Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
jl21vornb32a1.png

The Basqirian Republic​

Basqiria became a separate kingdom from West Francia in 910 AD and served as a thorn in the side of the French monarchs for many centuries. The Kingdom underwent many periods of subjugation by the French and English crowns until 1423 when the Counts of Fernacé were elected Kings of Basqiria. The date 7th April 1423 is counted as its national day.

This period until 1792 is counted as Basqirias golden age, as the renaissance was in full swing and wealthy colonies were founded in the Americas. But the country was devastated during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars. The subsequent famine and plague encouraged mass migration to the new world.

Basqiria was reorganized as a republic following World War II and an industrial boom followed as oil deposits were discovered in the Basqirian plains. It's a founding member of NATO and joined the EU in 1973
Hey, neat. I’m a big fan of that inset. The main map alone makes me feel that “the nation isn’t large enough to be self-sustaining,” but with a frame of reference like that my fears are assuaged. I dunno; maybe it’s just American bias or maybe it’s the “moon in the sky vs horizon” effect.

jl21vornb32a1.png

The Basqirian Republic​

Basqiria became a separate kingdom from West Francia in 910 AD and served as a thorn in the side of the French monarchs for many centuries. The Kingdom underwent many periods of subjugation by the French and English crowns until 1423 when the Counts of Fernacé were elected Kings of Basqiria. The date 7th April 1423 is counted as its national day.

This period until 1792 is counted as Basqirias golden age, as the renaissance was in full swing and wealthy colonies were founded in the Americas. But the country was devastated during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars. The subsequent famine and plague encouraged mass migration to the new world.

Basqiria was reorganized as a republic following World War II and an industrial boom followed as oil deposits were discovered in the Basqirian plains. It's a founding member of NATO and joined the EU in 1973
The Pyrenees are suddenly looking less invincible as a land border. I wonder how this will effect groups with Celtic languages or descended from Celts, as Galicia and Brittany now have more areas to invade by. Or would it be less, without those coastlines?

This is a map graphic we made for explaining the lead up to the Atlas Altera World Cup. It shows the qualification groups (by region) and berth allocations used by the IOFCAF.

WorldCup_RoadMap_AH.jpg
Behind it, we've also provided a ranking table of the top 150 teams in the world, with 150 unique flags put together or created from scratch by the fellow travellers or syntopian poputchiks of Atlas Altera (feel free to tag yourself in this thread with the flags you helped make!).

WorldCup_Ranking_AH.jpg

Our first map for this series on the world cup was this one, featuring stadiums. We also made a time-based kick-off map and a transportation-themed map with a complete match schedule.

If you'd like to participate in a match predication challenge for the ATL version of the World Cup, we are going to be doing it on our Discord server. All are welcome to join and participate. You have the chance to get free project merch giveaways. You can also just follow match results on r/atlasaltera.

This is a map graphic we made for explaining the lead up to the Atlas Altera World Cup. It shows the qualification groups (by region) and berth allocations used by the IOFCAF.

View attachment 791708
Behind it, we've also provided a ranking table of the top 150 teams in the world, with 150 unique flags put together or created from scratch by the fellow travellers or syntopian poputchiks of Atlas Altera (feel free to tag yourself in this thread with the flags you helped make!).

View attachment 791709

Our first map for this series on the world cup was this one, featuring stadiums. We also made a time-based kick-off map and a transportation-themed map with a complete match schedule.

If you'd like to participate in a match predication challenge for the ATL version of the World Cup, we are going to be doing it on our Discord server. All are welcome to join and participate. You have the chance to get free project merch giveaways. You can also just follow match results on r/atlasaltera.
*rees in no Lone Star Flag for Texas*

j9qm8lho4k1a1.png

More maps from this timeline here: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/z234wq

What if the South won independence?

Well in the most realistic case, the Confederacy would be a paper tiger—stumbling through the years as a slave-based agrarian state until it got conquered or collapsed, like Romanov Russia without a powerful central government.

But we’re getting ahead of ourselves. How could the South have won?

Well first it’s worth pointing out that the South fought pretty well in the first place. Under the leadership of Robert E Lee, southern armies scored a number of key victories, while the North spent much of the conflict looking for comparable talent. But these victories obfuscated the fundamentals of the war, which were in favor of the North; the Union had greater population, greater industrial capacity, greater infrastructure, not least to mention a stronger navy. Plus, Britain and France were never going to join the Confederacy in war, since they had alternative sources of cotton (under their control) and a lot of trade with the Union too.

This being the case, it’s not realistic for anybody to expect the South to conquer the north. Robert E Lee should’ve looked more toward the Rome’s Fabius than Carthage’s Hannibal. But Lee didn’t need to look back two thousand years for an example, but just a few decades. In the Revolutionary War, the United States played a defensive game. Willing to retreat, Washington wore down the British. That’s how independence was won.

