Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
lg5lg73.png

"If none of my children are to live upon my death, then my realm is to be bequeathed to the Caliph of All Islam." - that was the will of Sultan Alauddin Ri'ayat Syah al-Kahar in our history after his firstborn and favorite son Abdullah died of disease after an epidemic. Historically, his other two sons survived, allowing the Sultanate of Aceh as an independent body to continue, but what if his other sons did not survive the epidemic as well? Upon the Sultan's death in 1571, the Sultanate of Aceh is formally handed over as an autonomous region (Kaza) of the Ottoman Empire, with the Sultan of the Ottomans accepting the offer next year in 1572 formally. Immediately conflict begins with the Portuguese over Malacca, with the Ottomans ousting the Portuguese by 1612, dealing a major blow to Portuguese and Iberian sea and trading power in the east. For most of history however, Ottoman East Indies remained a backwater region, with the Ottomans only really using the important trade route and nothing much else. Everything changed in 1842, when Tanzimat spread into the region as well. Administrative borders were changed, but this provoked a massive rebellion from the tribes of the region, who had enjoyed their autonomy under the previous decentralized regimes of the Ottoman Empire. The Batak Rebellion of 1849 - 1853 is dealt with and the reforms continue. By 1900, the Ottoman East Indies had become a prosperous and (mostly) loyal region within the Ottoman Empire. As the World teeters on the brink of total war in 1914, the future of the Ottoman East Indies is in question..........

Thoughts and Comments?

I am not very sure on the Turkish city names.

Yeni Atina/New Athens works fine.
Deli Nehir Şehri/Mad (or Crazy or Insane) River City?
Sele Çubuğu/Flood Stick?
Kudret Helvası/Halva of Might?

Or maybe did I misunderstand your intention with those three names?

Most Balochi Shias immigrated to Iran in the 50s, according to the 1941 British Raj Update, around 24% of Balochistani adherents of Islam were shiite.
I believe those were mostly Hazaras and other non-ethnic-Balochis living in Balochistan. I suppose the Iranians might swamp the area with Shi'a settlers, although it would require an atypically "Assyrian" approach to doing things.

Last edited:
Wher is the history and where is the United Earth Government? And what happens with Iran?
The United Earth Government, while representing Terra within the Galaxy. Is not a single nation state nor simply countries or governments on the planet earth, with the United Earth Government representing virtually all nations on earth. With the various previous nations of earth before contact still retaining their unique governments and cultures. But united in terms of interstellar relations, a common armed forces and a single common economy along with legstating various common goals for the governments of earth and having final executive authority on a number of issues, including colonial relationships.

The U.E.G was formed from the various American-lead alliances, primarily NATO after fall of Emperor Palpatine's new order as a single world government to represent Terra to the galaxy and thus is based on American and to a lesser extent commonwealth political culture and procedures.

Iran went through a secularization revolution after the government turned on anti-government protests that emerged from the celebrations of Terran forces leading the downfall of the new order. With similar revolutions taking place in both China and territory held by the Taliban.

Kingdom of Louisiana, by Sārthākā
oorXSIo.png

In 1802, the Louisiana Purchase Negotiations failed. Horribly, with Napoleon, in need of money, not wishing to give up all that land for what was an extremely small price. Louisiana remained French. In 1807, the British occupied the colony and gave up control of it (nominally) to the Bourbon Claimants of the French Throne in 1813. In 1815, Louisiana came back under mainland French control as the Bourbons were restored. In 1830, however, the 'Paris' Revolution deposed the Bourbons once again, and this time, the Bourbons went into exile once again, this time to their colony in Louisiana. For two generations, Lousiana claimed to be the rightful government of France until the Treaty of 1882 between Louisiana and the Third French Republic, which made Louisiana an independent Kingdom, dropping their claims to France in return for the French Republic reimbursing all lost monetary resources of the House of Bourbon back to them. During the Great War, Louisiana was the primary front against the nationalist regime in America, with its fertile and resource-rich north mostly occupied by the invading forces, until they were pushed back out by General John L'eau's Grand Offensive of the North. During the Second Great War, Louisiana remained independent until declaring war on the Syndicalist Union of Western Europe in favor of restoring French sovereignty. Today, the country is a prosperous and peaceful nation.

Thoughts and comments?

You seem to have a thing for female rulers. Nothing wrong with that, but it is amusing. If we put all your maps together into one world, it's a world ruled by woman!
Hmm, perhaps a fellow enthusiast who wished to see more powerful women in history😉.

