Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope that small strip of land and the islands of the Europe is worth starting a nuclear war with Europe/US. Given POD is 2011, an invasion of Spain, Italy and Greece (and UK if you add Gibraltar) would invoke a war with NATO.
The Indians, Russians, and Chinese would certainly do it, if not the European. Or Israel of course, who don’t get even a passing mention, with the land being partitioned in two and the Palestinians denied their own state. And to think, part of the problems with the original Arab wars against Israel was the thoughts that the King of Jordan wanted to be King of Syria/the Levant and would keep any seized land for himself. any of you guys think Syria would still be seen as an alternative name for the Levant here, or would the locals prefer them not getting top billing?
Arab_Union_Thing2x.png

On the Shoulders of Giants

"The Arab Spring of 2011 had led to many things: chaos in Syria, the rise of the Islamic State in Iraq, and most notably, the downfall of the Saudi monarchy. While the Saudis were allied with the decadent, imperialist West, their masters did not intervene to help them, their own people taking up arms, leading to the destruction of the United States and the United Kingdom. It seemed as if the Arab Spring was not just Arab, but global.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was a Wahhabist country, following a radical version of Islam, compared to the Shia Iran, one of our Founders. By 2011 the population grew discontent with the expenses of the monarchy, and when the Syrian Civil War began, the 'Arabian Revolutionary Guard' captured and executed the Royal Family, declaring instead the Republic of Arabia. Syria, however, took years to stabilize, but by 2017 it was led by a secular, democratic government backed by Lybia, itself having survived the Western attempt at destabilizing the country.

Egypt and Iran, in comparison, had coup d'etats, in which the more moderate, democratic and secular elements of their governments assumed power. These new governments, of Lybia, Egypt, Iraq, Syria and Iran, had met in Damascus to sign the Treaty of Damascus, which founded the United Islamic Republics.

The URI's expansion was slow but steady. When the United States pulled out of Afghanistan in early 2019, the Taliban overran the country, implementing a form of government resembling that of the early Islamic State. The URI had invaded the country, starting yet another war on Afghan soil, but, compared to the Americans, a much more successful war. Pakistan joined the Republic by referendum, same for the Arabian Peninsula. Turkey opted to join in 2021, as president Erdrogan was standing to lose the future elections. The Central Asian and African countries joined via a mix of referendums, and military invasions. The 2nd Russian Civil War allowed the URI to expand into Russia and Ukraine, while the Chinese Spring allowed them to finally take East Turkestan. India was invaded in 2025, after border skirmishes."

- Part of the Preface of the United Republican Atlas, 2053 Edition, published in Baghdad.

So I wanted to do a big Arabia map for a while. Originally this was to be a caliphate but I then decided to make it a nice federal republic. I would've added cities but I have no idea where cities are on QBAM and I don't wanna risk it. The languages are oversimplified, with Arabic being the lingua franca all across the Union. The governing ideology is Ba'athism, and, despite the name, the whole thing is quite secular, given that a lil bit of thought that was strapped on to that later on was that each person has to carry on their own jihad*, but in order to do so they must live in an equal, free society so as to be able to explore their connection to God/Allah in peace. So, the country is pretty secular and religion is personal. Sure you still have extremists, in former Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan, Catholic extremists in Spain and Mediterranean, and Ukraine separatists in Ukraine.

(* I use jihad here with the sense of inner struggle, as per wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad
How did this destruction of the UK and US here happen? Also, you have Malta blank on your linguistic map. It keep to Maletese? And has it been annexed to Libya or the Magreb? Where most of the Caucus mountains are located, I can’t help but feel that, if you do future remakes or sequels, that you rename Caucasia into Circassia. Given the invasions of Spain, Greece, and France, it seems the sort of thing they would like. Make Ukraine is Tartary? Actually, why do you have two Kazakhstan listed? Are they meant to be a part of the same administrative division, but one half is still being pacified? Kind of surprised Cyprus is not shown as having any Turkish on it in the map. Was it swamped with refugees or settles from the mainland after liquidating the locals like in Crete? Central Africa just a convenient name here, or do you have a story behind it? You also have Lebanon existing on the main map, though I can see on the language one it is gone. RIP, them. Is the language map supposed to be official from thw point of view of the the Union, or is it supposed to be reality? Seems hard to line them up, since if pretending Kurds weren’t independent was truly a part of the terms of of Turkey’s entry then they would be shown on the map was being either Turkish or Iranian speakers, not Arab. And then.... so many things are weird in the vicinity of Tajikistan alone. Well, you said you wanted a big Arab map and you went the Baathist route. It looks nice, even if it is a bit confusing. I like how the shading is used for those areas off the map.

The Indians, Russians, and Chinese would certainly do it, if not the European. Or Israel of course, who don’t get even a passing mention, with the land being partitioned in two and the Palestinians denied their own state. And to think, part of the problems with the original Arab wars against Israel was the thoughts that the King of Jordan wanted to be King of Syria/the Levant and would keep any seized land for himself. any of you guys think Syria would still be seen as an alternative name for the Levant here, or would the locals prefer them not getting top billing?

