Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to give the map I posted on post #7,846 a do-over. The key has been changed from fonts to colours and some typos have been fixed.
3bvdo4ijsbla1.png
Ehh I think fonts worked better. Red on blue is visual murder.

The Grand-Duchy of Baden and Alsace
badalsace2.png

As part of the VT-BAM Balkanization Project, here is my attempt to create a fractured Grand-Duchy. I intend to create similar maps of idealized, hyper-balkanized and fractured countries.

Screenshot 2023-03-06 08.58.47.png

The world map for this is a WIP, but this map is completed, unless I add in more things.
I am making a Pokemon region, and it seems to be based on Eastern Canada.
The games would be called Pokemon: Obsidian, Hydro, Magma, and Arctic. or Pokemon: OHMA. The region, I have dubbed it Moltice, was first discovered by the Paldean Empire, and it still remains similar to Paldea in culture. Porto Naranja is the main port of the Region, being located in the first discovered portion of Moltice, Vikland. Also, in Vikland, is the main capital city of Moltice, Alminster City. This is also where the player lives. Depending on the game, one of the other 4 cities contains a gym, with the type being told by the name. Arcticia, with Arctic's gym #1, is located on a mountain peak. Singetown, with Magma's gym #1, is located around a crater, with fires burning eternally inside. Aquacity, with Hydro's gym #1, is located on a lake. Boulderland, with Obsidian's gym #1, is located in an old mineshaft. Porto Naranja is the main economic center of Moltice, with daily auctions on goods, similar to Porto Marinada in the Paldea region.

Moltice: Eastern Canada
Vikland: Vinland
Porto Naranja: Porto Marinada
Alminster City: Toronto
Arcticia: Montenevera
Singetown: Gates to Hell, Turkmenistan; Levincia
Aquacity: Mexico City; Levincia
Boulderland: Fluoruma
Why the connection to Paldea: Paldea is based on Iberia, and since the Iberians were the second Europeans to discover Canada, or the New World in whole, I decided it made sense.
Who where the first Europeans: The Vikings, hence the name Vikland.

View attachment 816551
The world map for this is a WIP, but this map is completed, unless I add in more things.
I am making a Pokemon region, and it seems to be based on Eastern Canada.
The games would be called Pokemon: Obsidian, Hydro, Magma, and Arctic. or Pokemon: OHMA. The region, I have dubbed it Moltice, was first discovered by the Paldean Empire, and it still remains similar to Paldea in culture. Porto Naranja is the main port of the Region, being located in the first discovered portion of Moltice, Vikland. Also, in Vikland, is the main capital city of Moltice, Alminster City. This is also where the player lives. Depending on the game, one of the other 4 cities contains a gym, with the type being told by the name. Arcticia, with Arctic's gym #1, is located on a mountain peak. Singetown, with Magma's gym #1, is located around a crater, with fires burning eternally inside. Aquacity, with Hydro's gym #1, is located on a lake. Boulderland, with Obsidian's gym #1, is located in an old mineshaft. Porto Naranja is the main economic center of Moltice, with daily auctions on goods, similar to Porto Marinada in the Paldea region.

Moltice: Eastern Canada
Vikland: Vinland
Porto Naranja: Porto Marinada
Alminster City: Toronto
Arcticia: Montenevera
Singetown: Gates to Hell, Turkmenistan; Levincia
Aquacity: Mexico City; Levincia
Boulderland: Fluoruma
Why the connection to Paldea: Paldea is based on Iberia, and since the Iberians were the second Europeans to discover Canada, or the New World in whole, I decided it made sense.
Who where the first Europeans: The Vikings, hence the name Vikland.
finally, a map dedicated to cock and balls, been waiting for this one 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

1678409998490.png

WIP: A world gone mad, or Wolf-Gang's lucid dreams world

I'll tell you what the pink is (A green Antartica or the really fucked up TL from years ago) I'd love to hear what you think the others are.

View attachment 816632

I'll tell you what the pink is (A green Antartica or the really fucked up TL from years ago) I'd love to hear what you think the others are.
Australia has clearly gone Avatar, and there's upside-down Westeros coming up from Antarctica.
Don't recognize what is attached to South America, and I'm tempted to say Warhammer Fantasy Battles's Europe equivalent flipped East/West for Northern America.

View attachment 816632

I feel like I should know the continent just to the west of Madagascar extending down to Antarctica. What continent is that?

View attachment 816632

What is that circle in North America, and why is the terra nullius in Africa gone?
Also why is the top...er bottom of Westeros water instead of just being Antarctica?

What is that circle in North America, and why is the terra nullius in Africa gone?
Also why is the top...er bottom of Westeros water instead of just being Antarctica?
In order.
The walls from aot
Drew the short straw
That isnt water that is the land of always winter

No, that is just the Vikland Peninsula of the Moltice region.
Okay I feel like a piece of shit because this is something you're obviously passionate about and everyone makes maps like this when they first started (including me!) and so uh let me give you a few pointers:

Get Paint.NET. It's old as shit and so will run on just about anything and will allow you to have pretty text without the artefacts that regular MS Paint will. It'll also give you access to layers which once you get used to are a game changer when it comes to maps.

The geography itself, while viscerally phallic, also is kind of untextured. Like, there are no islands (and that doesn't mean just add one island add a few small ones, see: the Canadian Sheild or Zanzibar). It being connected to a continent is fine but the way it is is kind of abrupt. The line is so smooth it looks artificial which is in opposition to IRL borders which follow mountains or rivers.

Compare with this map of Hoenn
1678468026400.png

There's several small islands, points of interest, varied geography. I'm not saying copy this, but there's some traits that are also kinda useful. Maybe go on Google Maps or Google Earth and look at road maps of places that Pokemon regions are based off of.

Or even compare to the Caspian sea which is the region I think your area looks the most similar to

1678468269488.png

Notice how all of the borders with the ocean are sorta "lumpy" and have a lot of texture.

Otherwise, I dig the names actually. "Vikland" seems like a solid pick for a "Pokemon-ified" Scandinavian area. It's been a while since I played a Pokemon game but iirc they have a lot of other small towns and cities. Maybe you could make a map where you highlighted the major cities that have gyms or the Elite 4 and then others that have smaller settlements. Maybe even add coloured sections that designate what type of pokemon can be caught there?

This five year old what the fuck tutorial I made on WorldA maps is not immediately helpful but many of the concepts I discuss are pretty useful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.