Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITAUSA2.png
"They voted for what?!" - President Harry S. Truman

I'm back at map making! This one is a weird one, based in the Italian Unionist Movement, a very strange post war movement that was all about Italy becoming apart of the United States. So I took that and ran with it! Obviously this wouldn't really happen, it wasn't even supported by America and had so little representation, funding, or even supporters, but this is a neat idea makes you think how the Cold War would progress since now the US directly borders with Yugoslavia and Soviet occupied Austria.

I thought it was only ever popular in Sicily? Anyway, with 65 million people (and proportionately more in 1945) I can't see Italy becoming part of the US as one state. Four or five, maybe.

"They voted for what?!" - President Harry S. Truman

I'm back at map making! This one is a weird one, based in the Italian Unionist Movement, a very strange post war movement that was all about Italy becoming apart of the United States. So I took that and ran with it! Obviously this wouldn't really happen, it wasn't even supported by America and had so little representation, funding, or even supporters, but this is a neat idea makes you think how the Cold War would progress since now the US directly borders with Yugoslavia and Soviet occupied Austria.
This was a fun map to scroll slowly down, thinking "Where's the AH? Where's the AH?" Then... boom.

CARNIOLA, the Kingdom of: A small but influential Adriatic nation, bordered by the Republic of Venice to the west, the Bohemian Empire to the north, and the Kingdom of Hungary to the east and south. Its capital is Trieste. Its subjects are primarily Friulians, Slovenes, and Istriots, with significant minorities of Germans, Croats, and Roumarians. Much of its current territory was first united in the 11th century by the Patriarchs of Aquileia, who steadily devolved temporal power in their extensive domains to the Counts of Guriza. The Guriza dynasty accrued yet more domains and influence through their loyalty to the German Emperors and jockeying for position with other local potentates, whilst steadily drifting outside of the Holy Roman Empire’s actual control. Though the main Guriza line became extinct in the 15th century, with the succeeding Guriza-Valois line losing numerous possessions to the growing Bohemian Kingdom, the core territories of Carniola remained intact and autonomous through the medieval era and beyond. The Duchy of Carniola was among those states who resisted the 15th century encroachments of the Empire of Rum, and under Otto V helped liberate Hungary from Islamic rule in the 1501-1504 Budapest Crusade. For his service in this cause, Otto was elevated to the rank of king. Carniola has remained traditional allies of the Hungarian crown ever since, contrariwise developing long term disputes with Venice and Bohemia. Its military relevance has slowly dwindled in Europe in the centuries since but not to the point of complete irrelevance, and the country retains economic importance due to Trieste’s connexion between the Mediterranean and Central Europe. Carniola has suffered somewhat at the hands of the recent Bohemian ascendancy, losing its remaining Carinthian possessions and almost all of Styria after the ‘48 war. Nonetheless, it retains its place at the heart of European affairs. The country is widely considered forward-looking and dynamic among Europe’s monarchies. It is sometimes affectionately known as the Doorstop of Europe due to its geographical position and past campaigns against the Empire of Rum.

M. Cx. de Baulny de Hagenau, minister in Trieste, to T-H. H. J. de Touraine, Minister of Foreign Affairs.

9th May, 1866

Sir,

I had a long conversation this afternoon with Duke Montmaior. I reiterated His Imperial Majesty the Emperor’s firm belief that Bohemia’s outrages in Silesia represent a return to the evil days of Venceslav IX, professing his particular concern for Carniola in the designs of that nation’s newly aggressive foreign policy. His Excellency agreed in principle, and shared his own concerns on the subject. However, he feels somewhat restricted on the matter. King Inrich has become nervous that Hungary has territorial ambitions in Styria and Austria, seeing Carniola only as a shield against a mighty Bohemian first blow, and is now mistrustful of their overtures. It is abundantly clear that Hungary’s current course in Carniola is adversely affecting the mood of the government regarding Bohemia. I explained to His Excellency that the Emperor’s good intentions and regards for Carniola includes ensuring its interests are represented fairly, even in the event of a European war. France continues to be seen as a responsible, objective third party to matters involving Carniola, so His Excellency was pleased at what was said. However, it would be preferable if the Hungarian press and government would retain their composure, and reduce the rather sanguinary impression of their disposition that has resulted in Carniola’s halls of power. Public will is very much in favour of a war, there is no doubt that King Inrich will eventually bow before it, but this change in policy will be greatly eased if Carniola is both confident in Hungarian moderation and of France’s steadfast support should Hungary develop more aggressive designs. I will meet with the Venetian ambassador at earliest opportunity, for I suspect that Venetian solidarity will help stiffen King Inrich’s resolve.