Now, in real life, Lincoln almost lost the 1864 election to a pro-compromise candidate, but key military victories turned to electoral victory. If the Confederacy played a defensive game, the 1864 election would’ve been a lot closer. Now I think 64 is too early for war exhaustion to bring the Union to the negotiating table, but if the war kept going until 1868 with no clear victory, I bet Vice President Andrew Johnson would win on a campaign of a negotiated settlement. By 1870 the Confederacy would be independent. Not with all its original territory, but most of it.

My video here explains the rest of it:

Map of Manisett, a large island off the coast of New England. The southern half of the state of the same name, Manisett is popular with beachgoers and a home to over 300,000 people. Its largest cities, Everly and Nonutauck, were once industrial powerhouses, but much like other New England cities, declined when the industry left. Suburbs in surrounding cities like Fall Woods and Cardiff expand as the middle class move in. Coastal cities like East Stafford and Shoreham don’t hold large populations, but generate income with their beaches and tourist attractions in the summer. The harbors of Grant Bay and Dawford host important wharfs for the area’s fishermen.

Map of Manisett, a large island off the coast of New England. The southern half of the state of the same name, Manisett is popular with beachgoers and a home to over 300,000 people. Its largest cities, Everly and Nonutauck, were once industrial powerhouses, but much like other New England cities, declined when the industry left. Suburbs in surrounding cities like Fall Woods and Cardiff expand as the middle class move in. Coastal cities like East Stafford and Shoreham don’t hold large populations, but generate income with their beaches and tourist attractions in the summer. The harbors of Grant Bay and Dawford host important wharfs for the area’s fishermen.
Never have they made a flag or seal more suitable for being a woman’s brooch or hat pin.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but why do the color charts on the maps show at least three colors, from lightest to darkest, for each country? It's something I've never understood.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but why do the color charts on the maps show at least three colors, from lightest to darkest, for each country? It's something I've never understood.
As far as I'm aware it's directly controlled lands, protectorates/ dependent territories and such, as well as occupied ares (not in that order, as I'm not certai nabout the order right now).

Different subdivisions have different levels of autonomy, it is useful to depict this.

With mostly less autonomous than normal darker (this includes stuff like martia law/military occupation as well) and more autonomous than normal lighter.

(US State vs US Territory) (normal - dark)
(Nation/Colony vs Autonomous Area/Protectorate) (normal - right)
(Stuff like British Dominions or similar things are also sometimes darker shade of normal)

As far as I'm aware it's directly controlled lands, protectorates/ dependent territories and such, as well as occupied ares (not in that order, as I'm not certai nabout the order right now).
I assumed it was something like that but I had always thought that the "main color" was the one in the center, not the one on the far left XD

1669507765941.png

Ok, was bored and did a cute Worlda map about what if German democracy survived.
Map is in 1949, POD is that in 1925 during the treaty of Locarno the Germans were able to strike a deal with Belgium, buying Eupen-Malmedy back without France protesting. Giving the German democracy a boost in popularity.

I looked which nations were promised independence till 1950 before WW2 or duo to reasons unrelated to WW2. Like the Philippines.
Sudan was split between Egypt (now independent) and Uganda, like in a plan of OTL.
Kenya and Southern Rhodesia became "white" dominions. India got it's independence but this time united.
Syria got it's independence in the 40s like promised.
Smaller Israel and bigger Jordan.
Japan tried in 1937 like in OTL but duo to no Nazis, the Europeans focused more on Japan to the point where they could only go home with a recognized Manchuria.
China meanwhile got control of Tibet back and got Mongolia from the Soviets, to secure them as an at least not enemy state.
Finland in this timeline accepted the Soviet offer to give up border regions near Leningrad and Rybachy Peninsula for the return of Repola and Porajärvi.
Italy still goobled up Ethiopia and Albania but otherwise could only help Franco and cause enough instability in Yugoslavia so that Croatia and Slovenia leave.
Germany over the 40s secured itself Memel and the Free City of Danzig back.

Any other idea what could have happened till 1949 with a 1925 POD?

A very detailed OTL map which gives a real impression of the political fragmentation and diversity of fifteenth century Europe. By ratkabatka on deviantart.

dejo6u9-0ba5be2e-c199-4535-ba9d-f364096c2a3b.png
I love this map, especially in that it includes Krivaja (historiographically but not officially called that) whose rulers I'm related to but also because it's a God-tier resource and every time I look at it, I find new microstates I didn't know about that send me on research rabbit holes.
I appreciate that they used EU4 colours
I think it was supposed to be a "100% accurate version of the EUIV start map", to show the complexity that the game couldn't afford to include.

Status
Not open for further replies.