I don't know, if there were just as many or even more women in charge of the world's most powerful states than men, I doubt it'd be as peaceful a world as we seem to think - it's a common trope because we've seen first-hand how cruel a man's world can be, but it could be a "Stalin or Trotsky?" deal instead - power being well, power, it could be very likely that we'd see more Elizabeth Holmes-like sociopaths instead.

And if, on one hand, determining inheritance would be easier, since mater semper certa est (the main reason behind many peoples' less than enlightened laws concerning women had a lot to do with inheritance being a tricky thing if you don't know who the father is), men could be treated as expendable cannon fodder even more so than IRL, even in the more gender equal pre-industrial societies that we know of (such as the Haudenosaunee, for example) men were the warrior caste.

It's an interesting concept, for sure.

oorXSIo.png

In 1802, the Louisiana Purchase Negotiations failed. Horribly, with Napoleon, in need of money, not wishing to give up all that land for what was an extremely small price. Louisiana remained French. In 1807, the British occupied the colony and gave up control of it (nominally) to the Bourbon Claimants of the French Throne in 1813. In 1815, Louisiana came back under mainland French control as the Bourbons were restored. In 1830, however, the 'Paris' Revolution deposed the Bourbons once again, and this time, the Bourbons went into exile once again, this time to their colony in Louisiana. For two generations, Lousiana claimed to be the rightful government of France until the Treaty of 1882 between Louisiana and the Third French Republic, which made Louisiana an independent Kingdom, dropping their claims to France in return for the French Republic reimbursing all lost monetary resources of the House of Bourbon back to them. During the Great War, Louisiana was the primary front against the nationalist regime in America, with its fertile and resource-rich north mostly occupied by the invading forces, until they were pushed back out by General John L'eau's Grand Offensive of the North. During the Second Great War, Louisiana remained independent until declaring war on the Syndicalist Union of Western Europe in favor of restoring French sovereignty. Today, the country is a prosperous and peaceful nation.

Thoughts and comments?
It should be noted thatthe Americans approached the French about Louisiana, being prepared to offer ten million dollars for the port. Napoleon countered with fifteen million for everything. I expect he would have managed to sell something, if only because the Americans were angry about millions of dollars in claims from well over a hundred American ships the French kept seizing and selling the goods of. Not sure how much of those claims were included in the total spent. Anyways, I would question having the capital be where you show it. Sure, they will get a big moat, but there is only so much space for defensive works, industrial establishments, and the organs of government. There is also the issue of its border, as here it has been given Spanish land which only went to Louisiana when Spain and the US made an agreement while let to so many straight lines in their borders. I don’t see the Americans waiting until WWI to invade, which would have began in the War of 1812 as they are now surrounded by British claimed or occupied lands. How you decide on some of the names for cities? I would have expected rather a lot more being native inspired. Saint George and Fort Victoria are plausible, even if close to the Canadian border, but New Belfast seems odd. Not going to lie, it is an interesting concept. Maybe sometime do a sequel showing the Métis or some hassles with the Americans if they tried expelling the Five Civilized Tribes across the border? Given the low amount of Mixed and Natives you give for races, I am guessing they didn’t happen here though.

The Battle of Arras, 21 May 1940.
This is a sketch I did to go with a chapter I'm working on. I'm not sure if this really belongs here - I haven't noticed any other small-scale tactical maps in this thread - but I thought I'd throw it up and see what folks think.

Also, just to state the obvious, it's based on previous work (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Battle_of_Arras_(21_May_1940).png).
View attachment 720596
I like small-scale tactical maps, and I like making small-scale tactical maps, but they never seem to get any traction on the main Map Thread for some reason. Do you reckon it might be worth trying to set up a separate dedicated pinned thread for them?

oorXSIo.png

Thoughts and comments?
I assume Borealia is the Oregon Country and some adjacent territories?

I figured the way to a Louisiana monarchy was for something to happen when Louis-Philippe was in the United States circa 1801-1802.

I like small-scale tactical maps, and I like making small-scale tactical maps, but they never seem to get any traction on the main Map Thread for some reason. Do you reckon it might be worth trying to set up a separate dedicated pinned thread for them?
I do, too, and if someone started that thread, I'd be likely to follow. But they aren't something I'm likely to contribute often. (This is literaly the first that I've done)

I was going to say I wasn't sure the thread needed to be pinned, but I just noticed this forum has _a lot_ of pinned threads. I'm guessing threads here that aren 't pinned probably get kind of starved for attention...

Status
Not open for further replies.