Mapmaker, mapmaker make me a map...

I found this GIF, and I tried to copy the boundaries to the blank map of Europe, but it proved to be too difficult a task. Why must the image be a PNG?

Krall

Banned
I said it must be a PNG mainly to stop people saving it as a JPG, as saving it as a JPG feths up the quality of the image, mean you can't edit it easily in paint, which is how I always do maps.

Actually, that GIF you posted would be ideal, if it weren't for the country names.

Krall

Banned
Um, I'm not sure what that is. Can it be editted quite easily using paint?

Oh, and a map of different areas of the world and/or the whole world would be really useful aswell if you can find one.

And, thanks in advance for all your help.

Krall

Banned
It's not the PNG format I'm all that worried about, it's the way the borders are done.

With wikipedia's maps it's simple. One-pixel wide borders, all white, the sea is white, all countries are exactly the same shade of grey [so it's really easy to instantly colour in a whole country].

Thande

Donor
With wikipedia's maps it's simple. One-pixel wide borders, all white, the sea is white, all countries are exactly the same shade of grey [so it's really easy to instantly colour in a whole country].

Do you not know the Paint tricks that let you easily recolour countries, using the Erase tool and the background colours?

Anyway, here's the map. Centennia maps aren't 100% accurate but they're a good starting point.

Centennia 1648.png

Krall

Banned
Do you not know the Paint tricks that let you easily recolour countries, using the Erase tool and the background colours?

Paint bucket/fill tool, actually. Instantly recolours an area consisting of one contiguous colour into a different colour of your choice.

Anyway, here's the map. Centennia maps aren't 100% accurate but they're a good starting point.

Ooo! Perfect! Thanks!

Can I ask exactly what happened to Ireland, though? Because I've seen three maps of this exact year and they each show Ireland differently. One was just 'Ireland', another had English areas in the east, and this one, well, it looks like it's deseased, and has a nation other than England or Ireland in it.

Thande

Donor
Paint bucket/fill tool, actually. Instantly recolours an area consisting of one contiguous colour into a different colour of your choice.
Ah, young padawan, you know not the ways of Paint ;)

Select the inkdropper tool, left click on colour A, right click on colour B, then select the Erase tool, hold down the right button and wave it around all over the map. It will recolour A to B without affecting anything else. Very handy for fiddly islands and enclaves.

Krall said:
Ooo! Perfect! Thanks!

Can I ask exactly what happened to Ireland, though? Because I've seen three maps of this exact year and they each show Ireland differently. One was just 'Ireland', another had English areas in the east, and this one, well, it looks like it's deseased, and has a nation other than England or Ireland in it.

Green is the Irish Catholic Confederation, slightly lighter brown is English Royalists, paler brown is Parliament.

Krall

Banned
Ah, and after the war all of Ireland would just be Ireland, right? Actually, now that I think about it, a map in 1657 would be better, as that my POD.

I'll search for a map of Europe in 1657 on HistoricalAtlas.com, where you got this 1649 map.

And, thanks again. :)

Edit: Erm, apparently I have to be logged on as an administrator to setup Centennia, so... would you awful mine please posting the map for 1657? Pleasey-please?

Thande

Donor
Ah, and after the war all of Ireland would just be Ireland, right? Actually, now that I think about it, a map in 1657 would be better, as that my POD.

I'll search for a map of Europe in 1657 on HistoricalAtlas.com, where you got this 1649 map.

And, thanks again. :)

Edit: Erm, apparently I have to be logged on as an administrator to setup Centennia, so... would you awful mine please posting the map for 1657? Pleasey-please?

OK, but no more - don't want to upset the copyright people.

Krall

Banned
Thank you! :D

...Any chance of a map of the world at that time? It doesn't have to be Centennia, just any map of the world at that time.

Thande

Donor
Thank you! :D

...Any chance of a map of the world at that time? It doesn't have to be Centennia, just any map of the world at that time.

What, 1648 or 1657?

Don't think so, unfortunately - most world maps I've found are for round years (1600, 1700 etc.)

Mind you, changes in the world outside Europe and India, which you can get regional maps for, tended to be fairly slow in the 17th century...

Krall

Banned
What, 1648 or 1657?

Don't think so, unfortunately - most world maps I've found are for round years (1600, 1700 etc.)

Mind you, changes in the world outside Europe and India, which you can get regional maps for, tended to be fairly slow in the 17th century...

Apart from the Anglo-Dutch and Anglo-Spanish wars, what with New Amsterdam/York and Jamaica and all... :)

Oh well, there's a map in the OTL map thread that's around that century that should suffice.