Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Great Lakes Sprachbund, c. 1,473,000 BCE
1611078972713.png

(Made using a topography QBAM made by Bob Hope as a template.)

Short explanation: A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about the different theories about how language evolved, and while I doubt we'll ever actually know the answer, my personal theory that I came up with as a result of said thinking was that language probably developed relatively early, but probably did so several times independently (as for how it happened, I don't have much of an idea, but I think early hominins probably already had a complex communication system, but one that lacked all or most of the features unique to language. I suspect that, as Homo erectus evolved, larger group size and the growing importance of pursuit predation caused a shift in how their brains worked, that made some of those features possible as a side effect. Again, there's little to no scientific backing for any of this, but it's as plausible as any other theory about this topic.)

Anyway, if language developed in multiple places independently, then instead of a single First Language there would have been dozens to hundreds of unrelated first languages that then spread and adapted over time. But these unrelated languages would also probably interact and become more similar over time as groups of Homo erectus interacted with each other, and that could lead to the development of sprachbunds. Hence... this, my take on one of those early sprachbunds.

Here's my first proper map for 2021. And it's another cover map for the Hearts of Iron IV mod The New Order: Last Days of Europe, but with a twist, and then some. Instead, it's a post-apocalpytic map following one of the worst failstates possible: nuclear war. The DeviantArt version can be found here.

Despite the civilization-destroying "game over" that's indicative of, however, it's not quite the end of the story. As it turns out, life always finds a way, time eventually erases hate, and time...heals all sorrows.

And if that sounds familiar, it's because the map is also a crossover with the light novel and Kyoto Animation series Violet Evergarden. A crossover no one wanted or expected or needed...but well, a first time for everything! Beyond just the unlikely combination, and how the setting's main location bears more than a passing resemblance to Australia, it's also something of a challenge to see how I could make two seemingly disparate works connected, while making it fairly seamless. All things considered, the end-result's worth it.

At any rate, this is a work of fiction. This is not a political or ideological screed. Depiction is not endorsement. All rights belong to their respective owners.

All the same, hope you enjoy this as much as I have in making it!

----
The New Order: A New Home
A Post-Apocalyptic Crossover

For so long, much of what's known about the distant past has been through fragments. These were normally found in folklore passed down orally, sometimes invoking languages no longer spoken and muddled in myth. What precious records that survived the countless centuries, meanwhile, were either woefully incomplete, or had been warped almost beyond recognition, in which the line between legend and fact often got blurred. Though greater interest in archeology has begun opening up new inquiries, it is not for nothing that it took generations for academics to piece enough together from such sources to arrive at some approximation of the truth. If it is indeed close to it, then we all may need to take heed.

There had once been a time when man had reached the stars themselves. This was an age, in which its prosperity and industry have yet to be surpassed, as was its capacity for destruction. The world was divided between the great powers of their age, their names as vast as their territories, with each seeking an advantage over the other. Whether they feuded over ideology, the great black sands, or the simple question of who deserved dominion over all others, any one of them could have touched off a blaze which would engulf them all. Certain myths claim, nonetheless that the gods themselves were displeased with what humanity had wrought. Alleged canticles speak of how the Partei of Bormann and Goering feuded in the latter days of the Deutschesreych, while the servants of the Black Rus sought vengeance for the wrongs done to their people by the Deutsche people.

Perhaps the distant Jews of Neu-Zion or the Polska, both of which claim a lineage going even further into the dim past, know more on what transpired. In all likelihood, however, the truth in its entirety perished with whoever's responsible. What could be said for certain was that the skies streaked with flying machines and rockets unlike any we could conceive. So began the last war of the old world, and so it ended just as soon. For the flames consumed their great cities, rendered their terrible weapons useless and turned all unfortunate to be close, innocent or guilty, to ash. For those who survived, it must have seemed like the end of days. If the silent killer called in a few sources as the innocuous-sounding "fallout" didn't take their lives, then the savagery of their fellow men and lack of any social order would have been a grim reality. Yet it was amidst such drudgery that some chose to leave their shattered homes behind in search of a new one.

Legends talk of a great voyage, though none could agree on how it began. In some accounts, it was led by either the Sea-Koenig Doenitz of the Kriegsmarine, or one of his many heirs. Others point to a fisherman of Iberia, wandering Anglos, and even a lone scholar from the semi-mythical Italians. Regardless, there's enough consistency to suggest that these disparate groups, converged near an Iberian town called Porto, where it was decided to venture forth into the continent they called Australia. Given how certain oral tales roughly corresponding to the period make mention "turning the Outback green" and form a "Bastion against the Rising Sun" in the ancient tongues, these refugees may have had reason to undertake such a perilous journey. Thus, with whatever they could bring aboard their vessels, they set off, never to look back again.

