Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies and gentlemen, after a one month, one week and one-day hiatus, I present to you: the NEDERLANDSE KEIZERRIJK.

As it happened with the Byzantine and Ottoman maps, there isn't much lore for this one, so I'll just give a short description of each region presented on the map.

First is, of course, the Netherlands. The Metropole, The Sireland. It's, well, rich and highly developed, and it's basically Benelux, but slightly larger. It is ruled by the House of Orange-Nassau, its current monarch being Albert I. There are three important dukes here - the Duke of Brabant (Johan V, brother of Albert), the Duke of Flanders (Philip VIII [the OTL King of the Belgians]) and the Duke of Luxemburg (Henri [same man as OTL]). Important cities here are Amsterdam, Brussels, Antwerp, Rotterdam, The Hague, Triers, Groningen, Liege, Ghent, Brugge, etcetera.

Next up are the West African cities (West-Afrikaanse steden). These are just a bunch of OTL Dutch forts that the Netherlands retained and they grew into proper cities, except for Coenraadsburg, which is a city at the mouth of the Forcados River.

The Dutch make it to South Africa (Afrikaans: Zœyt-Afrika) around the same time as OTL and send more colonists there. I'm not at all a South African history aficionado, so I can't delve into the details. Also, the Eternal Anglo doesn't take it away from our orange friends. Important cities: Johannesbœrg, Kaapstad, Pretorië, Blœmfontein, Potgieterstad (Upington), Nelspruit, Vooruitzigt (Kimberley), Pietersburg (Polokwane) and Mosjawenk (Gaborone).

Still with Africa: to the very south of it, the Dutch possess the Kerguelen, here called Nachtegaal, islands (broken up in three parts in the map because of how far-spread the islands are). Let's just suppose that they're more hospitable, and thus there are more Dutch people down there.

Suriname is called Soerenant ITTL. The Dutch called it Surrenant in 1617, and I just thought Soerenant looked better. Simple as. Originally it was going to be just Suriname because French Guiana was a German (HRE) possession called New Hanau, but I decided against it because I replaced that shitty HRE possession with something larger... You'll see, someday (read: when I get to it). Largest cities: Nieuw Delft and Amaliastad (Paramaribo and Cayenne, respectively, named after Frederick Henry's hometown and his wife).

Aurelia (Aurelian Frisian: Auräälje, Aureliaans: Aurelië), also known as New Holland (Aurelian Frisian: Nüwe Hôlläänt, Aureliaans: Niewe Hollant) is western Australia, but greener. Australia is total ASB ITTL since it's got very big geological differences from its OTLs counterpart. Yeah, ASB stuff features prominently in many areas of my map... Anyway, Aurelia was colonized by the Dutch starting with visits in the early 17th century, more expeditions by the middle of the century, and proper colonization at the very end of it. Frisians migrated in very high numbers there. Don't ask for reasons, I don't have them. Biggest cities: Lauwerseach, Diemenstêd, New Dokkum and Hillige Willibrord fan de Kap (placement not yet decided... one of them has to be OTLs Perth, though)

The Dutch also have a ton of ports and exclaves in India and Indonesia which are important trade hubs. In Indonesia, they've got the ports of Betuwestad, Soerabaja, Lampoeng and Bengkoelen. In India, they've got Soeratte, Poelikat, Jaggernaikpoeram, among others. In East Asia, they hold the port of Wiehawijt and have a significant presence in the Island of Jeju (Quelpaert) and many ports in Japan. Most of these, however, are not Dutch possessions, but I still marked them as such because of their importance for the Dutch in the area. The only actual possession they have in Japan is Desjima.

View attachment 700624
Anything special with New Holland being the only place with two spellings shows?

TNO: The End of a Unified China

STATUS REPORT
July 21, 1982

It's over, Mr. President.
While what happened was unsurprising, It was still very interesting that Prime Minister Takagi would even consider this option of breaking China into several pieces.
We also heavily underestimated the sheer brutality that the National Protection Army would enact on their fellow countrymen. Most of China lies in ruins, with casualties never seen before since the Second World War.
It all started in 1974 in Yunnan when the late Long Yun would break free from his imprisonment and overthrow his cousin Lu Han. After establishing his control over Yunnan and the neighboring province of Guizhou, Long Yun led the National Protection Army in a rampage all across China, destroying anything and anyone that either stood in their way or refused to join them. There are also reports saying that several kuomintang guerillas in the area may have joined the N.P.A. during their conquest of China.

