Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
1632934468825.png

This is a WIP with a Nazi victory, this is the world in January 1968. Dark red are the areas with no formal government. Feel free to ask about stuff and suggest things

I like how you colored the various Finnish provinces as different than Russia, but didn’t give them darker grey borders. Not often that you see so many areas with the same ethnic group right next to each other getting autonomy.
That was actually something from the basemap I used, which I kept when I changed the colours to match the colour scheme I was using. I also did some research when making this map, and apparently the Finnish provinces really were autonomous, as a Grand Duchy. Interestingly, IOTL, the Russian Empire actually encouraged the Finnish national awakening when that happened, as a way of weakening Swedish influence, although in this altered timeline they’re way more hesitant about that because of all the rebellions and breakaway states they’re dealing with. They don't want to have to deal with another one, and there's already a fear that the Latvians and Estonians will attempt to break away.

This may also be one the only map I have seen showing those areas that revolted and declared independence from Monaco. Are they slated to be annexed soon by Piedmont/Sardinia here, or if Italian unification not the pull it was IOTL?
Piedmont-Sardinia will probably annex them sooner or later, yeah, but Italian unification is… complicated. Sardinia-Piedmont are the main nation pushing for that and at this point they’re still focused on the north, especially because they’re allied with Naples and Tuscany, who at the moment would prefer to stay independent. The various Italian republics (Venice, Tuscany, Rome, and Sicily) aren’t really interested in expanding much, although they do want to establish republican governments in Naples, Tuscany, and Lombardy.

I think I can see an added layer of color around Holstein that is not around Schleswig.
Yeah, it’s hard to spot because it’s similar to Holstein’s main colour, but that’s the German Confederation’s border. Based on the maps I could find, Holstein was part of it but Schleswig was not.

It does seem a bit odd that the German Empire (they the ones using that title? Do they have an Emperor?) has Bremerhaven and Cuxhaven. Almost amusing to think of them as the rump governments of Bremen and Hamburg.
Yeah, the historical 1848 German Empire controlled territories that were mostly in the southwest as well as in Saxony and just north of Bavaria, but they also had Mecklenburg and a few small regions in the north, though they claimed basically all of the German Confederation. ITTL, Bremerhaven and Cuxhaven were some of the territories outside their core area which they managed to hold on to in the peace treaties with other German states. They do have an emperor, although it's an elected position

What is the situation in Hungary? Equal status for those regions or are the non-Magyar ones autonomous? Banat is bound to be filled with Germans and Serbs.
Hungary at this point is pretty reluctant to give the non-Magyar regions autonomy, although with more and more calls for it, they might not have much of a choice. Things are getting pretty tense in regions like Banat and Transylvania, and the fact that Hungary’s been putting more troops in those regions to discourage rebellions has only made the tensions worse.

That actually plays into the strategies of the Austrian and French Blocs in the event that the Saxony Crisis does lead to war. Basically, Prussia is considered the biggest threat – the Italian monarchies would mostly be kept busy by the Italian republics, and Russia would take a while to mobilise properly – so the plan is to launch a massive invasion of Prussia from multiple fronts to force a Prussian surrender as quickly as possible. But Hungary is still relatively strong, and close enough to where the fighting would be to cause problems for the invasion, so Austria, Poland, Ukraine, and Moldavia-Wallachia would encourage and supply rebellions against the Hungarian Empire to keep Hungary busy long enough for the invasion of Prussia to hopefully work. Then France would help out the Italian republics while the Eastern European states would prepare to fight Russia.

Quite an enjoyable map, altogether.
Thank you!

I suppose I should ask about Saxony, though. Where the Prussians wanting to keep it as it is with its own Saxon ruler, install one of the Dukes from Thuringia in charge, slice up Saxony between a couple of those dukes to keep the area divided, or to just swallow it up themselves and make the productive area a cash cow?
The Prussian plan is to annex Saxony but as an autonomous region, with its own Saxon ruler swearing allegiance to the Prussian one. Kind of similar to what the historical German Empire did when that formed in 1871.