Courant Tidings

23rd May 1855

Carniolan King Arrives in Venice

Carniola’s King Henry IV was yesterday, the 24th, officially received in La Serenissima, with as much grand pomp and circumstance as the antient republic could muster, including the famous gilded bucentaur, which was used to carry the King and his hosts to the palazzo. This visit has roused a great excitement across Europe, as burying the traditional rivalry between the Republic of Venice and the Kingdom of Carniola retains significance at a time in which other breaches between the commonwealths of Europe continue to fester. This paper can only hope that such a visit impresses the majesty of Europe’s elder republic upon the Carniolan King, and the virtues of good government.

Diary of Eulaila Rovira

1st June 1855

Train to Trieste, final leg. Arrived in good order. Hotel Celebrior had prepared meals ahead, evidently Lubiana had telegraphed at our departure. Pork loin cooked in milk, San Denel ham, butter pea tarts, tuna with fennel, delicious almond biscuits called ricciarelli, coffee. Walked on the seafront. The Mediterranean is so beautifully clear here. The bay teems with masts and ships. Port very busy. Went to cafe with Mrs Ermilova while Quirze attended business. Returned to hotel and read. Quirze returned in time for supper. Scallop gratin, gnocchi dumplings with prune, long pasta with octopus, salad, then an almond cake from Lombardy called sbrisolona with coffee and Verduzzo sweet wine. It is difficult to believe, sitting at the desk in our room, that there are whispers of war on the wind.

deo925e-5fee0eb4-27f6-432b-b83b-c20b034338eb.png
Great map, would love to see the Bohemian Empire.

Angiers@2x.png

Federation of Indonesia - 1985

Based on a SimCity 4 thing I did. I downloaded a Malaya Peninsula map cause why not, and began building a "city-state" in Singapore's position. Here's a run-down of the lore pertaining the city, and Indonesia as a whole. I have a pic of the region so far here, and Angiers and Little Angiers.

1861: Anglo-Dutch War, the British take most of the Dutch East Indies.
1882: Enigmatic French nobles show up in London, with enough money. They buy Singapore and the neighbouring islands. They agree to remain under British suzeranity. Angiers is founded a year later, on the western coast of the island.
1885: Aceh is annexed, Portugese Indonesia is bought, East Indies Confederation is formed.
1891: Anglo-Spanish War, parts of the Philippines are annexed.
1905: Federated Malay States is founded.
1907: Little Angiers is founded on the other side of the island, on the area around a former British outpost.
1914: Aceh, after a guerilla war, achieves its independence as an Ottoman protectorate.
1914-1919: World War 1, Little Angiers is expanded to house the British Pacific Fleet.
1928: The British East Indies are restructured, local self-rule being the goal, whether it was effective or not is still hotly debated
1941-1946: The Pacific Front, Japan invades most of the British East Indies. The Straits Settlements are besieged, but they endure. The British Indian Fleet arrives around 1945, and together with the US Pacific Fleet liberates Indonesia. During this war the seeds of independence are planted.
1947: Angiers National Park is founded. Formerly an undeveloped area crossed by a railway and a few Malay villages.
1949: The Central Park is opened in Angiers, a wide forested area from the Palace, Diet and University to the Helvetica Ward.
1951: The Federated Malay States, Straits Settlements, Sarawak and Western Borneo group together, forming the Federation of Indonesia.
1952: The Federation is granted independence by a war-torn United Kingdom at the behest of the Federal Council, seated in Angiers. It would later be moved to Kuala Lumpur.
1957: The rest of British East Indies begins decolonization, the states are presented two options: become independent, or join Indonesia. Most choose to join Indonesia, but some argue the votes for union were falsified.
1963: The entirety of the British East Indies is part of the Federation of Indonesia, capital is officially moved to Kuala Lumpur, Little Angiers becomes the economic heart of the Federation, experiencing a boom in population.
1965: The New Constitution is issued. The President will be elected by the Federal Council, also known as the House of States, from among the heads of state of its member-states. The Prime-Minister will be elected by the House of Nationalities, in turn elected by the people.

1627791201598.png

I've decided to remaster Do Not Waver bc (to me) I didn't go in depth with things I wanted. So, instead of distinctly starting at 1900, I'm starting at 1895-1898, which I think still counts. The map takes place right before the progression of colonial conflict between France and Britain (1898.)

The Timeline differs from ours in three points, all consistent to France,
- the Dreyfus Affair never happens, as the accusations never pick up any ground, asserting the French people's eyes from domestic affairs and into Africa... particularly the Sudan.
- Christian de Bonchamps with the permission of his own separate expedition into the White Nile, and he would meet up with Marchand's command at Fashoda. Their two armies, as well as other troops would effectively rival Kitchener's army in size.
- France is also able to assert their claims within all of the territory of Amapa, which progresses conflict with Brazil and eventually all of South America.

