Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where exactly is Normendy here? I can’t seem to find it listed anywhere outside of the mentioned personal union in Cumbria/Wales. I actually also wonder if they would use that Germanic name here if the Brythonic are still going strongish. I think Welsh meant foreigners or outsider, which is why it was also used for Walloons.
Given the colours, I assume it's that purple-ish thing in the Low Countries.

Given the colours, I assume it's that purple-ish thing in the Low Countries.
Maybe so. I think the colors are usually flipped for personal unions, but given the somewhat confusing brown borders over just some of the lands in the area. Though I suppose I haven’t seen many personal unions in this thread lately, so maybe it varies on level of commitment.

View attachment 756350

Papers, Please

Was chatting with a friend about how the war and shit may go on, then Papers Please came up, and so this shizo map idea came to being. The entire lore is pretty basic: in the mid-late 2020s a low-scale nuclear war ensues, affecting mostly Central-Eastern Europe.

The main factions are:

1. Weltropa - led from Welthaupstadt Europa I mean, Brussels, the Reich- Union is gloriously standing against the Eastern Hordes of Untermenschen Russians. Most of the countries in the Balkans were their puppets at one point or another.
  2. Macarthia - The NATO troops needed a place to settle, and as the nukes flew, the American troops carved a polity of their own, with Brussel's tacit consent.
  3. Alba - an alliance of need, to withstand the onslaught of the European Menace, and to not get killed by the angry other neighbours.
  4. Jevasaria - Europe-aligned greater Bosnia former Generalship.
  5. Tirania - RED AND BLACK I DRESS MY CHEST/PROUD TO BE ALBANIAN!
  6. Achaya - Greece, less debt than usual.
  7. Romalia - Somalia, nuff said
  8. Argosia - Romania got buttfucked by the EU and subsequent Weltropan armies. Argosia is the remnant. They lost Constanta to
  9. Olandraik - Netherlands, after their homeland joined Weltropa, the exiled government fled to Constanta, which they pried from Romania a few decades years earlier. They're nearing their well-deserved death.
  10. Eugenia - EUropean GENeralship #14, or EUGEN14. Came to be known as Eugenia. Moldovan warlord, union with Argosia is considered likely.
  11. Zelneskaya - Zelenskyy's little realm, enlarged with land from other countries. Human Rights issues are quietly shoved under the rug to oppose
  12. United State - The war led to the creation of the United State, Medvedev's glorious army with a state. It takes Arstotzka's role. It's a federal entity, like Weltropa. They're uncannily similar, but they vehemently deny it.
  13. Ararat - Armenia.
  14. Bachia - Azeri.
  15. Dhogaria - Neo-Ottoman Empire, most of Southern Europe lays in it's sphere.
Fun stuff. That being said,

Your papers, please.
Least racist Max map

Ahhh good, they kept the Norwegian restaurant. My dad was disappointed when he was in the area for a work trip eight or so years back and found that they had replaced all the Norwegian food with burgers, pizza, and such. Hard to tell where the actual entrance to this park is though, unless it is the vacant Great Outdoors. Ahhh, and this place still has Aunt Jemima’s! Really though, this place might as well be Epcot for the lack of thrill rides.
What do you mean? There’s a good number of thrill rides.

What do you mean? There’s a good number of thrill rides.
Which ones? While I have seen loads of videos about old Disney attractions I am still unfamiliar with quite a few of the rides here and am unsure which ones could as roller coasters or such. Now, if this person decided to throw in what they originally planned for Disney World, were there was a massive Wild West Ride instead of a truncated Pirates of the Caribbean, that would help it stand out. As it is... Anyone know if that land on the top was supposed to be from the Animal Kingdom or is it the old opening day attraction where people went on burro rides and saw Native Americans doing tribal dances?

Which ones? While I have seen loads of videos about old Disney attractions I am still unfamiliar with quite a few of the rides here and am unsure which ones could as roller coasters or such. Now, if this person decided to throw in what they originally planned for Disney World, were there was a massive Wild West Ride instead of a truncated Pirates of the Caribbean, that would help it stand out. As it is... Anyone know if that land on the top was supposed to be from the Animal Kingdom or is it the old opening day attraction where people went on burro rides and saw Native Americans doing tribal dances?
Tower of Terror? Great Movie Ride? Body Wars, which was the EPCOT version of Star Tours, StormRider? The original versions of the Snow White and Mr. Toad were said to be scary, Adventure Thru Inner Space operates like Haunted Mansion, Maelstrom is a indoor boat ride, and it’s not hard to picture what Muppetvision is like. Superstar Limo is a dark ride and said to be the worst Disney ride ever.

