Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
RISK map.png

The Risk Map in a WorldA base. However, I made my own lore to it.
Ps, note that since I'm using this while map as a base for the lore, the timeline may not be realistic.

In an alternate 1806, France decides to not sell the Louisiana territories. Thanks to this the US and France relations would go tense, especially in this timeline Thomas Jefferson decided to switch parties and become a federalist. In 1808, after a US ship was destroyed in Louisiana, Jefferson decided this would be a great excuse to Go to war against France. The US would join the 5th coalition and would take out Louisiana in less than a year. Because France never sells the territory, They would soon go broke and other European nations such as Prussia and Russia would join the war and would soon capture Paris in 1811. Napoleon was sent to St. Hellen island and remain there until his death in 1821. The US joining the war however would cause large political disunity. This could be because of many things such as the US going to war against France, with many not wanting to go to war with the same state that helps liberate them. Other's such as joining sides with Britain in the war, the issue of slavery and general society in general cause strife in the US>

The War of 1812 also never occurred thanks to the 5th coalition war. Because of this Canada is less united, with the US is not seen as a threat. In Europe, the bourbon kings of both Spain and France united into the Bourbon Kingdom, with the capital being Andorra la Vella. Spain would still lose their colonies though, with Gran Columbia surviving. The British meanwhile continue their colonization of Australia and South Africa. Due to the situation in Canada, many former loyalists would flee to the south African colony, establishing the Draka colony. in the 1860s, following the Mexican-American war, the Polarization of Liberals and Conservatives would finally blow. Civil war soon began. The US would later be divided into 2 states after 6 years of war. the Atlantic Coast being mostly conservative and the Pacific State being mostly liberals. That two countries would soon radicalize into authoritarian ideologies. Canada and Australia never unite and would stay as separate dominions.

By 1910, Africa and Asia have been mostly colonized, and a world war has just begun. Italy and Germany, them ottomans, Austria-Hungary and Bulgaria would all go to war against everyone else. They won and Russia pretty much collapses. Russia collapses would also coin the term "Russification" or "Russianized" as a term to replace balkanization. In the 1930s, the Atlantic and the Pacific States of America would turn ultra-radical and go full-on nazi and soviet, but more radical. There would be no world war 2 since Germany just gave up Alsace-Lorraine in the late 50sish (This is unrealistic but I'm doing what I got) by the 1990s the two US are sill a dictatorship, Russia is a balkanized state. The Italians would also annex Austria following their collapses, reforming the roman empire.

From the UAR-verse
de2bwvt-d7dbf690-c5c5-4457-b817-144bd6bf2454.png

The Union of American Realms (UAR) is a political and economic confederation of 37 member states that are located in North-Eastern North America. Its members, which are known within the UAR as realms (33) or native confederacies (4), cover a combined land area of 6,797,483 km2 and an estimated total population of about 278 million. All 37 members of the UAR recognize the Monarch-President of the Union as their respective sovereign, though the monarchy has no actual function within any of the member states of the confederation. The UAR members are governed by a unified system of laws regarding an internal single market; foreign policy; the movement of people, goods, services and capital within the confederation; inter-realm judicial and home affairs; and other policies on trade, agriculture, fisheries and regional development. That being said, each member state retains significant autonomy over matter within their borders outside of the basic policies which govern the confederation as a whole, and inter-realm policy is not wholly dictated by the confederal government.

As a result of the set up of the confederation, the handling of the CVD-19 pandemic has varied significantly depending on the particular member of the UAR in question. The UAR's confederal government is limited in its ability to set a unified approach to dealing with the pandemic and its involvement in this regard has mostly come in the form of authorizing emergency funds to individual members through legislation in the Confederal Assembly, along with the temporary suspension of certain parts of the Inter-Realm Travel Compact by the Executive Council. Queen Eleanor and the Royal Family have used their public platforms and private wealth to advocate for the containment of the virus within the confederation, but the monarchy's powers to act within any singular realm are largely non-existent.