Last edited:
1627758919449.png

Map found on the website of The Guardian, showcasing the results of a US-wide poll regarding the opinion of residents of each state on magic: interviewed people were asked whether their opinion on magic was: favorable, unfavorable, very favorable, very unfavorable, or indifferent; the results were then displayed on a curve from very unfavorable to very favorable, in order to differentiate states where indifference was the consensus from states that were very polarized between very favorable and very unfavorable.

Very positive opinion on magic in Washington and Oregon (and positive opinion on magic in Alaska to a certain extent) can be explained by the massive presence of Otterlings, giving many residents a vision of magic as being mainly represented by cute mammal pretending to be kids to eat fish leftovers.
The negative opinion in the South is often explained as reminders from the racial tensions from the Civil Rights Era, people of African descent having higher Elvish genes concentration and thus being more prone to being magic users, and the bad living conditions in ghettos having led to more cases of Ghoul infections. The high polarization in Mississipi, South Carolina and Alabama, instead of quiet discontent, can be explained by the higher amount of Ghouls among the population and the very strong disapproval of the FDA's "Ghoul Pills" stirred up by the Constitutionnal Party in these stronghold states.
The polarization in South Dakota can be explained by the Crazy Horse Protests that have permanently erased the faces engraved in Mount Rushmore, leading to resentment by a part of the population against spellcasters and the Spirits who helped them
Many Great Plains states have an overall positive opinion on magic because of the benefits to agriculture provided by the Federal Program for Sustainable Agriculture and the resulting cooperation with the local spirits (especially since the Dust Bowl of 1997 was averted thanks to magical intervention from said spirits)
The good opinion in New Jersey, West Virginia and Ohio can be explained by the economic importance of magic in their various economies: New Jersey from the Princeton University Partnership Program, Ohio from the talisman manufacturing industry and West Virginia from providing many key materials to Ohio for said industry.
Very negative perception in Utah is due to the LDS' very strong condamnation of magic, very negative perception in Tennessee is due to the Constitutionnal Party's extreme influence in the region due to William Hale being a Knoxville native and resident, those two states are the only ones who make the use of any form of spellcasting or alchemy illegal and forbids the sale of enchanted items.

View attachment 670050
Map found on the website of The Guardian, showcasing the results of a US-wide poll regarding the opinion of residents of each state on magic: interviewed people were asked whether their opinion on magic was: favorable, unfavorable, very favorable, very unfavorable, or indifferent; the results were then displayed on a curve from very unfavorable to very favorable, in order to differentiate states where indifference was the consensus from states that were very polarized between very favorable and very unfavorable.

Very positive opinion on magic in Washington and Oregon (and positive opinion on magic in Alaska to a certain extent) can be explained by the massive presence of Otterlings, giving many residents a vision of magic as being mainly represented by cute mammal pretending to be kids to eat fish leftovers.
The negative opinion in the South is often explained as reminders from the racial tensions from the Civil Rights Era, people of African descent having higher Elvish genes concentration and thus being more prone to being magic users, and the bad living conditions in ghettos having led to more cases of Ghoul infections. The high polarization in Mississipi, South Carolina and Alabama, instead of quiet discontent, can be explained by the higher amount of Ghouls among the population and the very strong disapproval of the FDA's "Ghoul Pills" stirred up by the Constitutionnal Party in these stronghold states.
The polarization in South Dakota can be explained by the Crazy Horse Protests that have permanently erased the faces engraved in Mount Rushmore, leading to resentment by a part of the population against spellcasters and the Spirits who helped them
Many Great Plains states have an overall positive opinion on magic because of the benefits to agriculture provided by the Federal Program for Sustainable Agriculture and the resulting cooperation with the local spirits (especially since the Dust Bowl of 1997 was averted thanks to magical intervention from said spirits)
The good opinion in New Jersey, West Virginia and Ohio can be explained by the economic importance of magic in their various economies: New Jersey from the Princeton University Partnership Program, Ohio from the talisman manufacturing industry and West Virginia from providing many key materials to Ohio for said industry.
Very negative perception in Utah is due to the LDS' very strong condamnation of magic, very negative perception in Tennessee is due to the Constitutionnal Party's extreme influence in the region due to William Hale being a Knoxville native and resident, those two states are the only ones who make the use of any form of spellcasting or alchemy illegal and forbids the sale of enchanted items.
I thought this was an OTL map and I was very confused by the explanations

1630009041555.png
In the year 1899...

