Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you should create a Bob Hope's Map Resource thread to put them all into.
At this point maybe we should do it pal, some of his suggestions and ideas are interesting overall and there clearly is a place for them much better in such a thread then here or in another thread were such maps would fit way more. I know he said there is few interest in them otherwise, but I would watch such a thread :)

A little silly project I had been working lately:
2022, but every country (except microstates or island nations, for obvious reasons) has at least one border changed from OTL, but without any major geopolitical consequences, all of them based on borders that could've been reality (or in fact were, but were changed) but for one reason or anothe didn't.
I'm quite dubious about the "without any major geopolitical consequences" stance of this. Some of these land swaps would've dramatically altered a nation's development that'd one way or another bleed on the greater geopolitical scene.

At this point maybe we should do it pal, some of his suggestions and ideas are interesting overall and there clearly is a place for them much better in such a thread then here or in another thread were such maps would fit way more. I know he said there is few interest in them otherwise, but I would watch such a thread :)
Could call it the "Keep Bob Hope Out of Trouble!" thread :D

I personally feal that would sound a little mean-spirited and I belive Bob Hope had no ill intentions on sharing these interesting maps with us.
Oh yeah, I'm sure he had no ill intent, the maps are useful, and I'll probably go back and d/l his spreadsheet at some point :)
Sure enough, it might be a little ill-advised as the title for a thread, but I think he'd probably see the humour in it...

Oh yeah, I'm sure he had no ill intent, the maps are useful, and I'll probably go back and d/l his spreadsheet at some point :)
Sure enough, it might be a little ill-advised as the title for a thread, but I think he'd probably see the humour in it...
Maybe we should best wait for his return and ask him then for a title, apparently there is larger interest in his maps then he seams to assume, taking his statement that his own such thread would get little attention (where I belive Bob is wrong, judging based on the views and responses so far). Sure most would more likely read more, then to actually write back in it or share something there, but even that might inspire some of us to do some of these maps shown there. :)

Last edited:
Maybe we should best wait for his return and ask him then for a title, apparently there is larger interest in his maps then he seams to assume, taking his statement that his own such thread would get little attention (where I belive Bob is wrong, judging based on the views and responses so far). Sure most would more likely read more, then to actually write back in it or share something there, but even that might inspire some of us to do some of these maps shown there. :)
Probably a good idea. He has several separate threads of his own already, and the Worldraj tribute thread, but one more for informative OTL historical maps and his "Q and A Quizzes" wouldn't be a bad addition.

A little silly project I had been working lately:
2022, but every country (except microstates or island nations, for obvious reasons) has at least one border changed from OTL, but without any major geopolitical consequences, all of them based on borders that could've been reality (or in fact were, but were changed) but for one reason or anothe didn't.
xAj3AWo.png
💪Montenegrin Peć, let's gooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ireland getting more of the north, always based.

Is that Bosnian Herceg Novi? One of my favorite historical borders even if Herceg Novi being part of Montenegro as it currently is makes far more sense.

Austrian south Tyrol but not Trent? Absolutely perfect.

Slovenian Trieste is music to my eyes.

Greater Luxembourg the almighty!

Fun concept overall.

Is Russian Crimea the change for Russia? (answering may begin a conversation that belongs in chat so feel free to just say you can't answer that here).

I won't voice my opinions as they belong in chat (though given that my username is that of a medieval Serbian ruler you might make inferences) but I will say I certainly noticed Kosovo being colored as a part of Serbia on this map. It was a surprise (won't say whether pleasant or unpleasant, but definitely a surprise) to see that while basically all other major modern OTL unrecognized/non-universally recognized entities are present.

stopping by to drop this here, part of a larger in-progress project i have going on. hopefully when that's done it'll be getting posted here, too.
for an important bit of context, it's from a cyberpunk scenario. 'developmentalism', as it is known ITTL, was championed by the Union of Sovereign States as an evolution of the chinese economic system fit for the material conditions of moscow and beyond. as you have probably guessed, it also took off in the UK ITTL, but i won't explain why because that would count as spoilers for what i have planned

