Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFSNES Empires 1.png

AFSNES - The greatest Empires of Middle East

Hello everybody!
This is my fifth map in my series based of AFSNES, a collaborative alternate history map-game hosted in Civ Fanatics Forum many years ago.

After my maps dedicated to a singular empire, Tartessos or the Arganthine Dominate, the greatest from Western Europe, I decided to start a series of smaller maps dedicated to other Empires from other parts of the world in AFSNES history.
The first, dedicated to the Middle East (or the Fertile Crescent, from Egypt to Mesopotamia), depicts the greatest extent of four states that battled over the course 5 centuries for regional hegemony.

The first and perhaps the greatest is Watchur, a Egypt-based post-Nubian Empire that managed to conquer the whole Mediterranean basin and destroy Tartessos itself, bringing the light to Ashaism further than ever before.
The second is the Paphlagonian Empire, forged by a Alexander-analogue called Lypathoris, the first state that broke the centuries-old stalemate between Karung, Hellas and Paphlagonia in the Eastern Mediterranean.
The third is the First Neo-Akkadians Empire, the greatest of the various Empires that rose and fell in TTL's Mesopotamia, sparked by the birth of the Urrian monotheistic religion, Agade Dag.
The fourth and last one is the Nubian Empire of Harsiotef, the result of Ashaism' first Ankhade (holy war), that sparked the end of the aforementioned Akkadian Empire and after its demise seeded the subsequent Watchurian Empire.

The first map as I said is focused on the Middle East; next in the series I will focus on empires from India and from China.

As I already detailed in my previous maps write-ups, do mind that the scenario depicted is not my creation, and I had a minimal contribution in its creation (I was one of the many players involved); The main “culprit” was the moderator of AFSNES, Das, that coordinated the player efforts into as realistic as possible way. The other players involved in the creation of the four empires will be detailed in the Credits.
Please enjoy my new map! Any feedback is appreciated.

CREDITS
Das – Moderator, curator of the whole scenario
Kal’thzar – Nubia, Ashaism, Watchur and its successor states, Tarekid Amsurate
Insane-Panda – Tartessos
Toltec – Paphlagonia
Thlayli – Parthenian Republic, Greek poleis, Hellenic Empire, Corcyran League
Niklas – Ur and its various empires, Agade Dag
Neverwonagame3 – Karung and Karrism
LightFang- Sardinia
Daftpanzer – Odrysa and Thracians
Altair – Liguria
Israelite9191 – Israel and the Diaspora to the Indian Ocean
Azale – Samarkand
Disenfrancised – The whole Avyaktaraga civilization, Paramantism, Zuubhrabhanu, Bahulatva, Nyayana
Luckymoose – Colchis, Georgian civilizations
The13thRonin – Hessonia, Hessonian Greeks and Delphian Empire
j\_eps – D’mt, Axum, Liths

I tend to disagree, having tried Inkscape, and GIMP, and Paint.net myself. They're overwhelming and finnicky; if you just want to throw together a map to get an idea on paper, you shouldn't need a lesson in graphic design to do it. Suggesting otherwise is bordering on gatekeeping and we shouldn't do that.
You can literally use inkscape just for its bucket tool which lefts less artifacts than MS Paint's. It's not an overwhelming software in my opinion.
That's true, it works as intended. I think what they mean is the author made use of the MS Paint dump bucket tool on a basemap with artifacts and feathering... the results of which you are probably familiar with.

I will add that I think inkscape is a great recommendation, as there are lots of SVG maps you can find online and play around with.
My point exactly.

You can literally use inkscape just for its bucket tool which lefts less artifacts than MS Paint's. It's not an overwhelming software in my opinion.
If you want to do that, then you can just use PaintZ's bucket tool. It leaves no artifacts (what exactly do you mean by artifact, like, a changed pixel color)

I hope this is not taken as me trying to continue this argument or discussion, but I have two comments I must add;
[...]
The next step would be GIMP. GIMP is in many ways similar to Paint.NET, it has layers and the magic wand, of course, but it also has a few more options when working with layers. It allows to create layer groups and has a great text editing option, as well as warping tools when you want to do quick reprojecting.
[...]
Firstly, as someone who has used all four programs you have mentioned, GIMP is by far the least useful one, It's very unintuitive (As you have mentioned), PDN fills all of its gaps, and overall, you pretty much have no reason to switch over. The only "advantage" that GIMP has, is the "Unified Transform Tool" which you will bash your head in the wall seventy times for you to even begin to understand how it works. Not at all worth the hassle.
[...]
If you wanna try Inkscape, go ahead, but if you have trouble with Paint.NET, Inkscape is going to be overwhelming. Do look up tutorials though, there are a few good tutorials online. However, as a beginner, I don't think it's a great idea unless you wanna get somewhat frustrated and take a long time to finish a map.
Secondly, Inkscape is not hard at all, I learned most of the program by myself in a few hours just by massing with the program, and also don't spend much time going over tutorials, I tried doing this, and I only end up feeling lost. If you really need some tutorials, much like coding, try looking for specific stuff you want to know.

