Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
finally, a map dedicated to cock and balls, been waiting for this one šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„

Okay I feel like a piece of shit because this is something you're obviously passionate about and everyone makes maps like this when they first started (including me!) and so uh let me give you a few pointers:

Get Paint.NET. It's old as shit and so will run on just about anything and will allow you to have pretty text without the artefacts that regular MS Paint will. It'll also give you access to layers which once you get used to are a game changer when it comes to maps.

The geography itself, while viscerally phallic, also is kind of untextured. Like, there are no islands (and that doesn't mean just add one island add a few small ones, see: the Canadian Sheild or Zanzibar). It being connected to a continent is fine but the way it is is kind of abrupt. The line is so smooth it looks artificial which is in opposition to IRL borders which follow mountains or rivers.

Compare with this map of Hoenn
View attachment 816817
There's several small islands, points of interest, varied geography. I'm not saying copy this, but there's some traits that are also kinda useful. Maybe go on Google Maps or Google Earth and look at road maps of places that Pokemon regions are based off of.

Or even compare to the Caspian sea which is the region I think your area looks the most similar to

View attachment 816822

Notice how all of the borders with the ocean are sorta "lumpy" and have a lot of texture.

Otherwise, I dig the names actually. "Vikland" seems like a solid pick for a "Pokemon-ified" Scandinavian area. It's been a while since I played a Pokemon game but iirc they have a lot of other small towns and cities. Maybe you could make a map where you highlighted the major cities that have gyms or the Elite 4 and then others that have smaller settlements. Maybe even add coloured sections that designate what type of pokemon can be caught there?

This five year old what the fuck tutorial I made on WorldA maps is not immediately helpful but many of the concepts I discuss are pretty useful.
Better character development than most recent movies. Love to see the whole ā€œguiding the new mappers rather than roasting themā€ phenomenon.

Okay I feel like a piece of shit because this is something you're obviously passionate about and everyone makes maps like this when they first started (including me!) and so uh let me give you a few pointers:

Get Paint.NET. It's old as shit and so will run on just about anything and will allow you to have pretty text without the artefacts that regular MS Paint will. It'll also give you access to layers which once you get used to are a game changer when it comes to maps.

The geography itself, while viscerally phallic, also is kind of untextured. Like, there are no islands (and that doesn't mean just add one island add a few small ones, see: the Canadian Sheild or Zanzibar). It being connected to a continent is fine but the way it is is kind of abrupt. The line is so smooth it looks artificial which is in opposition to IRL borders which follow mountains or rivers.

Compare with this map of Hoenn
View attachment 816817
There's several small islands, points of interest, varied geography. I'm not saying copy this, but there's some traits that are also kinda useful. Maybe go on Google Maps or Google Earth and look at road maps of places that Pokemon regions are based off of.

Or even compare to the Caspian sea which is the region I think your area looks the most similar to

View attachment 816822

Notice how all of the borders with the ocean are sorta "lumpy" and have a lot of texture.

Otherwise, I dig the names actually. "Vikland" seems like a solid pick for a "Pokemon-ified" Scandinavian area. It's been a while since I played a Pokemon game but iirc they have a lot of other small towns and cities. Maybe you could make a map where you highlighted the major cities that have gyms or the Elite 4 and then others that have smaller settlements. Maybe even add coloured sections that designate what type of pokemon can be caught there?

This five year old what the fuck tutorial I made on WorldA maps is not immediately helpful but many of the concepts I discuss are pretty useful.
Thanks. And don't worry, you're not the only one to have called it that at first. And I really appreciate your advice. Just, uh, one problem.

I am using a school chromebook, and they don't let us open .exe files unless it is using Chrome or Jam (Google Slides?), so all I have is the app that they put on the Chromebook itself: Paintz.app is the actual link to the website of the app, and honestly, it seems simpler to use than Paint.net. I have Paint.net on my computer, and I may remake the region map. Currently, it is just a concept. Definitely needs improving in future versions.

Thanks for your advice, again.

Thanks. And don't worry, you're not the only one to have called it that at first. And I really appreciate your advice. Just, uh, one problem.

I am using a school chromebook, and they don't let us open .exe files unless it is using Chrome or Jam (Google Slides?), so all I have is the app that they put on the Chromebook itself: Paintz.app is the actual link to the website of the app, and honestly, it seems simpler to use than Paint.net. I have Paint.net on my computer, and I may remake the region map. Currently, it is just a concept. Definitely needs improving in future versions.