The year is 1914, and there’s an east wind coming all the same, such a wind as never blew on England yet. Mycroft Holmes is 67 years old already and the German-Hungarian-Russian Alliance is out for blood. But it’s God’s own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared…
CxtZjxb.png
The British Empire is the largest empire in history and the world's foremost power. It does not matter whether the current Prime Minister's name is Lord Bellinger or Trelawney Hope; in fact, Mycroft Holmes is the British government.
Tibet. After his defeat of Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes spent two years in Tibet. This included some time living in Lhasa, where he spent several days with the head Lama himself (“The Empty House”).
The Sublime State of Iran. Holmes then passed through Persia, looked in at Mecca, and paid a short but interesting visit to the Khalifa at Khartoum, the results of which he has communicated to the Foreign Office (“The Empty House”).
The United States of Brazil. Isadora Klein was a celebrated beauty and adventuress who resided in London. Isadora was pure Spanish, the real blood of the masterful Conquistadors, and her people have been leaders in Pernambuco, Brazil for generations (“The Three Gables”). Portugal was annexed to Castile during the 1383-1385 war.
The Abyssinian Empire. In 1899, Sherlock Holmes solved the case of two Coptic patriarchs (“The Retired Colourman”). The gratitude of the Emperor of Abyssinia significantly increased British influence in the region.
The Republic of San Pedro. San Pedro is a Central American republic with a white and green flag infamous for its dictator Don Juan Murillo, who was overthrown in 1886 and fled into exile in Europe with much of his fortune (“Wisteria Lodge”).
The South African Republic. There were three Boer Wars. The First Boer War, which ended in March 1881; the Second Boer War, which ended in May 1902 (“The Three Garridebs”); and the Third Boer War, which ended in January 1903 (“The Blanched Soldier”). The Boers referred to the three wars as the Freedom Wars. Over the following decade, many returned to South Africa and never signed the undertaking. In 1914, the bittereinders and their allies took part in the uprising to re-establish the South African Republic in the Transvaal.
The Ubangi country is a Belgian colony. Native shamans use a powder of radix pedis diaboli as an ordeal drug (“The Devil's Foot”).
Senegambia is a French colony. There was a series of crimes committed by the Andaman islanders (“The Sign of the Four”).
The Netherland-Sumatra Company is a corporation founded by a government-directed consolidation of several rival Dutch trading companies. Colonization of the island of Sumatra was greatly slowed down by infallibly deadly and horribly contagious Sumatran diseases (“The Dying Detective”), giant rats of Sumatra (“The Sussex Vampire”), the colossal schemes of Baron Maupertuis (“The Reigate Squires “) and scandals in the ruling family of Holland (“A Scandal in Bohemia”, ”A Case of Identity”).
The Grand Principality of Transylvania. According to the Holmes's Index, there have been some cases involving vampires in Transylvania and Hungary. (“The Sussex Vampire”)
The Holy Polish Empire. Irene Adler pursued a career in opera as a contralto, performing as prima donna at the Imperial Opera of Warsaw. (“A Scandal in Bohemia”) Since the Imperial Operas in the Russian Empire could only be opened in St. Petersburg and Moscow, it is obvious that Poland was an independent empire.
Little Russia. In 1887, Holmes was summoned to Odessa on the case of Trepoff murder (“A Scandal in Bohemia”). Dmitry Trepoff was the son of the St. Petersburg governor who was expected to have a great career in the Ministry of Internal Affairs. One way or another, when the 1905 nihilist revolution broke out in Russia, the organization of its armed suppression left much to be desired and Little Russia gained independence. In addition, Grodno is located on the territory of Little Russia (“The Hound of the Baskervilles”), so it is obvious that “Belorussia” and “Malorussia” have never been separated.
The Italian Republic. The Red Circle was a Neapolitan society, which was allied to the old Carbonari, but unlike the latter, it did not cease to exist in 1831 and continued into the 20th century (“The Red Circle”). When the nihilists started the revolution in Russia, the Red Circle also began a coup in their country, and eventually seized power.
The Kingdom of Bohemia. Wilhelm von Ormstein, the hereditary king of Bohemia, was a client of Sherlock Holmes. (“A Scandal in Bohemia”)
The Kingdom of Scandinavia. Sherlock Holmes assisted the royal family of Scandinavia at least twice - in 1888 and in 1891. (“The Noble Bachelor”, “The Final Problem”)
The Sultanate of Turkey. In 1903, Sherlock Holmes performed some services for the Sultan of Turkey on an issue of immediate and critical importance. ("The Blanched Soldier") As a result of Holmes's actions, the Ilinden-Preobrazhenie uprising was prevented, but later Turkey became a de facto protectorate of the British Empire.
The Kingdom of Siam. In March 1888, Mycroft Holmes was personally involved in resolving the situation in Siam. ("A Scandal in Bohemia")
The United States of America is being torn apart by secret societies and criminal organizations. The most notable are the Irish secret societies (“The Valley of Fear”), Mormons (“A Study in Scarlet”) and the Ku Klux Klan (“The Five Orange Pips”).

