Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crosses and The Crescent
15th of October, 1916- The Finnish Powderkeg | Two weeks ago, the Government of Independent Finland was proclaimed, and launced an armed struggle against the Russian Grand Duchy government, operating primarily in the countryside. "We are fighting to preserve our way of life," said Pehr Evind Svinhufvud, the acting leader of Independent Finland. "We are protecting our culture and identity against the oppressive Eastern Orthodox government in Moscow". This is a rather ironic turn of events, since at the turn of the 19th century, the Finnish nobles took up arms against Sweden with the help of Russia, leading to the current situation. Already, many are pressuring the Nordic Confederation to respond, since many Nords feel a sense of kinship and duty to the Finns. The Three Kingdoms have made it clear that they will back the Confederation in any case that they are attacked, how debatable that last part may be. Russia and the Triunes have many shared grievances with one another, as the former sees the latter as intrusing on their rightful domains in China and agitating in their western provinces, and the Triunes are having a dispute with them over fishing rights in the Northern Ocean...

8th of October, 1916 - The World Concert | For many years, the world was divided into four camps. The Northern, the Catholic, the Mohammedan, and the Eastern Blocs. However, recent events have seen these consolidate into two opposing alliances. The Northern Bloc have historically been the ones pushing for the transformation of the continent, only to be thwarted by the old powers of Europe, Spain, Austria, and to a lesser extent, Russia. They have been warming up though, to the Turkish Empire. The Caliphate, leader of the Mohammedans, are traditionally the most isolated, but also united. They mostly rely on themselves above any western power, an instinct created after centuries of conflict with the Christians. The Turks' most important goal is to keep their capital Constantinople as far away from any border as much as possible, which makes the recently increasing Catholic and Russian encroachment into their and their subjects' domains particularly threatening. For this, they are increasingly looking to the Triune, who they have the least enmity with, for an ally in case a war breaks out with between the Caliphate and the Russians and Catholics. The two latter, while not particularly amicable to one another, has designs on the territory of the Mohammedans, and have a shared interest in guarding Europe from the disruptive power of the Germans and Northeners...

==============================================================

This is the Crosses and the Crescent. The basic idea of this scenario is "What if the Great War happened between four religions?", and thus those religions are Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity, alongside Islam. I have no set POD for this, besides a less successful liberalism in the late 18th century, likely after the defeat of the American Revolution. Though the world is more relgious and conservative, the technology is roughly at the same level, only with modern tech being more proliferated among non-Europeans.

Last edited:
The State of Hiraya
-----------------------

Ina ng kaganda-gandahan, tunay sa ami'y nagmamahal.

Harinawang kami'y tulungan sa kapayapaan ng aming bayan.

Bathalang Makapangyarihan, tunay sa ami'y nagmamahal.

Harinawang kami po'y tulungan sa kapayapaan ng aming bayan.

Inang Hiraya, tunay sa ami'y nagmamahal.

Harinawang iyo na pong buksan ang bandera, ina ng kapayapaan.

Amang Bathala, tunay sa ami'y nagmamahal.

Harinawang sa ami'y pakamtan ang kapayapaan ng aming bayan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The war has been going on for 15 years and there's still no end in sight. Japan's fall and collapse into civil after the Yasuda Crisis spelled only chaos for Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere. However, no one expected the chaos in Southeast Asia to breed something far worse than Imperial Japan.

Out of all the nations of Southeast Asia, the Philippines is the only one that Japan failed to completely pacify. The North of the country eventually fell to Communist Revolutionaries, while the south stayed loyal to the Commonwealth Troops left behind by the United States. However, unaware to all parties, the trauma of betrayal from their supposed ally and the unrelenting brutality of the Japanese under the 14th Army led desperate filipino to flock to what everyone thought was just another unassuming religious sect at the foot of the Banahaw. What they didn't know was that this sect, founded with the combination of Christian and Pagan beliefs, would eventually garner enough influence to not only have sects all over the country, but also grow powerful enough to destroy both the weakened Japanese, Communists, and Commonwealth Loyalist forces in the country. What's even worse is that their brainwashing campaign and Esoteric Mystic beliefs compelled like-minded factions all over Southeast Asia to their cause, from entire disillusioned IJA battalions who were abandoned by their dying homeland, Malayic Paganists in Borneo, to Chinese Mysticists in Indochina and beyond. Once the entire Philippine Archipelago was pacified, the leader of the cult, a self-proclaimed "God" named "Amang Bathala" declared to the world that "Hiraya" has been established, and that their crusade against Western and Japanese Imperialism is not yet over.

