I had way too much fun naming Asian and Oceanic territories. Africa still looks a lot like the base map, but I want to fill it up with colonies. I want to find room for a New York, Montreal, Hudson Bay, and Tasmania somewhere.

Columbus was Right - Map of Words Contest.png

Here's my submission.

Columbus was right! He did land in Asia! Over the next four centuries, Europeans started running low on places to put people, so they heavily territories in Asia. The Spanish and Portuguese especially took advantage of trade opportunities with China. Eventually, through butterflies, someone had a daughter at about the same time someone else had a son, and Spain and Portugal united. The colonial powers came up with reasonable names for all their colonies, but a few of the island countries did end up declaring independence.

In this world, there are no
potatoes, tomatoes, or corn (or "maize" whatever), but poor Irish settlers know how to make a mean corned beef and cabbage curry. And they don't have to deal with skunks, grizzly bears, or syphilis. There are a lot of Metis, but they don't speak Cree.

For ease of map-making, the Prime Meridian runs through Persia. However, to call attention to sea routes, this map is centered on the 180th meridian which runs through the Oceanic Sea.
This map is circa 1900 before post-colonialism makes things totally unpredictable.
Colors mostly follow AH standards.

Words I'm using are
- Far East (The only part of the map I paid attention to)
-
Country named after an explorer (You can spot a good handful)

I wanted to do more, but it's time for bed. I happen to live in that fantastical part of the world between Greenland and Japan, and over here, normal people getting ready to wake up. I had way too much fun naming Asian and Oceanic territories. Africa still looks a lot like the base map, but I want to fill it up with colonies. I want to find room for a New York, Montreal, Hudson Bay, and Tasmania somewhere.

Looks extraordinarily interesting!
To all others who visit this thread: please contribute! Otherwise, the Maps of Words Contests will not survive :(