I hope this is not taken as me trying to continue this argument or discussion, but I have two comments I must add;

Firstly, as someone who has used all four programs you have mentioned, GIMP is by far the least useful one, It's very unintuitive (As you have mentioned), PDN fills all of its gaps, and overall, you pretty much have no reason to switch over. The only "advantage" that GIMP has, is the "Unified Transform Tool" which you will bash your head in the wall seventy times for you to even begin to understand how it works. Not at all worth the hassle.

Secondly, Inkscape is not hard at all, I learned most of the program by myself in a few hours just by massing with the program, and also don't spend much time going over tutorials, I tried doing this, and I only end up feeling lost. If you really need some tutorials, much like coding, try looking for specific stuff you want to know.
I totally agree, GIMP is insanely weird and unintuitive compared to Inkscape.

This whole little mapping software argument happens all the time, and here is what I say to it.

I use PaintZ, which needs no download (paintz.net), to make my maps.
Simple to use.
I tried going to www.paintz.net, all a got was a redirect to garbage ads:

With all of the QBAM improvements in the past several years, I figured it was time to attempt to update my Colorized Map 1 (CM-1). So, started working on the CM-2 this afternoon. Like the CM-1 before it, it contains EEZs. Unlike CM-1, which used older base maps and gut feelings, the CM-2 will use math to construct the EEZ boundaries. First thing I noticed is that they seem less full than on other maps. I've checked and rechecked my math, and my conclusion is that it's probably the QBAM just being a weird projection. Regardless, I am happy with how it's turning out. Way better than those blasted island boxes, I'll tell you that much! Looking forward to working on this project over the coming days, weeks and (likely) months!

CM-X sample East Pacific.png

DocBen

Banned
Very interesting idea. I love worlds where ordinary technology interacts with magical techniques. In this scenario, would the esoteric abilities have developed recently during the PoD, or are they a full part of human history?
In this scenario, esoteric abilities were always part of human history, and they were indeed key parts of ancient civilizations such as Egypt, China, India, and others. There were a lot of mages, shamans, medicine men, and various occultists in ancient times, who wielded powers that could be considered as "supernatural" by people who didn't know the very logical and quantifiable methods behind the madness.

However starting from the Middle Ages, these esoteric practitioners had been under severe persecution first by the doctrinal monotheistic religions, and then later endured similar persecution, prejudice, and ridicule by secular atheistic materialists. As a result, the various esoteric and occult movements were forced to go underground, living on the edges of society. During the 20th century the entire world was divided between two secular atheistic materialist blocks, the Communist world and the Western world. So it seemed that humanity would take the atheistic technocratic route of development either way. But history took a sideways turn.

The Soviet Union started disintegrating in the 1980s, and by the 1990s fully fell apart. With restrictions on religion and magic lifted, a bunch of various cults and pseudo-religious organizations popped up. Some were merely nationalists and historical reenactors, others were real esoterics who knew real magic. They brought back the ancient Russian pre-Christian pagan religion, filling in the gaps with Hinduism and other Asian religions. The collapse of the Soviet Union began the "domino effect", the collapse of the rest of the Communist world. The "tank man" was over run, and the Tianmen protests spiraled out of control. In China similarly to Russia, a bunch of Taoists, Confucianists, Qigong practitioners, and various shamans and mystics created various cults and mass religious teachings.

Falun Dafa, created by Li Hongzhi, took over China. At around the same time in Russia, the Golden Age, an organization created by Nikolai Levashov, took power. For those of you who are not familiar with Levashov, he is basically Russia's equivalent of Li Hongzhi. Both Li and Levashov then took on the tasks of de-Communization of their respective countries, and revival of their respective ancient cultures, or rather the esoteric interpretations of them. As a result, everyone wears brightly colored industrial made Shen Yun esque costumes, and the embroidered pagan Russian equivalent in their neighbor to the north. Levashov also changed the Russian culture to be more Asian rather than European. Traditional architecture make a comeback, using modern building materials and methods this time, to become even larger, more monumental and elaborate. So at the start of the 21st century both Russia and China emerged as modified versions of their ancient cultures, based on esoteric paganism. They also helped Hindutva come to power in India via combination of military coup and popular revolution.

Whereas previously magical powers or psychic powers were known only to a tiny fraction of the population, Li and Levashov propagated their teachings throughout the general public in their respective countries. They developed their magical abilities further. Their magic is based on Qigong, astral projection, bilocation, telepathy, telekinesis, elemental bending, energy bending, conjuring spirits, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

They used astral projection to visit other planets. A more advanced form of astral projection enables the practitioner to take his physical body with him, thus facilitating a teleportation. Then they learned how to create these magical portals, which enable non psychics to cross through the portal to other planets. No technology is needed, the portal is created in the astral realm, and then the two ends are pushed through into the physical, creating a portal, the frame of the portal is made of wood.

