Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've whipped up two different maps for the conclusion of the latest chapter of my TL, and I'm struggling to decide which one I prefer; one has the benefit of being made with better access to base maps and just feels cleaner in general, but the other I think probably has the "better" split of Perú.

I think the second one is has a better split. But the seems to be better quality to me. I think overall I like the second one better.

I've whipped up two different maps for the conclusion of the latest chapter of my TL, and I'm struggling to decide which one I prefer; one has the benefit of being made with better access to base maps and just feels cleaner in general, but the other I think probably has the "better" split of Perú.
I prefer map 2 but I prefer the colour scheme from map 1 for Peru

Draw up the subway systems, duh!

Except NYC isn't really all that dense for a city. Even Manhattan proper, which is really more business district than apartment buildings in my eyes, has a density twice that of NYC. If it's all a more actually-packed density, it has the space for ten times that- and that's pretty much just single-floor space.

Even a mega-city needs some green space. :) And New York is crowded enough for most people: it inspired resident Asimov to write his "Caves of Steel", after all.

Edite: I see @AmericaninBeijing has already weighed in on this.

Eurasia in the year 700 AD.
9pkndG3.jpg

A map I made depicting Europe during the rise of the Ummayads. What do you guys think of this map? I used the Circle Text plugin for Paint.net, and used the font
"Complex" if anyone is interested.​

This will probably be the last map I do for a while as school opens tomorrow for me and I'll have to get used to my new schedule and classes. I might have some other maps I made lying around on my pc, so if I find them I'll post them here.

I also posted this on Reddit as well.
Is this OTL? <3

The Bay Area, where I live, is really going through it at the moment and could use some love, so here's more or less what my fantasy transit system for it would look like (and also my first attempt at a transit map). This isn't a proposal for the future though, it's a very loose alternate history based very loosely on the very loose premise of the Bay Area having had one single transit system from the start, incorporating elements of the real BART, Muni, and Caltrain plus various historical or current plans and proposals for them, and shaped heavily by my frantic attempts to get everything to fit together right, inability to draw overlapping lines, and other technical factors.

Help, I can't stop adding new lines:
de3uppk-83e272d2-4551-4176-8c4b-308bd9e27ba4.png

de3uhrg-a1b03a37-5b98-4a18-aeac-b8417f6c3137.png

@Keperry are they really called shuttles instead of ferries in San Francisco? Interesting.

Those aren't ferries, they're just shuttles running across bridges (the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge and the Dumbarton Bridge). There is an extensive ferry system in San Francisco, which I didn't include in this map because my brain was already melting.

1598305831230.png

Born from the colonial empires that ruled the Americas in the past (and ruled by dynasties descended from them), the nations of North America are a complicated, and often times irritating, bunch that exist in a wide array of cultures, governments and states of being, as many states have long histories of internal conflicts and instability. More commonly seen as neutral among the politics of the wider world, the reason why has never been fully understood, but most tend to associate it with the North American tendency for localized enmities and wars and a tendency to look inwards, with few of the nations of the region having major involvements outside of the Americas or the north in general

Nations of Interest

Passing through another bout of economic recession, the American Empire (sometimes called “Prince Arthur’s Vanity Fair” by the British far-right due to its origins) is most commonly seen as one of the most decentralized states in the world (being compared more than once to the older Holy Roman Empire) and also one marked by a great deal of politic turmoil and instability, seeing as ever since Arthur I established the country in 1838, a grand total of 5 of its 9 monarchs had their reigns ended by some sort of coup, with the current empress, Guinevere, having herself ascended to the throne by entering the White Palace with an army and the support of the empire’s main lords

Called “the hermit kingdom of North America” (to not be confused with Tawantinsuyu in the South), the Grand Duchy of Maine is quite the curious nation, started as one of the main states within the American Empire, given by Arthur I to one of his sons, it has been, ever since its independence in 1878 (unilaterally declared after the Seven Weeks War), one of the few nations in the globe who has actively pursued not being involved with the rest of the world, for reasons to this day not really understood. Disconnected from things like the worldwide web, the international web of royal marriages and with a single embassy (in London), most people only known of Main through its permitted port entrances and the state television, as the country outside of them is a fortress, hidden behind its closed borders and secretive government

