Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courtesy of u/olivierhamann on Reddit, CHARLEMANGE 2.0 the Dual Empire of the Rhine: where "a French Pyrrhic victory in the Battle of Leipzig led to a Bonaparte-Hohenzollern pact". By 1887, the resulting Franco-German confederation is ruled by Guillaume-Napoléon Ier / Wilhelm-Napoleon I / William-Napoleon I of the House of Bonaparte-Hohenzollern; who is building an invasion fleet in the Baltic Sea to invade Britain itself.

v90vicnrgj761.jpg

Courtesy of u/olivierhamann on Reddit, CHARLEMANGE 2.0 the Dual Empire of the Rhine: where "a French Pyrrhic victory in the Battle of Leipzig led to a Bonaparte-Hohenzollern pact". By 1887, the resulting Franco-German confederation is ruled by Guillaume-Napoléon Ier / Wilhelm-Napoleon I / William-Napoleon I of the House of Bonaparte-Hohenzollern; who is building an invasion fleet in the Baltic Sea to invade Britain itself.

v90vicnrgj761.jpg
This map is super cursed.

i would think that Germany would need a little more territory to counterbalance that large of a French part of the Empire. Otherwise I like the map.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Question, what defines "current politics"? Is stuff in the last 10 years? 20? Or is it just a vague term?
Pro-Tip: If you manage to sneak back from Coventry by burrowing under the wire, don't "@" a Mod right after getting back.

BTW: No; I will not share who it was.

v90vicnrgj761.jpg

Imperial and National capitals seem reversed.

So uh... Somehow Nazi France somehow winning somewhat of a WW2
1609699763167.png

Basically France screwing over the UK and Germany h a r d.
The rest (basically Balkans is pretty much based on OTL's WW2)

Last edited:

v90vicnrgj761.jpg
So does the Doppelreich use the doppelkreuz? More seriously are the Bonaparte-Hohenzollerns cultivating some sort of neo-Frankish national ideal?

v90vicnrgj761.jpg
Curious lack of Switzerland...

v90vicnrgj761.jpg
Nice! But these otl borders of German empire in east and north... Schleswig-Holstein was danish at that time... there could also be more (or even less) Poland... and some chunk of Austria (Bohemia? Tyrol?) and, as mentioned, maybe Switzerland? It would look better, or thats my humble opinion

So, after following @Upvoteanthology 's fantastic inkscape tutorial, I've made my first alt-history map: what do you guys think?
MayapanMap-min.png
Mayapan (offic. The Mayapan Federation) is a sovereign state in Central America. It is one of only two states in the Americas with a majority indigenous population, and the only indingenous state not conquered by Europeans.

Founded as a response to Spanish incursions in 1510, it is the second state to bear the name “Mayapan.” Although it has experienced severe turmoil, from multiple civil wars, foreign occupation and devastating plague, it has never been fully subjected, and has retained some level of independence since its founding. Many invaders: first the Spanish, then the Mexicans, then the Centroamericans, and finally the Scots found fighting in the Yucatan jungles close to impossible, withdrawing before even reaching the deep interior.

Although it is still fundamentally a Mayan state, it has borrowed much from the outside world during its five century long existence. The country has been majority Christian since the 17th century, although some thinly-veiled Mayan gods are venerated as saints. Governmental systems are modeled after Europe, and the formerly rural and poor country has adopted much technology, especially since the tourism boom of the 60s.

The country is governed as a federation of fifteen (or fourteen, depending on who you ask) kingdoms, who are each accorded five representatives to the one-hundred and fifty member strong Maya Council, the remaining representatives doled out based on population. The council is popularly elected, and decides most national policy, although day to day governance is devolved to the local kingdoms. The Ajaws (kings), although mostly powerless, still are proud reminders of the country’s ancient past and are prominent in ceremonies especially the popular spring equinox rituals at Chichen Itza.

Although a formerly agrarian and poverty-stricken nation, its political stability, tropical location and free markets have made it one of the fastest growing economies in the world, fueled by a robust services and tourism industry. Chinese-built high speed rail cuts through the jungle Xel-Ha’s lagoons, cenotes and ancient temples attract millions of tourists yearly, and Mayapán has seen one of the largest building booms in Latin America.

Nevertheless, the country still struggles with income inequality and degradation of its rich natural and cultural heritage from overdevelopment. Although friendly with neighboring Belize and the FRCA, Mexico and Mayapan have no diplomatic relations since Mayapan bloodlessly annexed Campeche in 1978 during the 2nd Mexican Civil War. Additionally, Mayapan diplomatically and militarily supports the internationally unrecognized Petén Republic, which Mexico considers an illegal rebellion.

Last edited:
The state of Europe in the year 1100.
Continuing my series.
1609713640598.png

The state of religion in Poland in 1130. Since the early 900s attempts have been made to proselytize Poland. However fierce resistance and constant attacks by Pagans delayed the conversion for many years. The first king of Poland adopted Catholicism in 960 King Mieszko of the Piast dynasty. However he was overthrown by a Polons rebellion just a few years later. The leader of this rebellion established the Polonski dynasty was established and ruled as pagans until King Henryk in 1078 converted to Catholicism, allowing a cathedral to be built in the capital of Brodno. Henryk was notable for dividing Poland into 7 duchies crowning each of his 6 sons as Duke, with the eldest as High Duke. The seventh duchy Polans he reserved as the crown duchy to be passed to whomever would be king of Poland. He led many reforms, including the banning of Christian persecution and expanding the Szlachta by ennobling many prominent unlanded knights. These reforms opened the door to both Orthodox and Catholic missionaries. By the time his grandson Wojslaw became king much of Poland had been christianized especially in the urban centers. As of 1130 nearly all major noble families have adopted either Catholicism or Orthodoxy however in central Poland among the peasants the old Slavic traditions are still observed. But with the persecution of the Christians by Pagans much a thing of the past, new tensions have began to arise between the Catholics and Orthodox. Currently the High Duke Radomir of Lesser Poland is in line for the throne, one of only two Orthodox dukes.

The map is excellent, however I think you didn't choose the best basemap for it? It looks more like a 17th century map. Regardless, considering it is your first map, this is excedingly good.
Yeah, I used a 19th century map, and was suprised at how inaccurate it was after looking at google maps. Nevertheless, this was mostly for practice, so I went along with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.