Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been many, many, MANY maps on this or similar scenarios in these Map Threads over the years. You can probably find a fair few just by searching 'Franz Ferdinand'.
So if you're lonely, you know those scenarios will be there waiting for you.

</obligatory00sculturalreference>

reverse cold war victory.png

1981, after the dissolution of NATO, SEATO, and the withdrawal of the US into semi-isolationism.
Just an idea of a realistic Soviet Cold War victory, where the U.S. does not collapse but is bloodied enough to retreat to a more isolationist position. Western Europe forms the EU to survive as West Germany joins the East. North Korea invades the defenseless South and Taiwan is gobbled up by China. Israel is invaded by Arab nations. Biggest PoD is Ford getting elected in 1976 and dropping the ball hard.​

View attachment 720911
1981, after the dissolution of NATO, SEATO, and the withdrawal of the US into semi-isolationism.
Just an idea of a realistic Soviet Cold War victory, where the U.S. does not collapse but is bloodied enough to retreat to a more isolationist position. Western Europe forms the EU to survive as West Germany joins the East. North Korea invades the defenseless South and Taiwan is gobbled up by China. Israel is invaded by Arab nations. Biggest PoD is Ford getting elected in 1976 and dropping the ball hard.​
TFW Norway joins EuroFed, while Sweden, a member of the EU (unlike Norway), doesn't

View attachment 720911
If the Soviet Union prevailed like this, you'd think there'd be a lot more knock-on happenings in Central and South America in this timeline as well.

TFW Norway joins EuroFed, while Sweden, a member of the EU (unlike Norway), doesn't
Sweden was part of the EU because it was largely agreed upon to be purely economical at the time, whereas Norway narrowly refused to be part of the EU and doesn't have a policy of neutrality, unlike Sweden. Norway is willing to pick a side in the Cold War, not Sweden, so I guess Sweden is in a Switzerland like posture where they have extensive trade agreements and other facilitations with the EU without being officially part of it.

I don't know, if there were just as many or even more women in charge of the world's most powerful states than men, I doubt it'd be as peaceful a world as we seem to think - it's a common trope because we've seen first-hand how cruel a man's world can be, but it could be a "Stalin or Trotsky?" deal instead - power being well, power, it could be very likely that we'd see more Elizabeth Holmes-like sociopaths instead.

Yeah, we all remember how peaceable Russia was under Catherine the Great, how unaggressive Britain was under Elizabeth I, and what a pushover Isabella was.

If the arab invade Israel and are on the verge of victory...well, it's bye bye Middle East; the PRC don't have the mean to inglobe Taiwan for at least a couple of decade and the moment the USA will renege his pledge to defend her Taiwan atomic weapons program will go on overdrive; the second Korean war will be a bloody mess that will leave both side an husk.
Why West Germany join the East? Surely the Russian are not very keen for a German reunification and i don't see a lot of popular willingness in join that happy barrack that was East Germany.
The UK and Spain will also join the EU due to the strange desire to not be left alone in facing the URSS
The brown thing in North Africa will be unstable as hell as all nations really dislike each others

Deleted member 139407

le soviet victory snip​
Is that a US-owned Greenland I see?
How did that North African federation come to be? It is a very diverse area and the first thought that came to mind is a North African economic community a la the European Steel and Coal Community, which led to the EU.
As posed by @lukedalton, why have Spain and the UK not yet joined the federalized EU?
When did Germany get fully subsumed into the Soviet Union? I only ask because it looks like Germany is in a federation with Austria as Czechoslovakia is.
What's going on with India over there? Is Pakistan independent or is it an autonomous federation within an Indian Commonwealth (I only ask because of the different shades of purple)?

Is that a US-owned Greenland I see?
How did that North African federation come to be? It is a very diverse area and the first thought that came to mind is a North African economic community a la the European Steel and Coal Community, which led to the EU.
As posed by @lukedalton, why have Spain and the UK not yet joined the federalized EU?
When did Germany get fully subsumed into the Soviet Union? I only ask because it looks like Germany is in a federation with Austria as Czechoslovakia is.
What's going on with India over there? Is Pakistan independent or is it an autonomous federation within an Indian Commonwealth (I only ask because of the different shades of purple)?
Sorry, I was busy at work. Lemme use this post to break it down for everyone.