Heh. Loved this! I've felt that the Holmes stories took place in an alternate universe, ever since I ran into mention of the Kingdom of Scandinavia, but this goes into some real detail.

Portugal was annexed to Castile during the 1383-1385 war.

You mean 1883-1885?

One quibble: there isn't much in the stories to indicate the Secret Societies in the US are actually threatening the basic stability of the USA, and I'm fairly sure that Doyle himself didn't think so. I can buy Mormon terrorists fighting for an independent Utah, since fantastical notions about Mormons were common enough in the UK, and an overall more lawless US than OTL, but there's no indication that the KKK is anything but what it was OTL: an organization dedicated to re-establishing white supremacy in the south, in which they and other "leading lights" of southern society were successful.

In the story itself: Eventually, in the year 1869, the movement rather suddenly collapsed, although there have been sporadic outbreaks of the same sort since that date.’

You mean 1883-1885?
No, I was trying to somehow justify the Spanish colonization of Brazil.
One quibble: there isn't much in the stories to indicate the Secret Societies in the US are actually threatening the basic stability of the USA, and I'm fairly sure that Doyle himself didn't think so. I can buy Mormon terrorists fighting for an independent Utah, since fantastical notions about Mormons were common enough in the UK, and an overall more lawless US than OTL, but there's no indication that the KKK is anything but what it was OTL: an organization dedicated to re-establishing white supremacy in the south, in which they and other "leading lights" of southern society were successful.
Well, in general, this is more of a zone of influence than separatism. And the threat to stability is based on my subjective feeling that almost every time the United States is mentioned it is associated with some kind of pseudo-Masonic society.

No, I was trying to somehow justify the Spanish colonization of Brazil.

Ah, ok: I wouldn't have thought a powerful Castilian family in Brazil necessarily means a Spanish colonization (there are powerful Jewish families in the US NE, but that doesn't mean the US was colonized by Jews. ) But if you want to have a Spanish ruled Portugal, you don't have to go that far back: Spain and Portugal were united OTL 1580-1640, just avoid the divorce of OTL (and have at least part of Brazil come under direct Spanish rule some time later).

sino-war.png

(Railways in Red)
(Cities in black Circles)

A peek into a little project of mine I've been exploring, specifically trying to come up with a more realistic scenario in which the Japanese avoid WW2, however their alliance with Thailand, occupation of French Indochina, and eventual defeat of the KMT puts them in the position of being a 3rd world superpower during the cold war. This map shows the military situation in late 1940, immediately after the Japanese occupation of Tonkin. The POD largely revolves around Japan being able to capitalize on certain victories in '38 and '39 while avoiding some defeats, allowing them to gain the initiative in the conflict and shatter the Chinese defense in crucial areas.

Most importantly, I must credit and thank the following videos for providing historical context and the color scheme/visual presentation:
and

Criticism is welcomed and encouraged, I'm sort of experimenting with an embryonic idea that I found interesting, but any sort of additional information or details I'm oblivious to is very helpful.