Thanks for your advice, again.
Ah, I see the issue, it can be extremely difficult to work around the tools you have. In that case, I'd advise that instead of starting with the outline first, start with like the "inland" colour first and then outline it in. That way you have way more freedom to experiment with island sizes, though I am also aware that that does make it somewhat harder. Also added this region of Denmark that could also be more helpful since it seems more similar to the concept you were going for and is local to the region you're basing it off of. My advice would also to be to go into Google Earth (does a chromebook come with google earth? It has to, surely?) and look at how the cities interact with the geography. Like, look at how cities avoid swampy places and seem to congregate on roughly the same land areas.

1678471340435.png

1678472440471.png

(Geographic map for comparison. Notice how a lot of the swampy areas don't have any settlements and Vordingborg has a natural bay [this thing
1678472583521.png
] that allows ships to hide during storms)

The most important part is that you know how to take constructive criticism well, and that's something I know folks who struggle with even at my Real Life Day Jobā„¢ and so that's definitely something to be proud of. You have a bright future ahead of ya, just be sure to keep practicing :)

Last edited:
Also, in case I am being confusing, this is what I mean by my steps:

1.)
1678471834329.png

2.)
1678471933515.png

3.) Revise: get rid of odd looking islets, add more things (I really like that continent peeking over on the far left hand side on your original map! Could that be where the Pokemon League is?) and in general proofread
4.) Outline. If that's not possible (I did see that this program leaves a lot of artefacts, the "official" term for all those weird off-colour bits you'd see if you zoomed way in), go hard on geographical features. Add mountains, rivers, plains, forests. Volcanoes.

You could even copy and save your "outline" map to almost create a "collage", for example, showing geography, cities, kinds of pokemon available in certain areas, and maybe even illustrating the journey the protagonist would make in your region

Ah, I see the issue, it can be extremely difficult to work around the tools you have. In that case, I'd advise that instead of starting with the outline first, start with like the "inland" colour first and then outline it in. That way you have way more freedom to experiment with island sizes, though I am also aware that that does make it somewhat harder. Also added this region of Denmark that could also be more helpful since it seems more similar to the concept you were going for and is local to the region you're basing it off of. My advice would also to be to go into Google Earth (does a chromebook come with google earth? It has to, surely?) and look at how the cities interact with the geography. Like, look at how cities avoid swampy places and seem to congregate on roughly the same land areas.

View attachment 816845

View attachment 816851
(Geographic map for comparison. Notice how a lot of the swampy areas don't have any settlements and Vordingborg has a natural bay [this thing View attachment 816852] that allows ships to hide during storms)

The most important part is that you know how to take constructive criticism well, and that's something I know folks who struggle with even at my Real Life Day Jobā„¢ and so that's definitely something to be proud of. You have a bright future ahead of ya, just be sure to keep practicing :)
Also, in case I am being confusing, this is what I mean by my steps:

1.) View attachment 816848
2.)View attachment 816849
3.) Revise: get rid of odd looking islets, add more things (I really like that continent peeking over on the far left hand side on your original map! Could that be where the Pokemon League is?) and in general proofread
4.) Outline. If that's not possible (I did see that this program leaves a lot of artefacts, the "official" term for all those weird off-colour bits you'd see if you zoomed way in), go hard on geographical features. Add mountains, rivers, plains, forests. Volcanoes.

You could even copy and save your "outline" map to almost create a "collage", for example, showing geography, cities, kinds of pokemon available in certain areas, and maybe even illustrating the journey the protagonist would make in your region
Thanks for this. And whilst we don't have the Google Earth app, we have access to Google Maps. I just feel like you are under a misunderstanding, however.
MolticeWIP (1).png

As I said in the original post, the world (or main) map was incomplete. Vikland is just a portion of the greater region of Moltice. The End-Game stuff is going onto the southern Island, Antrac. (my friend requested Antarctica be on the map, and I decided to include it, but also make it similar to Labrador, but also needed a name, because it is not real life.)
Yeah, it could use some more details. (Don't ask why it looks like Saudi Arabia and Mexico off the coast of Iran) and I know it needs more details. Maybe a few smaller islands off the coasts.

(bruh after looking at Antrac, it literally looks more like your original comment on Vikland...)
I hate Artifacts...