France's major loss in the Fashoda War resulted in their loss in the Haut-Mbomou region, Laos to Siam and the extended Sierra Leone into the Niger River and resulting in a colonial cold war with Britain and France. This would also result in a quicker expedition through the Nile, using old French expeditionary routes.

Britain in a split decision would favor the absorption of North-West Rhodesia into the Rhodesian Protectorate, with the west being absorbed into Nyasaland.

In 1898, France's loss resulted in their legitimate permission of the rouge Voulet and Chanoine columns to pillage into British (claimed) Nigeria, however, they would (under command of different Senegalese soldiers) organize a dipartite empire, which put pressure on Rabih due to their literal genocide and rape of the regional populace. Eventually, France would be forced to invade the Empire in 1900.

This, as well as France's loss illustrated a requirement for a colonial victory, so, France put it's bet on slaying Rabih's empire, resulting in a victory at Togbao, and an earlier and quicker usurpation of Central Africa.

America, seeing British expansionism in Africa to be a main issue would find the side of Venezuela in the Essequibo Arbitration, giving about 70% of the lands to Venezuela, which pisses Britain off as they would not renounce their own claims.

Thomas Regalado does not gain presidency within El Salvador, resulting in the Central American Republic to pertain a shaky union.

Attachments

• 1627791086419.png
    1627791086419.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,698
  • 1630008871573.png
    1630008871573.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
View attachment 670046
I've decided to remaster Do Not Waver bc (to me) I didn't go in depth with things I wanted. So, instead of distinctly starting at 1900, I'm starting at 1895-1898, which I think still counts. The map takes place right before the progression of colonial conflict between France and Britain (1898.)

The Timeline differs from ours as Christian de Bonchamps with the permission of his own separate expedition into the White Nile, and he would meet up with Marchand's command at Fashoda. Their two armies, as well as other troops would effectively rival Kitchener's army in size.

It also differs with France being able to assert their claims within all of the territory of Amapa, which progresses conflict with Brazil and eventually all of South America.
I frankly doubt France would escalate the Fashoda Incident even had Bonchamps expedition met with Marchands. There's too much to lose in this situation, and the metropolitan government at home recognized such. Maybe if the Dreyfus affair never happened, the French public would have a wider lens on Sudan rather than the domestic circus going on at home. Even then, imo, I still think level heads would triumph.

View attachment 670070
In the year 1899...

France's major loss in the Fashoda War resulted in their loss in the Haut-Mbomou region, as well as into the Niger River and resulting in a colonial cold war with Britain and France. This would also result in a quicker expedition through the Nile, using old French expeditionary routes.

Britain in a split decision would favor the absorption of North-West Rhodesia into the Rhodesian Protectorate, with the west being absorbed into Nyasaland.

In 1898, France's loss resulted in their legitimate permission of the rouge Voulet and Chanoine columns to pillage into British (claimed) Nigeria, however, they would (under command of different Senegalese soldiers) organize a dipartite empire, which put pressure on Rabih due to their literal genocide and rape of the regional populace. Eventually, France would be forced to invade the Empire in 1900.

This, as well as France's loss illustrated a requirement for a colonial victory, so, France put it's bet on slaying Rabih's empire, resulting in a victory at Togbao, and an earlier and quicker usurpation of Central Africa.

America, seeing British expansionism in Africa to be a main issue would find the side of Venezuela in the Essequibo Arbitration, giving about 70% of the lands to Venezuela, which pisses Britain off as they would not renounce their own claims.

Thomas Regalado does not gain presidency within El Salvador, resulting in the Central American Republic to pertain a shaky union.
Wow, I love the detail in Africa! Did you use OmniAtlas as a base for it?

I thought this was an OTL map and I was very confused by the explanations
Oh, no, it's urban fantasy AH ^^' in my mind it was clear because, well, I'm the one who made the map ... the deviation is a magical awakening in August 1945, and the map would be contemporary to ourselves I guess?

(if you want I can explain more when I'm sufficiently awake)

Last edited:
I frankly doubt France would escalate the Fashoda Incident even had Bonchamps expedition met with Marchands. There's too much to lose in this situation, and the metropolitan government at home recognized such. Maybe if the Dreyfus affair never happened, the French public would have a wider lens on Sudan rather than the domestic circus going on at home. Even then, imo, I still think level heads would triumph.
True, that would make more sense actually, thank you

A request based on this DBWI, for @Whiteshore
Hat tip to Sregan, for some names for Muslim colonies.