Much is muddled in contradictory details, fanciful allegory and horrid imagery when it comes to approaching the voyage itself. Though the great oceanic monsters and intervening angels likely never existed, references to savage people-eaters, deranged warlords, and nameless heroes who stood their ground suggest that the perhaps makeshift fleet rarely had any respite. The ordeal would extend upon arriving at their promised land. For to their dismay, though largely spared from the flames, it had degenerated into a maelstrom of madness. Whether wrought by despair, the fracturing of the Dreamtime, or some unknown plague, folklore has since called this chaos the "whiteline". Where men fed on men, and dominated all those seen as beneath them.

Despite such incredible trials, they dispersed through various regions and intermingled with other, local survivors. Among the more prominent embers of order said to have been lit was a place called Adeleide, while another group led by the L'Ancienne Branch made landfall near the ruined town of Perth, to say little of the Iberians who ventured much further east in search of their own prospective homesteads. Alas, much else seems to have been lost in the ensuing dark ages. The last war's lingering effects, so it's been told, went on to change the shape of the shores, and irrevocably transformed the countryside, albeit more by nature than divine intervention. By all accounts, those enclaves all fell to barbarism, whether at the hands of the last "whiteline" adherents or by the hands of their own erstwhile comrades.

Yet, it is not without reason that some scholars believe that these ancient fragments can shed light on the origins of the continent's ethnicities and nations. The accounts regarding the old world and voyage could explain why the advances in agricultural research and blackpowder seemed peculiarly faster, suggesting some prerequisite knowledge had been carried over, if not rediscovered. They may also provide evidence for how the cultural strains observed in the present appear to be remarkably similar to those of societies thousands of leagues apart, however divergent these may have become. There are those who have even theorized that through language drift over generations, the names invoked closely correspond to cities such as Leiden and polities like the Enciel Kingdom. While a few go so far as to suggest that certain lineages, be it the martially-inclined Bougainvillea of Leidenschaftlich, or certain royal families, can be traced to those semi-mythical heroes.

Perhaps with further patronage, archeological finds, and the complete deciphering of the old texts, we may learn even more about ourselves. Though the sooner this is achieved, the better. The contemporary world, after all, has seen a resurgence in industry and progress. Railroads and roadways increasingly criss-cross the continent of Telsis, as the Australia of folklore is now known, while steamships unite the myriad landmasses of the globe. More and more, women are finding new opportunities on the social ladder, as seen with the Auto Memory Dolls. At the same time, however, the wounds of the Great War remain fresh, fought as it was with modern firearms, artillery and even more devastating strategies. Whether it's scarred soldiers, grieving families, or resentment between monarchs and sovereigns, some fear that the seeds for the next major conflict are being sown. And if some recently uncovered relics are any indication, this may well have happened before.

Will we, too, wind up repeating those old legends? Or can we break this cycle? One can still hope. Time can yet heal all sorrows.

----​

For some trivia, the text (both in the lore and map itself) contains references to the post-apocalyptic events in the mod. Some of those depend on which factions instigate the nuclear apocalypse or otherwise dominant, especially if Omsk/the Black League is involved. Curiously, some of the more distant ones heavily imply that Jews and Poles remain very much recognizable.

Parts of the distorted recollections are also a nod to the introduction of Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior. While the mix of strangely accurate and "future imperfect" descriptions are intended to reflect how the map in-universe was made a few decades after the nukes fall, as well as how some pieces of knowledge would be more intact than others, even countless generations into the future.

The script, Nunkish/Telsis, is also from Violet Evergarden, which is provided for free by よづき on Pixiv. As for the translation:

And yes, the map at the bottom-right is from the anime, and does look like Australia. With Leiden even being situated roughly where South Australia (and Adelaide) would be.