It is still unclear why Japan took this long to react to the N.P.A.'s rampage. Some reports hint at a possible dispute within their civil government, the military, and the Kempeitai. Whatever it was, Japan would finally wake up and notice the N.P.A. when they took Shanghai and their territory in Shandong in November 1976, with their puppet state of Mengjiang being invaded the following weeks after. Japan responded immediately with the deployment of most of the I.J.A. and I.J.N. all over their sphere into China in both, reportedly, in an attempt to both prevent their loss of China and to stop the N.P.A.'s trail of destruction all over the Mainland. In response, Long Yun attempted to call on Japan's most rebellious client states in Asia, but after hearing of the destruction and brutality not one answered his call. There were initially several plans drawn up on how exactly the OFN is going to intervene on behalf of China, but again the news of the N.P.A.'s brutality swung the Public's opinion against supporting them, to our surprise actually.

The War itself was basically an even bigger bloodbath for both sides. The N.P.A.'s own tactics of slash-and-burn only proved to disadvantage them as they now lack the infrastructures and supplies to withstand a full offensive from the Japanese and their allies. Several factions within their own territory also started rebelling against them, with the Uyghurs in Xinjiang and the Tibetans being the most active against them. By 1978 Mengjiang and most of Northern China were reconquered by the Japanese, but the N.P.A. resisted down south, with Nanjing being once again a city of death as the two sides threw whatever they can at each other.
The city would fall after a year of destruction, forcing the N.P.A. to retreat back to Yunnan, where Long Yun was promptly killed by his own lieutenants in 1980. The province would fall the following year as the N.P.A. splintered into several guerilla groups that continued on fighting the Japanese until now, but despite that Japan would consider the "Western Insurrection" to be over by this year, with the Shanghai Declaration being enacted a few days ago in July 16, permanently breaking China into several pieces as a way to, reportedly, govern more efficiently and to help ease the reconstruction in each territory.

In conclusion, while it was a good idea not to intervene, this disaster could've been prevented, or at least limited to a certain scale. It also brought into light that the Japanese Military are still as brutal as ever, but after this war Japan as a whole was severely weakened economy-wise and military-wise. This could brought about more conflicts all over Asia as several rebel groups could use this opportunity to finally break free from Japan's rule, like what the rest of Maritime Southeast Asia did in the early 1970s with the revolts of Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines.

Signed.
Andrew Anderson
Office of East Asian Affairs.
-----------------------------------------

I'm aware that I was using old lore prior to TT for this one, also a whole lot of speculation as GAW isn't really fully implemented yet.
I'm also aware that I made several mistakes on China's provincial and municipal borders as most are the present day borders, but just pretend that it isn't lmao.
devup20-61f5baa8-3f15-40c9-9e03-0f237cb03297.png

TNO: The End of a Unified China​

STATUS REPORT
July 21, 1982

It's over, Mr. President.
While what happened was unsurprising, It was still very interesting that Prime Minister Takagi would even consider this option of breaking China into several pieces.
We also heavily underestimated the sheer brutality that the National Protection Army would enact on their fellow countrymen. Most of China lies in ruins, with casualties never seen before since the Second World War.
It all started in 1974 in Yunnan when the late Long Yun would break free from his imprisonment and overthrow his cousin Lu Han. After establishing his control over Yunnan and the neighboring province of Guizhou, Long Yun led the National Protection Army in a rampage all across China, destroying anything and anyone that either stood in their way or refused to join them. There are also reports saying that several kuomintang guerillas in the area may have joined the N.P.A. during their conquest of China.

It is still unclear why Japan took this long to react to the N.P.A.'s rampage. Some reports hint at a possible dispute within their civil government, the military, and the Kempeitai. Whatever it was, Japan would finally wake up and notice the N.P.A. when they took Shanghai and their territory in Shandong in November 1976, with their puppet state of Mengjiang being invaded the following weeks after. Japan responded immediately with the deployment of most of the I.J.A. and I.J.N. all over their sphere into China in both, reportedly, in an attempt to both prevent their loss of China and to stop the N.P.A.'s trail of destruction all over the Mainland. In response, Long Yun attempted to call on Japan's most rebellious client states in Asia, but after hearing of the destruction and brutality not one answered his call. There were initially several plans drawn up on how exactly the OFN is going to intervene on behalf of China, but again the news of the N.P.A.'s brutality swung the Public's opinion against supporting them, to our surprise actually.

