Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Italy, now onto Africa (don't ask about the isles on the right)
Strangely, my only complaint is Urup. Meaning the Russian island in the part of the Kuriles not claimed by Japan, not a terrible spelling of Europe. Which might actually work as the spelling for the continent here,

And the Germans react to these atrocities by killing everyone in the former Yugoslavia?

Well, they wouldn't do the killing. The Ustashe and their other "subcontractors" would the dirty work, only to later get direct rule from Berlin and Rome and slowly eroded themselves. Heck, Croatia was already divided into an Italian and a German zone.

There's a reason why the Italians covertly supported Đujić, for example, despite him fighting their own ally. There are documents of German functionaries in Croatia getting incensed over and over again by the absolutely ridiculous level of brutality. Hypocritical of them, of course, but they wanted to keep their own atrocities hush-hush. Croatia was too close to the West, and too brazen. They would have outlived their usefulness the instant the war was won, and would then be slowly directly integrated into Germany.

This is a fantastic post overall but I would like to specifically second that, yes, this, if you, reader of things, are at all interested in spooky, cosmic horror, sci fi, weird, or just good fiction, Toxic Stars is absolutely worth it; I think about that story probably at least twice a month and read it probably at least once a year
A bit late but I am gonna piggyback on this comment just to affirm that Toxic Stars is so, so good; it was one of the biggest inspirations that got me into writing and absolutely deserves to be read.

I swear, this is the last Long Italy post. I've labelled all of the regions tho.

Attachments

• Labeled Long Italy.png
    Labeled Long Italy.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 445
Long Florida reaches it's Apex. Crossing the Atlantic, encroaching upon Spain and Portugal, brushing dangerously close to Ireland and reaching all the way up to border Iceland.
Long Florida V3.png

Oh I wish I wasn't in Dixie, Oh No, Oh God.
dev5ezh-41ece476-f40f-416e-ad7e-0b98a1b0888b.png

The States of the former Confederate States of America as of 1912.

Something for fun, so there's very little lore, so here's the cliffnotes.

- There's no specific POD for Southern victory, just that they won.

- Their dreams of the Golden Circle were... not that successful, they only managed to nab Haiti (even if it took them 3.5 years from an expected timeframe of 6 months) and a chunk of Mexico (though they could only take Baja and a bit of Sonora and had to leave the rest of their conquest to a bunch of filibuster republics, of which only 4 managed to survive to the CSA's collpase)

- Basically the whole vibe of the Confederacy was one-half a collection of Jack Rackham videos and one-half the horrifying reality of industrial slavery.

- They only had one reliable ally in the form of a more slaver dominated Brazil, which fell into revolution around the same timeframe as the CSA.

- After a sluggish 42 years, it would finally collapse after years of rebellion and insurrection, and now all in the sphere of the United States (High on İmmigrants, Georgism, Hard R Republicanism and Revanchism), which seeks to integrate all of its former land back under Chicago... eventually.

And shamelessly filled with many inspirations from other works (that i don't think anyone can guess -all- of them, though you're welcome to try) that i can claim it as original :p

(though some of those flags were a paaain to design)

"More like under new management".
Romania was briefly under an anti-German government after the coup of August 23rd led by King Michael, so technically the Soviets did not, in fact, remove the Fascists from power.

Edit: of course, it's not that likely the coup would have occurred if the Germans had been winning...

They were under a fascist regime, so yeah, "liberated" is an appropriate term, unless you have something to share with the class?
Considering that Romania voluntarily fought on the side of Third Reich, and actively participated in genocide of slavs and jews in the USSR, the term "liberated" is really not entirely correct. For example, in Soviet Union there were medals "For the liberation of Warsaw / Prague / Belgrade", but at the same time there were medals "For the capture of Budapest / Vienna / Berlin". And the hypothetical medal "For the capture of Bucharest" did not see the light of day only because Romania managed to surrender in time.

Last edited:
Oh I wish I wasn't in Dixie, Oh No, Oh God.
dev5ezh-41ece476-f40f-416e-ad7e-0b98a1b0888b.png

The States of the former Confederate States of America as of 1912.

