Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starforce

Banned
Hmmm... I will think about it. I don't want to just make a huge NYC tower, because eventually larger and larger towers get boring. If I can think of a way of verticalizing a quaint New England town, I'll do it!
Wasn't thinking NYC, but areas of the Upstate, I live in the upstate so it will be interesting.

How did Islam react to the seemingly act of God of wiping away Mecca and Medina from the existence? That's going to cause a huge collapse of the Islamic world in addition to most Muslims being sent away in the ISOT.
Thats a good question, and one I unfortunately haven't put to much though into yet. This scenario isn't as polished as I would have liked it to be. There was certainly instability, and the collapse of Saudi Arabia in particular. Leading to a federation of most gulf states. Indonesia was a big loss. The Sunni sect lost a lot more people the the Shia's. The reconstruction of those cities is being overseen by the king of Jordan and Hejaz.
Really neat concept. But Russia, Iran, Pakistan, Japan, Canada, and all of Europe (among others) are going to lay claims to at least some of that untouched land.
Russia, Iran, Canada, and Europe are are too far from the tropics. Pakistan would have to fight their way through India, who has nukes (I have included Pakistani Kashmir though). Japan has no one to send as settlers, they are suffering population decline and people don't want to leave the cities for deserted pacific islands. So no.
No one is going to let the US take everything down to the Amazon. Canada will definitely get some. Hell, Uruguay will get some. France will get their Guiana back and more (as well as probably the Dutch and the British). Spain will lay claims to some of their old colonies. The US will shout "Monroe Doctrine" from the rooftops, and the rest of the world will reply "Dude. Don't you have enough already?"
More like no one is going to stop them. The core of the US is untouched, they can still project power like nobody's business. Supposedly the Monroe doctrine is no longer being practiced (I read about this somewhere, don't remember details) but it was easy to say "this is close to us and empty, it's ours now". Everyone has their own backyard to be worried about. Uruguay is bordered by Argentina and Rump Brazil, who both far outnumber them, no change of getting their own colonies. though if an Uruguayan wishes to become a settler the Argentines are happy to take them.
Meanwhile, Africa will be fought over by everyone in the Eastern Hemisphere.
I had an alternate version with various colonies carved out of Africa, but abandoned that in favour of this more optimistic outlook. It's certainly a possibility, but not the one I chose to depict. South Africa is getting a lot of European investment, Morocco some, Algeria and Egypt relatively little.
Yes and no. The UK (maybe the UK together with some other parts of the Commonwealth) will lay claim to the territory of Commonwealth countries in the area. Certainly French, British, and Dutch territory in the tropics will remain French, British, or Dutch- I completely agree with you that there's no way that America gets French Guiana. And I would anticipate some kind of independent Mexico hanging around.

But I'm not seeing Japan or Canada or Russia or Spain getting their hands on much of anything. Definitely not Uruguay or Iran, or random European countries like Portugal or Italy. People will make claims and those claims will be recognized, and the borders in the New World will be what the USA says it's okay with. That America will respect some European claims and make room for Argentina, Brazil, and Chile will be for diplomatic and political reasons- not because it has to.
The widely scattered nature of historical colonial empires don't make sense when the land is empty and your not trying to project power. Claims to non contagious areas weren't always recognized. In particular regarding the Pacific and caribbean islands. It was considered, but america deiced they wanted all the caribbean as theirs. Not letting the UK, France and the Netherlands back in for old times sake. France made up for it a bit in the Indian ocean, Britain is looking inwards.

I could definitely see non-token concessions by the US to Uruguay and Canada to keep additional non-Western Hemisphere countries out.

But Russia, especially, will want something. It won't be in the Americas, but something somewhere will be negotiated.
Uruguay and Canada and russia are great examples of countries not well positioned to start their own colonies or claim territory in this scenario. Theres so much of it that basically anyone from anywhere and get free land though. Canadians most easily in the American colonies, Uruguayans most easily in the Argentine. Russia is big and powerful and unlike most major nations lost not a single thing to the event. But their economic situation is a disaster, they can and do bully neighbours with a large army, but difficult to project power far away.

Tropics replaced by Virgin Earth: 20 years after the event
Truly an interesting–and seemingly obvious–concept. I’m surprised that neither this nor its inverse has ever been done before. Props for…
1605648456093-1.png

…UNACCEPTABLE. “But… but the northern Mexican states weren’t removed! Arizona wouldn’t have free claim to that land!” They want annexed, don’t they? Comes with a cost. Specifically a tiny, little strip of beach for Arizona. “You’re not even Arizonan; why do you care so much about this?” Justice. That’s why.