How did this destruction of the UK and US here happen? Also, you have Malta blank on your linguistic map. It keep to Maletese? And has it been annexed to Libya or the Magreb? Where most of the Caucus mountains are located, I can’t help but feel that, if you do future remakes or sequels, that you rename Caucasia into Circassia. Given the invasions of Spain, Greece, and France, it seems the sort of thing they would like. Make Ukraine is Tartary? Actually, why do you have two Kazakhstan listed? Are they meant to be a part of the same administrative division, but one half is still being pacified? Kind of surprised Cyprus is not shown as having any Turkish on it in the map. Was it swamped with refugees or settles from the mainland after liquidating the locals like in Crete? Central Africa just a convenient name here, or do you have a story behind it? You also have Lebanon existing on the main map, though I can see on the language one it is gone. RIP, them. Is the language map supposed to be official from thw point of view of the the Union, or is it supposed to be reality? Seems hard to line them up, since if pretending Kurds weren’t independent was truly a part of the terms of of Turkey’s entry then they would be shown on the map was being either Turkish or Iranian speakers, not Arab. And then.... so many things are weird in the vicinity of Tajikistan alone. Well, you said you wanted a big Arab map and you went the Baathist route. It looks nice, even if it is a bit confusing. I like how the shading is used for those areas off the map.
man you provide a lot of good criticism. But yeah, I did say I made this cause I had a craving for a big Arab map. I just love the borders. I forgot that area of Caucasia was named Circassia. I may redo this map sometime and make it more realistic.

Continuing the timezone ISOT series, UTC+12:00 and UTC+12:45.

View attachment 674784
UTC+12:00
Regions transported: Russia (Chukotka, Kamchatka), Wake Island, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Kiribati (Gilbert Islands), Tuvalu, Wallis and Futuna, Fiji, New Zealand (exc. Chatham Islands)

As some of the most remote areas of Russia, the Event provided the Chukotka and Kamchatka with the opportunity to expand to the west, south and east and to the explore and potentially exploit the virgin resources they found there. Soon drilling had started in the Sea of Okhotsk with pipelines being laid to the newly constructed ports on southern Sakhalin. The settlement of Sakhalin also opened up the Amur valley and Hokkaido to provide much need food for the northern towns. The real prize for the Russians however was across the Bering Strait - the vast oil fields of Alaska's north slope. In pursuit of the promised black gold, the town of Novaya Ankoridzh was established at the head of the Cook Inlet, from where a road was constructed across Alyaska to the settlement of Abramovichgrad on the Arctic coast.

News of the Russian colonisation of what had been an American state was met by outrage by the remnants of the United States, now consisting of the military bases at Wake Island and Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands, as well as the newly established civilian settlements in the Mariana Islands. In an effort to regain some of their rightfully territory, expeditions were sent to Midway and the main Hawaiian islands. However for all their military hardware, the United States was still reliant on the Marshall Islands for provision of many services and was increasingly struggling to make the lease payments on Kwajalein, as well as being forced to turn to Russia for their energy needs, causing much hurt to American pride.

Not as overly concerned with their international standing, the Pacific island nations were instead enjoying a world scrubbed of much of the damage caused by humans, with the Pacific garbage islands gone, CO2 level restored to natural levels and no acidification of the oceans. While some such as Tuvalu were content to just enjoy not being faced with losing their country, Kiribati declared the Phoenix Islands a protected area while New Zealand designated the restored Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea as wildlife refuges. Nauru however did not befit from the global reset as their island remained a desert of depleted limestone, and with the loss of Australian money were forced to close down the immigration detention facility which employed many Nauruans. Some of these freed detainees did eventually make it to Australia's north-eastern coasts, while their former guards settled in the Santa Cruz Islands north of New Zealand's Vanuatu reserve.

In contrast to Russia's energy focused expansion in the north, New Zealand's expansion was westwards to Australia or "West Island" and focused on putting the lands of the Murray river system under cultivation. New Zealand therefore became the Pacific's breadbasket while Russia was it's energy source. Wary of an over-reliance on Russia, and of repeating the mistakes that had led to the pre-Event climate crisis, the Kiwis invested in renewable solar energy for the West Island farms, covering much of the bush in panels, and wind farms at home, handily providing enough electricity for everyone to watch as the All Blacks thrash the Fijian rugby team!

View attachment 674785
UTC+12:45
Regions transported: New Zealand (Chatham Islands)

Cut off from New Zealand's main islands, and the rest of the world, the Chatham Islanders were forced to turn inwards and look to themselves to survive in the lonely Pacific Ocean. While this proved too difficult for some individuals, overall the islanders proved to be capable at catering to their own needs. Interest also grew in the island's Moriori heritage as people looked to how they had adapted to live on the islands before the arrival of the Māori and Europeans, and thus increasingly the Moriori name of Rēkohu came to be used by the community to refer to their home. Nevertheless, there was still a limit to how much food and other resources could be provided by Rēkohu itself, leading to some younger islanders crossing the ocean to establish farming settlements on South Island. The colonies' population was predominantly seasonal with many workers returning home outside the growing season, leaving only a residual presence on South Island.
GMT+13 next? (And yes, there is such a time zone.)

