Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rewatched the wendigoon video on this (highly recommend the video and the channel as a whole) because of this post. God what a cool setting. Its so well made and feels so real.

The idea of the sex coca cola is hilarious, and just out of pocket, but it is completely beleivable in universe. Its a rare kind of setting that gets me invested like this one can.
Wendigoon is where I learned about it as well, I've been going thru withdrawals now that I've watched like almost all his videos. The one about Franz Ferdinand is hilarious in particular.

Only thing that I find strange is how Persia expanded all the way to the Black Sea.

It’s not that irregular tbh. Several Iranian dynasties did border the Black Sea, and a few more were a stone’s throw away from making it happen.
Thank you both for your input on this! My thinking with regards to Iran snatching territory up to the Black Sea was as a way to place themselves as a counterweight to Egypt. Basically, with the Ottoman Empire's collapse, there is a bit of a power vacuum in the Middle East. My thinking is that Iran, possibly for religious reasons (I dunno, I haven't looked too closely at the reasoning yet), wants to establish itself as the successor to the Ottoman state and thus, in an attempt to open up more trade routes and ports to boost its economic output, decides to try to get Black Sea territory (and additional Persian Gulf territory).

The setting seems quite interesting, but the locations for Assyria and Kurdistan seem a bit strange... Kurdistan misses most Kurdish lands while getting a bunch of Arab lands making it almost certainly mostly Arabic, while Assyria, while it does get most Assyrian lands, well, an Assyrian State is difficult nowadays without a full blown genocide because the Assyrians are not really a majority anywhere, and this state would probably be either Arab or Kurdish majority, not sure.

That being said, for Assyria in particular it's quite possible for an Arab revolt to take up the name for itself, much like our own Syria. This is not as likely for the Kurdish Republic however, so I'd suggest changing the map there a bit.

I'd look up Armenian population maps from the period as well, at least an Ararat republic could be fun to include since you're inclined to giving native peoples a State of their own.

It is an interesting idea, however, and it's always nice to see someone attempt to draw states in the region based on local populations rather than on European imperialist arrangements

I'd say that the Kurdish State(s) be located far north, near the OTL Kurdish principalities (pic) , and let Iraq (under the Mamluks) be its own independent state.

Also, by this time (I bet 1880s) Palestine would be a part of a greater Syrian kingdom, as by that time Syria was the name for the whole Ottoman Levant.
Thank you both so much for the suggestions, I really appreciate it!!

I have created a revised version of this map in which I have (hopefully) accurately placed a Kurdish Republic. Again, none of this is set in stone (beyond a circa-1880 Ottoman breakup), so let me know if something here is wildly off base. Again, the premise is that nationalism runs a bit rampant in the former Ottoman Empire, leading to new countries based at least partially on ethnic lines.

1684852093590.png

Yes but not in the 19th century.
Safavid and Qajar Iran both literally had borders a stone’s throw away from the Black Sea. Both are late 18th and early 19th century empires respectively. The exact line of actual control is debatable of course, given how this would have been part of the border areas that Iran, Russia and the Ottoman Empire clashed over.

But again, I’m not seeing what’s so inconceivable about these borders. If it’s stated that they’re completely stable borders with absolutely zero racial tension then yes, I’d have questions too (this region isn’t even stable today). But the map just shows the internationally recognized borders at that point in ATL, and that’s perfectly believable.

Safavid and Qajar Iran both literally had borders a stone’s throw away from the Black Sea. Both are late 18th and early 19th century empires respectively. The exact line of actual control is debatable of course, given how this would have been part of the border areas that Iran, Russia and the Ottoman Empire clashed over.