The varied nature of the response to the pandemic, the large size of the confederation and the large but varying populations across member states, have made the UAR one of the most afflicted polities on the planet by the CVD-19 pandemic. As of August 1, 2020, the UAR's Confederal Centers for Disease Management & Oversight (CDMO) has reported a total of 3,230,118 confirmed cases of CVD-19 across all 37 member states, the second highest total of any nation. The most afflicted realm by total cases is the Governate of New York, which has had 479,534 confirmed cases of the virus as of August 1, 2020. The least afflicted realm by total cases is the Governate of Hudsonia, which has reported just 69 cases since the start of the pandemic, of which none remain active at this time. New York and Hudsonia represent the most and least populous realms in the confederation respectively, so their places at the top and bottom of total cases is somewhat expected. In terms of cases per capita (i.e., per 100k residents), the Commonwealth of Aegyptania (2,071 cases per 100k) and the Mayaimi Confederacy (2,070 cases per 100k) have been the hardest hit members of the UAR.

Regionally, the New England region has overall had the most success in controlling the spread of the virus with five of the seven realms in that region reporting less than 700 cases per 100k residents, with the region accounting for just 3.53% (114,090) of the confederations total cases despite being home to 8.43% of the UAR's population. And of New England's 114,090 cases, over 82% have been entirely within either Massachusetts Bay County (61,529 cases) and New Haven County (32,126 cases). The Lower Atlantic is the worst struck region in terms of case spread, with all three of the realms that comprise it (the Governate of Georgia and the Grand Duchies of Carolina and Palmetto) each reporting over 1,700 cases per 100k residents. But with New York's large case count, the Upper Atlantic remains the region with the most total cases at 776,017, roughly one in four of all confederation cases being in that region.

Total Cases by Confederal Census Region

- Upper Atlantic: 776,017 (24.03%)
- South West: 543,395 (16.82%)
- Lower Atlantic: 463, 998 (14.37%)
- The Floridas: 399,022 (12.35%)
- West Lakes: 258, 829 (8.01%)
- East Lakes: 227,476 (7.04%)
- Mid Atlantic: 198,900 (6.16%)
- Labrador: 198,182 (6.14%)
- New England: 114,090 (3.53%)
- First Peoples: 50,209 (1.55%)
- TOTAL: 3,320,118 (100%)

