Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
[50+ Likes] Map of Poland following the Great War, by Votre Idéolinguiste Local
p9nk9il7tp781.png

Map of the Republic of Poland
As it is since the Great War

Just a bit of lore. You may see that this map was created by two Cartographic Institutes, Louis Lepeyroux in Paris and Józef Rakoczy in Wilno. These two fictive men were adventurers and cartographers during the late 18th and early 19th century, becoming famous for their works and wild stories. They were also very good "friends", spending a humongous lot of time with each other and addressing to one another in letters in a way that today would be unequivocally that of two lovers, but which certain historians will describe as just how people talked back then, and that absolutely nothing close to a loving gay relationship would've ever happened between the two.
And since I've grown very fund of them in like the four hours that this relationship exists, and the six of the existence of Józef Rakoczy, they died together at 92 years old in their bed.

p9nk9il7tp781.png

Map of the Republic of Poland
As it is since the Great War

Just a bit of lore. You may see that this map was created by two Cartographic Institutes, Louis Lepeyroux in Paris and Józef Rakoczy in Wilno. These two fictive men were adventurers and cartographers during the late 18th and early 19th century, becoming famous for their works and wild stories. They were also very good "friends", spending a humongous lot of time with each other and addressing to one another in letters in a way that today would be unequivocally that of two lovers, but which certain historians will describe as just how people talked back then, and that absolutely nothing close to a loving gay relationship would've ever happened between the two.
And since I've grown very fund of them in like the four hours that this relationship exists, and the six of the existence of Józef Rakoczy, they died together at 92 years old in their bed.
Such great friends!!!!

Bonjour mon ami !
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen in the french page it's written by Jean-Baptiste Lully for the king's anal fistula. It is a disagreement about its origin, undestandable as it is too much fun to mock the english. Oh ask a norman about that, Guillaume was mostly latin french speaker, look at your language with 30% of french words. Not exactly he was decapitated but we made a better version with guillotine. At the time but the queen now is mostly german origin lol
Joyeux Noel to you too ! and Bon Week-end
Far be it from me to intrude and point out that french wiki itself describes the source for this as apocryphal (as it should since Marquise de Créquy's diaries only appeared a generation after her death and were regarded with suspicion by experts even then). ;)

The Heresy of Saint Nicholas and its Consequences
I6WkFsK.png
Nicholas of Myra (Also known as Nicholas the Heretic, Nicholas the Wondermaker, and Saint Nicholas) was a early church leader in what is today known as the Kingdom of Hyperborea's Pyhäkaupunki Province. He was excommunicated after the Council of Nicea and was executed for continuing his teachings. His students fled into the Kingdom of Hyperborea, then a small kingdom on the most northern parts of the Fennoscandian peninsula. Nicholasism gradually spread among the people of Hyperborea, but also the significant elven population. The elves themselves held onto their native religious traditions, including the veneration of Reindeer and their use of the holly plant. Elves also had a reputation for being fortune tellers. Similar to Crystal Balls, the elvish elders could supposedly see the future in their "Snow Globes".
By 1550, the Kingdom of Hyperborea had spread across the entire north of the Fennoscandian peninsula and had begun to colonize Greenland. During this time, Nicholasism, which has slowly been reforming itself over the past few hundred years, transformed in Greenland. It combined all the Elvish religious traditions with the teaching of Saint Nicholas into Syncratic Nicholasism (Also called Santaism, Yulism, and the X-Mass Movement)

The Kingdom of Hyperborea is one of the longest existing nation-states in history with a single ruling dynasty. While the origins of the family are shrouded in myth and legend, the first archeological evidence comes from 352 BCE where there is mention of the House of Pakkasta ruling in Mora. It became the House of Pakkasta-Klaas in the 1230s when King Alfred I married Princess Martha Klaas of the Kingdom of the Alps. The Kingdom greatly expanded after the introduction of Nicholasism to the nation. For a few hundred years, the Kingdom was confined to the Fennoscandian peninsula and Greenland. It was after the First Great War in 1848 where they gained the territory of Pyhäkaupunki in what is now the Osman Republic. A major shake-up occurred after the death of King Alfred XXV in 1994. With no direct heirs the royal geneologists had to find a new monarch. The only male-line decendent eligible for the throne was American Scott Calvin, who would become Scott I of the House of Pakkasta-Klass-Calvin. The heir to the throne is Prince Charlie, who will become King Charles I upon his ascension.