I could definitely see non-token concessions by the US to Uruguay and Canada to keep additional non-Western Hemisphere countries out.

Okay, I'll bite. Why on Earth would the USA make any sort of concession, token or otherwise to Uruguay? Why would Uruguay- which lacks the ability to meaningfully settle or defend any new tropical territory- even ask for such concessions?

But Russia, especially, will want something. It won't be in the Americas, but something somewhere will be negotiated.

Russia may want something, but it's not going to get it. It lacks the capacity to project power that far from its homeland, and I don't see Putin going to war with China or the USA just to get the Congo or something like that.

The widely scattered nature of historical colonial empires don't make sense when the land is empty and your not trying to project power. Claims to non contagious areas weren't always recognized. In particular regarding the Pacific and caribbean islands. It was considered, but america deiced they wanted all the caribbean as theirs. Not letting the UK, France and the Netherlands back in for old times sake. France made up for it a bit in the Indian ocean, Britain is looking inwards.

I think you're overestimating how important territories being continuous matters. It's not the 17th century anymore, when territorial claims were based on "dibs".

British/French/Dutch etc. claims to these territories have already been recognized, these are their sovereign possessions and certainly much loser to their homelands than anything in the Indian Ocean. If the USA said "we're taking all of the Caribbean" then sure, we have the military might to make it happen. But America just straight up annexing the sovereign territory of some of its oldest allies would be the end of NATO, a severe blow to US influence in Europe, and would destabilize our entire global sphere of influence. None of that is worth a handful of islands and French Guiana when you already have all of this great Virgin Earth to settle elsewhere.

I could maybe buy the USA purchasing the European claims, but again; why spend perfectly good money to buy claims to handful of islands+Guiana when you have all of Central America, Colombia, Venezuela, and Ecuador to settle for free? Easier just to let the Europeans resettle their islands. It's not like we're enemies.

Ultima Thule: 1962
Legacy of the Eigenreich
q53kejy.png
Originally, this was supposed to be a funny thought exercise on "What if WW2 was fought with magic?" but then it went on to develop itself into something greater than its original state as a shitpost. Ultima Thule is my take on a timeline where Hitler, disillusioned by the Great War, devotes himself to the study of the occult prior to his involvement in politics. The complete write-up will probably be posted in its own thread, but for the sake of exposition some of it will be posted below. The map itself is final, I will not be changing it, but the lore has yet to be fully explored.

On a dark and stormy German night in 1919, a meeting of brothers-in-arms in a candle-lit study would divert the river of history into a wholly different channel. Survivors of the Great War, they sought to undo what the meat grinder of Europe stole from them. A leg, an arm, the gift of sight and peace of mind. Alas, things went wrong, as they always do. Perhaps it was for the best that the only survivor of the Pasewalk Incident was the man seeking to undo his loss of sight and hearing. Adolf Hitler would miraculously regain both in the following days, along with the burden of knowing exactly what happened to his comrades in that study on that night and voices that whispered knowledge and secrets to him in his sleep .

Hitler would spend his time divided between a brief return to the army and his involvement in the Thule Society with his mentor Dietrich Eckhart, impressed by the former’s encounter with incomprehensible forces. During his time he would publish articles on occult research that permeated throughout the world, ushering what would be known as the Second Renaissance. Eventually he was introduced to politics, and before long he was addressing thousands in various vitriolic beer hall speeches. Fast forward to 1936, the German Reich was picking itself up at a rapid pace, infrastructure improvements and developments were accelerated by utilization of strange machines. Throughout the years, Hitler would not only focus on a plan to restore German glory, but a way to fuse his knowledge of the esoteric and arcane into it. “Eigentechnik”, or Special Technology, was the official term used by the Nazi government to explain the unnaturally quick progress made by the nation. Of course, eigentech had already been carefully studied for applications in weaponry, directly overseen by Hitler himself. The Berlin-Rome Treaty of Mutual Understanding was signed shortly after, on the grounds of limited eigentech sharing between Germany and Italy, and the former’s desire for access to ancient Roman sites and artifacts for the implied purpose of occult research. Later that year, the Munich Conference saw the cession of the Sudetenland to Germany under the presence of new British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, who took office after his predecessor died in his sleep the previous year.