1. Governate of New York
    • 479,534 total cases
  2. Commonwealth of Riviera
    • 296,118 total cases
  3. Governate of East Florida
    • 243,913 total cases
  4. Grand Duchy of Carolina
    • 204,145 total cases
  5. Grand Duchy of Canada
    • 197,397 total cases
  6. Governate of Transylvania
    • 180,167 total cases
  7. Long Island County
    • 164,632 total cases
  8. Governate of Georgia
    • 158,265 total cases
  9. Governate of West Florida
    • 155,109 total cases
  10. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    • 131,851 total cases
  11. Chicagou County
    • 122,155 total cases
  12. Grand Duchy of Palmetto
    • 101,588 total cases
  13. Commonwealth of Virginia
    • 98,817 total cases
  14. Grand Duchy of Maryland
    • 86,677 total cases
  15. Commonwealth of Aegyptania
    • 67,110 total cases
  16. Governate of Michigan
    • 64,287 total cases
  17. Massachusetts Bay County
    • 61,529 total cases
  18. Governate of the Twin Rivers
    • 61,392 total cases
  19. Governate of Erie
    • 57,465 total cases
  20. Governate of Ohio
    • 54,016 total cases
  21. Huron County
    • 51,708 total cases
  22. Governate of Manitoba
    • 40,144 total cases
  23. Governate of Wisconsin
    • 32,421 total cases
  24. New Haven County
    • 32,126 total cases
  25. Mayaimi Confederacy
    • 27,423 total cases*
  26. Delmar County
    • 13,406 total cases
  27. Northwest Confederacy
    • 9,204 total cases
  28. Muscogean Confederacy
    • 7,773 total cases
  29. Saybrook County
    • 7,412 total cases
  30. Haudenosaunee Confederation
    • 5,809 total cases
  31. New Hampshire County
    • 5,654 total cases
  32. New Brunswick County
    • 5,470 total cases
  33. Superior County
    • 2,717 total cases
  34. New Scotland County
    • 994 total cases
  35. Governate of Vermont
    • 905 total cases
  36. Newfoundland County
    • 716 total cases
  37. Governate of Hudsonia
    • 69 total cases
* Nearly 80% of confirmed cases in the Mayaimi Confederacy are related to outbreaks in New River City (14,771) and Tequesta (7,088).
  1. Commonwealth of Aegyptania
    • 2,721 cases per 100k
  2. Mayami Confederacy
    • 2,720 cases per 100k
  3. Grand Duchy of Canada
    • 2,202 cases per 100k
  4. Governate of West Florida
    • 2,023 cases per 100k
  5. Governate of New York
    • 1,915 cases per 100k
  6. Long Island County
    • 1,908 cases per 100k
  7. Grand Duchy of Palmetto
    • 1,787 cases per 100k
  8. Governate of Georgia
    • 1,773 cases per 100k
  9. Grand Duchy of Carolina
    • 1,721 cases per 100k
  10. Commonwealth of Riviera
    • 1,611 cases per 100k
  11. Governate of Transylvania
    • 1,337 cases per 100k
  12. Grand Duchy of Maryland
    • 1,305 cases per 100k
  13. Governate of East Florida
    • 1,273 cases per 100k
  14. Chicagou County
    • 961 cases per 100k
  15. Delmar County
    • 914 cases per 100k
  16. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    • 802 cases per 100k
  17. Massachusetts Bay County
    • 802 cases per 100k
  18. Governate of the Twin Rivers
    • 758 cases per 100k
  19. Commonwealth of Virginia
    • 745 cases per 100k
  20. New Haven County
    • 719 cases per 100k
  21. Governate of Erie
    • 685 cases per 100k
  22. Governate of Manitoba
    • 679 cases per 100k
  23. Governate of Michigan
    • 601 cases per 100k
  24. Northwest Confederacy
    • 570 cases per 100k
  25. Governate of Ohio
    • 517 cases per 100k
  26. Governate of Wisconsin
    • 506 cases per 100k
  27. Haudenosaunee Confederacy
    • 414 cases per 100k
  28. Huron County
    • 361 cases per 100k
  29. Muscogean Confederacy
    • 350 cases per 100k
  30. Saybrook County
    • 291 cases per 100k
  31. New Hampshire County
    • 198 cases per 100k
  32. Superior County
    • 194 cases per 100k
  33. New Brunswick County
    • 168 cases per 100k
  34. Newfoundland County
    • 105 cases per 100k
  35. Governate of Vermont
    • 80 cases per 100k
  36. New Scotland County
    • 70 cases per 100k
  37. Governate of Hudsonia
    • 14 cases per 100k

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest
Don't forget that this is the 16th Century coastline, its probably that which makes them look out of place, the polders we see as normal are just not there yet.
I agree, the Holland-Utrecht border was simplified for ease . I probably could have made it more complex but I felt this gave the right "feel".
Thank you for the link, I'm bookmarking it until I do a really large-scale map of the area that can do it justice.
@H.Flashman(VC) Hi, you were right about the Zwolle and Kampen positioning, I am correcting it and will retro-fit it to my previous maps. Also updating the coastlines for maps after 1560 where the Polders have increased the amount of land available.

Thank you for your input [at least, Thank you once I've finished the retro-fit]

TL 172: Dacia WIP. Still needs a lot of work, but this has been sitting in my drafts for a while and I haven't had access to my normal tools to finish it, so I figured I would share what I have. Major ethnicities have their own color: Blue is Germanic, Green is Celtic, Orange is Latin, Purple is Slavic, Red(ish) is Turkic, Pink is Uralic, and Yellow(ish) is Greek. Please note that colors are arbitrary and are only meant to be used in the planning phase of the map. They will be changed in the future.
skAeJMS.png

Last edited:
TL 172: Dacia WIP. Still needs a lot of work, but this has been sitting in my drafts for a while and I haven't had access to my normal tools to finish it, so I figured I would share what I have. Major ethnicities have their own color: Blue is Germanic, Green is Celtic, Orange is Latin, Purple is Slavic, Red(ish) is Turkic, Pink is Uralic, and Yellow(ish) is Greek.

Nice! Although I think you need a more distinct Slavic or German color: the purple is perhaps a bit too blue.