1640471232435.png

I hadn't seen anyone do a high quality Q-bam map of the world of Malê Rising, so I made this.
Europe just before the North German Invasion of Bavaria in February of 1893.

(Edit; Morocco is inaccurate )

Last edited:
Far be it from me to intrude and point out that french wiki itself describes the source for this as apocryphal (as it should since Marquise de Créquy's diaries only appeared a generation after her death and were regarded with suspicion by experts even then). ;)
Watch out, you're close to @Flosgon78 petitioning to have Poland added to @Aztekk 's map

Anyone here has experience with subterranean maps ? I want to make my own but don't know where to start!
I've done an Underworld map in the Worlda format before, wherein "solid rock" is depicted as a single color separate from tunnel, magma flow, and water.

The big limitation is that it is hard to communicate when a tunnel crosses under or over another tunnel in a 2D top-down format. Related, I've seen flying islands communicated on maps by outlining different heights as different colors, and then sharing both a composite map and separate layer maps. For a Worlda format, it might work for tunnels as well.

I know a lot of people here have done Metro maps, and I imagine a subterranean tunnel or cavern map is very similar in design to those as well.

1640484297544.png

Merry Christmas everyone! Here's my contribution to the new thread.

What if the Christmas Truce ended the war?

The Christmas Truce ITL was much more widespread, maybe everyone was more jolly with the spirit of Christmas or something. Anyhow, the extensive amount of Christmas truces occurring throughout literally every front of the War resulted in Officers to attempt to discipline the soldiers and move them much like OTL. However, soldiers quickly realize that the war is simply for the benefit of the people who rule the nations. This philosophy resulted in multiple factions lead by leaders of both sides of the front. For example, a ceasefire compromised between British and Germans would be lead by a British representative and a German representative. These factions within the war front completely shut down the war effort, and, similarly to a union, went on strike. These massive strikes organized collectively as the "Peace Movement" or "Movement for Peace" spread to nations fighting among the wars. Germany quickly entered a coup d'état lead by liberal minded individuals to oust the Military Regime put in place to continue the war. Not wanting to fall to Germany's example, nations of the war quickly put down their arms and peace prevailed. Alsace Lorraine, an Independent and collective Polish state, and a Multi-Ethnic Triple Empire would come from the ashes of the new and much, much more peaceful, world.

And then everyone was happy.

The end.

(FYI, Leithanian Fed. should be the Austro-Hungarian-Illyrian Empire/Triple Empire)

View attachment 705958

The Christmas Truce ITL was much more widespread, maybe everyone was more jolly with the spirit of Christmas or something. Anyhow, the extensive amount of Christmas truces occurring throughout literally every front of the War resulted in Officers to attempt to discipline the soldiers and move them much like OTL. However, soldiers quickly realize that the war is simply for the benefit of the people who rule the nations. This philosophy resulted in multiple factions lead by leaders of both sides of the front. For example, a ceasefire compromised between British and Germans would be lead by a British representative and a German representative. These factions within the war front completely shut down the war effort, and, similarly to a union, went on strike. These massive strikes organized collectively as the "Peace Movement" or "Movement for Peace" spread to nations fighting among the wars. Germany quickly entered a coup d'état lead by liberal minded individuals to oust the Military Regime put in place to continue the war. Not wanting to fall to Germany's example, nations of the war quickly put down their arms and peace prevailed. Alsace Lorraine, an Independent and collective Polish state, and a Multi-Ethnic Triple Empire would come from the ashes of the new and much, much more peaceful, world.

The end.

(FYI, Leithanian Fed. should be the Austro-Hungarian-Illyrian Empire/Triple Empire)
Nice! What would the symbol of the peace movement be in this scenario 🤔 My money is either a dove or a holly wreath

Mele Kalikimaka!

Thanks to the Montreal Protocol not coming into being ITTL, the ozone layer has depleted significantly, leading to widespread environmental destruction around the globe, leading to political strife and a widespread evacuation of Hawaii (among other tropical areas) in the mid 2010s.

Yet, tours of the grandeur and tropical paradise of Oahu are still available October-April, with proper vetting and clearance by the United States government. Enjoy the (dwindling) wonders of the Aloha State!

ej0nQ7w.png

Previous Posts:
CNN.com Mainpage - September 1, 2021
New York Times front page, September 10, 2021
The Sentinel article, December 18, 2021

View attachment 705958

The end.

