Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
commission__triple_union_by_ynot1989_deoozhp-fullview.jpg

A commission for the Alternate Historian of a Polish-Lithuanian-Russian Commonwealth.

Another lovely piece of work, my one quibble is that with a 1630s unification Lithuania should be larger: AFAIK there's a fair amount of territory shown as Russian that wasn't conquered OTL from Poland-Lithuania until after 1650.

What is the difference from normal kaiserreich?
Germany's empire in Asia is significantly smaller.
Italy is split into just two countries.
Unified India.
No independent Patagonia.
France still controls its territory in the Americas.
Not sure about the rest.
A few more differences:
  • Somalia is split between what I'm assuming are the precolonial sultanates of Isaaq, Majeerteen, and Hobyo
  • Yemen is separate from Aden (though both are still under Ottoman rule)
  • A few imperial remnants like Dahomey, Madagascar, and Guiana are still owned by National France
  • No Australasian Federation
  • The Qing collapsed rather than being saved by German intervention, so most of their territory from Kaiserreich is instead ruled by the Beiyang Government
  • Mongolia has its OTL borders without the addition of Inner Mongolia and Tuva
  • Japan has its OTL border with Russia on Sakhalin Island and doesn't have influence in the Russian Far East via the Transamur puppet government
Overall this map seems like a well-thought-out reimagining of Kaiserreich's timeline that maintains the broad strokes of the lore while toning down the HOI4 map-painting aspects.

Theme music:

Balkanized America from 1996 in 2022 and the wider world:

Balkanzied America world map.png

In 1996 Matthew White created one of the first alternate history scenarios on the internet with Balkanized America. Splitting the nation among 3 different categories. They were "countries'' that administered themselves as autonomous nations at some point in American history. Shed blood to achieve or maintain their independence, or at least threatened to. Today I created a more modern version with updated stats and unlike Matthew White, I will try to speculate how these nations would interact with the wider world. Note, I will not try to use Matthew White’s map to create exact states so i will try to replicate a similar method of using state level statistics and making an educated guess of which states belong to each country.

Is anyone interested in seeing this timeline in let's say the current politics thread or wherever? To see the specifics of the various new American states.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Nice. Would be interesting to see a more "modern day" map to see how they eventually split up the federal territories.
I am working on that. However, Alta California is basically "virgin territory" compared something like an altered United States where many of the same or very similar divisions would likely happen and where we have historical documentation of alternates that were proposed, like Minnesota's alternate shape.

This first stage was based on the old pre-USA Ranchos and covers like 95% of them. I basically have to assume that the places where people settle in OTL California were done because people went for the "best" locations first where "best" is some combination of accessibility, local resources, climate, etc… and that immigrants to Alta California will settle in roughly the same places and relative amounts as the immigrants to OTL California did. I also need to understand how that might be modified by the fact that Alta California will be treating it's indigenous people in the same way that New Spain and Mexico did (by acknowledging the local indigenous authorities when setting up pueblos and local governments and so on) which is very different from the way the USA treated the peoples and tribes of the Southwest.

The borders I come up with have got to feel "real" to me within those constraints.

Last edited:
Since the rest of the map is very nearly OTL, my immediate thought is, is this an ISOT? Because it doesn't make much sense otherwise.
No it's based on this: http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/misc/balkanus.htm. I just expanded the world to update it to include present conflicts and some speculative alliances in North America of course if such a Balkanization happened. World history would be radically diffrent. So I simply tried to keep modern politics more or less around and just nerf the United States and buffed the European Union.

No it's based on this: http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/misc/balkanus.htm. I just expanded the world to update it to include present conflicts and some speculative alliances in North America of course if such a Balkanization happened. World history would be radically diffrent. So I simply tried to keep modern politics more or less around and just nerf the United States and buffed the European Union.

Misread that, sorry. So it's essentially an intellectual exercise rather than AH?

Untitled27_20220310061326.png

The Second Republic of Dixie

Formed after the collapse of the First Republic during the Tennessee Crisis. Its economy was in ruins and unable to rebuild crumbling infrastructures. In 1994, Leo Kravitz was elected and enacted reforms that brought the economy back to life again. The early 2000s was a stable decade for Dixie, until the election of Victor Yeatman. Yeatman enacted authoritarian policies and pursued closer ties with the Union of America. Protests erupted across the country and brought it into instability. The Dixie Legislative Branch voted to remove him. In 2014, while the country is in a state of crisis, UoA moved and annexed the Island of Cuba and forcibly removed all of Dixie officials.

After the annexation, Dixie went to another reformation, specifically its armed forces. Sought closer relations with the German Empire and made plans to join the EAV. However, things were not still okay. On December 25, 2021, UoA President Walter Peterson declared "liberation of Dixie from Neo-freedomite groups". In the following year, on February 14, Dixie witnessed another bloodshed as the UoA invaded them, sparking the Union-Dixie War.

Credits for AlternateHistory for the flag
The idea of Walter Peterson and his action came from Rvbomally's Yankee Spring
Partly inspired from SuperHornet32 map

Last edited:
Even though the Italian Republic is home to a population of 15 million, making it the 2nd largest of Europe, it still has large pockets of abandoned or scarcely populated land, this due to geographical difficulties, fear of radiation, natural events such as earthquakes and others as well.