Or is that going to be part of GMT-11?

GMT+13 next? (And yes, there is such a time zone.)

Or is that going to be part of GMT-11?
I'm going to do UTC+13 and UTC+14 (yes that exists too!) next before jumping over the international date line to UTC-12 (which is uninhabited) and UTC-11.

I thought the order of +12, +12:45, +13, +14, -12, -11, -10 etc would be better than jumping between ahead/behind of GMT (UTC±00:00) with +12, +12:45, -12, +13, -11, +14, -10 etc.

Last edited:

Eparkhos

Banned
I'm going to do UTC+13 and UTC+14 (yes that exists too!) next before jumping over the international date line to UTC-12 (which is uninhabited) and UTC-11.

I thought the order of +12, +12:45, +13, +14, -12, -11, -10 etc would be better than jumping between ahead/behind of GMT (UTC±00:00) with +12, +12:45, -12, +13, -11, +14, -10 etc.
Since UTC-12 is uninhabited, do you mind if I do a spin-off of it?

Attachments

• UTC.png
    UTC.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 261

Eparkhos

Banned
UTC.png

IR-77575 is an oddity in the annals of Hdoga history. Discovered in 49448565618 UP by a surveying ship, it was initially mistaken for being uninhabited and marked as being ready for settlement by the initial surveying expedition. However, when the earmarked colonization effort landed in the northern half of the secondary continent (North America) and undertook a more intensive drone reconnaissance of the planet, they stumbled upon something truly bizarre. Two isolated, barren islands in the center of the largest oceanic region bore signs of civilization. Both islands sported lines of stone ruins and a lone, battered tower backlit against the sea, with scraps of torn and corroded metal scattered upon and around them, all tell-tale traces of an advanced, industrial civilization that had somehow managed to get water out to these isolated pinpricks of land long enough to build these settlements. There were eleven skeletons on the northern island, showing that these precursors had been Hdogoid but much taller than their space-faring successors, and seemed to have had some ritual fascination with intersecting lines. Any other details had been worn away by the salt wind and sea.

Theories about the fate of the mysterious inhabitants of IR-77575 range from destruction by another extraterrestrial race, some sort of nuclear or biological destruction inflicted by themselves or by a passing comet, and even their destruction by armies of the sentient fish that inhabit the seas around the island, and which supposedly then devolved back into the fish that the Hdoga encountered. However, one of these theories--that a type of nanobot was created that consumed all other technology on the planet, sparing these two islands only because of their sheer isolation, before dissolving or making their way deep underground. This possibility was enough of a concern that the Hdoga evacuated all colonists from the planet and declared a quarantine around it, where it has remained to the time of writing.

Something else to think about (in that description) is the undersea cables are going to be brought along and add confusion to the xenothropologists. “Why would these cables be here, as though strung between continents, but simply cut off from here to here?”

The same goes for any other time zone ISOT.

Eparkhos

Banned
Something else to think about (in that description) is the undersea cables are going to be brought along and add confusion to the xenothropologists. “Why would these cables be here, as though strung between continents, but simply cut off from here to here?”

The same goes for any other time zone ISOT.
Now that I think about it, there are definitely going to be remains of American and Japanese warplanes scattered across the seabed, if not outright warships. What exactly they were fighting over--if they were even fighting each other--is going to be a major question

Now that I think about it, there are definitely going to be remains of American and Japanese warplanes scattered across the seabed, if not outright warships. What exactly they were fighting over--if they were even fighting each other--is going to be a major question
Plus there may be the boats or planes traveling through the area ending up on shore somewhere.

Chipewa Counties.png

Fast Facts about Chippewa!
  • Nicknames: The Frozen State, The Iron State
  • Capital: Superior
  • Biggest City: Saint Paul
  • Major Industries: Forestry, Healthcare, Tourism
  • Governor: Julie Blaha (PW)
  • Senators: Jerry Janezich (PW) & Jennifer Shilling (PW)
  • Popular Destinations: Apostle Islands ANP, International Prairie Institute, Isle Royalle ANP
Other Facts:
Chippewa is the farther north, and farthest west state in America!
There are more American National Parks (Seven!) then any other state!
The Nicollet/St. Paul Metro area homes the busiest border in North America!
Former Vice President Rod Grams served as Governor and Senator of Chippewa in the 1990s!
After the 2020 Census Chippewa kept its seven congressional seats!