Something for fun, so there's very little lore, so here's the cliffnotes.

- There's no specific POD for Southern victory, just that they won.

- Their dreams of the Golden Circle were... not that successful, they only managed to nab Haiti (even if it took them 3.5 years from an expected timeframe of 6 months) and a chunk of Mexico (though they could only take Baja and a bit of Sonora and had to leave the rest of their conquest to a bunch of filibuster republics, of which only 4 managed to survive to the CSA's collpase)

- Basically the whole vibe of the Confederacy was one-half a collection of Jack Rackham videos and one-half the horrifying reality of industrial slavery.

- They only had one reliable ally in the form of a more slaver dominated Brazil, which fell into revolution around the same timeframe as the CSA.

- After a sluggish 42 years, it would finally collapse after years of rebellion and insurrection, and now all in the sphere of the United States (High on İmmigrants, Georgism, Hard R Republicanism and Revanchism), which seeks to integrate all of its former land back under Chicago... eventually.

And shamelessly filled with many inspirations from other works (that i don't think anyone can guess -all- of them, though you're welcome to try) that i can claim it as original :p

(though some of those flags were a paaain to design)
I just wanna know one thing
How did Argentina get a concession in Florida

"A Portuguese Rhodesia?" The Moçambique Free State and the situation in East Africa, 1979​

credit to u/xpNc on reddit
1ftq8wbumdq71.png

Mod Approved
The Carnation Revolution ended Portugal's involvement in colonial wars, preferring to instead ride the winds of change and finally unshackle her rebelling colonial possessions. In a perfect world, the wars in Mozambique and Angola would have ended without incident, and the Portuguese military would have withdrawn. The problem, however, was that the Portuguese East African Military, their Rhodesian and South African allies, as well as a plethora of Belgian mercenaries didn't seem to care. Raising a new banner over Lourenço Marques, the "Moçambique Free State" continued to fight their pointless war, emboldened by increased Rhodesian involvement after the mysterious death of the leader of ZANLA, Robert Mugabe. Ian Smith, already a pariah the world round, justified his involvement as what he called a "matter of honour" claiming he was "adhering to the Anglo-Portuguese alliance by proxy." No one believed him of course, but Rhodesia's involvement at least attempted justification. South Africa, growing increasingly isolated from the world, simply made a comment about "national security" before sending soldiers to secure Moçambique's newly claimed border.
In a rare moment of pragmatism, the two largest paramilitary organizations opposing Portuguese rule opted to split the territory between themselves, with the Liberation Front of Mozambique (FRELIMO) setting up a communist state in the North, and the Mozambique Revolutionary Committee (COREMO)...also setting up a communist state, somewhere in the south. Calling itself the Republic of Zambesia, COREMO sought to expand its control to the city of Lourenço Marques itself, only to be stopped at the Save River. Claiming a victory (after getting their noses bloodied), they said they were satisfied with the arrangement. The United Nations quickly ruled to recognize the new three-state situation and the Save River Boundary. Alongside this was a motion to denounce South Africa, Rhodesia, and the Moçambique Free State, who really didn't care. After everyone in the UN was finished congratulating themselves for a job well done, the triple-alliance of South Africa, Rhodesia, and the Moçambique Free State rapidly moved to claim all of Portuguese East Africa up to the Zambezi River, and COREMO was wildly unprepared for a three-pronged invasion.
For three years, the Free State has had tentative control over the lion's share of Portugal's former colonies in East Africa. Waves of refugees across both sides of the porous border have left the state with around a 9% European population, making it impossible for it to survive in the long term. No one in the Moçambique military seems especially concerned, however, and working alongside shady corporations and rogue mercenary bands, the "free state" operates far more as a large-scale mining operation with a military than an actual state. The triple axis of rogue nations hardly interact with the rest of the international community, denying UN observers opportunity to report on their various human rights violations, and altogether being rather unpleasant places to live for nearly everyone. Will Moçambique survive? Absolutely not. The numbers simply aren't on their side. The question is, however, how long will they try to delay the inevitable—and when will they be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age?

if there's interest ill post the followup

Status
Not open for further replies.