The War itself was basically an even bigger bloodbath for both sides. The N.P.A.'s own tactics of slash-and-burn only proved to disadvantage them as they now lack the infrastructures and supplies to withstand a full offensive from the Japanese and their allies. Several factions within their own territory also started rebelling against them, with the Uyghurs in Xinjiang and the Tibetans being the most active against them. By 1978 Mengjiang and most of Northern China were reconquered by the Japanese, but the N.P.A. resisted down south, with Nanjing being once again a city of death as the two sides threw whatever they can at each other.
The city would fall after a year of destruction, forcing the N.P.A. to retreat back to Yunnan, where Long Yun was promptly killed by his own lieutenants in 1980. The province would fall the following year as the N.P.A. splintered into several guerilla groups that continued on fighting the Japanese until now, but despite that Japan would consider the "Western Insurrection" to be over by this year, with the Shanghai Declaration being enacted a few days ago in July 16, permanently breaking China into several pieces as a way to, reportedly, govern more efficiently and to help ease the reconstruction in each territory.

In conclusion, while it was a good idea not to intervene, this disaster could've been prevented, or at least limited to a certain scale. It also brought into light that the Japanese Military are still as brutal as ever, but after this war Japan as a whole was severely weakened economy-wise and military-wise. This could brought about more conflicts all over Asia as several rebel groups could use this opportunity to finally break free from Japan's rule, like what the rest of Maritime Southeast Asia did in the early 1970s with the revolts of Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines.

Signed.
Andrew Anderson
Office of East Asian Affairs.
-----------------------------------------

I'm aware that I was using old lore prior to TT for this one, also a whole lot of speculation as GAW isn't really fully implemented yet.
I'm also aware that I made several mistakes on China's provincial and municipal borders as most are the present day borders, but just pretend that it isn't lmao
i need better glasses, misread "formosa" as "pokemon"

Anything special with New Holland being the only place with two spellings shows?
It's nothing special, really. It's just that New Holland has a shitload of Frisians in it, and I wanted to add the Frisian pronunciation too. Could've added it for South Africa as well, but it didn't differ that much from Dutch (other than Zuid becoming Zœyt).

The United States of Arcadia, on the 19th of June 1921 celebrating her 150 years of independence from the United Kingdom.

Part of my ASB timeline He Actually Did It, in which Columbus sets sail to India and actually arrives there unhindered by land ...

naKbwuQ.png

been meaning to post something here for a while, but couldn't find anything that might actually be worth people's time other than this graphic/info bit for a future-history USS election. i am by no means an expert on political trajectory or anything i just tried making something that would fit into the broader context of something unfinished
USS election.png

edit: had to fix one of the subdivisions

Last edited:
I made a couple of maps about a year ago set in a world I was building and decided to continue it. Here is the Hapsburg Empire of Italy during the early 20th century.
Holy Empire of Italy.png

Kept moving East, I think you mean? When does this TL diverge from OTL, or do map telephone games keep that sort of thing really loosey-goosey?
Very loosey-goosey. Here's my map, which has nothing to do with the original map. By the time my map came up, the "camera" had shifted to the Atlantic Coast of Europe, so I figured I'd do a map on a post-colonial situation.

DkeqJiL.png

After the Berlin Conference of 1884, all of Africa fell into the hands of Europeans...well, except the North-eastern region, where a group of native states allied each other against their invaders and succesfully avoided European colonialism!

NhKA3PQ.png

These territories don't have D I R E C T R U L E F R O M A M S T E R D A M. They're independent but, like with Commonwealth realms, Albert is still their King.
We never called the British Empire the Britse Keizerrijk.
IOW, unless there's an actual emperor (keizer), the Dutch word keizerrijk is an incorrect translation of the English word empire.
It should just be Rijk.

Same is true for German, BTW.
Roman Empire -> Römisches Reich.

Status
Not open for further replies.