TL 172: Dacia WIP. Still needs a lot of work, but this has been sitting in my drafts for a while and I haven't had access to my normal tools to finish it, so I figured I would share what I have. Major ethnicities have their own color: Blue is Germanic, Green is Celtic, Orange is Latin, Purple is Slavic, Red(ish) is Turkic, Pink is Uralic, and Yellow(ish) is Greek.

I love this world, though I do find it curious that 'Pretan' has remained Celtic in nature while 'Skotland' has become Germanic. I can see that it likely had to do with an alternative Anglo-Saxon migration or Vikings, but it strikes me as odd that England would be bypassed and Ireland reached (that said, I had always assumed Pretan was Slavic for some reason).

1603309614751.png
Just a short map I did yesterday for the Europe of the line of infoboxes I have posted recently, nearing either a massive continental (or pan-continental war) or a brutal proxy war in a cold war-esque scenario

Last edited:
Just the usual cross-over from the MotF contest. As always, very interested in hearing your thoughts and answering any questions.

We'll Paint the Snow Pink!
How Inferiority Complexes Lead to Hypothermia

RpIAdXp.jpg

I imagine your first question will be something of the like: why would a small, decrepit empire with extremely poor finances think it would be a good idea to waste their efforts and clout into trying to put forward a ridiculous claim to half a continent that is composed of ice and is impossible to settle or explore decently?

Well, it all began in the 1885s, with a diplomatic incident between the Portuguese and British Empire dubbed 'The Pink Map'. During the period of intensive European colonisation known as 'the Scramble for Africa', the various powers would stake claims of African territory, often in opposition to one another. The ruling principle was that of 'effecitve occupation', meaning that it would be effective control over the land, rather than any formal claims, that would determine the boundaries of colonial posessions. This benefitted powerful newcomers, such as the German Empire, to the detriment of less powerful powers who had older claims, often unused, in the continent, in particular Portugal, who had been present on the African shores for 400 years, but having only a handful of colonial posessions and settlements to show for it, in particular in the Atlantic archipelagos, in Guinea, in Angola and in Mozambique. Large territories for such a small country, certainly, but small in comparison to what the Portuguese Empire had been in its heyday. After the loss of Brazil and most of its Asian posessions, the Portuguese looked to the African domains for expansion. And now it was finding itself outmatched by the other European powers, more prepared to take them by force.

Eventually, a grand project was found to be focused on - a transcontinental territory, from the Atlantic to the Indian Ocean, from Angola to Mozambique, through the basin of the great Zambezi River, a territory whose great wealth was suspected. To this great ambition, the Portuguese gave the name of 'the Pink Map', for the colour it was painted the exemplar that was presented to the British ambassador for his appreciation. The British ambassador did not appreciate it at all, as the British Empire itself had plans for the region, heralded by Cecil Rhodes, a mining magnate in South Africa whose greatest life ambition was the construction of a Cape to Cairo Railway across the domains of the British Empire in Africa. Having Portuguese colonies in his way would not do.

And so it was that, after entertaining the Portuguese (their oldest allies, after all) for a while, the British were blunt about the matter, and presented an Ultimatum: either the Portuguese retreat their troops from the contested territories, or there would be war. Knowing quite well how a war with the British Empire would go, the King's government accepted the ultimatum, much to the disappointment of the republican radicals who, for some godforsaken reason, wanted to fight it out. The situation was so dire that, within a year, the first republican coup was attempted, failing but still demonstrating to the monarch just how precarious his situation was.

How does any of this relate to a small European country staking a claim to half of a frozen wasteland? Well, it's the exact issue of it being small: Portugal, in the age of romanticism, was still adjusting itself to the idea of being a small country on the periphery of Europe, rather than a large empire stretching across the Oceans, bounded only by the Papal lines of Tordesillas. And, from that resentment at smallness, after having inherited from Adam half of the world, is where the claim at the Southern continent comes in: in hopes of quelling some of the revolutionary feeling, for some reason, a (one imagines) well-intended soul in the government suggested staking their claims to the lands of Antarctica that the Treaty of Tordesillas assigned to the country, since there would be no Cecil Rhodes in the Austral Seas trying to build railways and getting mad at anyone who got in his way.

