Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're making a serious accusation here, and a fairly tepid map name is your only evidence. I'd suggest that you tone back your accusations unless you have stronger evidence.
I apologize if my criticism came across as a personal attack or an accusation. Still though, it is disappointing to see large chunks of the world erased in alternate history maps.

I apologize if my criticism came across as a personal attack or an accusation. Still though, it is disappointing to see large chunks of the world erased in alternate history maps.

I actually had the same thought about it when I saw it yesterday, and I normally don't jump to that kind of conclusion, so I don't think you're being unreasonable. That said, if you really think there's an issue, the best thing to do would be to report it and let CalBear decide whether it's dodgy or not.

Hungary crisis.png

My first Worlda. Nothing special

View attachment 616054

Hey, so this map is related to my TL Les Années Douces, it's how I envision the US in the 1987. This map doesn't show Native Territories which are sorts of solf-governing regions (like reservations++)
These are all the 55 states of the United States of America (thus sending two Senators each). I'm not entirely sure about Anasazi so if you have other suggestions I'd take them gladly.
The word anasazi is Navajo for "enemy ancestors", I believe used in reference to the Hopi, so I imagine either the Navajo or the Hopi would prefer the state to be named after one or the other.

That having been said, we live in a TL with a state named "Idaho" which as far as we can tell is a literal nonsense word made up by white settlers and attributed to Native Americans, so the US naming a state Anasazi is certainly not unthinkable.

Is there a reason for this or are you just trying to start a fight?

Serious question. Right now I'm heavily leaning toward flame-baiting.

Have till two hours after your next long in to expand on this.
I just had an idea. No fight. I will delete it

This isn't 'alternate geography'. The only edit you have made is arbitrarily removing a chunk of Africa. It is literally African history erasure.
This is a valid critique that I wish I had considered before posting. Thank you. Now I deleted it. When I am well I could explain more what I was thinking if anyone cares
No, these are not the edits the OP has made to the map. The are mistakes that exist due to the map's scale and simplified coastlines. The map is literally called 'smaller-africa-jpg.615916' if you click on it.
you are correct. The other changes were due to what you figured. But I did not intend to erase African history & deleted when it was pointed out it was doing that.

This is a valid critique that I wish I had considered before posting. Thank you. Now I deleted it. When I am well I could explain more what I was thinking if anyone cares

you are correct. The other changes were due to what you figured. But I did not intend to erase African history & deleted when it was pointed out it was doing that.
That's fair, I didn't think you were doing anything deliberately malicious. I hope you get better soon :)

I'm feeling better. I was in the midst of a diabetic crash when I got notified that CalBear had responded.

I am now stable and at the computer and can respond better- due to both not feeling like I can't think and to being much better at touch typing than texting.

I want to thank those who pointed out the problems with my map and thank those who defended me, you were right about my intentions while those who critiqued it were right about the implications of the map.

I may take a few days away from here. If anyone wants to know what I was thinking, please PM me. Thanks.

The word anasazi is Navajo for "enemy ancestors", I believe used in reference to the Hopi, so I imagine either the Navajo or the Hopi would prefer the state to be named after one or the other.

That having been said, we live in a TL with a state named "Idaho" which as far as we can tell is a literal nonsense word made up by white settlers and attributed to Native Americans, so the US naming a state Anasazi is certainly not unthinkable.
My idea behind Anasazi was that the Navajo majority was like "let's make the others feel included" (the Anasazis being an ancient civilization that birthed all the different Pueblo people including the Hopis). However you're correct that it originally means "enemy ancestors" so I'm thinking either Pueblo or Navajo would be better ...

(Also lawmakers suggested "Laramie" for the state of Lakota and the officials essentially answered "Oh yeah to reference that treaty you disrespected twice yeah that's awesome love it such a great way to start.")

I think it's important to note that Lakota, Hawai'i, Anasazi, Alaska and Sequoyah were all created in the 1940s after natives demanded to have special states carved out for them (for instance Hawai'i has three official languages: English, Hawai'ian and Japanese) so that they could avoid sinking completely into irrelevance.

Last edited:
My idea behind Anasazi was that the Navajo majority was like "let's make the others feel included" (the Anasazis being an ancient civilization that birthed all the different Pueblo people including the Hopis). However you're correct that it originally means "enemy ancestors" so I'm thinking either Pueblo or Navajo would be better ...
It wouldn't be a decision by OTL's Navajo (or at least 19th/early 20th century Navajo) since IIRC they considered the Anasazi pueblos haunted and avoided them and as the meaning of "Anasazi" implies held a dislike of them and their descendents.

It wouldn't be a decision by OTL's Navajo (or at least 19th/early 20th century Navajo) since IIRC they considered the Anasazi pueblos haunted and avoided them and as the meaning of "Anasazi" implies held a dislike of them and their descendents.
I see. Thank you for clearing this misunderstanding. Then Navajo is obviously a better choice for the name of the state. I didn't know Navajos had such a conflictual relationship with the different Pueblo groups ... I will correct it

I actually had the same thought about it when I saw it yesterday, and I normally don't jump to that kind of conclusion, so I don't think you're being unreasonable. That said, if you really think there's an issue, the best thing to do would be to report it and let CalBear decide whether it's dodgy or not.
The name is weird, sure, so is the idea. But I think that he only did this so that Europeans would have gotten to Asia much easier. No america makes sense here as well, because there wouldn't be a need for a quicker sea route and america would have never been discovered (hence why theres no vast ocean, america is there of course just undiscovered from what I can infer). It just seems like a idea that wasn't fully thought out as to how people would perceive it, but besides the optics the map should have been 100% okay

Jacobin USA.png

Spent the better part of a week on this. The basic idea is that the Boston Massacre is worse, which leads to more radicalization on the part of the Americans. The Revolutionary War is thus more radical, with the southern states remaining only loosely aligned to the Continental Congress, which is firmly controlled by the Sons of Liberty (and its leaders, Patrick Henry and Sam Adams). America wins its independence, sans the south and some of the west, while loyalists are purged (as are 'Monarchists' like Hamilton and John Jay). Ultimately, Aaron Burr leads a coup with the backing of businessmen and merchants and America stabilizes into a democracy with a strong executive.

Status
Not open for further replies.