My contribution on the ''Pokemon Map''
Newfoundland !
(I used OTL names for places, if peoples have idea for ''Pokemonized'' name for this alt-Newfoundland, feel free to propose stuff !)

Vinlandmapnamed.jpg

(In my personal canon, the starting location would be Port-aux-Basques and Trepassey being the Elite Four, or equivalent, place)

My contribution on the ''Pokemon Map''
Newfoundland !
(I used OTL names for places, if peoples have idea for ''Pokemonized'' name for this alt-Newfoundland, feel free to propose stuff !)

View attachment 816880

(In my personal canon, the starting location would be Port-aux-Basques and Trepassey being the Elite Four, or equivalent, place)
lmao trying to picture the gym leaders of Pokemon: Newfoundland šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

bblxchpleny81.jpg

The POD is that Napoleon III is more insistent in the application of his "Arab kingdom" project, and the Emir Abdelkader is called back to Algeria to autonomously rule over much of the Algerian hinterland, while the distinction between European and Arab owned territory is entrenched, This works well in his historical base in the west, less so among tribes of the Constantinois... Either way this enables a larger freedom of movement for many affected algerians after the disastrous famine of 1866-1868 (where 15-30% - depending on which historiography you read - of the native algerian population starved), encouraged by the Emir, a number of destitute algerians would try their luck in latin america, where by chance many of the countries were opening themselves to immigration, the first migrants settled in Uruguay and the Dominican republic and soon enough words of their success came back. From the 1870s to the 1930s hundreds of thousands of Algerians would leave their country as even the harshest coffee plantation work in brazil was still an improvement from the miserable life back at home.

With algeria being a third berberophone in the mid 19th century, and with many of the migrants coming from the particularly affected mountainous Constantinois, it's no surprise that many of them brought their Berber language with them. Kabyle, Chenouis and Chaouis quickly mixed among the diaspora to become a more or less common "American Berber". It wouldn't last through generations under the pressure of both the Spanish or Portuguese language of their host country nor the Arabic language of the majority of their coreligionist.

While the American-Algerian community would steadily enrich itself (in some place, like argentina, even becoming better off than the french colonists in algeria) and become more politically aware, it didn't translate into any feeling of linguistic appartenance or preservation for the berber speaking community. Quite the opposite with the development of arab nationalism and the american arabic litterature, particularly in the case of the growing algerian conflict where most of the diaspora found itself united opposition to the "divide and rule" approach of french colonialism (particularly in the algerian east) and its support for collaborating traditional structure within the Tiaret Emirate. This reaction can be shown by how the American branches of the Rahmaniyya tariqa quickly taught exclusively in arabic despite having deep roots in Kabylia.

Map made for the MOTF 254 contest
When the Algerian War for Independence comes right around the corner, there's going to be an unapologetic diaspora base that'll provide the freedom fighters with a lot of support.

View attachment 816632
WIP: A world gone mad, or Wolf-Gang's lucid dreams world

I'll tell you what the pink is (A green Antartica or the really fucked up TL from years ago) I'd love to hear what you think the others are.
The only unrealistic aspect of your map is Madagascar being empty. SHAME ON U!!!!!!!!!!!

Btw, what is going on with that purple circle in N. America?

When the Algerian War for Independence comes right around the corner, there's going to be an unapologetic diaspora base that'll provide the freedom fighters with a lot of support.
I would totally read a short story about a guy from the Berber diaspora raised in New Orleans who joins a volunteer brigade composed of western recruits who then smuggle themselves over the Tunisian border to fight with the ALN (or whatever itā€™s ATL 2020 equivalent is)

Hello !
Inspired by precedent map by @Xlicer about a radical revolutionnary France dividing is territory in square departements, I made a map where america get the same sort
So yes, a frenchified east cost, divided in french republic style departements... It's a bit silly

cartefinaleq.png

This is a Nazi Germany victory map I made that is based on the Nueropa Map and Website, albeit with some differences. The map of the world is in 1983. I may turn this into a full blown timeline in the future if people like my expansion of the above scenario. The below scenario is of course meant to be somewhat dystopian, as all Nazi victory worlds would be of course. I hope that this is all plausible and good adaptation of the above material.

