Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
1598212865214.png

Most of the World is a city. Now what?

Eurasia in the year 700 AD.
9pkndG3.jpg

A map I made depicting Europe during the rise of the Ummayads. What do you guys think of this map? I used the Circle Text plugin for Paint.net, and used the font
"Complex" if anyone is interested.​

This will probably be the last map I do for a while as school opens tomorrow for me and I'll have to get used to my new schedule and classes. I might have some other maps I made lying around on my pc, so if I find them I'll post them here.

I also posted this on Reddit as well.

9pkndG3.jpg

A map I made depicting Europe during the rise of the Ummayads. What do you guys think of this map? I used the Circle Text plugin for Paint.net, and used the font

This will probably be the last map I do for a while as school opens tomorrow for me and I'll have to get used to my new schedule and classes. I might have some other maps I made lying around on my pc, so if I find them I'll post them here.

Blows my map outta the water.:lol:

The next two entries in my time zone ISOT series, UTC+03:00 and UTC+03:30.

UTC+0300.png

UTC+03:00
Regions transported: Russia (Moscow timezone), Belarus, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Donetsk PR, Luhansk PR, Turkey, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Yemen, South Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Somaliland, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Comoros, Mayotte, French Southern and Antarctic Lands (Scattered Islands exc. Tromelin Island), Prince Edward Islands

For Russia, the transformation from being surrounded by enemies to boundless empty lands ready for Russian colonisation and the odd friendly nation seemed like a miracle. The discovery of the Turks across the Black Sea put a little dent in this feeling, but the Russians didn't let that get them down too much as they set about re-settling the Eurasian wilderness. Turkey also saw the opportunity to regain past imperial glories in under a modern sultan president, pushing into the Balkans, the Levant and Egypt helped by their generous program of offering virgin lands to migrants. The Turks' imperial ambitions didn't go well down in Riyadh or Baghdad, which soon found itself sandwiched between the two rivals. Relations began to warm as though thanks to a mutual agreement not to interfere in each others' backyards, leaving the Turks to sail down the Nile and the Arabians to sail the Gulf.

Things also heated up in Africa as the Eritrean regime saw a perfect opportunity to put their conscripts to work extracting the riches of the former Sudanese coast, while not being too careful about whether their troops ended up on Ethiopia's side of the Atbarah River. Ethiopia for their part tried to resist these deliberate provocations while working with Turkey to establish the Red Sea Republic for those that managed to escape Asmara's clutches, which also handily provided them with sea access again, albeit still not directly. The disappearance of Western and Chinese markets and investment hit Kenya particularly hard, especially as the Somali federal government drove its Islamists southwards into Kenya's territory. A costly civil war soon ignited with a peace of sorts eventually established thanks to Ethiopian, Somali and Tanzanian interventions and the creation of a Somali autonomous government in the north east.

The Indian Ocean saw its fair share of conflict following the Event as Comoros and Madagascar decided to press their claims to the French islands in the region. They however underestimated the French navy and had to settle for the southern Seychelles and Mauritius respectively, while many citizens fled to the African coast, establishing their own makeshift state. The unplanned acquisition of Mauritius proved to be much more than a consolation prize for the Malagasies as they re-found their sea legs and started out on an island hopping journey across the ocean to the Malay Archipelago from where their ancestors had set out many centuries before.

UTC+0330.png

UTC+03:30
Regions transported: Iran

With no external enemies to bind the country's various ethnic and religious groups together, the Iranian regime soon found itself facing a series of succession crises as the Kurds, Lurs, Balochis, Arabs, Azeris and Sunni Farsis declared their independence from Tehran. While some of these breakaway states were ultimately reintegrated into Iran, some proved to be permanently lost. Ordinary Iranians, driven to escape the violence, the regime, or simply due to a sense of adventure soon were soon establishing themselves along the northern and western shores of the Persian Gulf, pushing Iran's frontiers outwards. Arabs too joined them along the rivers of Iraq, creating a diverse melting point that often seemed in danger of boiling over. It was in this fervent atmosphere that a series of protests over goods shortages in the new provinces grew into demonstrations against the Islamic Republic itself. Iran thus saw its newest dynastic overthrowal and the flight of the Ayatollahs and regime loyalists to the re-built city of Mecca where the regime lives on as the Islamic Republic of Mecca.