Teleport_gate_from_TPL.png

They found vimanas buried underground in Tibet, the Himalayas, and the Siberian permafrost. These are simple enclosed capsules made of monolithic stone, lined with modified alloys of bronze and cast iron that have special properties. The middle part contains a crystal, which enhances the psychic powers of the operator, enabling him to move the entire "craft" via his mind alone, enabling levitation, and also astral projection and teleportation of the entire "craft" to other planets even. Anyone inside the craft gets a free ride, only the operator has to be a psychic. Once again, it's just a dumb capsule, with a magical crystal which is controlled by the mind and grants you a limited set of powers. No moving parts or otherwise super advanced technological stuff. Thus they were able to create more of the crystals and create more similar "crafts", allowing them to tunnel through the astral realm to other planets, thus leapfrogging over the United Alliance in "space travel", by not actually traveling through the space in between planets.

If anyone is familiar with Turtledove's story "The Road Not Taken", I am using the same idea here.

X3Z2MDA5LmpwZw

In addition, the Traditional Order have worked on their magical powers a lot, so the breakaway civilizations that they founded have powers as in Avatar the Last Airbender, Naruto, or Dragon Ball, that they use for combat, and for other more constructive purposes. And a lot of their technology is based on harnessing this chi energy, to enhance psychic powers or modify them in some ways.

So the Traditional Order have a head start over the United Allies in establishing colonies on other planets. All their colonies are on planets habitable to Earth life however, since they lack the technology to live on non habitable planets. And due to the nature of astral projection, they tend to be scattered all over the galaxy, and sometimes in other galaxies too. Thousands of years into the future, various successor civilizations came to be, which were originally colonies founded by the Traditional Order. They tend to be culturally Asian and religious, even the Russian ones since Russia turned towards Asia away from Europe. In the future, these various breakaway civilizations form their own colonies, while others have forgotten how to travel between the planets and have reverted back to pre-industrial societies. The various civilizations founded by the Traditional Order range from at the utopian level egalitarian Buddhist monk theocracies, to at the dystopian level caste system where overpowered individuals are at the top and slavery for everyone else, and bloody cults run by individuals possesed by actual demons.

The United Alliance meanwhile colonized space using "conventional" technologies. They are a typical science fiction civilization, with advanced spaceships, robots, artificial intelligence, the trope has been dissected to death in "Star Trek" and other mainstream science fiction shows, so I won't go into as much details. The settlements tend to be geographically close together, instead of being scattered all over the galaxy, since they actually have to fly through all the space between the stars. Thousands of years into the future, the breakaway civilizations founded by the United Alliance range from at the utopian level societies like Jacque Fresco's with technology living in harmony with nature, to at the dystopian level barely liveable polluted factory worlds, planets with total social credit system surveilance police states, and transhumanist soulless hive minds.

The Traditional Order and the United Alliance have established two kinds of completely different human civilizations, to the extent that they may as well be aliens in relation to each other. Because the patterns of settlement are different, it will take quite some time before they will find each other again. The scenario that gets created, is that there are multiple "human" civilizations in the galaxy, who are different enough to be aliens. And these different breakaway civilizations are interacting with each other, and sometimes fighting. So the "aliens" are just humans with completely different culture and social organization, and thousands of years of separate development.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm looking for a specific set of maps, and I was wondering if you guys could help. The maps I'm looking for depict a Kievan rus which survived the mongol invasions, resulting in a large HRE-like kievan rus. The maps depict a thirty year's war scenario in this kievan rus. Another notable feature is that there are a bunch of Cossack states on the eastern borders of the kievan rus, who lead the expansion towards siberia.

Hey guys! I'm looking for a specific set of maps, and I was wondering if you guys could help. The maps I'm looking for depict a Kievan rus which survived the mongol invasions, resulting in a large HRE-like kievan rus. The maps depict a thirty year's war scenario in this kievan rus. Another notable feature is that there are a bunch of Cossack states on the eastern borders of the kievan rus, who lead the expansion towards siberia.
It seems to me that this is what you are looking for.

The author of the maps is @Jeremak.

It seems to me that this is what you are looking for.

The author of the maps is @Jeremak.
Thanks a lot! That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Excellent work @Jeremak !

Nice ideas. My one nitpick is that the Sudan/south Sudan border would probably be different. the OTL border was decided based on the frontlines when the war ended, as well as demarcation of effective control via gps positions. If the British were behind it...well...it'd probably be some weird colonial reasoning that decides the border.
In other words, it would probably just be a straight ling running from the CAR to Ethiopia

Status
Not open for further replies.