Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another wonderful map. So I am guessing we can expect the Alexandros Palaiologos empire map with colonies and influence soon. As I can see the United Provinces of Palaiologia are not shown in this map. Looking forward to seeing who owns the Pacific.
You remember that map?

That one is technically non canon because it was made for an RP.

XeT6acK.png

Inspired by a similar OTL map. I used DeepAI for the 2D princesses and some random filter for the CGI princesses. Generally, pretty impressive results, although I had to redraw their eyes manually almost every time.

XeT6acK.png

Inspired by a similar OTL map. I used DeepAI for the 2D princesses and some random filter for the CGI princesses. Generally, pretty impressive results, although I had to redraw their eyes manually almost every time.
A world where Hitler becomes an animator I assume? Apparently he was half-decent at drawing Disney characters so makes sense I suppose 🤔

You remember that map?

That one is technically non canon because it was made for an RP.
Fair enough. I assumed since it was in the same style as the Turkish empire map and, since there a Palailogos despot that it was the same universe. But either way looking forward to the Alexandrian era map. Perhaps a map of the world in the 20th century would be something that would be of interest in seeing.

Fair enough. I assumed since it was in the same style as the Turkish empire map and, since there a Palailogos despot that it was the same universe. But either way looking forward to the Alexandrian era map. Perhaps a map of the world in the 20th century would be something that would be of interest in seeing.
I'm actually gonna make world maps down the road, but with my current style they are gonna take longer.

I've posted a few aircraft from this universe elsethread, so here's the rest.

t1iGAZE.jpg

North America in Giant Canada World. Probably not really the most feasible AH, but in short, we have a world in which the United States fares significantly worse in 1812, leading to a significantly-enlarged Canada that encompasses an Indigenous buffer state as a key confederation partner. Subsequent developments deliver a significantly more stable Mexico, an American breakup prompted by mistrust of the North for perceived disloyalty during 1812, a rump US that takes its sweet time clawing its way into the modern world, and a bunch of stuff overseas that's not depicted here (e.g. A mega-Germany coming together with large roles for Saxony and Hanover, a divided Russia, a totally different Africa, et cetera.)

If nothing else, it's been fun fodder to play around with in my head.

Aside: The name "Charlotte" is pretty common as a placename in countries adjacent to Great Britain and its former empire, in large part because Princess Charlotte survives to take the crown.

EDIT: Realized I left the unfinished highway map in. Fixed.
Cursed 'cause you named my favorite state UTAH! D:< (notrly mad but no just no :p)

XeT6acK.png

The sheer shock and confusion of the creator, the art, and the descriptions was enough to initially distract me from the successful Zimmerman Telegram and how Germany rules most of Africa. Who are the Guianas under? Is it a German colony also? I can only imagine how close to Disney that Hitler would go, and if he manages to give Ophelia a happy ending in Hamlet. Perhaps she fakes her death or leaves Hamlet and hooks up with the Norwegian King. Ahhh wait, status married-princess. Guess Hamlet lives, or she marries him before he goes on the killing spree.

Last edited:
XeT6acK.png

Centrals won worrld war and there was no defeated nation for Hitler to "save", am I right?
Btw at first I though (and maybe hope :D) that that "indian" princess would be from some Karl May adaptation

A world where Hitler becomes an animator I assume? Apparently he was half-decent at drawing Disney characters so makes sense I suppose
Well, yeah, that's actually why I got the idea.
Centrals won worrld war and there was no defeated nation for Hitler to "save", am I right?
Yep.
Who are the Guianas under? Is it a German colony also?
Yes, it's a generic victory of the Central Powers, after all.
I can only imagine how close to Disney that Hitler would go, and if he manages to give Ophelia a happy ending in Hamlet. Perhaps she fakes her death or leaves Hamlet and hooks up with the Norwegian King. Ahhh wait, status married-princess. Guess Hamlet lives, or she marries him before he goes on the killing spree.
Claudius wanted to marry Ophelia instead of Gertrude, Hamlet saved her, took the throne and they lived happily ever after. But the average level of darkness is still about the same as in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame. At least that's how I imagined it.

Well, yeah, that's actually why I got the idea.

Yep.

Yes, it's a generic victory of the Central Powers, after all.

Claudius wanted to marry Ophelia instead of Gertrude, Hamlet saved her, took the throne and they lived happily ever after. But the average level of darkness is still about the same as in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame. At least that's how I imagined it.

It’s a German version of Disney, has anyone read German children books? I expect these movies to be low in happy endings and high in morale messages.

I used DeepAI for the 2D princesses
Now this is a wonderful use for algorithmic generation. Giving depth and life to alternate history productions. I thought years ago, when This Person Does Not Exist came out, that something like that could easily be used to generate the results of slightly different sperm and eggs creating alt-historical figures with similar roles in alt-timelines. Like one where it’s not Teddy Roosevelt, because his parents waited a month and therefore used different genetic information, but with the photo still looking like someone who could’ve been his brother. That sort of thing.