One quibble: there isn't much in the stories to indicate the Secret Societies in the US are actually threatening the basic stability of the USA
I have a theory that it was caused by a successful French intervention in Mexico due to Franz Joseph's assassination meaning Max is to busy giving Bohemia autonomy within the empire and so Napoleon just goes with the more palatable Interbide restoration.

NO 1964 NO LULA NO BOLSONARO.png

Don't know if this belongs in graphics or maps so just to be sure I will put in both. There a few minor divergences from OTL :

• The Attempted Coup of 1964 was discovered shortly before JFK assassination. It's a failed coup like many other attempted coups in Latin America​
  • Latin America stayed more stable during the Cold War and is also much more anti-American​
  • As consequence, neither Lula or Bolsonaro see the Presidency. One stays a drunken syndicalist and the other a disgruntled army capitalist captain​
  • The rest of the world goes as OTL until 2001, first with the 9/11 attack taking out most of the US government. In 2008 with the election of John McCain running against Hillary Clinton. The Republicans leave the White House in 2016. Who could be the Democrat winner in 2016 ? Honestly I don't know but I know the Republicans can't hold for over 4 mandates even with a more politically and numerically deadly 9/11​
  • In 2020 with the excuse of the terrorists in the Tri-Border Area (TBA) of Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina, Brazil together with Paraguay and Argentina is invaded due to these nations refusal to handover potential suspects and sixty years of anti-Americanism​
What happens is the division of Brazil. I was inspired by a few historical entities : Congo Free State(see Amazon and Acre), Vichy France with Petain (see State of Brazil and Doria) and Baltic Resistance against the Nazis and the Soviet Union plus the Rwandan Patriotic Front ( the Revolutionary Patriotic Front ), this former is a rag tag mish mash of National Bolsheviks, Integralists, Communists, Monarchists and others who want the gringo out of their country.

Don't know if this belongs in graphics or maps so just to be sure I will put in both. There a few minor divergences from OTL :

• The Attempted Coup of 1964 was discovered shortly before JFK assassination. It's a failed coup like many other attempted coups in Latin America​
  • Latin America stayed more stable during the Cold War and is also much more anti-American​
  • As consequence, neither Lula or Bolsonaro see the Presidency. One stays a drunken syndicalist and the other a disgruntled army capitalist captain​
  • The rest of the world goes as OTL until 2001, first with the 9/11 attack taking out most of the US government. In 2008 with the election of John McCain running against Hillary Clinton. The Republicans leave the White House in 2016. Who could be the Democrat winner in 2016 ? Honestly I don't know but I know the Republicans can't hold for over 4 mandates even with a more politically and numerically deadly 9/11​
  • In 2020 with the excuse of the terrorists in the Tri-Border Area (TBA) of Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina, Brazil together with Paraguay and Argentina is invaded due to these nations refusal to handover potential suspects and sixty years of anti-Americanism​
What happens is the division of Brazil. I was inspired by a few historical entities : Congo Free State(see Amazon and Acre), Vichy France with Petain (see State of Brazil and Doria) and Baltic Resistance against the Nazis and the Soviet Union plus the Rwandan Patriotic Front ( the Revolutionary Patriotic Front ), this former is a rag tag mish mash of National Bolsheviks, Integralists, Communists, Monarchists and others who want the gringo out of their country.
Cool map, but I can't see this plausibly happening. America doesn't unilaterally invade massive nations because they feel like it, even if they are intensely anti-American. If that were the case, we would be talking about the Venezuelan and Cuban wars right now. It's much more likely for the CIA to engage in some alt-Operation Condor, with clandestine support of insurgencies, encouraging dissent and whatnot. Even if America invaded, their excuse is even flimsier then our excuse in Vietnam or Iraq: expect backlash both at home and abroad on a truly epic scale. Even the war hawks and neocons would be aghast at the amount of money it would take to invade Brazil, Argentina or Paraguay, nevermind all three at the same time. Sometime has to go really, really wrong for this scenario to happen.