The POD is in 1940 with Lord Halifax becoming Prime Minister instead of Winston Churchill an unsuccessful Dunkirk evacuation, which eventually lead to a negotiated peace between Britain and Germany. Afterwards, the Axis successfully invade Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union. After the fall of Stalingrad, the Soviet remnant makes peace with Germany in 1943, after which Germany invades Sweden and Switzerland. In 1944, after the fall of Sweden and Switzerland, the Greater Germanic Reich achieved hegemony over Europe. In 1945, with German support, Il Duce Benito Mussolini and his loyalists in the MVSN and Italian armed forces successfully overthrew the Italian monarchy and established the Italian Social Republic. In exchange for German Abwehr and SS support in the Rome Coup, Mussolini was forced to hand over some ethnically-German Italian border territory to the Greater German Reich, with the government of the RSI being in a politically unstable position and dealing with numerous monarchist loyalists, and thus in no position to deny German requests. In 1946, the Allies of the US, Britain and China defeat the Empire of Japan, with the USA never having gone to war with Germany. In 1947, Hitler made the European Declaration in the newly rechristened city of Germania, laying the groundwork for the future European Confederation. In 1948, after mass workers demonstrations throughout the country, the Kingdom of Denmark was forcibly abolished by the German occupying forces and replaced with a new Reichsprotekrorate Danemark.

On June 30, 1950, Adolf Hitler died in Germania at the age of 61, and after a brief power struggle in Germania between the NSDAP and the SS, Deputy Fuhrer Rudolf Hess became the next Fuhrer, with Hermann Goering as Deputy Fuhrer. Hess' main accomplishment was the foundation of the European Confederation of the "New Europe" or "Neuropa" a European alliance of German-aligned nations that sought to unify all of Europe under German control. The Treaty of Vienna established the European Confederation on November 1, 1951, with the original signatories and members being the Greater German Reich, the Italian Social Republic, the French State, the Spanish State, the Kingdom of Hungary, the Kingdom of Romania, the Tsardom of Bulgaria, the Independent State of Croatia, the Republic of Finland, the German puppet states of the Slovak Republic, the Serbian Independent National State and the Republic of Brittany and the Italian puppet state of the Hellenic State. The main rival to the EC was the OTO or Oceanic Treaty Organization of the United States, Great Britain and the British Dominions, with the US-supported Russian Far Eastern Republic as an observer member.

The Hess Fuhrership also saw the Polish Rebellion by the Polish Home Army in 1951-1952, with the main rebellions being in the Polish countryside. As a result of the Polish revolt and the Generalgouvernement (Poland) becoming more unstable, Hess decided to re-emphasize German Settlement on the Eastern colonies or RKs of Ostland, Ukraine and Muscovy. During the last phase of the revolt, Hess reluctantly decided to reform the GG along the lines of the Bohemia-Moravia Protectorate, with Hans Frank being kept as Governor but with Władysław Studnicki as State President and Leon Kozłowski as Prime Minister. In spite of this newfound autonomy, the long-term plan from Germania for both Bohemia-Moravia (Czechia) and the Generalgouvernement (Poland) was to increase German settlement, increase Germanization and to eventually annex both regions into the Reich proper. That same year, the Lithuanian Activist Front was allowed to form a heavily supervised Lithuanian self-administration under Kazys Škirpa in RK Ostland, mirroring similar administrations in Latvia, Estonia and Byelorussia in Ostland. Hess would give no autonomy to RK Ukraine, RK Muscovy, or RK Kaucasus, with all three regions being prime targets for Generalplan Ost and German Lebensraum. In 1953, the Netherlands, Flanders and Wallonia became autonomous protectorates of the German Reich, with the Walloons under Chef Leon Degrelle being considered by the Reich as "Latin-speaking Germanics." In 1954, Norway and Sweden were reformed into autonomous Reichsprotekorates, albeit not within the Reich proper. In 1955, in an effort to prevent an SS coup, Hess established the SS Order State of Burgundy, an autonomous region of the Reich to be governed by Reichsfuhrer-SS Himmler and the SS. In 1956, in a tragic turn of events, Fuhrer Hess proclaimed from Germania that Europe was free of Jews, Roma and Sinti, with the surviving Jews, Roma and Sinti having fled the Reich. Most Jews fled to the Principality of Israel within the Kingdom of Jordan and Palestine, the British Commonwealth or the United States, and most Roma and Sinti fled to the the British Commonwealth and the United States. In 1957, after years of running death camps, relying on an economy based on Slavic and Baltic slave labor and spending untold amount of money on eastern colonization efforts, the German economy crashed, leading a large-scale recession all over Europe. In 1958, after the death of Hermann Goering in a plane crash, Hess made Albert Speer the new Deputy Fuhrer.