View attachment 674900
IR-77575 is an oddity in the annals of Hdoga history. Discovered in 49448565618 UP by a surveying ship, it was initially mistaken for being uninhabited and marked as being ready for settlement by the initial surveying expedition. However, when the earmarked colonization effort landed in the northern half of the secondary continent (North America) and undertook a more intensive drone reconnaissance of the planet, they stumbled upon something truly bizarre. Two isolated, barren islands in the center of the largest oceanic region bore signs of civilization. Both islands sported lines of stone ruins and a lone, battered tower backlit against the sea, with scraps of torn and corroded metal scattered upon and around them, all tell-tale traces of an advanced, industrial civilization that had somehow managed to get water out to these isolated pinpricks of land long enough to build these settlements. There were eleven skeletons on the northern island, showing that these precursors had been Hdogoid but much taller than their space-faring successors, and seemed to have had some ritual fascination with intersecting lines. Any other details had been worn away by the salt wind and sea.

Theories about the fate of the mysterious inhabitants of IR-77575 range from destruction by another extraterrestrial race, some sort of nuclear or biological destruction inflicted by themselves or by a passing comet, and even their destruction by armies of the sentient fish that inhabit the seas around the island, and which supposedly then devolved back into the fish that the Hdoga encountered. However, one of these theories--that a type of nanobot was created that consumed all other technology on the planet, sparing these two islands only because of their sheer isolation, before dissolving or making their way deep underground. This possibility was enough of a concern that the Hdoga evacuated all colonists from the planet and declared a quarantine around it, where it has remained to the time of writing.
Which time zone is this? I honestly cannot tell

A larger version of the map in the wikibox in this post

Long story short, the third century crisis leads to an earlier Eastern and Western Roman Empire (with the two established via more successful Gallic and Palmyrene Empires), the West is the one that lasts a long time while the East falls earlier, and Emperor Kavad of the Sasanians (of some note, a supporter of Mazdakism, a kind-of-sort-of premodern communism sorta) ends up winning a war against the Eastern Empire and greatly expanding his realm

View attachment 674339

(I didn't create the map from scratch, I just got it from here and did a hackjob on it to make it fit the alternate scenario

Also I've done some other inkscape/svg stuff with maps from wikipedia, but this was the first time I actually figured out how to use some basic features like node usage, and wow, that's some useful stuff)
If you're curious, the Middle Persian/Parthian name for Syria could be either (A)Sūriyā (in the SKZ) or Šām (in the Šahrestānīhā ī Ērānšahr), the later is probably from the Arabic al-Sham, as the SiE is presumed to be written in the late 8th century, but is thought to be copied from the same named document from the time of Khosrow II or Kavadh II (as it includes territories in Syria, Egypt as far as Cyrenaica as part of Iran) in the same way as Upper Mesopotamia is refered to as Gazirāg from the Arabic al-Jazira which the Arab name for the region.

The SKZ and the SiE does provide some Middle Persian/Parthian names for other regions west of the Euphrates btw, for example Kīlikiyā for Cilicia, Frūgāyā for Phrydia, Kap(p)ōdakiyā for Cappadocia, Āsāyā for Asia/Ionia and Frīgā fro Cyrenaica.

! ASB-Alert !

A small "kinda-doggerland-but-not-too-really" TL.. I thought over, what if the German Bight has an island in the size of a German federal state (Bundesland), instead of just that tiny crumblet named Helgoland? So I wrote this here. I hope you enjoy! :)

This map shows the German federal state of Yokia (Bundesland Joken) and its Landkreise (counties). Names of these are written in bright, while the capitals are marked with the yellow dots. All towns on this map have a population higher than 10.000.
So here we go:

BExkzmg.png

Name of the federal state: Yokia (German: Joken, Yokian: Jouken)
Capital and largest city: Ürleburg
Minister-President: Gabriela Horvath (CRU)
Governing parties: CRU / JVP (March 2019)
Population: 2.598.398 (2019-12-31 census)
Area: 22.954,33 km²
Density: 113 people per km²
Time zone: UTC+1 (CET)/ UTC+2 (CEST)
ISO 3166 code: DE-JO

The German island and federal state (Bundesland) of Yokia (German: Joken, Yokian: Jouken) is located in the German bight between 55°14'39 N in the north, 53°44'18 N in the south, 5°11'31 E in the west and 8°24'25 E in the east. The northern half of the island is upper land and hilly with landscapes prodominantly formed by the ice age, while the southern half is rather flat, with areas not reaching a heigth more than 100 meters. The highest point of the island is the Donnerberg (German for "Thunder mountain") with a heigth of 418 meters above sea level in the island's northwest on the border between the counties (Landkreise) of Ofenburg and Hörtschburg, circa 1/3 of the linear distance from the capital of the latter to the capital of the former. The island-near sea at the southern coast is partly largely extremely shallow, only 1,5 meters deep maximum (marked in the map above in light blue). This bay is called Hüftwasser (German for "Hip water") and is a famous target for tourists, though the tourism has been officially limited, because it's a protected area of the local Hüftwasser-national park. Also in the south of the island, in the counties (Landkreise) of Westerschegen-Hüftwasser, Großschegenfeld and Friesenhain, there are large areas of bogs. Parts of those are protected areas since the 1680s already and are today the core of the Südjokische Schegenlandschaft (Southern Yokian Landscape of Bogs) national park and total reserve. Both national parks operate seperately, but it is in discussion if both national parks should be unified as one. Large areas in the northeast and east of Yokia are covered by forests - also specially protected primeval forests and very close-to-nature forests can be found here, being part of the Oberötnische Wälder (Upper Oetenian Forests) national park located between Jusidmühlen, Nöringen, Jüdenhosen, Prinzenbrunn, Langenschegen and Mochtjusiden. The cores of the national park were private hunting-forests, owned by the duke of Joken-Hägersen, who was the only person who was allowed to unlimitedly enter these forests.
Yokia is the largest German island. With 22.954,33 square kilometers it is a bit larger than Slovenia and a bit smaller than Sardinia.
With a density of 113 people per km², Yokia is the most thinly populated state of western Germany.
Germany's most northern and most western points can be found here.