9pkndG3.jpg

IE: Visigothic Kingdom hears something.

"Is that...Boss Music!?"

Umayyad says hello...and bring the pain.

Eastern Romans: Sucks to be you. Now you know how it feels.

Regardless, for a world that was that urbanised, the population would be in the quadrillions. And probably need many vast radiator fins to get rid of all the waste heat.
By the end of Niven’s own writings, the Puppeteer rosette was freely flying through the galaxy. Assuming it would otherwise normalize to background radiation temperature, the Puppeteer civilization’s waste heat was simply transformed into its source of warmth (and power for heating and lighting the farming worlds used to feed them all).

By the end of Niven’s own writings, the Puppeteer rosette was freely flying through the galaxy. Assuming it would otherwise normalize to background radiation temperature, the Puppeteer civilization’s waste heat was simply transformed into its source of warmth (and power for heating and lighting the farming worlds used to feed them all).

The waste heat, unless it can be radiated away, will naturally build up in the planet's surface layers over time. You can only utilise so much of it.

The waste heat, unless it can be radiated away, will naturally build up in the planet's surface layers over time. You can only utilise so much of it.
I suppose, but we’re talking about a franchise that has planet-movers capable of .995c for entire star systems and a “gravity drag” for inertialess travel which can slow you down from any sublight speed as long as you have sufficient radiators to convert gravitational potential into heat. I imagine the Puppeteers could find a way to use that heat. Ooh! Maybe the planet-mover is simply a negative matter generator. As it would generate negative heat, they would NEED the waste heat to keep the planet from freezing in its own right that way.

Regardless, for a world that was that urbanised, the population would be in the quadrillions

A bit high: if you assume a population density as high as New York City, and take the land area of the earth minus Antarctica, you get a population of 1.372 trillion.

As for heat generated: well, we consume right now some 6 times 10 to the 20th power joules per year[1]: multiply per capita by ten to account for a more high-tech future, and then by 1372/7.8 = 176, so energy consumption goes to 1760*6*10^20 = 10554*10^20 = 1*10^24 joules per year. How much energy does the Earth get from the sun?

The earth receives some 4.80*10^20 joules from the sun every hour and a half. [2]Multiply by (24/1.5)*365.25=5844, and you get 28,051*10^20 = 2.8*10^24 joules per year. So, as a loose first estimate, you should be able to deal with the waste heat by moving the earth far out into space if your world-city population density is less than twice that of New York City. :biggrin:

(Feel free to check my math)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_energy_consumption

[2] https://www.sandia.gov/~jytsao/Solar FAQs.pdf

de3tzod-b16ed2ca-7203-48b5-bcde-73614633cd25.png

The Bay Area, where I live, is really going through it at the moment and could use some love, so here's more or less what my fantasy transit system for it would look like (and also my first attempt at a transit map). This isn't a proposal for the future though, it's a very loose alternate history based very loosely on the very loose premise of the Bay Area having had one single transit system from the start, incorporating elements of the real BART, Muni, and Caltrain plus various historical or current plans and proposals for them, and shaped heavily by my frantic attempts to get everything to fit together right, inability to draw overlapping lines, and other technical factors.

The next two entries in my time zone ISOT series, UTC+03:00 and UTC+03:30.

View attachment 577803

UTC+03:00
Regions transported: Russia (Moscow timezone), Belarus, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Donetsk PR, Luhansk PR, Turkey, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Yemen, South Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Somaliland, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Comoros, Mayotte, French Southern and Antarctic Lands (Scattered Islands exc. Tromelin Island), Prince Edward Islands

For Russia, the transformation from being surrounded by enemies to boundless empty lands ready for Russian colonisation and the odd friendly nation seemed like a miracle. The discovery of the Turks across the Black Sea put a little dent in this feeling, but the Russians didn't let that get them down too much as they set about re-settling the Eurasian wilderness. Turkey also saw the opportunity to regain past imperial glories in under a modern sultan president, pushing into the Balkans, the Levant and Egypt helped by their generous program of offering virgin lands to migrants. The Turks' imperial ambitions didn't go well down in Riyadh or Baghdad, which soon found itself sandwiched between the two rivals. Relations began to warm as though thanks to a mutual agreement not to interfere in each others' backyards, leaving the Turks to sail down the Nile and the Arabians to sail the Gulf.