But again, I’m not seeing what’s so inconceivable about these borders. If it’s stated that they’re completely stable borders with absolutely zero racial tension then yes, I’d have questions too (this region isn’t even stable today). But the map just shows the internationally recognized borders at that point in ATL, and that’s perfectly believable.
I'm not making that big of a deal about it so I'm not sure what has you so miffed >_>

Inspired by Thande's ATL Map Database, I updated his maps for the Cliveless World and Gurkani Alam timelines by Tony Jones to the current WorldA basemap. Currently, the borders are kept unchanged from the original maps, although I've been thinking about doing a few modifications of my own similar to these maps on DeviantArt.

cliveless world original borders.png

gurkani alam original borders.png

Inspired by Thande's ATL Map Database, I updated his maps for the Cliveless World and Gurkani Alam timelines by Tony Jones to the current WorldA basemap. Currently, the borders are kept unchanged from the original maps, although I've been thinking about doing a few modifications of my own similar to these maps on DeviantArt.

View attachment 833249

View attachment 833248
Perhaps even spice up the colorless states with help from some more-expansive color schemes? Or are you keeping the traditional "only color relevant states" scheme?

Perhaps even spice up the colorless states with help from some more-expansive color schemes? Or are you keeping the traditional "only color relevant states" scheme?
That’s another thing I’m definitely planning for the reboot maps! I did add a couple more colors to these to help differentiate nations with non-contiguous territory, as well as changing a few to help them contrast better.

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
This is a follow up from my last map which is just 13 years after the Ides of March. Here is the Middle Earth what I think would looks like in about 2000 years later.

Roman Empire
The main character of my Imperial Universialis timeline in all its glory. While the Roman Empire might look huge and imposing on the map, it is actually not Roman nor Empire (like our favorite ALT-Voltaire would like to say). The modern Roman Empire is a complete different entity from the stratocratic empire of Augustus. The modern empire is more a federation of some sort divided into regions, prefectures, dioceses, provinces. Officially the Roman Empire is one entity, but unofficially it is divided into three regions: Latin, German and Greek with each own regional capital united under one universal monarch in Rome. Exarchates would be the fifth administration division but they are more similar to early modern colonies. The border of this empire is around Vistula-Dniester, Caucasus, Caspian Sea to Persian Gulf, around the Fertile Crescent and then across the Great Desert along the Tropic of Cancer.

Serican Empire
The another great power on the opposite side of Middle Earth. Unlike our world, this China is much more outward looking even with colonies over at the distant North Elysia and Australia. As described in the introduction of my timeline, the Empire of East would wake up from a reactionary isolationist complacency and realize that the Empire of the Western Seas is the natural rival of the Celestial Kingdom. Thus the two empires in both ends of Middle Earth would be locked in millennia-long Great Game untouchable by the distance. I don't expect the steppes like the Huns and Mongols would be a issue for both empires as the circumstances for their rise would butterfly away.

Other powers of Middle Earth
  • Iran: With the absence of Islam and the Huns, Zoroastrianism and Buddhism are both a majority in Iran with the latter have a much large present all across Middle Earth and beyond including Rome and Serica.
  • India: Bengal is the center of industrial revolution in this world, and one alt-Napoleon had recently started on his great ambition of unite India and challenging both Rome and Serica
  • Axum: After having refusing the authority of the Third Temple of Jerusalem, the Rabbanites built their own temple in Axum. Today this branch of Judaism had spread to the horn of Somalia and the eastern coast of Bentea
  • Slavia: With the absence of the Huns and the Germanic migration, the Slavs didn't migrating past the Vistula but rather moved eastward. In this world a Kievian prince had united all of Slavia under one dynasty.
  • Denmark: One of the most important allied and client kingdom of Rome and had united Scandinavia under their rule as a counterbalance against Britannia and Slavia.
  • Britannia: The only independent Celtic state outside Rome despite its attempt to conquer the island.
  • Japan: With Serica having its focus toward the South Sea, it allowed Japan to annex Korea as a counterbalance against the Slavic commonwealth.
  • Mali: Ruled by the richest man in the world and one of the closest allied and client kingdom of Rome, and even own a large colony in South Elysia.

kkoNH5T.png

1684956000619.png

Map I made for my friends MUN proposal. A few others will come both for peace in Croatia and in Bosnia. This is the most maximalist Krajina my friend is offering, the other 2 proposals for Krajina will be similar but smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.