First indications of human presence go back to the early mesolithicum. A great megalith monument is placed near Hörtschburg. Further a large family tomb have been found there, that included many valuable artefacts like nicely decorated bronze axes, shields and chalices, dated ca. 1450 BC. Later, structures of a (for that time and (north-)western Europe) larger settlement have been found in the same area, dated the same time period. This indicates that this place must have been very important at least for the island, if not also for parts of the near mainland coast. On all over the island there are also single or (more rarely) small-grouped menhirs distributed, some of them are really large (one large one is a famous mark in the middle of the capital Ürleburg and is kind of a regional or even "national" symbol) but most of them are rather of medium or small size. Also smaller megalithic stone circles can be found here and there on the island.
In 1977, archaeologists trenched a horrible mass burial site with heavily damaged and burnt skeletons, approximately in the middle between Königsberg in Joken and Neustadt an der Jegwis, dated ca. 550 BC. There must have been a brutal invasion or another act of violence like revenge. No slightly newer founds were made there, which maybe could have answered questions on this found. That area seems to have been abandoned for the next 300 years until humans had set their vestiges again.
In 1929 near the village of Jegwisborn between Jusidmühlen, Fürstenheim and Mochtjusiden, archaeologists trenched a large burial site with five richly decorated bodies and ample funerary goods included, dated ca. 200 BC. Historians think, it could be a tomb of a king with his family or other very important persons of the then population.
In 100 BC, the island was populated by Indoeuropeans, which cannot be considered as either Germanics or Celts. Scientists believe this population could have been part of the so called Northwest Block, a group of peoples at the southern coast of the North Sea, which's language(s) was neither Celtic nor Germanic, but an own (now extinct) branch of the Indoeuropean langugage family.
A part of the Germanic Ingvaeonic tribe of the Chauci (German: Chauken) began to settle on the island in 100 BC. Within the next 100 to 150 years, they completely conquered the island and intermixed with the local population, which's most important tribe was the Oeteni (German: Ötenen) in the northern half and in the west of the island. This local population left behind a huge influence in the formation of the Yokian language over the next few centuries (Read more about it further below). Until 1 AD, smaller groups of other Germanic tribes as Batavi, Frisii, Jutes and others came to the island and were admitted into the Chauci here.
The Chauci could completely resist larger Roman influence about the island. But larger founds of Roman coins and artefacts have been found in the northeastern part of the island. It is also mentioned by some Roman writers, that "some savage Chauci coming from the big island" participated in Germanic raids into the Roman empire in 314 and 379. They even should "robbed half of the Roman women", but historians deem that unlikely.
The centuries before the Anglo-Saxon-Jute invasion of Britain, Yokia has recieved several smaller waves of Angle, Jute and Frisian settlement. Especially the Jutes left behind some influences in the further developing Yokian language. At the time of the invasion of Britain, a smaller number of Yokians joined the Angles, Saxons and Jutes and settled on different places in Britain, the Yokians left almost no linguistic marks in the developement of the Old English language.
During the Frankish-Saxon Wars 772 to 804, Yokians supported the Saxons. After the battles of Jarehog and Heilöting in September 824, Yokia got christinized after a long, bloody war against the Franks and became part of the Frankish Empire.
Several times in the 10th century, the island had to struggle with Viking raids and invasions, but the whole island could never come under Viking control, but some Norsemen settled in parts of the most northern fifths and in the coast-near northeast of the island. The towns of Nöringen and Isuberge are Norse foundings. Danenkamp is a Danish founding.
In 1019, 1072 and 1200, the Danish tried to conquer the island or to otherwisely integrate Yokia into Denmark, but all such attempts have failed due to the strong resistive volition of the Yokian people. The biggest battle against the Danes on the island was in august 1072 between Bölemund and Oldenkirch.
During the middle ages, many cities and towns of Yokia like Ürleburg, Udejöm, Bölemund, Hörtschburg or Nöringen became part of the Hanseatic league and the Yokians received slight Lower German/Saxon influences in terms of culture and language.
In 1427, during the Dano-Hanseatic War, the Danes tried again to conquer Yokia. The Danes could be stopped 20 kilometers northeast of Ürleburg. Since that battle, the whole operation was a total desaster for Denmark. The Danes had to acquiesce heavy losses in that and the following battles. After the Danes got chased away out of Yokia, Denmark should never place any territorial ambitions on Yokia again.
In 1573, Yokia became officially protestantic. Unlike most German territories, the thirty years war had comparatively harmless effects on Yokia.
In 1686, Nikolaus Gregor Adrian von Bayern - twin brother of Luise Margarete Antonie, married the princess Adalheidt Christiane Luisa, first daughter of duke Ferdinant Uwe Johannes von Joken-Hägersen and his spouse Anna Maria Henrietta von Mecklenburg. Nikolaus devoted hisself with Martin Luther and protestantism and educed sympathies with it. He converted to Lutheranism in spring 1684. He got to know Adalheidt at a stay in Bremen a few months later. Both felt into deep love with each other very quickly. Nikolaus and Adalheidt got eleven children. Since Adalheidt had no male siblings, Nikolaus established a new line of the house of Wittelsbach with his first child and son Friedrich Martin Uwe (*1687) - the protestantic line of Bayern-Joken. That line should endure and rule over Yokia until the end of World War I.
Due to a trade dispute with Hamburg, there was a short war between Yokia and Hamburg in 1703, that Yokia won. Resulting that Yokia got a territorial connection to the mainland by getting Hamburg's exclave of Amt Ritzbüttel for the next 80 years as of the 1704-peace treaty of Cuxhaven.
During the Napoléonic era, Yokia had first a positive attitude on Napoléon under Karl Albrecht Theodor and Yokia became an ally of Napoléonic France. In 1807, Napoléon himself elevated Yokia from a duchy to a kingdom after the island's last state besides Bavaria-Yokia, the principality of Yokia-Jegwisau came to Bavaria-Yokia due to inheritance. The kingdom of Yokia was born. Yokia could maintain its status as an own country during the largest extent of the French Empire.
After the death of Karl Albrecht in 1810, his younger brother Martin Wilhelm Buddo became the king of Yokia, who was more critically on Napoléon but was smart enough not to show that too much, yet. In April 1813, he joined the sixth coalition against France. After the Congress of Vienna, Yokia became part of the German Confederation.
Yokia stayed officially neutral during the Austro-Prussian war, but secretly supported the Austrian-led side. Yokia could maintain its independent status again and became part of the North German Confederation in 1866/67 and of the German Empire in 1871.
The very popular king Kilian Antonius was the last German ruler to abdicate in the wake of the November Revolution of 1918. The dissolution of the kingdom of Yokia took place on December 7th 1918 and went ahead without bloodshed.
After the great war, it was thought over, if Yokia may should be an own country, independent from Germany. In an Entente-supported plebiscite, 93,5% of Yokians voted for a remaining to Germany.