Cool map,
Thanks.
but I can't see this plausibly happening. America doesn't unilaterally invade massive nations because they feel like it,
What about Syria ? https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/...owman-end-military-presence-ndaa-defense-bill
even if they are intensely anti-American. If that were the case, we would be talking about the Venezuelan and Cuban wars right now. It's much more likely for the CIA to engage in some alt-Operation Condor
There is the precedent of Iraq. You can invade for the said flimsiest of reason but that's not what you are telling the public.
with clandestine support of insurgencies, encouraging dissent and whatnot. Even if America invaded, their excuse is even flimsier then our excuse in Vietnam or Iraq: expect backlash both at home and abroad on a truly epic scale. Even the war hawks and neocons would be aghast at the amount of money it would take to invade Brazil, Argentina or Paraguay, nevermind all three at the same time.
I would agree on this if we hadn't seen it happen for the last two decades.
Sometime has to go really, really wrong for this scenario to happen.
I definitively agree on this.

There is the precedent of Iraq. You can invade for the said flimsiest of reason but that's not what you are telling the public.
That's correct, however Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil is a whole other beast then simply invading Iraq. After the humiliation during the Gulf War most members of of the American government though of Iraqis as pushovers and the war to be quick and easy affair. Furthermore despite the bullshit reasons for invading Iraq, it was certainly true that Saddam was genocidal totalitarian nutjob.

No amount of self-delusion can convince the American government that invading Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay would be a good idea. First of all, I assume that all three are at least nominal democracies. There's your "overthrowing genocidal dictator" excuse thrown right out the window. Secondly, Brazil is huge. It's 18x the size of Iraq with 5x the population. Add in Argentina and Paraguay, and you are invading the equivalent of two Australias.

Neocons might be really stupid sometimes, but even they know that this is suicide. I doubt the US even gets as far as you show in this scenario: there is just far too much ground to cover, nevermind Brazilian resistance. America likes to pick on soft, easy targets to do their interventionist wars. Why did we intervene in Grenada and Panama, but not Cuba? Because Cuba is a challenge. Of course, Iraq and Afghanistan were the exceptions, but the US was convinced that the Iraq would collapse within a few weeks (which they did initially, at least) and Afghanistan was because of the national rage from the 9/11 attacks. Since you said the US invaded as an "excuse", I reckon that the terrorists in the triborder area did nothing of the sort. No national rage = no reason to embark on stupid, pointless war that America is guaranteed to lose. Look, neocons always talk about invading Iran over something or another, but we haven't done it yet. The reason? the US knows it will lose. Same point here.
We have limited presence in Syria. Nothing like this map shows. Besides, Syria (and also Iraq) were easy pickings compared to invading Brazil, Paraguay or Argentina, neverminded all three, as I explained above.

1633048909913.png
Part of my Discordiale project that I've been working on and off for like two years now, I present to you the Anglo-Turkish War. For the context of the timeline, the TL;DR is basically Britain and France never ally each other, Germany gains an upper hand in the Agadir Crisis, then WW1 starts the same way, but Germany manages to not lose their momentum early on and they kick France out of the war pretty soon.​

Part of my Discordiale project that I've been working on and off for like two years now, I present to you the Anglo-Turkish War. For the context of the timeline, the TL;DR is basically Britain and France never ally each other, Germany gains an upper hand in the Agadir Crisis, then WW1 starts the same way, but Germany manages to not lose their momentum early on and they kick France out of the war pretty soon.​
The only thing it's missing is Hashemi Iraq!

View attachment 683862

(Railways in Red)
(Cities in black Circles)

A peek into a little project of mine I've been exploring, specifically trying to come up with a more realistic scenario in which the Japanese avoid WW2, however their alliance with Thailand, occupation of French Indochina, and eventual defeat of the KMT puts them in the position of being a 3rd world superpower during the cold war. This map shows the military situation in late 1940, immediately after the Japanese occupation of Tonkin. The POD largely revolves around Japan being able to capitalize on certain victories in '38 and '39 while avoiding some defeats, allowing them to gain the initiative in the conflict and shatter the Chinese defense in crucial areas.