Tower of Terror? Great Movie Ride? Body Wars, which was the EPCOT version of Star Tours, StormRider? The original versions of the Snow White and Mr. Toad were said to be scary, Adventure Thru Inner Space operates like Haunted Mansion, Maelstrom is a indoor boat ride, and it’s not hard to picture what Muppetvision is like. Superstar Limo is a dark ride and said to be the worst Disney ride ever.
Indeed, Tower of Terror counts, but some of the others less so. I have seen footage of a lot of them and while many are good in their own way, but I stick by my thoughts that this seems more like Epcot with the theming of so many of the places. If this park was near another Disney park it might be fine, as it would give variety, and there are loads of choices here, but.... Well, It’s a Small World, Pirate of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion are wonderfully themed and designed rides that can match any roller coaster by the sheer magic factor, but unless you are highly interested in science, I don’t see a lot of stuff here gripping onto kids and keep hold into adulthood. No doubt Walt Disney himself would be fairly content with a lot of the things on the map, given they were there on Opening Day or because they were science themEd. Surprised the guy didn’t add Extra Terrorestrial.

ezgif-5-93fe994715.gif

What the hell is Uzia? And how did Russland came to be? Same goes with the green Germanic Russia apparently.
Uzia is a Turkish nation descended from the Oghuz Turks. Latin/Greek sources called these Turks the Uzes, so I gave them that name. Russland comes from the Roslagen, which gave the Finns their name for Sweden and Russia. Green Russia is a non-Norse led Kievan Rus’.

Where exactly is Normendy here? I can’t seem to find it listed anywhere outside of the mentioned personal union in Cumbria/Wales. I actually also wonder if they would use that Germanic name here if the Brythonic are still going strongish. I think Welsh meant foreigners or outsider, which is why it was also used for Walloons. Anyways, a lovely map and I hope you give a lot of thought to what you do with the Baltics. A lot of lucrative trade there, plus so many possibilities for crusader, maritime, ecclesial, republic, etc states.

Normendy is where the OTL Low Countries are. My next map should have some stuff for the Baltic region. BTW the Teutonic Order is located in Wallachia ITL.
I see that the religious key has Hellenism, but I can't seem to find it on the map.
Hellenism is only currently followed by the Maniots in the Peloponnesus.

Last edited:
A83DF093-E810-419E-BF08-6E063F762039.png

Playing around with yet another Central Powers victory scenario - mid transition. Armistice in effect in late 1918, but a formal treaty has yet to be signed. Map shows the state of the former Entente in mid 1919.. Italy’s northeastern provinces are occupied by Habsburg soldiers while the industrial portions of north Italy descend into a general strike. France is facing a similar situation with the republican state losing control over Paris, Rouen, Bordeaux, and Lyon among others. The south littoral of France has the most organized fraction of revolutionary party organizations and they quickly move to consolidate their early gains. Much of the border region with the German Empire has been occupied. Belgium and Luxembourg are entirely occupied. The British Empire has thus far managed to maintain an effective naval blockade and withdraw much of the BEF from the continent. With that being said, the prospect of any sort of victory seems very dim and the sensitive situation in Ireland has exploded into a proper insurgency.

Not meant to be very fleshed out or realistic, more just an exercise in mapping.

EDIT: redid the colors several times

Last edited:
Greetings all! Figured while trying to search for a topic for the next chapter of my timeline (link in signature), I would engage in a quick little side project. Ever since I was a little kid, I've wondered (off and on, with varying degrees of seriousness) what the United States would be like if presidents served for life terms. From a very superficial level, what would the list of presidents be like in such a world? At a young age, that meant me just looking at the death dates of presidents and figuring out which administration those deaths took place in, then making that president the next president. Completely ignorant of butterflies and all that, just a simple lifespan comparison exercise.

However, I figured (just as a thought experiment) I would revive this idea and treat it with the "alternate historical rigor" it deserves. Which is to say not much, since the idea isn't super plausible, but it's a neat idea anyway so I figured I would go with it just to jog my brain a bit.

Anyway, the rules:
Presidents are elected for life, in the same manner as IOTL. Vice presidents are similarly elected, and take over for the president after they die. Once the president dies, new elections are held six months after the fact. However, the vice president (who serves as interim president for those six months) cannot run in this election (to discourage assassination). The new president is sworn in one month after being elected. ASBs intervene to ensure this system survives up to the present day. Also, just to keep the exercise fun and allow us to draw easy comparisons to OTL, ASBs intervene to cast a butterfly net so that everyone born IOTL is born ITTL.

Now, onto the exercise!

The first election, 1788, is rather boring, just consisting of George Washington winning unanimously, so I won't post a map here. You could look at OTL's 1788 electoral map for that. Instead, our exercise will jump to the second election: 1798. Washington, by virtue of serving a little longer than he would have liked, suffers from more ill health and dies a couple years earlier than ITOL, dying on December 16, 1797. John Adams takes over as interim president, and elections are called for June 16, 1798. Adams is ineligible to run, and must content himself with trying to hold together the Federalist coalition while trying to bolster the country's defenses in the face of an increasingly-belligerent France.