This not only applies to foreign people however, as the cult has launched a major purge of anything "foreign" within the Philippines alone. Churches were burned, Shrines destroyed, entire villages with traditional Spanish houses were demolished. Anyone found to be what they called a mestizo were immediately killed for "impurity". It was a nightmare, according to a refugee that fled his family.

In 1971, all hell broke loose when these groups pledged their allegances to Hiraya and began multiple insurrections against their nations, followed by Hiraya's invasion of the OFN Mandate of Indonesia and New Guinea. With incredible fanaticism, and mass conscription, the Hiraya Cultists overwhelmed entire OFN Battalions in the jungles of Borneo and East Indonesia through sheer numbers and relentless ambushes. One report mentioned how an Australian base in Sulawesi was slaughtered at night when Hiraya Cultists infiltrated the camp and massacred anything and anyone that moved. Hiraya has also began using captured equipment left by Japanese Forces against OFN Forces, as shown with the fall of Bangkok in 1977.

Thankfully, it seems that their steam has ran out. The stalemate in Thailand continues as our forces finally halt major Hirayan advances in Borneo and Sumatra. The Chinese has effectively broken the Cultists and are now moving forward to finally kick them out of the mainland once and for all. OFN Army Command is planning a major offensive now that our forces has returned from their mission in Africa after the collapse of Afrika Schild. By the start of the next decade, the Organization of Free Nations shall begin the final liberation of Southeast Asia from tyranny.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: while I used TNO for some inspiration, this is no way canon within that universe.
Inspired by Exastasia II's video.
redomahar2.png

Not necessarily, the author, also known as Orion, was involved in the Voltaire project maps, so any mistakes still come back to him.. However, having seen his work he does a LOT of background study before committing to map, if you are going to say "mistake" be very sure you are right.

Ratkabratka is not Orion tho
Yeah, that's what I meant. If Orion did their research for the mods, then kudos to them, but Ratkabratka derived their borders from the mods specifically then that also includes the optimizations they made so that the game can run well, primarily in the form of removed tags and provinces like free cities (ex. they removed two or three of the smaller Alsatian Decapolis cities when they expanded the map to its current projection).

Another Altera World Cup map graphic... this one is a group stage results cutout from a newspaper clipping that I made...

View attachment 792541

To read about the lore (and the humour behind this) see a carousel of graphics with the full clipping + a colourul and flag-filled group stage standings graphic in my recent Reddit post. Otherwise, click on the image to go to the full clipping graphic on Deviantart.
When I install myself as the head of a provisional dictatorship in Newfoundland I will be interested in your help in creating a newly codified Standard Newfinese. Full separation from standard English on paper I now realize as a necessity.

The Crosses and The Crescent
15th of October, 1916- The Finnish Powderkeg | Two weeks ago, the Government of Independent Finland was proclaimed, and launced an armed struggle against the Russian Grand Duchy government, operating primarily in the countryside. "We are fighting to preserve our way of life," said Pehr Evind Svinhufvud, the acting leader of Independent Finland. "We are protecting our culture and identity against the oppressive Eastern Orthodox government in Moscow". This is a rather ironic turn of events, since at the turn of the 19th century, the Finnish nobles took up arms against Sweden with the help of Russia, leading to the current situation. Already, many are pressuring the Nordic Confederation to respond, since many Nords feel a sense of kinship and duty to the Finns. The Three Kingdoms have made it clear that they will back the Confederation in any case that they are attacked, how debatable that last part may be. Russia and the Triunes have many shared grievances with one another, as the former sees the latter as intrusing on their rightful domains in China and agitating in their western provinces, and the Triunes are having a dispute with them over fishing rights in the Northern Ocean...