In this world, Europe had a worse time of it, East Asia and the Middle East doing better. The Arabs got rather naged to pfurther into France/Gaul before being pushed back and the Carolingians failed to flourish, a Holy Roman Empire of sorts grew even larger than OTL but only managed to get more attention from the steppe nomads, invading Turks leagued under what we would call Uzbeks, and a bit later Mongols and their steppe buddies would ravage their way as far as the Rhine. [1] The Spanish reconquista started later and never quite got that momentum going. Although Europe had a brief cultural renaissance for a while, with Hanseatic proto-republicanism flourishing even more than OTL, and an independent Flanders having a nice little commercial empire of its own, the *Reformation when it came was furiously apocalyptic, spread further (to Poland and Hungary, for starters) and in the face of a weaker Catholic church, soon began to turn on itself, splitting into multiple hostile branches which fought amongst themselves even more vigorously than they fought the Catholics.

Only in Byzantium, unbothered by crusaders and hit more lightly be Turkish invasions filtered through an earlier revival of Iranian power (their equivalent of Manzikert was a smashing success) managed to keep it's shit together, and when the Arabs and Iranian nations managed to pull off a scientific revolution, kept an eye on these developments and managed to eventually duplicated them. (The Door of Inquiry in Islam never was closed, the Persians invented the printing press for non-holy Farsi documents, and Baghdad avoided a sack, although the Arab Caliphate eventually moved its capital to more centralized and secure Cairo.) The Islamic world eventually pulled off a slow-motion and oil-fueled industrial revolution, and the Byzantines followed not long after.

Meanwhile, China remained mostly divided into two and sometimes three states, and the southern Chinese increasingly turned to the sea, and thanks to some efforts by wacky Buddhists to discover the Land of Immortality, North America was discovered. Settlement was limited at first, and there was trade (germs, but also valuable old world tech and farm animals), but then gold was discovered in California, and there was an emperor eager to balance the budget. Meanwhile, rumors of the new continent reached the Islam world, and Al-Andalus, which had already learned to sail around the bulge of Africa to cut out some middle-men in the gold trade, decided to take a look...

The Arabic Caliphate and Iran remain the most scientifically developed nations in the world, although Rhomania and South China aren't too far behind, and in any case the east Asians are beginning to eat their lunch in commercial manufacturing. Iran (generally still known abroad as "Persia" here) is more or less a constitutional monarchy, as is Al-Andalus, while the Caliph in Cairo still has some real power, and Arabic society generally more authoritarian, although nowadays nobody objects to women doctors, let alone drivers, and it's been a while since the traditional hand-chopping technique as been applied to thieves. (In the Muslim world are what we would call republics, but a republic is called a "consultative Ummah" here and arises from rather different antecedents than OTL western republic, one of the fundamental ideas being the notion of a "nation of laws, not men" - an end to the arbitrary and often unlimited power of traditional monarchs.)

East Asia is often more authoritarian, with North China being a nasty mix of genteel fascism, technocracy and Confucian absolutism, and while south China is in many ways a Land of Opportunity, politics tend to be dominated by the great commercial clans. The Japanese elite is about as arrogant as the French elite (in timelines where Napoleon succeeded in establishing his empire and his descendants went on to conquer the world.)

Islamic Africa is more backwards than the nations to the north, something of a "Latin America" to this Earth's "first world", although its problems have rather different antecedents. As yet no sub-Saharan African nation is considered a genuine "Great Power", although some, notably Oyo, are expected to get there before that much longer. South America is mostly Andalucian-African in the east, and pretty modern if not always very democratic (the vote of someone of slave descent isn't worth much in Maghred-the-Furthest), rather mixed (Andalucian-Amerindian-East Asian) in the *Colombia-*Ecuador region, and Islamicized Amerindians in the Andes going south. *Mexico is still spiritually scarred by the era of plagues and the longer era of Chinese meddling, and is unpredictable. (Fusang Chinese frequent talk about putting up a wall or intervening on part of the occasionally scapegoated 11% of East Asian descent doesn't help). The United Domains of Fusang itself is a continent, a world unto itself, a semi-democratic semi-Confucianist state with a Utopian Buddhist streak and a City on a Hill attitude, still growing steadily in population and wealth, and many worry - or, in some cases, hope for - what may happen when and if it throws aside it's traditional isolationism.