I was lazy and forgot to color Greenland. It's Danish.
Gaddafi's dream of a Maghrebi federation come to life.
I went by NATO members in Europe, minus Britain. Britain is an ally of the EU, however, and Spain was not part of NATO yet OTL.
I went by the logic of the losing side caving to the other Germany, like OTL.
I didn't change India from the base 1980 Worlda map.

Sorry, I was busy at work. Lemme use this post to break it down for everyone.

I was lazy and forgot to color Greenland. It's Danish.
Gaddafi's dream of a Maghrebi federation come to life.
I went by NATO members in Europe, minus Britain. Britain is an ally of the EU, however, and Spain was not part of NATO yet OTL.
I went by the logic of the losing side caving to the other Germany, like OTL.
I didn't change India from the base 1980 Worlda map.
Well NATO dissolution, USA isolationism and Europe left alone are big enough world changing event to make people in Madrid and London (or in any other part of the world) having a drastic change on their general politics or accelerate economic and political trend* (at least i suggest some mean to put them as EU aligned)
Well German reunification was a process due to the total collapse of the Soviet block and influence in east europe and because there were a genuine desire for the eastern german to reunificate.
In your scenario such collapse it's not present as Western Europe still stand (alone but stand) and while people in Western Germany want reunification...i doubt that will assault goverment building overthrowing the democratically elected parlamient to force unification with a communist dictatorship with such system become the effective goverment system of the reunited Germany (plus i doubt that Moscow want an united Germany)
Plus it seem that Austria and Finland had become communist and joined the Warsaw Pact, honestly such thing will make even Sweden* decide to join the EU (or at least EU aligned) as it seem being neutral mean nothing

* even more due to the second Korean World, the Third Taiwan Crisis and the fifth Arab-Israelian war happing more or less at the same time (or just one after another)

Well NATO dissolution, USA isolationism and Europe left alone are big enough world changing event to make people in Madrid and London (or in any other part of the world) having a drastic change on their general politics or accelerate economic and political trend* (at least i suggest some mean to put them as EU aligned)
Well German reunification was a process due to the total collapse of the Soviet block and influence in east europe and because there were a genuine desire for the eastern german to reunificate.
In your scenario such collapse it's not present as Western Europe still stand (alone but stand) and while people in Western Germany want reunification...i doubt that will assault goverment building overthrowing the democratically elected parlamient to force unification with a communist dictatorship with such system become the effective goverment system of the reunited Germany (plus i doubt that Moscow want an united Germany)
Plus it seem that Austria and Finland had become communist and joined the Warsaw Pact, honestly such thing will make even Sweden* decide to join the EU (or at least EU aligned) as it seem being neutral mean nothing

* even more due to the second Korean World, the Third Taiwan Crisis and the fifth Arab-Israelian war happing more or less at the same time (or just one after another)
That's fair, maybe I took too much inspiration from Red World with this map.

India as the Portuguese found in 1498: Age of 3 Empires, by Sārthākā
INDIA AS THE PORTUGUESE FOUND IN 1498
JiZ8uWE.png

