Map Thread XX

May I ask, where did you get the blank map from?
I made it
Feel free to use it if you want but bear in mind that the Netherlands is the 1600 coast not the modern one
lLxdoGu.png

P1RfRqR.jpg

ustashe were couped by croatian peasant party and supporters in themilitary

And yet, this Croatia has borders of ustashe wet dream. And almost a third of the population are ethnic Serbs who will never agree to live in a "Croatia" like this, while Serbia is humiliated and stripped for nothing. In fact, such borders in the Balkans at that time were simply impossible without active imposition of force from the outside. Because yugoslav partisans had sufficient strength to fill power vacuum here, even without direct assistance of the Soviet Union. And western allies (primarily Great Britain) have always insisted on need to restore pre-war status quo in relation to states occupied by the axis. No one of the major Alied powers will allow to be preserv nazi-drawn borders in eastern Europe, perhaps with VERY minor exceptions. So there is no question of whether Yugoslavia will be restored after Allied victory or not, only question is what kind of regime this Yugoslavia will have.

@sans1shashlik @Dragorun Well, while ww2 eras borders of Croatia seems also unlikely to me, I can imagine at least one explanation for them: Serbia was taken over by communist and "post-Ustashe" regime is backed by wallies as a buffer against it (or vice versa - communist croatia against royalist serbia...)

Last edited:
@sans1shashlik @Dragorun Well, while ww2 eras borders of Croatia seems also unlikely to me, I can imagine at least one explanation for them: Serbia was taken over by communist and "post-Ustashe" regime is backed by wallies as a buffer against it (or vice versa - communist croatia against royalist serbia...)

It wasn't until a couple years after war's end that US-USSR confrontation really got going: any 1944 settlement is not going to give Croatia Ustashe borders. This is like German fantasy of 1944 anti-Nazi military coup retaining early 1939 borders Germany.

The Persian Empire (Also known as the Achaemenid Empire) is considered as one of the most important empires to ever exist, Their culture, Language, and influence would affect both Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, and largely the world itself. The Persians expansion into Europe is said to have begun with their invasion of Thrace and Greece. Greece itself was very hard to conquer and is also a popular subject of alternate history. The Athens and Spartans would have a falling out in their relations as the Athenians would belive that fighting against a major empire was impossible and they and their navy fled Greece and inhabited Croscia. The Spartans would soon regret this as they would soon fall into the might of the Persians thanks to their larger troop population. Although the Persians did conquer Greece they would allow the greek kings to rule their lands as long the pledge loyalty to the Persian emperor, think of a Govoner in the USA.

The Persians would soon conquer and expanded across the Balkans and North Africa, as they would begin facing rivalry with Carthage, the Roman Republic as well as the Athens Corsica. Then one man came along and change everything. Alexander (yes the same Alexander the Great). Alexander was the son of a ruler of the Macedonian province. Alexander would soon grow through the ranks as the leading general of the Persian army. He would conquer Sicily and North Italy and Oman. Later in 333 the Persian emperor, Darius III was assassinated. With this Alexander and his allies would take power to become the first Greek emperor of Achaemenid. Alexander the Great is considered as one of the greatest kings and warriors of all time, even rivalling Cyrus the Great. Alexander would triple size expanded conquering Carthage, Rome and most of Gaul. Eventually, alexander would conquer the remaining Athens on Corsica.

It should be noted that greek culture has affected Persia in many ways. Just like the Romans in our world the greek conquest would influence the Romans, Greek culture would affect the Persians, beginning its own form of Hellenization. In the east, the Persians would get into conflict with both China and India. Thanks to Alexander and his later descendants would conquer most of India. By 115 AD the Persians would reach to their heights, ruling from West to East.

The Great Persian World.png

Authors note that this timeline is not met to be realistic.

Anyone know if the reddish area is supposed to show the capital or if it is just showing smaller subdivisions as an example?
It's showing example subdivisions - each of the square departments would have been divided into 9 districts, which would have been divided into 9 cantons.

It's showing example subdivisions - each of the square departments would have been divided into 9 districts, which would have been divided into 9 cantons.
“Hi, my house sits on a point divided by four departments… In which jurisdiction do I reside?“
“Have you paid all four departmental taxes yet?”
“What? No, I can’t possibly afford that.”
“WE GOT ANOTHER ONE FOR THE GUILLOTINE!”

“Hi, my house sits on a point divided by four departments… In which jurisdiction do I reside?“
“Have you paid all four departmental taxes yet?”
“What? No, I can’t possibly afford that.”
“WE GOT ANOTHER ONE FOR THE GUILLOTINE!”
Taxes would be at the municipal (the commune) or the national level though.

Concrete.

More concrete.

You mean the concrete fish, concrete birds, concrete trees, and concrete deer which dot the landscape for variety and target practice?

And where there’s a US government subcontract for domestic concrete operations shipped overseas (with all costs covered), there’s definitely a will.

Now I want to see a similar scenario of the US owning the barrier islands of the Low Countries (make ‘em communist; whatever) just to have a true American contractor concretewank.

Some of the areas have indeed made use of concrete in order to create "dry" land on former wetlands suitable for building on. You know what happened? The water floats on top of the concrete. The houses in those areas have some of the worst flooding problem (like, 2-3 times a decade the ground floor needs total redecorating due to floods) in the region.

Hong Kong is built on poor soil as well. It takes a lot of work and concrete to keep buildings up there, especially during the rainy season. Where there's a will there's a way.

Hong Kong only has to handle the floodwaters from a tiny area (even the mainland part has a tiny watershed). Morecambe Bay handles the run-off from a large swathe of Cumbria and Lancashire. It's an entirely different scale of problem.