Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the idea of these maps ( ), which I am sure I first came across on this web-site, I made a similar swapping for Europe and Africa.
(Sorry it's not v good, I did try).
1620232816775.png
1620232838695.png

Isn't there a shitmap post thread around here?

Two Economic Titans - What if Russia wasn't screwed by the 20th Century

Tackled an idea I've had for a long time (with my memory being jogged by the TFS timeline). Basically, what if Russia isn't screwed over by all the catastrophes it went through during the 20th century - WW1, the civil war, WW2 etc. Essentially, Russia continues to industrialise, and with a much larger population than OTL, is able to economically challenge the US by the late 1960s.

On reddit
On DA

UopON3q.jpg

isot thing i made of my home state (minnesota) to a virgin earth
the tan is not united, it is a sea of bordergore and independent farmer towns that i don't want to draw out
the lines in the tan are the big states influence over the farming towns
if you have any questions or want to know what the states are, dont hesitate to ask
View attachment 647550
Did it happen on a Sunday before July 2017? Thousands of residents could be lost tryin to buy beer in Wisconsin.

Based on the idea of these maps ( ), which I am sure I first came across on this web-site, I made a similar swapping for Europe and Africa.
(Sorry it's not v good, I did try).
I don't think it works for Europe-Africa because the shape is so different.

I'd try flip flopping Eurasia instead. With Scandinavia being East Siberia, the British Isles being Japan, Denmark being Korea, and going from there.

Tackled an idea I've had for a long time (with my memory being jogged by the TFS timeline). Basically, what if Russia isn't screwed over by all the catastrophes it went through during the 20th century

Very cool! Although given it's grievously messed up politics and high levels of poverty and illiteracy in 1914, I'm a little uncertain that Russia would be seriously challenging the US as Worlds Top Economy by 1968: I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect half a century of steady and accelerating growth without the occasional sharp setback. A 3-2 numerical advantage isn't the same as OTL China's better than 4-1 advantage, too.

(Not saying this is ASB, but it's definitely in Best-Case scenario territory for a "no world wars" situation).

BTW, what happened with Russian Poland?

Very cool! Although given it's grievously messed up politics and high levels of poverty and illiteracy in 1914, I'm a little uncertain that Russia would be seriously challenging the US as Worlds Top Economy by 1968: I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect half a century of steady and accelerating growth without the occasional sharp setback. A 3-2 numerical advantage isn't the same as OTL China's better than 4-1 advantage, too.

(Not saying this is ASB, but it's definitely in Best-Case scenario territory for a "no world wars" situation).

BTW, what happened with Russian Poland?

Thanks! Yeah this is definitely on the more optimistic end of what is possible. I tried to basically make a Russia wank that stayed within the bounds of plausibility. In general, the country roughly matches Japan's growth as they had done up to that point, is similar to or just slightly ahead of OTL Soviet growth (mostly due to avoiding civil war and world wars), while having a whole lot more people because of the lack of those wars.

As for Poland, I thought given Polish nationalism being a constant problem for Russia they could eventually gain their 'independence' (while remaining under significant Russian influence), but honestly that's not really something I know much about so that may not be right

A Thousand and One Years- An Islam-Dominated World circa 1900

El Cid converts to Islam and conquers Castille, resulting in Castille becoming an Islamic State. Genghis Khan never unifies the Mongols, a later Mongol leader rampages across Europe, burning Rome. The Middle East remains the center of global civilization, while the Americas are colonized by the Berber Empire/Tamazigha (successor to the Almohad Caliphate), the Malian Empire, and Castille. The Mamluks form the basis of the Egyptian nation state, which expands into Africa. Iran is the analogue of the United Kingdom- a maritime nation which becomes the world's leading superpower- after conquering Oman and Zanzibar, it expands heavily into Africa and conquers India. Among Iran's colonies are Australia, Taiwan, Hawaii, Iceland, Scotland, Jamaica, Tierra del Fuego, and Norway. This map portrays the Iranian, Malian, Berber, Seljuk, and Egyptian Empires at their respective heights, prior to decolonization and various wars of independence. The Jurchens retain political independence and linguistic/cultural distinctiveness from China and colonize Alaska and the Pacific Northwest.
islamifiedworldmap2.jpg

Hapsburg

Banned
The year is 501. It has been a century since the Orcs stormed in from the eastern periphery, and overran the Old Empire. With them came plague, which combined with famine, drought, and massacre to wipe out a third of the population of western Ovaicaea. The resulting power vacuum caused the emergence and consolidation of several feudal and tribal kingdoms. Most prominent among them are the dwarven kingdoms of Eldorei, Lilhadorei, and Lithuar. Much of the northern part of the former empire was annexed directly to the Orc Khaganate, seizing the best grazing land for their own use. To the northwest, the colonial sun elves were forced to make compact with the indigenous moon elves for their own defense, forming the Domain of Vilyaafana. The ancient gnomish kingdom of Balendor was reduced to a rump state in the rocky peninsula. In the year 500 on the western coast, several elven city-states and freeholds signed a treaty, uniting to form the Eldunari League, named for the river which bounds it and has long served as the heart of elven civilization.

In the chaotic century following the disappearance of the dragons, war erupted in the empires beyond the Tethar Mountains, which had formerly been tributary to the empire out of fear of superior air power. Gestrin made peace with Tethar to launch a new attack on Kaiser and Aendrilad, though this uneasy alliance would not last long...

501.png

I'm not sure if Kazakhstan would really own it. I think it would just be some Ural state.
I agree. The original map also had California independent (but not Texas), Rio Grande do Sul (neo-Riograndense Republic I guess), Azerbaiyan with Armenia and chunks of Western Iran, a neo-Khanate (or Republic) of Kazan, and Ukraine and Belarus entirely partitioned between Poland, Russia, and Turkey.

Also, didn't you cringe when seeing Asia dominated by China or the African borders? I'm glad you removed sone of the map's wanks.

Last edited:
I agree. The original map also had California independent (but not Texas), Rio Grande do Sul (neo-Riograndense Republic I guess), Azerbaiyan with Armenia and chunks of Western Iran, a neo-Khanate (or Republic) of Kazan, and Ukraine and Belarus entirely partitioned between Poland, Russia, and Turkey.

Also, didn't you cringe when seeing Asia dominated by China or the African borders? I'm glad you removed sone of the map's wanks.
I believe California was stated as an Autonomous zone on the map.

But Yeah I agree with you on the map wanks, it was pretty weird.

Emirate of Egypt - the Great Arab Empire (circa 1910)
This map shows the mighty Emirate of Egypt and its vassal states, with their capitals marked with a star, and the rest of important cities marked by a point.

The vassal states are:
- Rashidi Emirate of Ha'il
- Sultanate of Aussa
- Ethiopian Empire
- Emirate of al-Hasa
- Majerteen Sultanate

WGrTcU9.png

This map shows the mighty Emirate of Egypt and its vassal states,

Good show! Not sure if this counts as a quibble or not, but the western border north of Darfur strikes me as probably De Facto rather than De Jure: I'd expect by 1910 there would be ongoing arguments as to where Libya ends and Egypt begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.