From 1919 to 1923 and from 1925 to 1929, Yokia was governed by SPD-/DDP-led coalitions, from 1923 to 1925 by a DVP-/DNVP-coalition and from 1929 to 1933 by a SPD-accepted minority government led by the DVP. The Nazis never got that much popularity as in other regions of Germany: In the November 1932 German federal election, 26,1% voted for the SPD and in March 1933 barely most Yokians refused to elect the NSDAP - 23,8% voted for SPD. In 1933 president Helmuth-Joachim Stein (DVP) had to make way for Udo Schwartzschmidt, NSDAP imperial lieutenant (German: Reichsstatthalter) of Yokia. Hitler visited Yokia only once and gave a speech at the Festivitätenhalle in Ürleburg in 1940.
At the end of World War II, Yokia received comparatively very little bombardments. 30% of Ürleburg, some suburban municipalities near Ürleburg, 10% of Neustadt auf Joken, 3% of Hörtschburg and the Udejöm-military navy habour got destroyed by British bombing. The rest could keep intact. In late March 1945, British forces reached the Oberbölenhagen concentration camp and affranchised the forced workers.
After World War II, Yokia have been occupied by the British army. On January 13th 1946, the Yokian federal state was founded.
Due to his merits in the resistance struggle against the NS-dictatorship, Olgen Wülfing (SKJ, later CRU) was appointed Yokian Minister-President by the British military government.
The first elections took place in September 1946, which Olgen Wülfing's party Social Conservative Yokians (Sozialkonservative Joken, SKJ) barely didn't win, but they agreed a coalition with the SPD. In August 1948, the SKJ and most other Yokian conservative parties assembled and founded a new party - the CRU - Christian Republican Union (Christlich-Republikanische Union), a sister party of the CDU. (Similar to the CSU in Bavaria, the CRU is a party with a strong regionalist identity and operates only in Yokia, but at the federal level the CRU forms a common faction in the Bundestag with the CDU and CSU. Also like Bavaria's CSU, the CRU developed to a more conservative party than the CDU. The CDU does not operate in Yokia.)
In the years after World War II, there came up some new discussions about Yokia's belonging to Germany. In a new plebiscite, almost 83% of Yokians voted for a remaining to Germany. As a result of 17% voting for independence, the Yokian government enact laws, that the Yokian dialect/language becomes an official language of the federal state (besides German) and that Yokian traditions and culture will be patronised in many ways.
In 1953, oil has been found near Rimstorf southwest of Ürleburg, which soon pushed the population of both Ürleburg and the southern neighbouring municipalities. Another economic boom factor was the beginning car-building industry in Ürleburg and a new steel plant north of the city. But genereally Yokia as a whole saw a upturn during the 50s, 60s and the first half of the 70s. Tourism got more and more important for Yokia.
Since 1962, there is a car- and train ferries connection between Süderstrand in the county of Friesenhain and Norddeich-Mole in Lower Saxony. One ferry needs around 30 to 35 minutes for one way (29 kilometers long).
In 1976, a mammoth project in terms of traffic started: To connect Yokia with the mainland to the east, it was planned and agreed to built a highway- and railway tunnel from Yokia, not far away from its most eastern point, to the Schleswig-Holstein peninsular of Eiderstedt. This tunnel is 18 kilometers long and 17 meters below sea level and thus below the seabed. In January 1984, the tunnel was completed and got opened for traffic in September 1985.
It was planned to built a nuclear power plant near Hörtschburg in the late 70s, but due to fierce protests by the population, the plans were dropped.
The most significant natural event in the state's history was probably the snow desaster at the turn of the year 1978/79, during which many villages could not be supplied for several days after heavy snowfalls and large snow drifts. In mid-Febuary and mid-March 1979 a second and third wave of heavy snowfalls appeared. In late March and early April there were considerable floods of thaw.
In 1983, with Nerthus-Erika Goldbeck, Yokia got a female Minister-President for the first time, after the SPD could win the elections. This also resulted in the first great coalition (SPD and CRU) here.
1986 was the 300th Anniversary of the marriage of Nikolaus Gregor Adrian von Bayern and Adalheidt Christiane Luisa von Joken-Hägersen. The whole year was set as an official Year of Bavarian-Yokian friendship. Many mutual cultural events took place in both Yokia and Bavaria. Lots of movies about the Bavarian-Yokian relationship in history and present and other movies with other Yokian and Bavarian reference were made that year. Double- and triple-weddings of Yokian-Bavarian couples were very famous in both federal states. Also many Yokian and Bavarian towns and municipalities twinned that year.
In November 1993, the state's SPD-/FDP-/Greens-government got harshly criticized by the opposition led by the moderately seperative-/right wing of the CRU for a draft bill, that should allow refugees to get asylum more easily and with much less check. At the latest since it came out that two Greens were talking at party about gradually replacing Germans and Yokians with others and one left winged SPD-minister agreed with that, the scandal was perfect and there was a massive outcry. Not only over Yokia, that scandal busied the whole of Germany. The German press was full with that. Consequently, the FDP left the coalition and thus the government. A few days later, all three burdened politicans receded, the parliament dissolved and new elections were arranged for January 1994. After these elections, the CRU clearly won the elections and formed a coalition with the also strengthened strongly regionalistic to seperatistic JVP (Jokische Volkspartei - "Yokian People's Party") and the right-winged DVU. In May 1996, the DVU left the coalition and the government, but the CRU/JVP-coalition could keep the full legislative period.
In 1999, the CRU and JVP could continue the coalition but only with help and involvement of the FDP.
From 2004 to 2009, the island got ruled by a SPD-led great coalition under Erwin Zank. In 2009, the SPD could barely not continue their rule, since they didn't want to coalise with the Lefts. So they accepted a coalition of the CRU with the FDP and the JVP. In early May 2011 it came out, that some of the SPD-, Greens- and Lefts-members of the Landtag were paying some journalists to devise and publish scandalous stories about CRU- and JVP-members of the Landtag, similar to the Barschel-scandal in Schleswig-Holstein twenty years before. The same time, four Greens-members were suspected to own private pornographic video footage of underaged persons. Over time, more and more and more persisent suspicions arose, that more members of the Greens, but also some of the Lefts and one member of the right wing of the JVP are involved in owning such video footage. The CRU saw their chance and insisted on new elections. At last, new elections were arranged for July 2011, which the CRU clearly won. They formed a coalition with the FDP. Over the next weeks, the scandal were growing more and more and came up to one of the biggest scandals of that form in German history. More politicians from Yokia and from other German states got involved in that scandal. There were major police raids and arrests, after immunities of the burdened members of the Landtag were lifted. The scandal affected all parties in the parliament, but the left parties could never really recover from it, especially in Yokia.
In the legislative period from 2011 to 2016, the JVP counted as an opposition party, but in many ways they were agreeing with the CRU/FPD-opinions and vice versa, so that the JVP had a very successful "opposition" here.
Since 2015, the new party AfD first enjoyed great popularity. After the 2016 elections, which the CRU again won, the CRU decided to form a coalition with the AfD and the JVP, which was a quite scandal in Germany. The coalition could hold until a no-confidence vote in November 2018, that the CRU barely lost. At the new elections in January 2019, there was a standoff situation: Neither the CRU nor the SPD could form a majority and both parties didn't want to form a great coalition. New elections came up again, for March 2019. This time the CRU could take the voters a bit more fancy, while the JVP could get much more votes. The SPD lost a bit and also the AfD lost votes. The CRU could form a coalition with the JVP.