Across Eurasia, the world continues to turn. The Emperor of Japan underwent involuntary abdication thanks to the efforts of a gun-toting communist. Italian troops seized Ethiopia while Mussolini declared himself Protector of Islam in Libya. A coup in Brazil installs the communists into its government, allegedly with external support. FDR secures a second term in the United States. Through it all, research into mystical artifacts, folk legends and esoteric or thaumaturgical phenomena continue worldwide in muted fashion. It was common belief that most, if not all legends and associated paraphernalia had some form of innate power, locked away by the passage of time and waiting to be released. British egyptologists unearth record-breaking numbers of tombs and artifacts, an increase in Jewish immigration into the United States spark a renewed interest in Jewish mythology and folklore, and a Soviet expedition to Central Asia attempts to find the rumored necropolis of Genghis Khan.

World War Two would proceed to alter the landscape of the world, quite literally in some cases, as the Allies rushed to develop their own eigentech, be it via independent research or reverse-engineering German eigentech. Occult superweapons, or eigenweapons, while more common, would not be employed on the scale seen in Europe due to the wildly varying costs of usage and general unpredictability.

By 1962, the state of the world is not so different from OTL as the Cold War continues to ferment and fester, if one chooses to ignore the anomalous zones spanning the Arctic Circle, the proliferation of eigentech in modern society, and the ever-looming threat of annihilation with an occult flavor. These truly are strange times we live in.

Here's a partial reversal scenario to @Cool-Eh 's Virgin Tropics scenario.

Gone with the Twilight Zone, 20 Years Later
20 Years Later.png

While Cool-Eh's scenario has the Tropics gone, here the lands beyond the latitude of 48°34' North or South disappear. The white lines denote said latitude. The Event happened in 2019.

The superpowers are the United States of America and the People's Republic of China, both losing territories that are generally lightly populated. The United States lost around 900 thousand citizens, and China around 3.3 million.

1. Republic of Victoria, the remnant of British Columbia. It's not entirely clear why the United States allowed it to remain independent, considering that only Greater Victoria survived the Event.
2. The border settlements are very much not in favour of Canada.
3. It's Newfoundland, not Newfoundland and Labrador.
4. The Pitcairn Islands found themselves under French control.
5. The status quo is upheld between Chile and Argentina, though many would wish otherwise. The only gains Argentina made were the Falklands and South Georgia.
6. Both the Americans and Canadians are recolonizing and resettling northern Europe. The Arctic in particular is looking more like an American lake.
7. France may have lost Paris, but the Lyonnais government is doing well in it's efforts to colonize the Right Bank of the Rhine. And they also got the Isle of Wight.
8. Germany on the other hand is struggling to even reclaim the lost parts of Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria.
9. Both Austria and Slovakia are silently taking parts of Moravia for themselves.
10. "Without Kosice, there are only Hungarians. You can have it." "Okay."
11. Hungary, Romania and Moldova took advantage of the chaos in Ukraine to retake what was lost. In Romania's case they got Pokuttya as well. Still Ukraine stands independent.
12. Russia is struggling to remain united. Both Ossetias went rogue, Chechnya and Dagestan became independent, and Armenia is allied with the United States.
13. Virgin Lands Campaign: Mongolia Edition.
14. The Far East Republic is a Sino-Japanese influenced nation based out of Khabarovsk.
15. Who sent a memo for the Americans to colonize the Far East as well?!
16. Japan is lucky to get the Kurils and southern Kamchatka.
17. British American Indian Ocean Territory.
18. Without Norway, France now owns Bouvet Island.
19. South Africa is in charge of Saint Helena. Otherwise the continent is largely as it was twenty years ago, though tensions are rising.
20. Both the Bahamas and Jamaica are enlarged, but it's Saint Kitts and Nevis that grabbed the most.
21. Puerto Rico, the new 50th State. Virgin Islands and Anguilla included.
22. The ABC Islands consider themselves as the successor state to the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
23. Yes, that's Brazilian England. Panic.

Gone with the Twilight Zone, 20 Years Later
View attachment 600468

While Cool-Eh's scenario has the Tropics gone, here the lands beyond the latitude of 48°34' North or South disappear. The white lines denote said latitude. The Event happened in 2019.

The superpowers are the United States of America and the People's Republic of China, both losing territories that are generally lightly populated. The United States lost around 900 thousand citizens, and China around 3.3 million.