Most importantly, I must credit and thank the following videos for providing historical context and the color scheme/visual presentation:
and

Criticism is welcomed and encouraged, I'm sort of experimenting with an embryonic idea that I found interesting, but any sort of additional information or details I'm oblivious to is very helpful.
Interesting scenario.
My only reservation is the invasion of Tonkin by Japan. With Japan attacking a French colonial possession while at war with Germany in Europe, may cause other allied states to treat Japan as a de facto Axis member.
Moreover, even if Japan managed to keep its distance from Europe, the invasion of a European colony by an expansionist Japan could worry the other European colonial powers and motivate them to confront Tokyo.

The year is 1914, and there’s an east wind coming all the same, such a wind as never blew on England yet. Mycroft Holmes is 67 years old already and the German-Hungarian-Russian Alliance is out for blood. But it’s God’s own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared…
CxtZjxb.png
The British Empire is the largest empire in history and the world's foremost power. It does not matter whether the current Prime Minister's name is Lord Bellinger or Trelawney Hope; in fact, Mycroft Holmes is the British government.
Tibet. After his defeat of Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes spent two years in Tibet. This included some time living in Lhasa, where he spent several days with the head Lama himself (“The Empty House”).
The Sublime State of Iran. Holmes then passed through Persia, looked in at Mecca, and paid a short but interesting visit to the Khalifa at Khartoum, the results of which he has communicated to the Foreign Office (“The Empty House”).
The United States of Brazil. Isadora Klein was a celebrated beauty and adventuress who resided in London. Isadora was pure Spanish, the real blood of the masterful Conquistadors, and her people have been leaders in Pernambuco, Brazil for generations (“The Three Gables”). Portugal was annexed to Castile during the 1383-1385 war.
The Abyssinian Empire. In 1899, Sherlock Holmes solved the case of two Coptic patriarchs (“The Retired Colourman”). The gratitude of the Emperor of Abyssinia significantly increased British influence in the region.
The Republic of San Pedro. San Pedro is a Central American republic with a white and green flag infamous for its dictator Don Juan Murillo, who was overthrown in 1886 and fled into exile in Europe with much of his fortune (“Wisteria Lodge”).
The South African Republic. There were three Boer Wars. The First Boer War, which ended in March 1881; the Second Boer War, which ended in May 1902 (“The Three Garridebs”); and the Third Boer War, which ended in January 1903 (“The Blanched Soldier”). The Boers referred to the three wars as the Freedom Wars. Over the following decade, many returned to South Africa and never signed the undertaking. In 1914, the bittereinders and their allies took part in the uprising to re-establish the South African Republic in the Transvaal.
The Ubangi country is a Belgian colony. Native shamans use a powder of radix pedis diaboli as an ordeal drug (“The Devil's Foot”).
Senegambia is a French colony. There was a series of crimes committed by the Andaman islanders (“The Sign of the Four”).
The Netherland-Sumatra Company is a corporation founded by a government-directed consolidation of several rival Dutch trading companies. Colonization of the island of Sumatra was greatly slowed down by infallibly deadly and horribly contagious Sumatran diseases (“The Dying Detective”), giant rats of Sumatra (“The Sussex Vampire”), the colossal schemes of Baron Maupertuis (“The Reigate Squires “) and scandals in the ruling family of Holland (“A Scandal in Bohemia”, ”A Case of Identity”).
The Grand Principality of Transylvania. According to the Holmes's Index, there have been some cases involving vampires in Transylvania and Hungary. (“The Sussex Vampire”)
The Holy Polish Empire. Irene Adler pursued a career in opera as a contralto, performing as prima donna at the Imperial Opera of Warsaw. (“A Scandal in Bohemia”) Since the Imperial Operas in the Russian Empire could only be opened in St. Petersburg and Moscow, it is obvious that Poland was an independent empire.
Little Russia. In 1887, Holmes was summoned to Odessa on the case of Trepoff murder (“A Scandal in Bohemia”). Dmitry Trepoff was the son of the St. Petersburg governor who was expected to have a great career in the Ministry of Internal Affairs. One way or another, when the 1905 nihilist revolution broke out in Russia, the organization of its armed suppression left much to be desired and Little Russia gained independence. In addition, Grodno is located on the territory of Little Russia (“The Hound of the Baskervilles”), so it is obvious that “Belorussia” and “Malorussia” have never been separated.
The Italian Republic. The Red Circle was a Neapolitan society, which was allied to the old Carbonari, but unlike the latter, it did not cease to exist in 1831 and continued into the 20th century (“The Red Circle”). When the nihilists started the revolution in Russia, the Red Circle also began a coup in their country, and eventually seized power.
The Kingdom of Bohemia. Wilhelm von Ormstein, the hereditary king of Bohemia, was a client of Sherlock Holmes. (“A Scandal in Bohemia”)
The Kingdom of Scandinavia. Sherlock Holmes assisted the royal family of Scandinavia at least twice - in 1888 and in 1891. (“The Noble Bachelor”, “The Final Problem”)
The Sultanate of Turkey. In 1903, Sherlock Holmes performed some services for the Sultan of Turkey on an issue of immediate and critical importance. ("The Blanched Soldier") As a result of Holmes's actions, the Ilinden-Preobrazhenie uprising was prevented, but later Turkey became a de facto protectorate of the British Empire.
The Kingdom of Siam. In March 1888, Mycroft Holmes was personally involved in resolving the situation in Siam. ("A Scandal in Bohemia")
The United States of America is being torn apart by secret societies and criminal organizations. The most notable are the Irish secret societies (“The Valley of Fear”), Mormons (“A Study in Scarlet”) and the Ku Klux Klan (“The Five Orange Pips”).
I'm not quite sure I follow all the connections that you've made but still, I love the map!

