Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need an opinion on something, which of these maps do you guys like more?

A.
Only Pskov is a vassal, other Russian territories directly administered by Lithuania

1639466439766.png

B.
Pskov, Novgorod, and Tver are vassals of Lithuania

1639466463959.png

Last edited:
BharatAurAmerika.png

Just a bit of silliness I'll probably not finish. The British Empire's two largest non-Brittanic successor states in, ahem, extended form. I wasn't sure what to do about Nigeria.

qIX8lna.png

My first attempt at properly creating a map, based on the premise of a TL I have planned.​

The POD is that Hashemite Syria is recognised by the Allies in return for a series of major concessions, such as: Forfeiting any claims to the Med Coast (divided into British Mandatory Palestine and the French mandates of Greater Lebanon, Alawite State and Hatay), favouring and supporting Franco-British economic interests and allowing the presence of French and British forces on Syrian soil.

Issues such as continued Jewish immigration into Palestine, ethnic tensions, and the presence of an independent Syrian state, prove to be particularly incendiary within the Mandates. Demonstrations (often violent and triggering revolt) in favour of integration into Syria occur throughout the Levant, yet ultimately fail, facing diametric opposition from factions such as the Maronites in Lebanon. The Hashemite government itself grapples with significant instability during the first decade of its existence. In Palestine, the situation becomes increasingly volatile. Despite having officially revoked the claim to Palestine, the Hashemite government embarked on an often-contradictory policy, fostering a relationship with the prominent Pro-Negotiation Nashashibi family along with supplying Arab nationalist efforts in the Mandate, while simultaneously negotiating with Zionist authorities.

Following a particularly brutal insurgency in the Mandate, British authorities partition Palestine in 1936, launching a series of major population transfers. The "Palestinian" regions are transferred to the Hashemites, while "Jewish" regions are granted independence as the State of Israel. Jerusalem and an Arab Christian corridor remain as a buffer zone (akin to the OTL Peel Commission plans), and are later integrated into Syria in the late 50s. French administrators opt to carry out a similar policy of "Partition and Transfer," over the course of two decades Frances cedes Hatay, a significant portion of Greater Lebanon (including Tripoli and it's corresponding region, Bekka Valley, Sidon etc) while evicting and expelling much of the Muslim population from the remnant Mandate.

The Alawite State fell into civil war in 1964, between the primarily rural Alawite Pro-French separatists and urbanite Pro-Syrian nationalists. The conflict essentially stalling both independence and integration efforts.

Nice Map! But this makes me wonder how tides would work on both worlds..
Actually, because the worlds are tidally locked, there isn't really an enormous daily tidal cycle; they aren't rotating through a tidal bulge. On earth, tides basically happen because water is puled toward the moon*, and so it getting pulled in different directions throughout the day induces a back-and forth motion. Here, it's always being pulled in the same direction, so no cycle forms. There is a tidal bulge in the crust, the water, and the atmosphere; I have not done any calculations for this because I don't want to ruin my suspension of disbelief.
*everything else is too, it's just that water is very malleable and so deforms more easily

eXusqTc.png
Quick little exercise in Illustrator after a long hiatus, and the first time in a while doing something that isn't a WorldA or GIS homework. Not much background sketched out for this one, but the general concept is a pope more favorable to the Borgia's is elected instead of Pius II, and Cesere Borgia's conquests go better than OTL and he lives a few decades longer. After carving out a domain in Romagna, Cesere's planned Tuscan campaign is successful, bringing Sienna under Papal sovereignty. During the latter years of the Italian wars, Cesere seizes a bit of campagnia from the Duchy of Naples, and somehow or another Milan is made a loose papal client.By the end of his life, Cesere Borgia's temporal papal rivals that of the Pope himself within the Papal States. However, these domains are held together through sheer force of will and personality. With his demise, it's unlikely that his domain will stick together.

Last edited:
Actually, because the worlds are tidally locked, there isn't really an enormous daily tidal cycle; they aren't rotating through a tidal bulge. On earth, tides basically happen because water is puled toward the moon*, and so it getting pulled in different directions throughout the day induces a back-and forth motion. Here, it's always being pulled in the same direction, so no cycle forms. There is a tidal bulge in the crust, the water, and the atmosphere; I have not done any calculations for this because I don't want to ruin my suspension of disbelief.
*everything else is too, it's just that water is very malleable and so deforms more easily
Of course, there would be a daily tidal cycle due to the solar tides, but (assuming an Earthlike planet and orbit) it would be much smaller than the not-quite-daily tidal cycle we get from our Moon.

Africa in 1895: the great colonization
OTL map of Africa in 1895, trying to be more elaborate than other generic maps for that time.
N8aHr0v.png

Status
Not open for further replies.