Europe is backwards and underdeveloped, save for Rome-in-the-east , which is full up to east Asian and Islamic standards of modernity, and has managed to almost pull up it's allies of Dacia [2] and *Georgia to it's own level. A bit of bright spot are the Mediterranean Latin states, which are generally "middle income nations", having seen some prosperity and growth as labor pools for more advanced nations (see OTL Indonesia) and while there are only a couple actual democracies in the bunch, the oligarchies and traditional monarchies/principalities aren't too awful. There has been talk of political unification of sorts, or at least closer integration, but this sort of talk is strongly disapproved of by the kingdom of France (a functional monarchy about as authoritarian as OTL Jordan), Al-Andalus, which is allergic to the notion of large Christian states with a foothold over the Pyrenees, and the battered but still holding it together theocracy of the Papal Estates, which sees any unification of its Latin neighbors as an existential threat to its existence. (There are also quite a few areas under the control of said neighbors the Popes are quite irredentist about).

The North and center are mostly juntas, one party autocracies, or near-absolute monarchies, in places (such as Not Poland) where things currently aren't in a state of (Holy) civil war. The German Confederation used to be something of an interesting case, a local dictator taking over from the military junta that had roughly unified the wreck of the old holy Roman Empire after the last imperial election had gone entirely pear-shaped. Uniting small states into larger "traditional" states, crushing the more resistant Protestant groups, suppressing localism and autonomism, in his 40 years reign he did much to push the Confederation into actual industrial nation status, and made "Eisenism" (much of which was actually inspired by the brutal practices of the Steel Khanate) an ideal in the eyes of many dictators of backwards nations. Unfortunately, his heir, in spire of his best efforts to train him, proved less competent than his father and foolishly invaded North Italy on the basis that Italy used to be part of the Holy Roman Empire and it therefore belonged to the German Confederation. This triggered the wrath of the great powers, and the Confederation was occupied by forces from Al-Andalus, the Caliphate of Cairo, and the Tianxia north Chinese empire, eager to extend their influence.

A combination of conflicting goals, insufficient planning, ignorance of local conditions, and local religious fanaticism has turned the occupation into a total clusterfuck, and the Islamic powers have pulled out: less able to countenance the loss of face associated, the Chinese have remained. Attempts to use Divide and Rule with the various Landers has not worked well outside of Austria, and has created several exciting new _local_ rebel groups. It makes it seem unlikely that Austria, Bohemia, Pomerania, etc. will ever form a single united nation again. (Bohemia is complicated: the local German rebels are in favor of a unified Germany, since they're outnumbered by the Bohemian Slavs, who are willing to collaborate with the Chinese, but only as long as they get a nation of their own. They also are pushing the Chinese to allow the survival of the so-far unrecognized Wendish state).

More worrying than the mess in Germany/nies, is the trend it illustrates: the increasing aggressive posture of north China/Tianxia on the world stage in general: their increasing fondness for "muscular" treatment of small states that annoy them, and more energetic pushing of "Harmonialism", [3] their authoritarian and undemocratic principles, wherever people are receptive. Meanwhile north Chinese megacorporations carry out cut-throat economic competition such as no "Socialist" superpower could manage, and they remain loudly determined to reunify China ( some alarmed observers whisper "no matter how many dead south Chinese this requires", and use words like "first strike") Even in Fusang they fund various "Chinese reunification" movements (never mind that most Chinese in the United Domains are of south Chinese descent).

As a result they have managed to provoke a broad, non-ideological alliance of powers interested in containing them and protecting themselves from dominance either political or economic. (Although the more democratic members of the alliance do spend quite a bit of lung power condemning the spread of what they call "harmonious" government.) In turn Tianxia is gathering what allies it can, taking advantage of existing hostility where it exists, and generally making loud noises about efforts to encircle them and overshadow their place in the sun.

Currently only the Arab Caliphate, Persia, Rhomania, Nihon, the two Chinas plus Chinese Fusang, Al-Andalus (a few) and the Sultanate of Industan have nuclear weapons: quite a few countries are wondering if they want to get some for insurance, though.

[1] What would become known as the Steel Khanate ruled over Russia until mid-twentieth century, but they weren't really a traditional steppe empire anymore: the cavalry was of steppe raider stock, but so were the infantry officers, the air force, and the armored cavalry.

[2] When Wallachia and Moldova united, it seemed a bit odd, not to mention disrespectful, to call themselves "Romania" when the Roman Empire (their ally) was right there, so they went with a callback to their original (so-claimed) ancestors.

[3] currently the technocrats are the most influential faction under the Emperor Himself , and science and science education is being very robustly pushed. They are also are big on planning. Whether this will be good or bad in the long run is unclear: they certainly have a hell of a lot more computing power than the Soviets ever had, and they haven't meddled much with the mega-corporations - yet.)

View attachment 670050

Took me a while to realize that this was not a real world map.

Last edited:
A request based on this DBWI, for @Whiteshore
Hat tip to Sregan, for some names for Muslim colonies.

