Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a very, very, very long time working on it, I finally finished making a new version of my personal Alt-History World Map! I've made some changes here and there to fit within the limitations of HGO (the Historic Geographical Overhaul mod), but overall the geopolitical setting is generally the same. I've only got eight screenshots to share this time - all of them either 'political province' map or a full view of the world - as I don't have the patience to do a more in-depth tour of it right now, but maybe you'll see some more later. Anyways, onto the screenshots:

The first four screenshots here are of the 'political province' map you can get when you hit Ctrl+F10 to save the map while in-game; it gives you a clean view of all the countries in solid colors without the messy details like 'terrain' or 'weather' effects getting in the way. However, you get no labels for the country names, so I'll have to explain what countries are which here... but only if you ask (because I'm not going to do it right here and now, since it'll take too long to go down the list of each one). Anyways, the only differences here between each screenshot is just in regards to the Soviet Union and its constituent republics:

Custom Alt-History World Map (HGO Rendered Redux - V1).png

First one here shows the entire world map, plus the USSR's basic constituent republics: the Russian SFSR, the Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian SSRs, the Belorussian and Ukrainian SSRs, the Georgian, Armenian, and Azerbaijan SSRs, and the Kazakh, Uzbek, Turkmen, Kyrgyz, and Tajik SSRs.

Custom Alt-History World Map (HGO Rendered Redux - V2).png

Second one here is the same, but now the Lithuanian, Latvian, and Estonian SSRs are merged into the Baltic SFSR, and the Georgian, Armenian, and Azerbaijan SSRs are merged into the Transcaucasian SFSR.

Custom Alt-History World Map (HGO Rendered Redux - V3).png

Third is the same as the second, but now the Uzbek, Turkmen, Kyrgyz, and Tajik SSRs are merged into the Turanic SFSR.

Custom Alt-History World Map (HGO Rendered Redux - V4).png

Finally, in the fourth one, we see the entire Soviet Union as one unified entity.

Oh, and do note: ignore how the entire Atlantic coast of Africa from Gibraltar to Liberia is one grey blob: I have no idea why it's like that, as it's actually Morocco, the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Mauritania, and the Senegambian Confederation (from north to south, respectively). You can see it more clearly in the following screenshots.

Also, ignore the tiny little green speck on the western side of Syria you may see; that was merely an artifact of Lebanon I accidentally left behind during the map-making process, it's not supposed to be there.

The next four screenshots are proper in-game views of the entire world map (minus poor New Zealand, as it just couldn't quite fit into the screen for the photo):

cmLooO5.png

Same deal as before, entire world plus the USSR's basic constituent republics.

6p13hjY.png

Same as before but now with the Baltic and Transcaucasian SFSRs.

lhafl0W.png

Third verse same as the second and first, but now with the Turanic SFSR added in.

IkIt8MI.png

And finally the mighty Soviet Union in its huge, blobby glory.

And that's all I have to share for now! Stay tuned for more (if I get around to it)!

I've been wondering this for a long time, but how do you make all the cool map features? like the glow on the coastlines and some of the provinces, The dashed lines, etc.

You just go in and add a different color outline around the coast pixel by pixel. Dashed lines you can do with the line tool, by putting diagonal lines next to each other.

I've been wondering this for a long time, but how do you make all the cool map features? like the glow on the coastlines and some of the provinces, The dashed lines, etc.
For outlines, it depends if you want the corners of the outline to be contiguous or if you want them to only touch by the corner of the pixels. In the first situation, you select the region you want an outline for, make a new layer, fill the selection and then use the outline tool on the selection. You want to set the second slider to 100% and the first to 1.
If you want them to only touch by the corners of the pixels, you do exactly the same, but instead of 100% in the second slider, you go 99%. However, you will have to manually check the whole border because some parts won't fit perfectly, but at least you won't have to do it all manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.