By other Germans, Yokians are often seen as idiosyncratic and are often called as the "Bavarians of the North (Sea)". For northern German standards, Yokians are very conservative. In fact, Yokians and Bavarians see each other somewhat as "brothers in spirit" in many ways. Although having different confessions, Bavarians and Yokians always understand with each other pretty well - more than with other Germans. Bavarians love to go on vacation in Yokia and Yokians love to visit Bavaria, there are Yokian-Bavarian families in both states, many Yokian towns and municipalities are twinned with Bavarian ones, both states share similar policies on federal level, etc.. One Bavarian minister even once said "If you [the Yokians] leave [Germany], then we don't want to stay either!" (German original "Wenn Ihr geht, dann wollen wir auch nit mehr bleiben!")
But Yokia has not only strong relations to Bavaria, there are also connections to Austria, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Hungary mostly. For example Yokia's capital Ürleburg is twinned with Ingolstadt (Bavaria), Krems an der Donau (Austria), Kecskemét (Hungary), Ljubljana (Slovenia) and Plzeň (Czech Rep.), as well as Schwerin (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany), Merthyr Tydfil (Wales, United Kingdom), Liepāja (Latvia), Bismarck (Jefferson state, USA) and Viana do Castelo (Portugal). Furthermore, Yokia as a whole is twinned with the Greek region of Peloponnese and with the Russian oblast of Crimea.