8th of October, 1916 - The World Concert | For many years, the world was divided into four camps. The Northern, the Catholic, the Mohammedan, and the Eastern Blocs. However, recent events have seen these consolidate into two opposing alliances. The Northern Bloc have historically been the ones pushing for the transformation of the continent, only to be thwarted by the old powers of Europe, Spain, Austria, and to a lesser extent, Russia. They have been warming up though, to the Turkish Empire. The Caliphate, leader of the Mohammedans, are traditionally the most isolated, but also united. They mostly rely on themselves above any western power, an instinct created after centuries of conflict with the Christians. The Turks' most important goal is to keep their capital Constantinople as far away from any border as much as possible, which makes the recently increasing Catholic and Russian encroachment into their and their subjects' domains particularly threatening. For this, they are increasingly looking to the Triune, who they have the least enmity with, for an ally in case a war breaks out with between the Caliphate and the Russians and Catholics. The two latter, while not particularly amicable to one another, has designs on the territory of the Mohammedans, and have a shared interest in guarding Europe from the disruptive power of the Germans and Northeners...

==============================================================

This is the Crosses and the Crescent. The basic idea of this scenario is "What if the Great War happened between four religions?", and thus those religions are Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Christianity, alongside Islam. I have no set POD for this, besides a less successful liberalism in the late 18th century, likely after the defeat of the American Revolution. Though the world is more relgious and conservative, the technology is roughly at the same level, only with modern tech being more proliferated among non-Europeans.
Where is New Judea?

Another Altera World Cup map graphic... this one is a group stage results cutout from a newspaper clipping that I made...

View attachment 792541

To read about the lore (and the humour behind this) see a carousel of graphics with the full clipping + a colourul and flag-filled group stage standings graphic in my recent Reddit post. Otherwise, click on the image to go to the full clipping graphic on Deviantart.
I love everything coming out of Atlas Altera. Pure gold.

Give us another, old b'y!

(A revised version of an old map of mine from over two years ago, includes era-accurate coastlines)
Alexander the Greater: What if Alexander didn't die young?
POD: 323 BCE/1 EE (Étos ton Ellínon)
Current Year: 1 CE/324 EE

Alexander the Greater Revised.png

Edit: Added more uninhabited regions​

Last edited:
Any other idea what could have happened till 1949 with a 1925 POD?
Thats some Mega-Uganda :D
Ok, any other idea... maybe different Chaco war outcome? (nut sure how (un)likely is it...)
Also, if there are some problems in Yugoslavia, I think that Hungary and Bulgaria may try to intervene (on the other hand, there is then danger that Romania, Greece and /or Czechoslovakia also move, maybe even France...)

DocBen

Banned
This is a WIP map that I'm working on. I'm very bad working with images.

This is a 21st century alt Cold War scenario, with a POD in the 1980s or 1990s.

These are the "big three" of the Traditional Order: China, India, and Russia, ruled by Falun Dafa, Hindutva, and Golden Age respectively. They are theocratic, esoteric, monarchist, traditionalist, anti-colonial, anti-capitalist, anti-atheist, and anti-liberal countries. They have inferior conventional technology to the United Allies, but are more advanced in psychic powers, astral projection, and various other esoteric stuff.

Their opponents are the United Allies, which are like a three way hybrid between OTL United Nations, Nato, and the European Union, but all around the world. All other countries are either part of the United Allies, or tiny neutrals desperately trying to survive and maintain their independence.

The main ideological battle in this 21st century Cold War is not between communism vs capitalism, but between traditionalism and esoterics vs progressivism and technocracy.

There is a kind of asymmetrical space race in the world today. The United Allies are colonizing the other planets of the Solar System using spacecrafts and technology. While the Traditional Order is colonizing planets in other dimensions using astral projection and magical portals. So these two parallel human civilizations build on diametrically opposed principles are colonizing the galaxy using entirely different methods. Eventually many thousands of years will pass before the colonies founded by the United Allies and the Traditional Order meet again, and they will form the two rival human civilizations of the Milky Way galaxy, having a kind of Cold War in space paralleling the situation in the 21st century. In the far future, the United Allies derived civilizations developed their technology to be like the United Federation of Planets or even the Borg from Star Trek. Whereas the Traditional Order derived civilizations developed their psychic abilities to be like Avatar the Last Airbender or Dragon Ball, or even the Imperium of Mankind from Warhammer 40k.

The borders of all other countries are still WIP.