Things also heated up in Africa as the Eritrean regime saw a perfect opportunity to put their conscripts to work extracting the riches of the former Sudanese coast, while not being too careful about whether their troops ended up on Ethiopia's side of the Atbarah River. Ethiopia for their part tried to resist these deliberate provocations while working with Turkey to establish the Red Sea Republic for those that managed to escape Asmara's clutches, which also handily provided them with sea access again, albeit still not directly. The disappearance of Western and Chinese markets and investment hit Kenya particularly hard, especially as the Somali federal government drove its Islamists southwards into Kenya's territory. A costly civil war soon ignited with a peace of sorts eventually established thanks to Ethiopian, Somali and Tanzanian interventions and the creation of a Somali autonomous government in the north east.

The Indian Ocean saw its fair share of conflict following the Event as Comoros and Madagascar decided to press their claims to the French islands in the region. They however underestimated the French navy and had to settle for the southern Seychelles and Mauritius respectively, while many citizens fled to the African coast, establishing their own makeshift state. The unplanned acquisition of Mauritius proved to be much more than a consolation prize for the Malagasies as they re-found their sea legs and started out on an island hopping journey across the ocean to the Malay Archipelago from where their ancestors had set out many centuries before.

View attachment 577804

UTC+03:30
Regions transported: Iran

With no external enemies to bind the country's various ethnic and religious groups together, the Iranian regime soon found itself facing a series of succession crises as the Kurds, Lurs, Balochis, Arabs, Azeris and Sunni Farsis declared their independence from Tehran. While some of these breakaway states were ultimately reintegrated into Iran, some proved to be permanently lost. Ordinary Iranians, driven to escape the violence, the regime, or simply due to a sense of adventure soon were soon establishing themselves along the northern and western shores of the Persian Gulf, pushing Iran's frontiers outwards. Arabs too joined them along the rivers of Iraq, creating a diverse melting point that often seemed in danger of boiling over. It was in this fervent atmosphere that a series of protests over goods shortages in the new provinces grew into demonstrations against the Islamic Republic itself. Iran thus saw its newest dynastic overthrowal and the flight of the Ayatollahs and regime loyalists to the re-built city of Mecca where the regime lives on as the Islamic Republic of Mecca.
Do you have links to all the other ones in your series?

That only buys you so much leeway.

Regardless, for a world that was that urbanised, the population would be in the quadrillions. And probably need many vast radiator fins to get rid of all the waste heat.
i mean this city was meant to be more like the slums of india because of scarcity of resources. Some areas (like nearly all of europe) are more city then slum though.
You can see why countries are still trying to resist being unified.

Most of the World is a city. Now what?
Draw up the subway systems, duh!
if you assume a population density as high as New York City, and take the land area of the earth minus Antarctica, you get a population of 1.372 trillion.
Except NYC isn't really all that dense for a city. Even Manhattan proper, which is really more business district than apartment buildings in my eyes, has a density twice that of NYC. If it's all a more actually-packed density, it has the space for ten times that- and that's pretty much just single-floor space.

(Although the ecumenopolis is stupid for reasons beside "it's impractical"....)

Deleted member 94708

Except NYC isn't really all that dense for a city. Even Manhattan proper, which is really more business district than apartment buildings in my eyes, has a density twice that of NYC.

What?

NYC is denser than almost any developed world city. It’s denser, based on demarcated borders, than Singapore, Tokyo, or Shanghai. Manhattan is denser than any residential district in Tokyo or Beijing and damned near as dense as Huangpu in Shanghai, which is probably the densest bit of humanity not crowded into a horrific slum somewhere.

I've whipped up two different maps for the conclusion of the latest chapter of my TL, and I'm struggling to decide which one I prefer; one has the benefit of being made with better access to base maps and just feels cleaner in general, but the other I think probably has the "better" split of Perú.

South America 1835.png
South America 1835 v2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.