----
dech712-4f914de6-441a-41ac-b0dd-68bf7ee23d63.png

Alternate version:
ZQGBd5f.jpg

Unfiltered version:
VMk16E5.jpg
Amazing, I saw it on DA

As requested by @Eparkhos I offer you a Worlda map that I have modified.
A few years ago I had tried to "zombify" a map from @Direwolf22 which had made maps with "continental borders". My goal was to have these famous borders as well as the rivers of the planet at the same time. But the result being mediocre, I decided to do it all by myself. The continental borders as well as the colors of the continents and oceans are mine.
Normally I did several checks and there should not be any problems with badly colored pixels on them. But if you see any that I didn't notice, please let me know.
In the bottom right corner I have marked the map with my name. Making this map took me a lot of time and patience and I would like to be mentioned if you use my work. But I don't want to impose it on you, I wouldn't want it to seem too proud. So if you absolutely want to erase the mention of my name you can (just as if you modify my work to the point that it is no longer recognizable, you get back the authorship).
The most important thing for me is that it's a service to others, in the same way that many others have done me a service by giving their work away as open source.

1611412013313.png

Last edited:
decdgsj-37a86943-6fcd-45fb-9d9c-4e3e7994ecec.png

Sites and Settlements of Tsalaguwetiyi, the old Cherokee Country
~

Here is a recently completed map of Cherokee towns and place names; this one took longer for me to make because it took a while to figure out Cherokee, and finding reliable sources on the towns is a whole different can of worms. Please do keep in mind that I am not a Cherokee language expert, and some sites may be in the wrong place, but that's something one has to deal with when theres five maps with a town in different locations, I suppose. The ones that are on the map are ones who have a precise location in sources; there're many towns that sadly don't have any info next to their name other than something like what year they were razed.

Incidentally, this is also my first map with something created in QGIS, the topography layer in the background. Looking closely, you can see there are rivers that don't quite match the rivershed in the topography, and that's because I used a basemap with a bit of warping for the rivers layer. I'll have to get better at reprojection in QGIS and choosing more modern basemaps next time.

So hopefully this map sheds some light onto the extent of the Cherokee nation. I've always been interested in aboriginal names in any country, so expect maps with the same premise as this one in the future as well.

this work is fantastic ngl

Hapsburg

Banned
(Continuation of maps relating to my spouse's original fantasy series; some names are cribbed from familiar sources, they're subject to alteration, don't get hung up on them too much)

The continent of Ovaicaea, by the end of the second month of the year 1021 IA. The New Empire is on the verge of collapse.

The previous year had seen a number of disasters occur almost simultaneously over the course of several months. The Princess Iliana of Skyshroud was to be wed to Prince Ambrose Hafwen, third son of the reigning emperor Owyn, as a way of sealing an alliance between the imperial family and the empire's fiercest warriors. However, partway into her grand tour of the Empire prior to her wedding date, the Princess disappeared. Many feared her kidnap, and secretly Queen Siobhan of Skyshroud dispatched several agents to investigate, an adventure that carried a party of misfits and troublemakers across the war-torn land of Tethar and deep into the foreign empire of Gestrin-- where they found that Iliana had indeed been taken against her will as part of a mysterious plot by the goblin lord Brekakt. Along the way they bore witness to Gestrin's clandestine occupation of Tethar, followed by the Tethari declaration of independence and subsequent declaration of union with Gestrin.

At the same time, Emperor Owyn died of an illness, despite being a half-elf and still relatively young. It was expected that his daughter and heir Rowan would be elected to succeed him, but the process was delayed by yet another crisis. In support of their occupation of Tethar, a Gastrinian legion made a daring mountain crossing to reach the Confessor Abbey in the Tethar Mountains, and sacked it under cover of darkness. Many were slain, cutting off a strategic resource that the empire had relied on: the mind-altering powers of the Confessors. Their monastic order had mostly kept the peace in the empire for 200 years, and now internal instabilities within several kingdoms boiled over into open conflict. Gestrin marched through Tethar and conquered the Arena City, and occupied strips of borderland in southern Tudesco and Tolossia, but otherwise held a firm position, reinforcing before making any further moves. Waiting and watching the chaos up north unfold.

In the majority-dwarven kingdom of Lithuar, the human House of Wilde had been staunch advocates for the power of the feudal baronage, and the second-largest landowners in the country; Duke Frederick de Wilde had been making alliances and moving towards separating from Lithuar when he switched tactics, instead staking a claim for the Lithuari throne itself, based on his grandmother's heritage, which he pressed in the Imperial courts. Raids began between supporters of the competing claimants. Lithuar had also been hardest hit by an epidemic that struck along the Dorei River valley, with thousands dead.
Skyshroud had been embroiled in a tense cold war between ethnic groups for centuries, ever since the moon elves had invited the human Alovari tribe to pacify a land torn by civil war. The sun elves had retreated to their citadels and mountain redoubts, while the wood elves slinked into the forests, both attacking each other in brief, intermittent raids. With the Princess gone and the kingdom's succession in jeopardy, the factions marshalled themselves for all-out civil war.

