Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if someone could redo the Trouble Brewin'/Trouble Achieved map series but with more realism
Credits to B_Munro
empiresbefore50years-png.162018

or some kind of 'Maximum Imperialism' world and its aftermath

Last edited:
So, I finally made something I feel is (somewhat) worthy of the Map Thread. Introducing the latest edition of the "X Ways to Divide X" meme, 9 Ways to Divide the Republic of Texas (based on an AH thought process I had)
9_ways_to_divide_Texas.png

Last edited:
NAPOLEON OF THE WEST
This POD comes a few years before the Mexican War of Independence. Napoleon and Louverture are able to come to an agreement that keeps Haiti in the French Empire. This changes the calculations for Napoleon and Talleyrand with Louisiana. The bulk of Louisiana remains French for some time and never joins the US This lack of extra land weakens the US, so it never goes to war with Mexico over the OTL US Southwest and Texas. France and Mexico do fight over Texas and Florida, which were seeded with Francophones instead of Anglophones. Butterflies have slight impacts on the Mexican War of Independence-to the point where Santa Anna still seizes power but maintains the trappings of the First Mexican Empire. Further butterflies and a weaker US are what allow Santa Anna to guide Mexico to keep its massive northwestern frontier.
Qhy0GrS.png

Been in a mappy move so I did this for the MOTF

A Freedman republic that gets established in a Franco-US war. It’s not super well thought out and if I return to this, I’d actually think through that and decide if I still like it.
Well, there's the whole "large scale ethnic cleansing of white people" thing you'd need to get a Freedman state that large...

Edit: and the northern expansion of west Florida must also be war gains, since the area was recognized as US territory well before the Louisiana not-purchase.

1800.jpg

Last edited:
Well, there's the whole "large scale ethnic cleansing of white people" thing you'd need to get a Freedman state that large...
I dunno, like, there's nothing saying a freedmen's republic would ever have to be one hundred percent Black, and considering the fact that large parts of the area were majority enslaved before the OTL Civil War (including nearly the entire state of South Carolina), I think the demographics work out significantly better than you might think. That's not to say that there wouldn't be population movement: I can see a lot of White plantation owners emigrating after the confiscation of their lands and emancipation of their human "property", plus non-slaver White people uncomfortable with the idea of Black majority rule leaving for the whiter Upper South; there would also certainly be large-scale movement of Freedmen from further north seeking a better life somewhere they would be guaranteed to be enfranchised. I just don't think any of that at all necessarily requires "large-scale ethnic cleansing of White people".

I dunno, like, there's nothing saying a freedmen's republic would ever have to be one hundred percent Black, and considering the fact that large parts of the area were majority enslaved before the OTL Civil War (including nearly the entire state of South Carolina), I think the demographics work out significantly better than you might think. That's not to say that there wouldn't be population movement: I can see a lot of White plantation owners emigrating after the confiscation of their lands and emancipation of their human "property", plus non-slaver White people uncomfortable with the idea of Black majority rule leaving for the whiter Upper South; there would also certainly be large-scale movement of Freedmen from further north seeking a better life somewhere they would be guaranteed to be enfranchised. I just don't think any of that at all necessarily requires "large-scale ethnic cleansing of White people".

Both Georgia and Alabama * were over 50% white (even South Carolina over 40%) and if you think white southerners of the era would peaceably abandon their lands and property to black people you have another think coming. This requires not merely a US defeat, but total US surrender, French military occupation of the place, arming the black population, disarming the white population, and dealing with the inevitable white rebellions. The US itself is going to be irredentist as hell.

* - the northern parts of Alabama included in this freedman state were rather whiter than the areas further south annexed by Louisiana, and ironically were the counties opposed to the southern secession OTL.

Sadly, looking at Haiti as an example, it seems that violence and atrocities are inevitable from both sides. The Freedmen would only be able to succeed in their ambitions with French aid - something that might see the French derided as race-traitors by the rest of Europe and America.

The Freedmen would only be able to succeed in their ambitions with French aid - something that might see the French derided as race-traitors by the rest of Europe and America.

Yeah, as I said, this requires French boots on the ground: Haiti succeeded without outside help only because blacks outnumbered whites by better than ten to one.

I have a little explaining to do.

Normally, every year on the 28th August, I'll post a big show-peice map here on the map thread to celebrate the anniversary of my joining the site. It's a weird tradition I'll admit, but it's a good excuse to get mapping again, especially after a long hiatus. For a variety of RL reasons I haven't been that active on the forums; the last map I posted here was done this time last year, while my TL has lain dormant since last November. Luckily, my old habit was the perfect excuse to be a little more active again.

Any new maps from this world in progress? :)

To answer your next question, Rhodesia was basically conquered. It doesn't fit into the society... The reality, though, is that Salisbury and Lourenço Marques struggle with maintaining a separate identity in a world of mandatory Afrikaans education, a government that's outright hostile to the legacy of the British Empire, and having their borders "defended" by SA soldiers...
You know something, that is rather ironic...

Status
Not open for further replies.