Four individuals emerge as the top candidates in the race: Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Pinckney, Aaron Burr, and Thomas Jefferson. Hamilton, initially seen as the top contender, was soon brought down from the exposure of the Reynolds Affair by Thomas Jefferson's allies. He dropped out of the race, unable to beat back the charges of corruption, leaving Pinckney the only serious representative of the Federalist cause. Thomas Jefferson remained popular throughout the South for his opposition to Federalist economic policy and especially among northern anti-Federalists for his pro-France stance. However, this pro-France stance proved a liability in the North which Aaron Burr sought to pounce on. Touting himself as anti-Federalist who was truly neutral in the conflict between Britain and France, Burr hoped to swing the election to the House of Representatives and present himself as a candidate that anti-French Federalists and Jefferson-allied Democratic-Republicans could select as a compromise. Pinckney, for his part, hoped to carry the electorally-rich North, thanks to support from Interim President Adams, as well as his home state of South Carolina, and thereby win the election.

Ultimately Pinckney won out, but it was a close-run affair. Just 8 electoral votes separated a Pinckney victory from an electoral college deadlock. Pinckney was sworn in on July 16, 1798 as the nation's second president (and second president to be a general), along with Vice President Thomas Jefferson. Though bitterly opposed on foreign and general economic policies, the two would both work to try to improve the status of the South within the young Republic. President Pinckney would give a big boost to both Southern and Federalist interests throughout his presidency.

image (1).png

Greetings all! Figured while trying to search for a topic for the next chapter of my timeline (link in signature), I would engage in a quick little side project. Ever since I was a little kid, I've wondered (off and on, with varying degrees of seriousness) what the United States would be like if presidents served for life terms. From a very superficial level, what would the list of presidents be like in such a world? At a young age, that meant me just looking at the death dates of presidents and figuring out which administration those deaths took place in, then making that president the next president. Completely ignorant of butterflies and all that, just a simple lifespan comparison exercise.

However, I figured (just as a thought experiment) I would revive this idea and treat it with the "alternate historical rigor" it deserves. Which is to say not much, since the idea isn't super plausible, but it's a neat idea anyway so I figured I would go with it just to jog my brain a bit.

Anyway, the rules:
Presidents are elected for life, in the same manner as IOTL. Vice presidents are similarly elected, and take over for the president after they die. Once the president dies, new elections are held six months after the fact. However, the vice president (who serves as interim president for those six months) cannot run in this election (to discourage assassination). The new president is sworn in one month after being elected. ASBs intervene to ensure this system survives up to the present day. Also, just to keep the exercise fun and allow us to draw easy comparisons to OTL, ASBs intervene to cast a butterfly net so that everyone born IOTL is born ITTL.

Now, onto the exercise!

The first election, 1788, is rather boring, just consisting of George Washington winning unanimously, so I won't post a map here. You could look at OTL's 1788 electoral map for that. Instead, our exercise will jump to the second election: 1798. Washington, by virtue of serving a little longer than he would have liked, suffers from more ill health and dies a couple years earlier than ITOL, dying on December 16, 1797. John Adams takes over as interim president, and elections are called for June 16, 1798. Adams is ineligible to run, and must content himself with trying to hold together the Federalist coalition while trying to bolster the country's defenses in the face of an increasingly-belligerent France.

Four individuals emerge as the top candidates in the race: Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Pinckney, Aaron Burr, and Thomas Jefferson. Hamilton, initially seen as the top contender, was soon brought down from the exposure of the Reynolds Affair by Thomas Jefferson's allies. He dropped out of the race, unable to beat back the charges of corruption, leaving Pinckney the only serious representative of the Federalist cause. Thomas Jefferson remained popular throughout the South for his opposition to Federalist economic policy and especially among northern anti-Federalists for his pro-France stance. However, this pro-France stance proved a liability in the North which Aaron Burr sought to pounce on. Touting himself as anti-Federalist who was truly neutral in the conflict between Britain and France, Burr hoped to swing the election to the House of Representatives and present himself as a candidate that anti-French Federalists and Jefferson-allied Democratic-Republicans could select as a compromise. Pinckney, for his part, hoped to carry the electorally-rich North, thanks to support from Interim President Adams, as well as his home state of South Carolina, and thereby win the election.

Ultimately Pinckney won out, but it was a close-run affair. Just 8 electoral votes separated a Pinckney victory from an electoral college deadlock. Pinckney was sworn in on July 16, 1798 as the nation's second president (and second president to be a general), along with Vice President Thomas Jefferson. Though bitterly opposed on foreign and general economic policies, the two would both work to try to improve the status of the South within the young Republic. President Pinckney would give a big boost to both Southern and Federalist interests throughout his presidency.

View attachment 756468
Interesting.

Looks like the next contest would be in May 1829 - probably Andrew Jackson vs. John Quincy Adams.

Coincidentally, the contest between Jackson and Adams was ongoing when Thomas Pickney died (November 1828) IOTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.