That's correct, however Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil is a whole other beast then simply invading Iraq. After the humiliation during the Gulf War most members of of the American government though of Iraqis as pushovers and the war to be quick and easy affair. Furthermore despite the bullshit reasons for invading Iraq, it was certainly true that Saddam was genocidal totalitarian nutjob.
Ok, removing the first two countries.
No amount of self-delusion can convince the American government that invading Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay would be a good idea. First of all, I assume that all three are at least nominal democracies. There's your "overthrowing genocidal dictator" excuse thrown right out the window. Secondly, Brazil is huge. It's 18x the size of Iraq with 5x the population. Add in Argentina and Paraguay, and you are invading the equivalent of two Australias.
Do you think self delusion is the only thing needed to go to war ?
Neocons might be really stupid sometimes, but even they know that this is suicide. I doubt the US even gets as far as you show in this scenario: there is just far too much ground to cover, nevermind Brazilian resistance. America likes to pick on soft, easy targets to do their interventionist wars. Why did we intervene in Grenada and Panama, but not Cuba? Because Cuba is a challenge. Of course, Iraq and Afghanistan were the exceptions, but the US was convinced that the Iraq would collapse within a few weeks (which they did initially, at least) and Afghanistan was because of the national rage from the 9/11 attacks. Since you said the US invaded as an "excuse", I reckon that the terrorists in the triborder area did nothing of the sort. No national rage = no reason to embark on stupid, pointless war that America is guaranteed to lose. Look, neocons always talk about invading Iran over something or another, but we haven't done it yet. The reason? the US knows it will lose. Same point here.
I am not saying just neocons, it's warhaks in general, of both sides. After all, both Syria, Yemen and Lybia started during a Democratic administration.
We have limited presence in Syria. Nothing like this map shows. Besides, Syria (and also Iraq) were easy pickings compared to invading Brazil, Paraguay or Argentina, neverminded all three, as I explained above.
Fair enough.

Letting aside the invasion and occupation aspects and details, what you think of the rest of the map? The occupied states, the puppet state and the free state ?

Status
Not open for further replies.