Nice idea!
But these borders seem weird to me, with only CP loosing, despite situation on the front at that time (ok, Russia loose), not to mention at that time neutral Italy gaining south Tyrol
Ok, its a little bit ASB, so I am maybe overanalysing... but still...

Mele Kalikimaka!

Thanks to the Montreal Protocol not coming into being ITTL, the ozone layer has depleted significantly, leading to widespread environmental destruction around the globe, leading to political strife and a widespread evacuation of Hawaii (among other tropical areas) in the mid 2010s.

Yet, tours of the grandeur and tropical paradise of Oahu are still available October-April, with proper vetting and clearance by the United States government. Enjoy the (dwindling) wonders of the Aloha State!

ej0nQ7w.png

Previous Posts:
CNN.com Mainpage - September 1, 2021
New York Times front page, September 10, 2021
The Sentinel article, December 18, 2021
With the UV radiation, are there backup plans involving evacuating Earth itself for a LEO space wheel or a Moon/Mars base?

Yes, a generic Axis "victory" map.

Die Zwillingssonnen

dewxwu5-c9d6a849-6c48-4f78-9a7a-889aa26a1ce8.png

"And when I saw the western Sun it was black, for all of its light had been abosbred by the artificial Sun created by man in the east".
The 1940's were a decade of change. As the world continued the spiral of death and destruction the unlucky assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand started in 1914, more and more lives were sacrificed to the gods of war. Europe and Asia were set ablaze when the greedyness of man overcame its ability to mediate conflict.

In Europe, the formerly humiliated Germany rose from the ashes of Versailles to once again attempt to secure continental domination, assisted by an Italy that felt cheated by the west. While diplomacy avoided a war in 1938, 1939 would prove to be a disaster, for the Germans invaded Poland under a false flag pretext, and the alliance of France and Britain finally stood to oppose them. And such oposition was in vain, for the German Hun shattered the French Army, coming from a place no military mand had considered possible, bringing down a great power in barely two months. The British saw their forces in the continent decimated, and forced to fight Germany and its allies in a peripherical war they could not win, but hoped not to lose.

Adolf Hitler then set his eyes on his mortal ideological enemy, the Soviet Union, whose might army had been humilliated by the Finns. Operation Barbarossa was a partial success, driving the USSR all the way to Moscow and falling just short of tearing down the sining red star atop the Kremlin. That was in 1941, the next campaign season Moscow was besieged by gigantic pincers of steel and fire, snapping the delicate web of Soviet transportation and putting half of the USSR's population under Axis control. Now, the Soviet Union could no longer win a war of attrition, and the German offensive of 1943 deprived them of their most valuable asset: the Caucasian oil. Stalin blamed the defeats on his generals, and the purges of the late 30's were revived with increasing intensity. Seeing no way out, the mighty Russian bear bended its knees and signed an arminstice with the soaring German eagle later in 1943.

In the east, the Empire of Japan had launched a massive invasion of the world's most populous country, employing all sorts of tactics banned from the rules of war, ironically putting Sun-Tzu's teachings against the Chinese. But that was not enough for those fighting under a red Sun, and in 1942 they launched an attack south, striking at the Allied bases in Southeast Asia and the Pacific, being cautious not to awake the sleeping giant across the ocean. The promises of Prime Minister Churchill, of victories, turned into defeats, and the Empire lost the Suez Canal in 1943, causing the government itself to turn on its chief, and sign a truce with the Germans.

It was only then when a Japanese pilot, blinded by his duty to the Emperor and the Country, attacked an American vessel, bringing the weight of a continent upon Japan. Despite its initial victories against the formerly isolated giant and its exhausted British pawn, Japan could not produce enough to meet the requirements of a war against almost all of its neighbours. Through 1945 and into 1946 the navies of America and Brittania launched counterattacks, capturing parts of Japan proper after the bloodbath of Okinawa. The Chinese, with Allied equipment, pushed the Japanese back to the sea, where at Shanghai they prepared for a titanic battle while the Americans took Formosa.

And so, on December 21 1946, a second Sun rose over New Mexico. A new weapon, of sheet lethality and destructive power had been invented, matching the power of the Gods of old. As the Sun sets on the Japanese Empire, they will be enlighted by a new Sun, created by mankind, while those telling themselves to work under the Black Sun tear apart the very fabric of humanity with relentless crimes in Europe. The winter of 1946-47 promises to be the coldest one as of yet, for a new type of Cold War has begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.