The coastal areas have seen an increase in population over the years, with an almost constant growth for many of the cities located in the Adriatic Sea, while on the Tyrrhenian Sea and in particular alongisde the coastline region of Lazio and Campania many cities were abandoned due to the fact of them being too close to radioactive places or being feared by outsiders as dangerous, only a few towns like Gaeta, Civitavecchia, Salerno and Latina saw a moderate increase over the years, due to their still large intact ports. Other inner regions like the Basilicata region saw an increase in population, mainly displaced people from Campania and Apulia, this increased the population of this region to what it was in the 1960s, this phenomenon happen for Calabria as well, who saw an increase in population, making it one of the largest regions in mainland Italy, together with Apulia, who saw too an increase in population in coastal areas.

Meanwhile, Sicily, the largest island by population is home to 4 and a half million inhabitants, the capital of the Italian Republic; Palermo it's located in Sicily and is one of the largest cities of Europe by population, being surpassed only by Belgrade, Stockholm, Berlin, Dublin, Zagreb and others as well.

The populaton of the 10th main cities of Italy are below:
Palermo - 827,301

Bari - 467,125

Catania - 450,210

Messina - 296,152

Reggio - 241,935

Salerno - 235,126

Perugia - 180,121

Ancona - 166,943

Pescara - 152,780

Lecce - 102,146
df1d0zx-13267917-c432-437d-8b48-a4907faaf9ab.png

Last edited:
[75+ LIKES] Africa in 1885 (OTL), by Bob Hope
Africa in 1885 - I got fed up of maps showing Africa as an "empty" land before colonization. Even the ones trying to show Africa as not empty had vast areas of nothing. This is my response.

AFRICA 1885 RECOL resize - Copy2.PNG

Edits in Atlantic coast an Eritrea
2nd edit Atlantic coast and Labels [Thanks @Analytical Engine ]

Last edited:
Africa in 1885 - I got fed up of maps showing Africa as an "empty" land before colonization. Even the ones trying to show Africa as not empty had vast areas of nothing. This is my response.

View attachment 724800
Ironic that you complain about oversimplified Africas, given this is set a mere 5 years after that extremely detailed map of Africa in 1880.

still, this is good shit. any chance for a no river version?

Last edited:
Prefix: mappy thing
As someone from Württemberg (to the point that I'm half an hour by car from Castle Hohenzollern) I don't entirely know how to feel at the idea of Anne Hathaway as my Queen, but she seems to be pretty popular. Also good to see that however this world experienced the 1910s, it's not yet another KR rethread. :)

As someone from Württemberg (to the point that I'm half an hour by car from Castle Hohenzollern) I don't entirely know how to feel at the idea of Anne Hathaway as my Queen, but she seems to be pretty popular. Also good to see that however this world experienced the 1910s, it's not yet another KR rethread. :)
Yeah, I modeled her behavior on William II and how he was said to be close to the people with his penchant of walking his dogs in Stuttgart parks without guards and being addressed as "Mr. King"; with Mia (formally Amalie I of Württemberg)'s American upbringing she'd probably pull off something similar

And yeah, I wanted to avoid comparisons to Kaiserreich when I was thinking of the lore behind this world...

imagine Texans with British accents...
Howdy old chap, I just heard the strangest darn thing one can't unhear.
"realistic" kaiserreich scenario
I like it, but what is Turkey doing?
By the middle of the 14th Century the Tzarkhanate is seen by the rest of Europe as a badly run state with an arrogant polyglot culture, unworthy to call themselves Europeans. But the fact remains that the Tzarkhanate is also the wealthiest and most powerful realm in European history, and its nobility remain surprisingly unified despite (or possibly because of) a chaotic political system.
I'm not as optimistic about the Khanate's survival but I'm prepared to be wrong and I really like the map.
Good to see Poland-Lithuania getting some attention

Fidei Defensor.png

This was intended to be a quick and simple map. In this world, Akhenaten pursued a more aggressive foreign policy and Atenism survived and spread into the Levant, altering the trajectory of Dorisian (Greek) philosophy. Centuries rolled by and a *Roman Empire showed up (blame ancient Italian demography) but never spread into Northern Europe and as a result the Celts survived until the *Germans overran them, and they got so far that centuries after that when the *Slavs migrate they wind up getting as far as the Pyrenees - TTL area that would be our Germany speaks a language whose closest OTL equivalent would probably be Serbo-Croatian. No *Christianity has yet arisen and most of the Mediterranean took in a mixture of Yr'nian (Iranian) religion and Dorisian philosophy in various combinations, some of which verge on monotheism. Dualist societies generally feature large priestly classes which has resulted in an odd culture of chaplains in factories as industrialization takes hold. Vegetarianism is quite popular in much of North Africa, which speaks a Germanic tongue. But this map is mainly concerned with the spread of religion at the other end of Eurasia.

A few other notes: The Thanjavur (*Chola) were able to hold onto their empire for a while, but it ultimately went to pieces. South India and North India are more separated culturally ITTL. Zheng is *China; *Constantinople is controlled by a somewhat long-in-the-tooth Romania; Finnish Scandinavia is a Great Power; Shiong'nu (Xiongnu) hung arround as a general term for the Northeast Asian Steppe; silent films are still popular, but the first massive success of a sounded film will involve the story of a family caught up in Enklavantian *South Africa during the Third Rebellion.

I might write more of a description later.

Status
Not open for further replies.