1674431552757.png

stopping by to drop this here, part of a larger in-progress project i have going on. hopefully when that's done it'll be getting posted here, too.
for an important bit of context, it's from a cyberpunk scenario. 'developmentalism', as it is known ITTL, was championed by the Union of Sovereign States as an evolution of the chinese economic system fit for the material conditions of moscow and beyond. as you have probably guessed, it also took off in the UK ITTL, but i won't explain why because that would count as spoilers for what i have planned

View attachment 804658
this looks insane

A quick thing I whipped up:

View attachment 804416

Looking back, historians view the 21st Century as an age of revolution and government reform, in which political reality caught up with demographic, social, and technological changes. Though democracy was never faced with any serious ideological alternatives after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 (or its echo in the collapse of Putinist Russia in 2026), the loss of dynamism of democratic institutions in the West and the rapid expansion of democracy and growth in the rest of the world prompted profound tinkering and searching aimed at finding the best possible mode of government.

Ochlocracy: In America and Europe, old variations of alt-right or national populism and leftist or social populism cross-pollinated over the internet into a “neohumanism” which became the ideology of revolutionary movements in the U.S. and several members of the European Union. 'Ochlocracies' operate as confederal, internet-based, and open-source governments which allow residents to propose, amend, and vote on most or every decision over the internet (or allocate a subset of their votes to trusted individuals, leading to the rise of the ‘celebrity expert’).

Agoracracy: In Latin America and then Africa, in response to declines in living standards amid misrule by old-school ideologues and military juntas, block-chain inspired “agorista” reforms were introduced to reduce the potential for elected authoritarianism. ‘Agoracracies’ still elect traditional politicians, but their responsibility has been limited to defining measures of national well-being; lawmaking is conducted in the form of prediction markets where citizens ‘bet’ on which proposed laws will best achieve these measures of national well-being, and are given additional votes for correct predictions.

Technocracy: Across the Indo-Pacific, revolution was averted as existing democracies and democratizing authoritarians gradually ceded ever more control to central planning and algorithms-based bureaucracy. ‘Technocracies’ generally retain features of representative democracy, but their civilian governments are held back from making contradictory or self-defeating decisions by the veto power of various review boards whose membership is made up of subject-matter experts and artificial intelligence. Democracy is more fully realized by voting held between such technical review boards.
This such a whacky concept, I love it, and I'd be super interested in more content from this TL. Outta curiosity, how does ochlocracy's "open-source government" work? Does it just mean that legislation can be created and proposed by anyone over the internet, or does it mean something more weird, like allowing for existing laws to be edited by anyone at any time and stuff like government websites and whatnot or open-sourced?

Agoracracy: In Latin America and then Africa, in response to declines in living standards amid misrule by old-school ideologues and military juntas, block-chain inspired “agorista” reforms were introduced to reduce the potential for elected authoritarianism. ‘Agoracracies’ still elect traditional politicians, but their responsibility has been limited to defining measures of national well-being; lawmaking is conducted in the form of prediction markets where citizens ‘bet’ on which proposed laws will best achieve these measures of national well-being, and are given additional votes for correct predictions.
Ngl, this system sounds so ripe for abuse that it makes the current NFT market look like Fort Knox in comparison.

Also, obligatory fuck everything related to the blockchain.

...And Bob Hope got kicked again (for good reasons).
Anyway, this page is almost empty and has barely any maps, so...
simpleworlda (1).png
This map is not really an "alternative history" map, but it is a map in the MAPS thread, and also made by me (although I think some people may have possibly made such a map in the past, don't know for sure.), so it shouldn't get me kicked. Anyway, what is different? This is a Worlda map (I did not make Worlda, but it is so commonplace, I would think many would know that), but all claims have been removed, and Antarctica is blank (missed some spots, oof), That means no crazy border stuff in India, No crazy border stuff in Korea, and also only one color in Belize (Yes, in normal Worlda, Belize has two colors.). Feel free to use this map for your own maps, don't even ask me for permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.