XeT6acK.png

That's uhhhh impressive, I'd have to say! It's just very jarring, took me a few good moments to get wth I was looking at.

Now this is a wonderful use for algorithmic generation. Giving depth and life to alternate history productions. I thought years ago, when This Person Does Not Exist came out, that something like that could easily be used to generate the results of slightly different sperm and eggs creating alt-historical figures with similar roles in alt-timelines. Like one where it’s not Teddy Roosevelt, because his parents waited a month and therefore used different genetic information, but with the photo still looking like someone who could’ve been his brother. That sort of thing.
This sounds marvelous!

My contribution for the map contest:

MotF 266: You're Not Welcome Here: Make a map depicting an international pariah state.

1667173067709.png

The history of New England is intimately linked to the history of the English colonial empire. In the 17th century, the English colonies in North America were plagued by many difficulties. Attacks from the Indians and other European powers undermined possible economic benefits, while discouraging the mainland settlers from crossing the Atlantic. Virginia at that time suffered a revolt of Puritans who could no longer stand the rule of the King of England, and the colonies north of Virginia [1] were eventually wiped out in King Alexander's War [2].
It is in this context that the English monarchs went further south, to the Caribbean. At the end of the 17th century, after the foundation of Queensland [3], they chose to turn to the island of Hispaniola. Abandoned by the Spanish power, the French had settled in the western part of the island, while the English succeeded in taking the eastern half. In 1678 they took the city of Santo Domingo, renamed New-Gloucester in honor of the Duke of Gloucester [4].
This trading empire was also supported by outposts in Belize and Suriname as well as trading posts in West Africa. But the defeat of London in the Spanish and French wars of succession, as well as a speculative bubble in Queensland, devastated the small nascent empire.
In the 18th century, the English colonies, like the rest of Europe, remained in the shadow of the Bourbon Empire, which dominated Europe at that time, as well as most of the world and its trade.
But at the end of the 18th century, when the Franco-Spanish monarchy began to collapse under its own weight, England was able to lead numerous assaults against its colonies. She succeeded in wresting many islands in the northern Antilles, capturing western Hispaniola and the Green Cape [5] and strengthening her presence in Central America. These victories were accompanied by the end of the Franco-Spanish monopoly on the slave trade.
An economic model of great efficiency began to emerge, which through slavery produced sugar and rum in its islands and cotton and tobacco on the continent [6].
When the Danish Revolution and the Bourbon wars of legitimacy tore Europe and the rest of the world apart, England was not spared. Imitating other revolutionary movements in Northern Europe and South America, Queensland declared its independence and founded its own Consulate.
The collapse of the Franco-Spanish empire allowed Queensland to take advantage of the situation and supply a large part of the slave market in the Americas. New England, especially New Gloucester, became the hub of this extremely juicy slave market. Relying on indigenous states in Guinea, they sold hundreds of thousands of slaves to the consular states, transported in the holds of their steamships. The modern medicine protecting against various fevers motivated European explorers to set out to conquer Africa. The most famous of them was Edward Brixton who in 1824 carved out his own slave state north of the Pepper Coast. This European immigration from Germany and Scandinavia also took place in the West Indies, taking advantage of the status of indentured servants.
The little golden age of Queensland came to an end very quickly. Florida, conquered a few decades earlier, regained its independence in 1838 after numerous revolts. The devastating Appalachian War of 1856 against the Empire of Missepie [7] ended the Queensland Consulate, which fell into civil war. In 1862, in reaction to an abolitionist takeover in Queensland, the planters of New Gloucester, led by Samuel Cook, chose to declare their independence from the rest of the colonial empire.
A slave state emerged from New England in the form of a Directory. Organized around a collegiate assembly, with elections based on censal suffrage, they made their fortune by conducting the slave trade on an unprecedented industrial scale, producing cotton, tobacco, sugar and rum that was sold throughout the Americas. The chaos still reigning between the various newly independent American states allowed New England to stay out of the conflicts and to take advantage of this position to recreate a monopoly on the trade.
This extremely brutal trade policy was also accompanied by the end of the special status of European indentured servants. In a few decades their model succeeded in throwing many whites into poverty by the massive arrival of African slaves. By the end of the century, entire regions of the Gulf of Guinea were totally depopulated by New England slave traders.

But this whole model was soon to come to an end...