In 1959, Fuhrer Hess died suddenly of a heart attack in his office in the Volkshalle udner mysterious circumstances, with many speculating he was poisoned on the orders of Reichsfuhrer-SS Himmler. Thus, he was succeeded by Albert Speer his Deputy Fuhrer, with Theodore Oberlander being made the new Deputy Fuhrer. Speer and Oberlander were well-known reformers, and both recognized that the policies of Generalplan Ost were becoming a drain on the German economy. As a result, Speer begun to move away form such policies, as well as the slave labor economy, albeit for pragmatic and not moral reasons, all while still supporting German settlers in the Eastern colonies. In 1960, after years of loyalty from local collaborators, the Ukrainian National Republic and the Autonomous Republic of Moscow were made German puppet states on the orders of Fuhrer Speer, replacing both RK Ukraine and RK Muscovy. However, RK North Russia, largely a prison colony, continued to exist, and the Don-Volga Governorate of RK Ukraine, which saw the majority of German settlement in Eastern Europe was reformed as RK Don-Volga, which also came to include the Tartar and Udmurt regions of Muscovy, with the German colonies of Gotenland (Crimea and southern Ukraine) and Adolfsburg remaining colonies of the German Reich. In 1961, after years of German pressure, Portugal joined the EC. In 1962, RK Kaukasus was formed into the German puppet state of the Kaukaus Federation. In 1963, the Generalbezirks of RK Ostland were made German puppet states, with Ostland being disbanded and the German settled regions of Ostland being incorporated into Estonia and Latvia to increase the influence of the Volksduetsche in both puppet states. In 1964, the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia and the Generalgouvernement were formed into the German puppet states of the Czech State and the Polish National State, with Fuhrer Speer wanted to focus on the continuing Germanization of Prinz-Eugen-Land, the Don-Volga and Gotenland. In 1965, the RPs of Denmark, Norway and Sweden were reformed into the German puppet states of the Danish State, the Union State of Norway and the National Republic of Sweden. In 1966, the Slovene lands annexed from Yugoslavia in 1941 were reformed into Protectorate of Carniola and Styria led by the elderly "President" Vuk Rupnik.

Throughout the late 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s, the Greater Germanic Reich continued to prosper from the economic exploitation of the northern and eastern satellite states. In 1970, RK Don-Volga was disbanded with the German-led Volga Republic, the Republic of Idel-Ural and the Republic of Udmurtia becoming German puppet states. In 1972, the Kaukasian Federation was disbanded with the Don Cossack Host, the Terek Cossack Host, the Republic of Kalmykia, the North-Caucasus State, the Republic of Georgia, the Republic of Armenia and the Republic of Azerbaijan becoming German puppet states. It should be noted that in the Eastern German puppet states, there exist many privileges for the German settlers and Volksduetsche in these nations, such as special seats for ethnic-Germans and Reich representatives in the parliaments of all nations. As for the Volksduetsche in the German allies of Hungary, Romania, Croatia and Slovakia, most either moved to the territories annexed by the Reich from Poland and France as part of the Heim ins Reich initiative or to the Territory of Prinz-Eugen-Land (Banat), with the remaining ethnic Germans having their own representatives in government and many assimilating into the majority local culture. As for the small German minority in Bulgaria, most moved to the Don-Volga region. The barbed wire fence and makeshift walls and fortification along the border of the rump-Soviet Union and the German Eastern puppet states in the largest fortified border in the world. In the Free World, the USA as leader of the OTO has began rapprochements in the 1960s and 1970s both with the Republic of China and the rump Soviet Union as potential allies against the Fascist threat.

In 1981, Fuhrer Speer died in Germania and was succeeded as Fuhrer by his deputy Theodor Oberlander. Two years later, with Oberlander having maintained the status-quo of the Greater Germanic Reich and "Neuropa", and the Reichsfuhrer-SS Himmler seemingly on his death bed, with the ongoing colonial wars in the Portuguese colonies and the rise of the Israeli independence movement in Jordan-Palestine, it is anyone's guess what will happen next.

1678499164475.png

Status
Not open for further replies.