Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Why is it a .json file? Can you convert to an image file, .jpg, .png, etc.?
2. Try uploading to a host website like imgur.
It's a .json file because it's intended to be loaded into here. Screenshots won't work, because my "map" consists of about 25 maps.

By the way, what's the best map editor for Mac?
Is GIMP ok?

Last edited:
It's a .json file because it's intended to be loaded into here. Screenshots won't work, because my "map" consists of about 25 maps.

By the way, what's the best map editor for Mac?
Is GIMP ok?
Gimp and Inkscape are generally the two main programs I've seen people use. If you use Gimp, you'd be more than fine.

Can you not access the original file and save it as a .png instead of as a .json?

And yes, GIMP is fine.
What original file? It’s an interactive website that creates output in the browser itself and saves the files as .json in the first place. What he ought to be able to do is get a URL for the whole timeline and be able to share that…

What original file? It’s an interactive website that creates output in the browser itself and saves the files as .json in the first place. What he ought to be able to do is get a URL for the whole timeline and be able to share that…
I see. Well I'm not familiar with that website so I wouldn't know.

Can you not access the original file and save it as a .png instead of as a .json?

And yes, GIMP is fine.
Thanks for the recommendation! Definitely using that.

Yeah, that would be nice. For now the best I can do is find some way to share the .txt file which you can convert back to .json. Maybe if I do it over multiple posts, you'll be able to put them back together...

Or I can post 25 separate screenshots.
Doing that would probably require a new Finished TL thread.

While you wait for me to embark on my 25-plus-screenshot journey -- which would require getting it from another computer -- have a horrible map I made in 5 minutes.

I call it "Huh, those borders are very mediocre."

I just made that up, too.

Screenshot 2021-06-11 105904.png

If you want lore, I'll also make that up.

The opposite now, with vertical countries.

I call it 'Now these borders are bad."

Screenshot 2021-06-11 134657.png

Sorry if the green and black are too similar.

Last edited:
While you wait for me to embark on my 25-plus-screenshot journey -- which would require getting it from another computer -- have a horrible map I made in 5 minutes.

I call it "Huh, those borders are very mediocre."

I just made that up, too.

View attachment 658421

If you want lore, I'll also make that up.
The "Roman Empire, that was ejected out of Italy following the Visogothic wars a century prior. Now they are hell-bent on getting their lands back.

The Visigoths, who have to worry about the Huns.

The Huns, who managed to unite into a coherent sedentary empire; they have kicked out all the germans to...

The Franks. The Frankish empire is a hodgepodge of different germanic cultures forced north, they are currently at war with...

The Danes, who are much more successful than otl, and have even invented a deadly weapon called... Legos

The "Roman Empire, that was ejected out of Italy following the Visogothic wars a century prior. Now they are hell-bent on getting their lands back.

The Visigoths, who have to worry about the Huns.

The Huns, who managed to unite into a coherent sedentary empire; they have kicked out all the germans to...

The Franks. The Frankish empire is a hodgepodge of different germanic cultures forced north, they are currently at war with...

The Danes, who are much more successful than otl, and have even invented a deadly weapon called... Legos
Wow! I hereby invite you to contribute to my map TL once I get it set up -- we make a great team.

Ah, yes. Almost Celtic Empire, Almost Angevins, Almost Lotharinga, Almost East Francia, Almost Swedo-Prussia, Almost Pale, and Almost Third Rome.

I almost remember them from history class.
Also, Almost Ottoman Turks (not pictured).

"When in 1989 the US started pulling out of the majority of territories it had presence in, we knew something bad was going to happen" - Margaret Thatcher

The world is a convulse place. Always has been. But it hadn't been so convulse for some 40 years. The start of the 2nd American Civil War and its spillout has marked an ending point for the Cold War. How will the war end doesn't matter, as for every month the US is unable to excert its dominance over the so-called "Free World", the Soviets gain more and more influence over them. Some have switched sides without the need for a war, such as Finland or Sweden, who accepted a communist takeover in exchange for a promise of independence, instead of being annexed to the USSR as had happened to the baltics 40 years early. Some are now in bloody civil wars, such as Peru or Angola, whose winner will be, without doubt, the insurgent communist rebels.
This is the world in 1990, just 8 months after the start of the War in North America.
What will the future depare for all of us?
DLCQntF.png

Any questions, just feel free to ask.

"When in 1989 the US started pulling out of the majority of territories it had presence in, we knew something bad was going to happen" - Margaret Thatcher

The world is a convulse place. Always has been. But it hadn't been so convulse for some 40 years. The start of the 2nd American Civil War and its spillout has marked an ending point for the Cold War. How will the war end doesn't matter, as for every month the US is unable to excert its dominance over the so-called "Free World", the Soviets gain more and more influence over them. Some have switched sides without the need for a war, such as Finland or Sweden, who accepted a communist takeover in exchange for a promise of independence, instead of being annexed to the USSR as had happened to the baltics 40 years early. Some are now in bloody civil wars, such as Peru or Angola, whose winner will be, without doubt, the insurgent communist rebels.
This is the world in 1990, just 8 months after the start of the War in North America.
What will the future depare for all of us?
DLCQntF.png

Any questions, just feel free to ask.
What is the situation with Turkey, Cyprus, and the claims by the Turks or Soviets on the shores of the far side of the Straits, and only the shores? I am unsure how they would all stack up together. Is the shade of the Shetland Islands a mistake, or is it in a separate subdivision from Scotland here? Did Denmark get the rest of Schleswig ? Is Western Sahara an Algerian satellite and do Morocco or Mauritania have any claim on it? I wouldn’t have thought it odd if there was no claim marks shown, but given claims shown by Mauritania in Mali, I figured to ask. What is the capital of that Arab union? Might have more questions tomorrow, but I must try and get to sleep.

Are these new administrative divisions or rather new countries?
Administrative divisions.
Based on comments from Home Affairs here, you've got two few Papuan provinces.
Too few? Two too few? I don't get the reference.
And is that a plus sized North Kalimantan?
No, that's just normal sized North Kalimantan.
And where is Ibukota Baru?!?!
Eastern Borneo, west of Samarinda.
But overall, great map. Very interesting.
Thanks!

Too few? Two too few? I don't get the reference.
Just how there were plans, and still are, to divide the province of Papua into three provinces; Papua, Central Papua, and South Papua.

Doesn't detract from the map, and for budgetary reasons the plan has never been ratified, but a bit of OTL information.

Status
Not open for further replies.