Late in the year, Iliana returned to Skyshroud; she was apparently released on her own free will, with the public explanation for her disappearance being that she had been injured during a fight with slavecatchers, and Gastrinian soldiers had found her and took her to Gestrin for medical care. On the night of her return, however, the royal family was slaughtered, along with most of the royal council and the mage committee, apparently by an elven servant. Iliana was quickly crowned and called to assemble her generals; she unilaterally declared Skyshroud's independence from the Empire, citing its inability to protect her from harm and to prevent civil war.
In neighboring Lithuar, after an ultimatum was not met, Duke de Wilde led an uprising by the nobility, which swiftly overtook the Kingdom. After capturing most of the realm by force, he felt secure enough to have himself crowned King and declare that Lithuar would also separate from the Empire. This split the federation in two. The new Empress ordered the western legions to mass at the new border and dig in for defensive lines, and the eastern legions to hold position.

By the start of Frostmelt 1021, the situation had only worsened. Lithuar's royal capital was under siege and expected to soon fall, and with it any claimant with Imperial backing or allegiance. Skyshroud was massing its armies at the western border, awaiting Imperial activity, and Queen Iliana had begun negotiations to form an alliance with Lithuar. The imperial exclave of Drelawin, a dwarven mining state rich in coal, tin, and silver, was expected to be Skyshroud's next strategic target. At the same time, imperial control over the eastern kingdoms of Athuasua, Suatha, Etusa, Tolossia, and Ripana was about to collapse; two simultaneous conspiracies were running: the rulers of the kingdoms met in secret to discuss secession and making a separate peace with Gestrin. At the same time the high commanders of the imperial legions considered declaring the illegitimacy of the Western throne, electing their own Emperor, and seizing control of the kingdoms by force to defend imperial interests in the east until such time as a westward expedition could be mounted.

And to the south, Gestrin's newly-trained legions assembled for a fresh invasion.

1021.png

Continuing with the series of maps from my Winds of Iron TL, here is the map depicting the rework of the Second American Revolution. Campaigns can be a tad confusing, specially in the larger map which does not depict victors. Decided to do it that way given that the larger map actually shows two separate wars in which there were more than two sides and may turn even more of a mess. The link to the TL is in my signature, however the first chapters have been decanonised in favour of this maps and others I have in reserve.
decloim-3ac6d8ad-6dca-40f7-96a5-ba04d65842d2.png

Last edited:
Continuing with the series of maps from my Winds of Iron TL, here is the map depicting the rework of the Second American Revolution. Campaigns can be a tad confusing, specially in the larger map which does not depict victors. Decided to do it that way given that the larger map actually shows two separate wars in which there were more than two sides and may turn even more of a mess. The link to the TL is in my signature, however the first chapters have been decanonised in favour of this maps and others I have in reserve.

Why is the capital of Virginia called Baltimore and not Richmond? Especially when you have Baltimore, Maryland on the map?

The Great Lakes Sprachbund, c. 1,473,000 BCE
View attachment 617936

(Made using a topography QBAM made by Bob Hope as a template.)

Short explanation: A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about the different theories about how language evolved, and while I doubt we'll ever actually know the answer, my personal theory that I came up with as a result of said thinking was that language probably developed relatively early, but probably did so several times independently (as for how it happened, I don't have much of an idea, but I think early hominins probably already had a complex communication system, but one that lacked all or most of the features unique to language. I suspect that, as Homo erectus evolved, larger group size and the growing importance of pursuit predation caused a shift in how their brains worked, that made some of those features possible as a side effect. Again, there's little to no scientific backing for any of this, but it's as plausible as any other theory about this topic.)

Anyway, if language developed in multiple places independently, then instead of a single First Language there would have been dozens to hundreds of unrelated first languages that then spread and adapted over time. But these unrelated languages would also probably interact and become more similar over time as groups of Homo erectus interacted with each other, and that could lead to the development of sprachbunds. Hence... this, my take on one of those early sprachbunds.
This is probably how it happened. Language was probably a thing before the first emigrations from Africa (or wherever you believe humans arose). Therefore there probably was some sort of "root language" which itself is a creole or pidgin of various independently formed languages. The process of splintering and merging goes on as people move and so on and so forth

