Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick thing I whipped up:

Futuristic Governments.png

Looking back, historians view the 21st Century as an age of revolution and government reform, in which political reality caught up with demographic, social, and technological changes. Though democracy was never faced with any serious ideological alternatives after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 (or its echo in the collapse of Putinist Russia in 2026), the loss of dynamism of democratic institutions in the West and the rapid expansion of democracy and growth in the rest of the world prompted profound tinkering and searching aimed at finding the best possible mode of government.

Ochlocracy: In America and Europe, old variations of alt-right or national populism and leftist or social populism cross-pollinated over the internet into a “neohumanism” which became the ideology of revolutionary movements in the U.S. and several members of the European Union. 'Ochlocracies' operate as confederal, internet-based, and open-source governments which allow residents to propose, amend, and vote on most or every decision over the internet (or allocate a subset of their votes to trusted individuals, leading to the rise of the ‘celebrity expert’).

Agoracracy: In Latin America and then Africa, in response to declines in living standards amid misrule by old-school ideologues and military juntas, block-chain inspired “agorista” reforms were introduced to reduce the potential for elected authoritarianism. ‘Agoracracies’ still elect traditional politicians, but their responsibility has been limited to defining measures of national well-being; lawmaking is conducted in the form of prediction markets where citizens ‘bet’ on which proposed laws will best achieve these measures of national well-being, and are given additional votes for correct predictions.

Technocracy: Across the Indo-Pacific, revolution was averted as existing democracies and democratizing authoritarians gradually ceded ever more control to central planning and algorithms-based bureaucracy. ‘Technocracies’ generally retain features of representative democracy, but their civilian governments are held back from making contradictory or self-defeating decisions by the veto power of various review boards whose membership is made up of subject-matter experts and artificial intelligence. Democracy is more fully realized by voting held between such technical review boards.

Last edited:

View attachment 804416

Looking back, historians view the 21st Century as an age of revolution and government reform, in which political reality caught up with demographic, social, and technological changes. Though democracy was never faced with any serious ideological alternatives after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 (or its echo in the collapse of Putinist Russia in 2026), the loss of dynamism of democratic institutions in the West and the rapid expansion of democracy and growth in the rest of the world prompted profound tinkering and searching aimed at finding the best possible mode of government.

Ochlocracy: In America and Europe, old variations of alt-right or national populism and leftist or social populism cross-pollinated over the internet into a “neohumanism” which became the ideology of revolutionary movements in the U.S. and several members of the European Union. 'Ochlocracies' operate as confederal, internet-based, and open-source governments which allow residents to propose, amend, and vote on most or every decision over the internet (or allocate a subset of their votes to trusted individuals, leading to the rise of the ‘celebrity expert’).

Agoracracy: In Latin America and then Africa, in response to decline in living standards amid misrule by old-school ideologues and military juntas, block-chain inspired “agorista” reforms were introduced to reduce the potential for elected authoritarianism. ‘Agoracracies’ still elect traditional politicians, but their responsibility has been limited to defining measures of national well-being; lawmaking is conducted in the form of prediction markets where citizens ‘bet’ on which proposed laws will best achieve these measures of national well-being, and are given additional votes for correct predictions.

Technocracy: Across the Indo-Pacific, revolution was averted as existing democracies and democratizing authoritarians gradually ceded ever more control to central planning and algorithms-based bureaucracy. ‘Technocracies’ generally retain features of representative democracy, but their civilian governments are held back from making contradictory or self-defeating decisions by the veto power of various review boards whose membership is made up of subject-matter experts and artificial intelligence. Democracy is more fully realized by voting held between such technical review boards.
Excellent map. Do you have more information about what happens in the future in TTL? I just really liked the worldbuilding

View attachment 804416

Agoracracy: In Latin America and then Africa, in response to decline in living standards amid misrule by old-school ideologues and military juntas, block-chain inspired “agorista” reforms were introduced to reduce the potential for elected authoritarianism. ‘Agoracracies’ still elect traditional politicians, but their responsibility has been limited to defining measures of national well-being; lawmaking is conducted in the form of prediction markets where citizens ‘bet’ on which proposed laws will best achieve these measures of national well-being, and are given additional votes for correct predictions.

I like how you portrayed the Taliban-ruled Afghanistan as still existing in the 22nd century as a country-sized time capsule, which is exactly the scenario I have for a cyberpunk story I am working on!
You should have specified better, at first I thought that the "Confederate State of Cuba" was the name of Cuba in this timeline, only when I noticed the 1870-1944 date that I realized it was from TL-191.

Chaoshan by a lot, followed by Hokkiong, Nanyue, and Wuyue. The DRC, Sichuan, and Manchuria both suffered from extended periods of dictatorship which limited their development potential; the RoC and Dian are still in that category. Bouxcuengh is moderately democratic but very underdeveloped.
Do the ROC or DRC have nukes like India/Pakistan?