When the Portuguese arrived in India in 1498, the Indian Subcontinent was undergoing what was called the Era of Three Empires/Era of Three Emperors. The Era of Three Emperors stretch back all the way to the 1370s. In 1372, a Shia rebellion in Pashto Lands, led by Shah Jafar Al-Tahir defeated his regional lords, and carved out his own Shiite state in the region. Instead of focusing on the rich Persian lands to the west, Al-Tahir focused on the lush Indian Subcontinent, and with his martial prowess, began to carve out his own Shiite Empire in the region. In 1442, his great-grandson, Manzur II declared himself to be the Shia Caliph - in the likeness of the Fatimid Caliphate of old, establishing a new Caliphate again, thus founding the Tahirid Caliphate. In 1392, Raja Jayastithi Malla was on a campaign of reuniting Nepal under the banner of the Malla Dynasty and his own personal faith - Vajrayana Buddhism. The Battle of Pyalpa ended in resounding Malla victory, allowing Jayasthiti Malla to reunite Nepal under his banner in 1398. In the 1420s, Nepala and the Tahirids allied with one another to bring down the Delhi Sultanate, succeeding where the past enemies of the Delhi Sultanate had failed. But this alliance was starting to collapse as new interests took hold of both governments. In the south, the Vijayanagara Empire defeated the ascendant Bahmani Sultanate in the 1460s, sweeping its power to the north as well. By the 1480s, most of India was divided along the three empires, and their satellite states in the subcontinent. As Vasco de Gama said upon returning to Portugal, "India is in the Age of 3 Empires."

Thoughts and Comments?

JiZ8uWE.png

When the Portuguese arrived in India in 1498, the Indian Subcontinent was undergoing what was called the Era of Three Empires/Era of Three Emperors. The Era of Three Emperors stretch back all the way to the 1370s. In 1372, a Shia rebellion in Pashto Lands, led by Shah Jafar Al-Tahir defeated his regional lords, and carved out his own Shiite state in the region. Instead of focusing on the rich Persian lands to the west, Al-Tahir focused on the lush Indian Subcontinent, and with his martial prowess, began to carve out his own Shiite Empire in the region. In 1442, his great-grandson, Manzur II declared himself to be the Shia Caliph - in the likeness of the Fatimid Caliphate of old, establishing a new Caliphate again, thus founding the Tahirid Caliphate. In 1392, Raja Jayastithi Malla was on a campaign of reuniting Nepal under the banner of the Malla Dynasty and his own personal faith - Vajrayana Buddhism. The Battle of Pyalpa ended in resounding Malla victory, allowing Jayasthiti Malla to reunite Nepal under his banner in 1398. In the 1420s, Nepala and the Tahirids allied with one another to bring down the Delhi Sultanate, succeeding where the past enemies of the Delhi Sultanate had failed. But this alliance was starting to collapse as new interests took hold of both governments. In the south, the Vijayanagara Empire defeated the ascendant Bahmani Sultanate in the 1460s, sweeping its power to the north as well. By the 1480s, most of India was divided along the three empires, and their satellite states in the subcontinent. As Vasco de Gama said upon returning to Portugal, "India is in the Age of 3 Empires."

Thoughts and Comments?
The good old nepal wank.

But anyway, jammu gets to be on the map while srinagar doesn't?

Jammu as far I know was for most it's history was a non descript place.

It was the dogra dynasty that put it on the map.
Just a few days back, I was reading an article about Zorawar's campaign in tibet. It also had the treaty between the dogra's and Tibet. It mentioned Ghulab singh as the ruler of kashmir. Mind you, this is years before he got Kashmir.

and is the sultanate of kashmir supposed to be a tributary of kingdom of Nepal?

Last edited:
The good old nepal wank.
Did you expect anything else ;)?
But anyway, jammu gets to be on the map while srinagar doesn't?

Jammu as far I know was for most it's history was a non descript place.
Eh, the base map i had didn't show Srinagar, and i was too confused to accurately keep it so.......yeah :oops:
and is the sultanate of kashmir supposed to be a tributary of kingdom of Nepal?
Vassal more than tributary

JiZ8uWE.png

Thoughts and Comments?
Really good map, A very realistic Tripartite struggle in India again.

I see Nepal is able to defeat the Shia Caliphate due to their massive manpower reserves and financial potential, as well as geographic conditions that make sure both these empires fight, where as Vijayanagara chills down for the time being, centralizing and integrating southern India. Future conflict between Vijayanagara and Nepala would be deadly and brutal though if Nepala is fully able to utlize a United Northern, Eastern and Western India to its full potential, it wins in a war

Status
Not open for further replies.