In this world, Europe had a worse time of it, East Asia and the Middle East doing better. The Arabs got rather naged to pfurther into France/Gaul before being pushed back and the Carolingians failed to flourish, a Holy Roman Empire of sorts grew even larger than OTL but only managed to get more attention from the steppe nomads, invading Turks leagued under what we would call Uzbeks, and a bit later Mongols and their steppe buddies would ravage their way as far as the Rhine. [1] The Spanish reconquista started later and never quite got that momentum going. Although Europe had a brief cultural renaissance for a while, with Hanseatic proto-republicanism flourishing even more than OTL, and an independent Flanders having a nice little commercial empire of its own, the *Reformation when it came was furiously apocalyptic, spread further (to Poland and Hungary, for starters) and in the face of a weaker Catholic church, soon began to turn on itself, splitting into multiple hostile branches which fought amongst themselves even more vigorously than they fought the Catholics.

Only in Byzantium, unbothered by crusaders and hit more lightly be Turkish invasions filtered through an earlier revival of Iranian power (their equivalent of Manzikert was a smashing success) managed to keep it's shit together, and when the Arabs and Iranian nations managed to pull off a scientific revolution, kept an eye on these developments and managed to eventually duplicated them. (The Door of Inquiry in Islam never was closed, the Persians invented the printing press for non-holy Farsi documents, and Baghdad avoided a sack, although the Arab Caliphate eventually moved its capital to more centralized and secure Cairo.) The Islamic world eventually pulled off a slow-motion and oil-fueled industrial revolution, and the Byzantines followed not long after.

Meanwhile, China remained mostly divided into two and sometimes three states, and the southern Chinese increasingly turned to the sea, and thanks to some efforts by wacky Buddhists to discover the Land of Immortality, North America was discovered. Settlement was limited at first, and there was trade (germs, but also valuable old world tech and farm animals), but then gold was discovered in California, and there was an emperor eager to balance the budget. Meanwhile, rumors of the new continent reached the Islam world, and Al-Andalus, which had already learned to sail around the bulge of Africa to cut out some middle-men in the gold trade, decided to take a look...

The Arabic Caliphate and Iran remain the most scientifically developed nations in the world, although Rhomania and South China aren't too far behind, and in any case the east Asians are beginning to eat their lunch in commercial manufacturing. Iran (generally still known abroad as "Persia" here) is more or less a constitutional monarchy, as is Al-Andalus, while the Caliph in Cairo still has some real power, and Arabic society generally more authoritarian, although nowadays nobody objects to women doctors, let alone drivers, and it's been a while since the traditional hand-chopping technique as been applied to thieves. (In the Muslim world are what we would call republics, but a republic is called a "consultative Ummah" here and arises from rather different antecedents than OTL western republic, one of the fundamental ideas being the notion of a "nation of laws, not men" - an end to the arbitrary and often unlimited power of traditional monarchs.)

East Asia is often more authoritarian, with North China being a nasty mix of genteel fascism, technocracy and Confucian absolutism, and while south China is in many ways a Land of Opportunity, politics tend to be dominated by the great commercial clans. The Japanese elite is about as arrogant as the French elite (in timelines where Napoleon succeeded in establishing his empire and his descendants went on to conquer the world.)

Islamic Africa is more backwards than the nations to the north, something of a "Latin America" to this Earth's "first world", although its problems have rather different antecedents. As yet no sub-Saharan African nation is considered a genuine "Great Power", although some, notably Oyo, are expected to get there before that much longer. South America is mostly Andalucian-African in the east, and pretty modern if not always very democratic (the vote of someone of slave descent isn't worth much in Maghred-the-Furthest), rather mixed (Andalucian-Amerindian-East Asian) in the *Colombia-*Ecuador region, and Islamicized Amerindians in the Andes going south. *Mexico is still spiritually scarred by the era of plagues and the longer era of Chinese meddling, and is unpredictable. (Fusang Chinese frequent talk about putting up a wall or intervening on part of the occasionally scapegoated 11% of East Asian descent doesn't help). The United Domains of Fusang itself is a continent, a world unto itself, a semi-democratic semi-Confucianist state with a Utopian Buddhist streak and a City on a Hill attitude, still growing steadily in population and wealth, and many worry - or, in some cases, hope for - what may happen when and if it throws aside it's traditional isolationism.