Political Map of the Solar System - 2473 C.E.
Presented by the League of Sol Cultural Heritage Office (LOSCHO).

image.png

Mercury
Total Population: 980 Million
Largest City: Bezosia

image.png

Venus
Total Population: 3.6 Billion
Largest City: Kinsen

image.png

Earth
Total Population: 5.4 Billion
Largest City: New Delhi

image.png

Earth Lagrange Points
Total Population: 1.5 Billion
Largest City: Armstrong City

image.png

Mars
Total Population: 2.8 Billion
Largest City: Olympus City

image.png

Jupiter
Total Population: 730 Million
Largest City: Phosphora

image.png

Saturn
Total Population: 2.2 Million
Largest City: Scirocco

image.png

Security Council Members of the League of Sol

8LysSEY.png

Excerpt from "The World of the Bat and Ball"

".......There is absolutely no doubt that in all European countries that Football is King. Despite many hurdles in centuries of the sport's existence, Football was and has remained the most dominant sport on the European continent. But in 8 different European countries, another sport has always threatened Football's dominance with a solid and heavy fanbase of its own - Cricket. Britain, Ireland, France, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg all boast powerful football cultures, yet at the same time boast a powerful cricketing culture as well. The International Cricket Council (ICC) has continued its European direction as the World Cup moves from Britain & Ireland in 2019 to six continental European hosts for the 2023 Cricket World Cup. In a colossal undertaking, the six European countries of Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg are going to be co-hosts of the 2023 World Cup. Tensions are inflamed of course. England vs France is always a match to remember, and they're grouped in the same group. Of course, the sting of defeat in the 2022 FIFA Football Worldcup still remains in France, and most hope that France can make it up in Cricket. Italy's Test Team has remained unbeaten since 2020, and now they hope to convert that in ODIs. And then there is Germany, the champions of the 2020 European Cricket Cup, and clear favorites for many. The Dutch, Belgians and Luxembourgish don't boast a large talent pool like their European counterparts, but their teams are known to be explosive in T20Is and they can certainly punch far above their weight with the dutch remaining undefeated in ODI's at home since 2017. All hosts have their speculative eyes on the grandest prize the Cricketing world has to offer - The ODI World Cup......."

Basically from a timeline where cricket remains extremely popular in these countries. Thoughts?

This could've actually happened, at least here in Italy - the first association football clubs in the country (almost all of them founded by people of English descent) were born as association football and cricket clubs, you just need to find some way they could've kept playing cricket; weird coincidence, these countries are also the founding members of what would've eventually become the European Union.

Looking forward to France defeating England at their own game. :p And... wait, why would Germany name stadia after royalty? Was the monarchy restored after reunification?

Last edited:
A little silly project I had been working lately:
2022, but every country (except microstates or island nations, for obvious reasons) has at least one border changed from OTL, but without any major geopolitical consequences, all of them based on borders that could've been reality (or in fact were, but were changed) but for one reason or anothe didn't.
xAj3AWo.png

A little silly project I had been working lately:
2022, but every country (except microstates or island nations, for obvious reasons) has at least one border changed from OTL, but without any major geopolitical consequences, all of them based on borders that could've been reality (or in fact were, but were changed) but for one reason or anothe didn't.
xAj3AWo.png
I do wonder what Arizona's counties would be like without the Gadsden Purchase.

Ever wondered how the HRE in 1250
View attachment 804561
morphed into this for 1789
View attachment 804562
then check this out- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_in_the_Holy_Roman_Empire_(A)
which I have rendered into a spreadsheet- States of the HRE- Dates,Inheritances,conquests etc
Unless you made this on June 8 2008, it doesnt seem that you made this map. In which case, your sheet seems like the wrong thread to put this on.

Last edited:
Unless you made this on June 8 2008, it doesnt seem that you made this map. In which case, your sheet seems like the wrong thread to put this on.

I don't think it comes as a surprise to ANYONE that these 2 well known maps are from Wiki and not rendered at full size. The point of the post is to get people thinking, "how did the changes come about" and try to provide at least some answers.

I don't think it comes as a surprise to ANYONE that these 2 well known maps are from Wiki and not rendered at full size. The point of the post is to get people thinking, "how did the changes come about" and try to provide at least some answers.
Maybe you should create a Bob Hope's Map Resource thread to put them all into.

Ever wondered how the HRE in 1250
View attachment 804561
morphed into this for 1789
View attachment 804562
then check this out- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_in_the_Holy_Roman_Empire_(A)
which I have rendered into a spreadsheet- States of the HRE- Dates,Inheritances,conquests etc

You have too many very specific warnings about not spamming whatever you feel like in the Map Thread that I don't have any hesitation for kicking you to make you stop posting OTL maps here.

When you come back, use this thread to post:
1) Maps
2) That you created
3) That depict an alternate history scenario

Do not use it to post whatever stupid garbage you think will get you the attention you so desperately crave.

Status
Not open for further replies.