Venditg

Banned
external-content.duckduckgo.com.png

The World In 1838, End Of The Franco-Burgundian War Over Bourgogne

A screenshot from a EU4-VIC2 of a world I imagined in my free time, first there is the Norman conquest of Tunis, the survival of the Kingdom of Jerusalem and then there is a different Black Death which results in some countries becoming more powerful. Religiously the Reformation failed and due to the Black Death, Shiite and Ibadi Islam are the dominant Muslim denominations, although they still exist in Timbktu and Adal/Somalia. Burgundy managed to survived and even take the French colonies in North America but due to the fragmented culture and being a buffer states it's not going to last. The Scandinavian-Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth is the dominant force of Europe, Russia isn't not doing fine but it's not like Japan which lost lands to Portugal but gained Korea. The Bengal Empire meanwhile headbutts with Persia over the domination of Persia. Ireland is a free kingdom and Britain is divided between France, Northumberland, Scotland, Corwnall and Wales and in the meantime the former Eastern Roman Empire has being carved between Trebizond with the Greco-Bulgarian vassal , Jerusalem and the Kingdom of Athens . The Nilean Empire, formerly Ethiopia extends from Sidamo to Alexandria of Egypt. Italy meanwhile is divided by Palalogian Sicily, Urbino, the Papacy, Parma, Pisa and Venice (which has two puppet republics in the north as buffer between her and Bohemia) and an alliance with the Peasant Republic of Ditmarschen.

I always loved doing two thing in EU3 above all else: starting on the date with the biggest Burgundy (I think it was 1453), becoming HRE, and leaving the rest of humanity behind with huge technology advantage over everyone. And starting as France, destroying England with war exhaustion by occupying England's continental provinces, eventually managing to land troops on England and occupy the whole country, and take the whole country over in four wars (renaming all the provinces to French names of course). Then/meanwhile go after Aragon, Castile, and Portugal too, monopolizing the colonization game.
Your screenshot kind of fulfills both my fantasies.

decloim-3ac6d8ad-6dca-40f7-96a5-ba04d65842d2.png
I really like the little flags.

Venditg

Banned
I always loved doing two thing in EU3 above all else: starting on the date with the biggest Burgundy (I think it was 1453), becoming HRE, and leaving the rest of humanity behind with huge technology advantage over everyone. And starting as France, destroying England with war exhaustion by occupying England's continental provinces, eventually managing to land troops on England and occupy the whole country, and take the whole country over in four wars (renaming all the provinces to French names of course). Then/meanwhile go after Aragon, Castile, and Portugal too, monopolizing the colonization game.
Your screenshot kind of fulfills both my fantasies.
In my case Burgundy was done for 2 reasons : I liked the idea in TNO and some sort of equilibrium.

So, I have a specific colour scheme I like to use when I'm making maps (this one here) and it's a very useful one, but it does have its limitations, and one I've come up against often is only having one colour for Poland (considering the amount of maps I've made that have prominently featured Poland, and how some of those maps specifically showed factions/regions/ethnicities within an alternate Poland, this is a problem). So I decided to make my own 'expanded' version with additional colours for 'variant' Polands. This is the colour scheme I'll be using for Polands in my maps from now on:
1611189313519.png

And, as a test, I decided to try to colour in the various Polish voivodeships using this scheme. I also coloured in the German states according to the X2 colour scheme for comparison.
1611189570510.png

which is why I'm posting this in the map thread. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out

jpG428f.jpg

A tremendously ASB map from the TL of my NationStates region Pax Britannia (https://www.nationstates.net/region=pax_britannia). Broadly a mega Hungary (who avoided obliteration by the Ottomans thanks to a surviving Byzantinium) who now dominates the Carpathian Basin/Balkans and integrated them into the so-called Jagiellonian Union. Jagiellonia (Hungary) also picked up a few colonies over the years, most prominently Libya, but also a chunk of the Levant, a bit of OTL Gabon, Cabinda, and Walvis Bay in Namibia.

The nation is a unitary state dominated by the Hungarians in Buda, much to the chagrin of the union's lesser minorities. The government is a one-party state led by Palatine Laszlo Bardossy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/László_Bárdossy), with a consitiutional monarchy. The royal dynasty is the house of Zapoyla, but they kept the heritage of the extinct-Jagiellonian Dynasty.

So yeah I guess a Hungary wank.

This is a great map, I do love Hungary, a unique and fascinating nation, and you do it justice.

Is Hungary Catholic? Or gone Protestantism? (Calvinist and Lutheranism?)

How Hungarian/Magyar is Libya?

Who are Hungary allies, friends and rivals? (IE: The Eastern Romans surviving and saving Hungary in the first place.)

Status
Not open for further replies.