Examples for the strong pre-Germanic influence on Yokian are words for bog (Yokian: Sche(j)gen, Lower Saxon: Moor/Vene, Sater Frisian: Foan, Dutch: Veen), forest (Yokian: Jousid, Lower Saxon: Woold/Bos, North Frisian: Walt, Dutch: Bos), town (Yokian: Heegre/Heejg, Lower Saxon: Stad, West Frisian: Stêd, Dutch: Stad), beer (Yokian: Jould, Lower Saxon: Beer, Sater Frisian: Bjoor, Dutch: Bier), eye (Yokian: Äschöö, North Frisian: Uug, West Frisian: Each, Dutch: Oog) and much more. Also the term for a strong and cold winter storm is "Ulgen Jagümmel", which comes more or less directly from the pre-Germanic tribes here and literally means "cold winter", though "cold winter" in Yokian means "koud Winter". The pre-Germanic influences are so heavy, so that some linguists contest the belonging of Yokian to the Germanic languages, though most linguists still consider Yokian to be a Germanic lanuguage.

Cities, towns and municipalities with a population of at least 10.000:
1. Ürleburg - 270.338
2. Udejöm - 183.490
3. Bölemund - 120.230
4. Hägersen - 110.875
5. Rimstorf - 90.344
6. Hörtschburg - 84.045
7. Neustadt an der Jegwis - 71.224
8. Königsberg in Joken - 59.119
9. Nöringen - 53.571
10. Ofenburg - 43.739
11. Steinwalde - 42.911
12. Jegwisau - 42.305
13. Zultaufurt - 40.284
14. Fürstenheim - 39.417
15. Oldenkirch - 36.627
16. Isuberge - 34.166
17. Langenschegen - 33.412
18. Aleburg - 31.764
19. Borkirchen - 30.446
20. Heimershagen - 28.485
21. Jusidmühlen - 27.878
22. Ulgenhege - 27.510
23. Oberbölenhagen - 25.892
24. Nickelturm - 23.778
25. Heuburg - 20.713
26. Heidkirchen - 20.108
27. Heilöting - 19.861
28. Jüdenhosen - 19.285
29. Bergedorf - 17.829
30. Prinzenbrunn - 16.499
31. Marenheg - 15.861
32. Klostersee - 15.690
33. Nordenberge - 14.637
34. Neuendorf - 14.317
35. Friesenhain - 14.088
36. Schönberge - 13.534
37. Mochtjusiden - 13.430
38. Bölenquell - 12.701
39. Adlershege - 12.338
40. Rohestrand - 11.879
41. Frohekind - 11.538
42. Danenkamp - 10.980
43. Schegmühl - 10.317

Location of Yokia:
7ZpGV1b.png

Last edited:
A small "kinda-doggerland-but-not-too-really" TL.. I thought over, what if the German Bight has an island in the size of a German federal state (Bundesland), instead of just that tiny crumblet named Helgoland? So I wrote this here. I hope you enjoy! :)

Sweet bit of alt-geography, although I have to wonder how having all that extra coastline available is going affect naval action in the north sea. Appreciate all the work that went into the backstory!

Status
Not open for further replies.