1. Republic of Victoria, the remnant of British Columbia. It's not entirely clear why the United States allowed it to remain independent, considering that only Greater Victoria survived the Event.
2. The border settlements are very much not in favour of Canada.
3. It's Newfoundland, not Newfoundland and Labrador.
4. The Pitcairn Islands found themselves under French control.
5. The status quo is upheld between Chile and Argentina, though many would wish otherwise. The only gains Argentina made were the Falklands and South Georgia.
6. Both the Americans and Canadians are recolonizing and resettling northern Europe. The Arctic in particular is looking more like an American lake.
7. France may have lost Paris, but the Lyonnais government is doing well in it's efforts to colonize the Right Bank of the Rhine. And they also got the Isle of Wight.
8. Germany on the other hand is struggling to even reclaim the lost parts of Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria.
9. Both Austria and Slovakia are silently taking parts of Moravia for themselves.
10. "Without Kosice, there are only Hungarians. You can have it." "Okay."
11. Hungary, Romania and Moldova took advantage of the chaos in Ukraine to retake what was lost. In Romania's case they got Pokuttya as well. Still Ukraine stands independent.
12. Russia is struggling to remain united. Both Ossetias went rogue, Chechnya and Dagestan became independent, and Armenia is allied with the United States.
13. Virgin Lands Campaign: Mongolia Edition.
14. The Far East Republic is a Sino-Japanese influenced nation based out of Khabarovsk.
15. Who sent a memo for the Americans to colonize the Far East as well?!
16. Japan is lucky to get the Kurils and southern Kamchatka.
17. British American Indian Ocean Territory.
18. Without Norway, France now owns Bouvet Island.
19. South Africa is in charge of Saint Helena. Otherwise the continent is largely as it was twenty years ago, though tensions are rising.
20. Both the Bahamas and Jamaica are enlarged, but it's Saint Kitts and Nevis that grabbed the most.
21. Puerto Rico, the new 50th State. Virgin Islands and Anguilla included.
22. The ABC Islands consider themselves as the successor state to the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
23. Yes, that's Brazilian England. Panic.
Why 48°34'?

Why 48°34'?
The hint is in the title.
“At latitudes greater than 48°34' North or South, on dates near the summer solstice, twilight can last from sunset to sunrise, since the Sun does not go more than 18 degrees below the horizon, so complete darkness does not occur even at solar midnight.”

Return to Eden.png

A WIP map I'm making. Long story short its a world where that big rock never fell on another bigger rock and killed big lizard people.

North America 1914.png

Still very much a WIP, but I felt satisfied enough with the state of my NA map to share with the group. Drawing alternate Western states is a pain in the ass, but I did the best I could. Canada definitely needs some work, but I'm a lot less comfortable drawing the borders there.

Commissioned by The Great War.
Created as a test of style change for their channel according to their new motion designer and director.
Still a handful of issues with this map, but it's a proof of concept
de8wrde-9d51b824-6304-4140-8b37-cdb842aa4526.png

What's that minimap showing?
So Humanity never evolved in this timeline, and instead, multiple species became sentient. The Green is the Humanoid intelligent Dinosaur (Don't know what to call them for now.) Here is what they would look like. The Yellow is another species I haven't totally thought of yet. The blue is a Human-like species, however, these humans evolved from New World Monkeys. The Purple is an Insect lHumanoid speciese.

——snip—— (We don’t have to snip anymore? Ian fixed that with the new quote system? Oh well, it’s a habit.)
Glad to have inspired something.

Poor Canada. I mean, we’ve still probably got 2/3 of our population, but only 5% of the land not reset. Then again, half of that land probably looks just the same, there’s not much development in the arctic tundra. And then America goes and takes the prairies plus BC. What did they lose? The northwest angle?

I suppose things could be worse. Like Russia...

Regarding point 14, I think half of Khabarovsk would be gone, so Vladivostok seems more likely. Especially with the Trans Siberian railway dead ending in the wilderness, but not impossible.

Mongolia’s probably falling under heavy Chinese influence now that they can balance them against the Russians, right?

do to the amount of rivers is there a lot of swamp land on the coastline?
On the coasts of the large gulf to the South yes (the meandering river network that drains on there being a gigantic wetland), but in general it is similar to OTL East Asia in relation to coastal swamps

Status
Not open for further replies.