Europe is backwards and underdeveloped, save for Rome-in-the-east , which is full up to east Asian and Islamic standards of modernity, and has managed to almost pull up it's allies of Dacia [2] and *Georgia to it's own level. A bit of bright spot are the Mediterranean Latin states, which are generally "middle income nations", having seen some prosperity and growth as labor pools for more advanced nations (see OTL Indonesia) and while there are only a couple actual democracies in the bunch, the oligarchies and traditional monarchies/principalities aren't too awful. There has been talk of political unification of sorts, or at least closer integration, but this sort of talk is strongly disapproved of by the kingdom of France (a functional monarchy about as authoritarian as OTL Jordan), Al-Andalus, which is allergic to the notion of large Christian states with a foothold over the Pyrenees, and the battered but still holding it together theocracy of the Papal Estates, which sees any unification of its Latin neighbors as an existential threat to its existence. (There are also quite a few areas under the control of said neighbors the Popes are quite irredentist about).

The North and center are mostly juntas, one party autocracies, or near-absolute monarchies, in places (such as Not Poland) where things currently aren't in a state of (Holy) civil war. The German Confederation used to be something of an interesting case, a local dictator taking over from the military junta that had roughly unified the wreck of the old holy Roman Empire after the last imperial election had gone entirely pear-shaped. Uniting small states into larger "traditional" states, crushing the more resistant Protestant groups, suppressing localism and autonomism, in his 40 years reign he did much to push the Confederation into actual industrial nation status, and made "Eisenism" (much of which was actually inspired by the brutal practices of the Steel Khanate) an ideal in the eyes of many dictators of backwards nations. Unfortunately, his heir, in spire of his best efforts to train him, proved less competent than his father and foolishly invaded North Italy on the basis that Italy used to be part of the Holy Roman Empire and it therefore belonged to the German Confederation. This triggered the wrath of the great powers, and the Confederation was occupied by forces from Al-Andalus, the Caliphate of Cairo, and the Tianxia north Chinese empire, eager to extend their influence.

A combination of conflicting goals, insufficient planning, ignorance of local conditions, and local religious fanaticism has turned the occupation into a total clusterfuck, and the Islamic powers have pulled out: less able to countenance the loss of face associated, the Chinese have remained. Attempts to use Divide and Rule with the various Landers has not worked well outside of Austria, and has created several exciting new _local_ rebel groups. It makes it seem unlikely that Austria, Bohemia, Pomerania, etc. will ever form a single united nation again. (Bohemia is complicated: the local German rebels are in favor of a unified Germany, since they're outnumbered by the Bohemian Slavs, who are willing to collaborate with the Chinese, but only as long as they get a nation of their own. They also are pushing the Chinese to allow the survival of the so-far unrecognized Wendish state).

More worrying than the mess in Germany/nies, is the trend it illustrates: the increasing aggressive posture of north China/Tianxia on the world stage in general: their increasing fondness for "muscular" treatment of small states that annoy them, and more energetic pushing of "Harmonialism", [3] their authoritarian and undemocratic principles, wherever people are receptive. Meanwhile north Chinese megacorporations carry out cut-throat economic competition such as no "Socialist" superpower could manage, and they remain loudly determined to reunify China ( some alarmed observers whisper "no matter how many dead south Chinese this requires", and use words like "first strike") Even in Fusang they fund various "Chinese reunification" movements (never mind that most Chinese in the United Domains are of south Chinese descent).

As a result they have managed to provoke a broad, non-ideological alliance of powers interested in containing them and protecting themselves from dominance either political or economic. (Although the more democratic members of the alliance do spend quite a bit of lung power condemning the spread of what they call "harmonious" government.) In turn Tianxia is gathering what allies it can, taking advantage of existing hostility where it exists, and generally making loud noises about efforts to encircle them and overshadow their place in the sun.

Currently only the Arab Caliphate, Persia, Rhomania, Nihon, the two Chinas plus Chinese Fusang, Al-Andalus (a few) and the Sultanate of Industan have nuclear weapons: quite a few countries are wondering if they want to get some for insurance, though.

[1] What would become known as the Steel Khanate ruled over Russia until mid-twentieth century, but they weren't really a traditional steppe empire anymore: the cavalry was of steppe raider stock, but so were the infantry officers, the air force, and the armored cavalry.

[2] When Wallachia and Moldova united, it seemed a bit odd, not to mention disrespectful, to call themselves "Romania" when the Roman Empire (their ally) was right there, so they went with a callback to their original (so-claimed) ancestors.

[3] currently the technocrats are the most influential faction under the Emperor Himself , and science and science education is being very robustly pushed. They are also are big on planning. Whether this will be good or bad in the long run is unclear: they certainly have a hell of a lot more computing power than the Soviets ever had, and they haven't meddled much with the mega-corporations - yet.)
Slightly unrelated, but how can you write such big walls of text? I struggle with that, hence why most of me maps tend to have a short description.

Status
Not open for further replies.