The increasing mechanization and industrialization, the moral denunciation and the impoverishment of the land began to make slavery less profitable and to eat away at the economy of the Directory.
Added to this was greater opposition from the international scene. Many European countries refused to trade with New England, horrified by the abuses suffered by the slaves.
In the years that followed, many allies and trading partners, under international pressure, chose to end the trade (contenting themselves only with their slaves already on their soil). Soon New England became the last state to practice the slave trade.
Without its foreign markets, New England entered a deep recession. Slave traders found themselves having to search for and sell slaves under much more difficult conditions, risking attack by abolitionist ships and with no guarantee of being able to resell their catch. Planters and large landowners found themselves unable to sell their produce, condemning their properties to extinction. The lack of industry or any other economy not dependent on slavery turned the former wealth of New England into poison.
This recession was accompanied by revolts from the slaves. As they became idle and discovered the condition of former slaves abroad, the uprisings became more and more numerous. In addition to this, the poor white population, former indentured servants, were becoming increasingly unhappy with the generalized impoverishment in which they lived.
This economic deterioration was accompanied by a political deterioration with New England's neighbors. Attacks on merchant ships multiplied and territorial encroachments that had once been tolerated during the many wars of the 19th century were no longer tolerated. There were numerous tensions with Missépie and Cuba over access to the Atlantic and the Federation of the West Indies [8] could no longer tolerate territorial disputes on its borders. The revolt of the Domingois, slaves and francophones in the west of the island took on worrying proportions, threatening New-Gloucester itself.

The directors in the capital were stubbornly sticking to their model, unable to imagine a new one for their nation. But on February 15, 1917, the explosion of a United Kingdom Saxon-Polish-Lithuanian merchant ship not far from a New Englander fort in Senegambia would throw them into war and destroy their relic of a country.

[1] OTL New England.
[2] OTL King Philip's Brother, also known as Metacomet.
[3] OTL Carolinas and Georgia.
[4] ITTL Henry Stuart survived.
[5] OTL Cape Verde.
[6] Due to the presence of more powerful African states, a Bourbon monopoly on the trade throughout the century, the early discovery of beet sugar, and legal protection for European indentured servants, the slave trade found itself taking off later, in the late 18th century.
[7] OTL Louisiana.
[8] OTL New Spain and New Grenada.

Brazil is divided between a Portuguese north and an indpendent kingdom in the south ruled by a cadet branch of the Braganzas. Patagonia is British, and the rest of the Americas that aren't part of Britain, the Netherlands, or France are divided between Spain in the Caribbean and the Spanish Viceroyalties on the mainland. which have eveloved into a relationship with the metropole similiar to the OTL Commonwealth realms.

The territories gained by the Balkan states during their independence from the Ottomans were different ITTL. That's the Kingdom of Serbia, which expanded into Bosnia, Montenegro, and OTL Albania, while Bulgaria gained most of Macedonia. Dalmatia and other parts of the Adriatic coasts are split between Venice and Ragusa.
Ah makes sense, so the core of whichever Serbian revolt succeeded ITTL was southwest of the OTL core area of the Serbian revolution? A clever way to get drastically divergent borders.

Although its cool, Im a bit disappointed. Before Serbia gained independence, Montenegro sought to be the liberator of the Serbs with Russian aid (though this all depends on when and what your POD is), and I think Montenegrin-led pan-Serbianism or even pan-Slavism is underused. And ofc, due to its multicultural/multireligious nature, and the view by proto-Yugoslavists (followers of the Illyrian armorials) of the Bosnian kingdom as being the successor to the perceived/imagined pan-Yugoslav project of the Serbian empire, Yugoslavism rising out of Bosnia is surprisingly doable.

Ah makes sense, so the core of whichever Serbian revolt succeeded ITTL was southwest of the OTL core area of the Serbian revolution? A clever way to get drastically divergent borders.

Although its cool, Im a bit disappointed. Before Serbia gained independence, Montenegro sought to be the liberator of the Serbs with Russian aid (though this all depends on when and what your POD is), and I think Montenegrin-led pan-Serbianism or even pan-Slavism is underused. And ofc, due to its multicultural/multireligious nature, and the view by proto-Yugoslavists (followers of the Illyrian armorials) of the Bosnian kingdom as being the successor to the perceived/imagined pan-Yugoslav project of the Serbian empire, Yugoslavism rising out of Bosnia is surprisingly doable.
Huh, TIL. Maybe in a future timeline I'll have Serbia formed by a Montenegro that stayed a Prince-Bishopric. The Prince-Archbishopric of Serbia sounds pretty cool as a name.

Warring States of Sports:
The Territorial Gains and Competitive Landscapes Over Mob Sports
Altera_Sports_Mob_AH.jpg
This is the second most preferred sport kind of map that Zveiner and I made for Atlas Altera. This one features the six most prominent "mob sports" or full contact type of football to be played professionally around the world of Altera. A couple of these sports I made up completely... One has a nod to quidditch (can you spot it?), and there's also a spinoff of a very popular OTL non-tackle sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.