Born from the brutal demise of the French Empire in the Great War, the Empire of Louisiane is both the bread-basket and most “interesting” of the nations of North America. Founded by an avid Romanophile in the form of Emperor Antonius, Louisiane is considered something of a nation of contradictions, with its flamboyant and often times “gaudy” population (in special aristocracy) being a sharp contrast to its incredibly authoritarian and autocratic government, headed currently by the empress Euphemia, who rose to power in a bloody (if fast) civil war that saw her murder around half of her relatives in what was a shocking turn of events, as she was considered by many defectors and foreign spectators one of the most liberal members of the Imperial Family. Another interesting factor in Louisiane are the Imperial Games, an annual televised event created by Emperor Claudius in the 1950s on the aftermath of the Louisianian Succession War as a show of national unity

The current dumpsterfire of the Americas (and often times compared to the situation that is befalling the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the chaos of the Siamese State), the Fifth Floridian Civil War was started in 2008 with the ascension of King Philip V, as his first cousin once removed, the Duke of San Augustin (self-declared Louis I) contested his right to the throne due to the hazy status of his legitimacy (Philip’s father, Carlos III, was elderly and childless, and then married in 2005 his mistress, Juana Isabel the Ibarra y Canço, after both Philip and his sisters were already born, which the duke uses as a fact to claim he is illegitimate still, besides the marriage laws of the House of Borbón prohibiting “unequal marriages”. Interestingly, up to that point the duke had been heir presumptive). Now on its twelfth year (it in fact started literally half a month after the previous king’s death), the war has been a brutal and bloody one, with an estimation being that around 1 to 3 million people being dead due to the conflict, while hundreds of thousands more have been forced to flee, which has brought fears of the conflict spilling to neighboring countries due to it (as many have fled to the south of the American Empire, while Cayos is basically a safe haven for the southeastern elites, having been for decades a nation based around holiday tourism); although fought between the loyalists and rebels, there are also on the war large stretches of land left basically lawless by the conflict, with those “Lawless Lands” being most of the time either entirely depopulated or ruled by small survivalist bands, some indigenous tribes (which have sworn loyalty to the king), criminal gangs and the odd non-conformist rebel. It is predicted that the forces of the Duke will probably end up losing (as only 3 nations, none of which is the one where his son is prince consort, recognize his rule), as he controls the rural east against the industrial west, but is estimated that it may take decades for the Floridas to recover from the devastation of the conflict

Although their colonial empires in the Americas have mostly ended, there are still some nations from Europe who retain territories in the continent, and, in North America in special, there are the British Empire and the Portuguese Monarchy, with the first still having the kingdoms of Nova Scotia (who chose to not side with Arthur I in the American War of Independence) and the Bahamas (a patchwork of small feudal and royal states created in colonial times united as a single nation) and the Principality of Barbados (ruled by the Courten Dynasty, who commanded its settlement), while the second still has the Kingdom of Terranova and Lavrador, its northernmost territory since its conception in the late 16th century. Not shown in the matter of North America is the Kingdom of Iceland, who rules over most of the northern archipelago

To the west there are the Confederation of the Rockies, which while similar to the Swiss Confederacy in its nature as a patchwork of mountainous states united as a self-defense measure, lacks the status of having its national army be basically the largest mercenary force in the world; and the nations of Alyeska and Mexico, who both control large swathes of lands but have been mostly uninterested on the matters of the region, the first due to its own focus on the North Pacific and Russia (its mother nation) and the second due to its internal problems having to squash the cartels and its seasonal bushwars with Yucatan and Tejas, even though the Mexican northwest is one of the continent’s wealthiest regions (as a trade and technology hub)

Last edited:
PoD of this map is a different course of the Mongol conquest, as a result of which the Ruthenian principalities are not completely subordinated to the Golden Horde. The following centuries were marked by the Ruthenian-Tatar wars, as well as internal conflicts, the development of Cossack "marches" on the border of Ruthenia that protected from the south. Despite internal fights, a common identity comparable to the Holy Roman Empire was maintained. Despite the division, the slow colonization of the Urals and Siberia continued, but much more decentralized than in the OTL. So, I present you Thirty Years War warfare, but in russian flavor.
great_raskol_war__part_i_by_jeremak_j_de3vx21-fullview.jpg

great_raskol_war__part_2_by_jeremak_j_de3vx7d-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.