Feel free to borrow this idea and develop it further.

traditional_map.png

Last edited:
tiny neutrals desperately trying to survive and maintain their independence.
Maybe a third "Non aligned" group that attempts to merge the two sides into a whole unit.

Japan - Shinto Modernism: The "leader" of the faction

Isreal - Some mix of start on defensiveness, old scripture, and the like.

Grand Turky: Autaturkism

Maybe a third "Non aligned" group that attempts to merge the two sides into a whole unit.

Japan - Shinto Modernism: The "leader" of the faction

Isreal - Some mix of start on defensiveness, old scripture, and the like.

Grand Turky: Autaturkism
More countries in this universe:

United Arabia: Islamic-Fundamentalist theocracy led by the House of Saud. (Traditional Order)

Iran: Neo-Zoroastrian Pre-Islamic revival movement under the Pahlavi Shah. (Non Aligned)

Greater Indochina: Buddhist-Nationalist union of Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam. (Non Aligned)

Nusantara: Merger between Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Philippines, East Timor, and Papua New Guinea with Pancasila as the national ideology. (United Allies)

Last edited:
This is a WIP map that I'm working on. I'm very bad working with images.

This is a 21st century alt Cold War scenario, with a POD in the 1980s or 1990s.

These are the "big three" of the Traditional Order: China, India, and Russia, ruled by Falun Dafa, Hindutva, and Golden Age respectively. They are theocratic, esoteric, monarchist, traditionalist, anti-colonial, anti-capitalist, anti-atheist, and anti-liberal countries. They have inferior conventional technology to the United Allies, but are more advanced in psychic powers, astral projection, and various other esoteric stuff.

Their opponents are the United Allies, which are like a three way hybrid between OTL United Nations, Nato, and the European Union, but all around the world. All other countries are either part of the United Allies, or tiny neutrals desperately trying to survive and maintain their independence.

The main ideological battle in this 21st century Cold War is not between communism vs capitalism, but between traditionalism and esoterics vs progressivism and technocracy.

There is a kind of asymmetrical space race in the world today. The United Allies are colonizing the other planets of the Solar System using spacecrafts and technology. While the Traditional Order is colonizing planets in other dimensions using astral projection and magical portals. So these two parallel human civilizations build on diametrically opposed principles are colonizing the galaxy using entirely different methods. Eventually many thousands of years will pass before the colonies founded by the United Allies and the Traditional Order meet again, and they will form the two rival human civilizations of the Milky Way galaxy, having a kind of Cold War in space paralleling the situation in the 21st century. In the far future, the United Allies derived civilizations developed their technology to be like the United Federation of Planets or even the Borg from Star Trek. Whereas the Traditional Order derived civilizations developed their psychic abilities to be like Avatar the Last Airbender or Dragon Ball, or even the Imperium of Mankind from Warhammer 40k.

The borders of all other countries are still WIP.

Feel free to borrow this idea and develop it further.

View attachment 792583
I'm sorry but this map screams MS paint. Have you considered using Inkscape, for instance?

There's nothing wrong with MS Paint at all.
That's true, it works as intended. I think what they mean is the author made use of the MS Paint dump bucket tool on a basemap with artifacts and feathering... the results of which you are probably familiar with.

I will add that I think inkscape is a great recommendation, as there are lots of SVG maps you can find online and play around with.

I will add that I think inkscape is a great recommendation
I tend to disagree, having tried Inkscape, and GIMP, and Paint.net myself. They're overwhelming and finnicky; if you just want to throw together a map to get an idea on paper, you shouldn't need a lesson in graphic design to do it. Suggesting otherwise is bordering on gatekeeping and we shouldn't do that.

I tend to disagree, having tried Inkscape, and GIMP, and Paint.net myself. They're overwhelming and finnicky; if you just want to throw together a map to get an idea on paper, you shouldn't need a lesson in graphic design to do it. Suggesting otherwise is bordering on gatekeeping and we shouldn't do that.
Uhh ok? It's a program. Not everything is learnable in two seconds. Throwing a map together to get ideas on paper and making a final product are two completely different things. It's not a lesson in graphic design, it's putting in the effort to make something complete.

I'm not telling people not to make ms Paint maps, I'm pointing out issues with it and saying inkscape is a good tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.