Of course that, Antarctica, and in particular the part of Antarctica the Portuguese government decided to claim, was pretty much useless; even visiting it was too perilous to be worth the risk, much less explore it. Although there were some fisheries' resources worth exploring (and even then meagre), the vast majority of the land claim was simply ridiculous, with no way or need to be enforced in the first place, being roughly equivalent to claim an island consummed by the lava of an active volcano.

However, the British did not complain about this move, not finding it particularly meaningful to catch their attention. Nor would anyone else, with the claim to Antarctica bearing very little meaning in Portuguese politics, who followed their course. After two decades of festering republicanism, the Revolution came and the Monarchy was exiled; and after a very unstable decade of democratic republicanism, a coup brought the military to power in the National Dictatorship; the military regime would then slowly transition to the hands of the civilian Finances Minister, António de Oliveira de Salazar, who shaped the dictatorship into the Estado Novo, ruling the country with an iron fist.

Among the ideological principles of Estado Novo was that of national glorification, which ruled its policy towards the colonies: they were Portuguese and would remain Portuguese until the end and he'd send an armed batallion to remind them of his love; Portugal (if one included its empire) was BIG, as big as Europe in fact, if one counted the colonies as integral parts of it. And, when it came to that, Antarctica was a good prize to show just how massive the Empire was - the land they claimed was big, as big as Brazil, in fact, that precious lost Crown Jewel. Some money was put into further exploring the land to strenghen the claim, charting the main geographical features which were then named to allude to various heroes of Portuguese History in its greatest heights - prominently Viriato, the ancient Lusitanian leader for whom the icy territory was named.

Salazar, of course, did not allow this entire industry to go without some profit - he was an economist above all things, and a miser above all qualities. After some research into the area, he finally found a way to, if slightly, profit off the territory - it seemed that there was a species of fish that, while apparently entirely unrelated, seemed and tasted like codfish (it's actually a toothfish), dubbed the Antarctic cod and promoted as the new source of the fish so prevalent in Portuguese cuisine, to the point that, to bolster its sales, Salazar would prohibit trade in codfish with the north Atlantic powers, hoping to foster the growth of the national industry (a strategy often employed by the regime). Hence the name of the shore dubbed 'Terra Nova do Bacalhau do Sul', or "South New Land of Codfish".

Of course, in terms of 'territory', Antarctica was quite weak as one goes. There were no settlements (and the occasional scientific expedition), and barely an office to manage the territory. It was, for all purposes, a territory to 'handle in the future', especially considering how the Colonial War intensified in Africa, as the regime continue to fiercely attempt at holding the colonies to no avail.

Salazar died in 1970, and the Estado Novo regime fell in 1974. The new Portuguese democracy, having immediately freed its colonies, wasn't quite sure of what to do with Antarctica: it didn't exactly have a native people to whom the claims could be forfeited, but neither was the territory of particular interest. Ultimately, the government held to its claims, if only for a matter of principle, having no intention of actually using them and not opposing scientific expeditions of other states in the region, in fact encouraging them. Of this strange claim, born out the oddest inferiority complex in History, only one major legacy remains: to this day, the practice among the Portuguese is to call 'cod' to the Antarctic toothfish, who is a delicacy in its cuisine, being eaten often, in particular on Christmas Eve.

So, I think it is quite obvious where this idea came from, but yeah, when I was doing reasearch for my previous map set in Antarctica, I actually came across information that stated Argentina and Chile used the Tordesillas Treaty as a justification for their claims, which immediately had my mind thinking about Portugal and Spain dividing Antarctica following the Tordesillas lines. Come this contest, add some context and voilá!

The map is in Portuguese but, honestly, I think everything (or almost) is readable in English. I simply found the frame beautiful and wanted to give it a historical look, hence the Portuguese claims being in Portuguese. And besides, the names in English sound a bit off.

It was a fun map to make, I hadn't worked with a polar perspective before, it was fun to try out.

Why is the Union of Britain called the Free Zone? Wouldn't it be as bad as the Nazi occupied britain?
Because the Union of Britain is a bit equivalent of the Vichy Regime in France, and it's led by Oswald Mosley & the former King Edward VIII. ITTL, the Germans did in Britain like they did in France: The rich regions are in an occupied zone, and the the remainder is constituted in free zone, led by a regime which collaborates at best with the Reich.

Status
Not open for further replies.