Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross-posting this from my original thread.
Link on DeviantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/godemperorgillan/art/PCP-Attacks-Through-Rough-Times-866432221
pcp_attacks__through_rough_times__by_godemperorgillan_debundp-fullview.jpg

"The LAPD has reported six cases of homicide in the past 48 hours. Victims have been reported to be mutilated and seen with bite marks. So far, in these incidents, three assailants have been killed when the refused to heed orders by the police. However, some policemen were assaulted in the process of apprehending some uncooperative assailants..."

"On the other hand, similar cases of homicide have been reported in Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona. It is unknown if these are related to the murders occurring here in California. The CDC are still investigating on the matter."

I mean, they're fairly simple to make. The complicated part is doing the research, and getting accurate borders, but that's not something for a tutorial.
It takes a lot of practice - not so much to get "good", but to get comfortable - with applications like GIMP2 or Paint.NET. The best maps I've made have involved 2-3 reference layers, which means tinkering with layers and opacity, and that's a leap when coming from traditional MS Paint.

EDIT: Forgot I was actually here to post a map lol. Combined a political map with a transparent topographic layer and was really satisfied with the product.
United Provinces + Topography.png

Technically, this is my first post for 2021, and well, despite all the drama and tension in the air, I still hope the year winds up better than the last. So that said, why not give a snapshot of what I've done over the past decade, from my first map to the latest?

I've always had a thing for cartography, as well as writing fiction based on what's being drawn. It's still astonishing what a difference 11 years can do, and to think time flies so fast. So, here's to another decade! And expect to see more soon!

DeviantArt version can be found here.

----

In order:

2010 - The World of 2014: RDNA-verse
2011 - A-H Crownlands: RDNA-verse Fin
2012 - The World After the Congress: 1936
2013 - Canada Map-File
2014 - Monarchy Over the Danube: Europe 2016
2015 - Gallia Victoire: The Two Empires (Revised)
2016 - Die Sonnengottsaga: AD 1944, 30 Years After Dawn
2017 - [Commission] The Holy Roman Empire in Exile
2018 - Pearl in the Sea of Time: A Philippines ISOT Map
2019 - The New World c.2022: RDNA-verse
2020 - The Long Cold War c.2024: RDNA-verse , TNO: Rising from the Ruins , The Long Cold War-A Paralyzed World: RDNA-verse

debxang-11312b6d-8198-4c56-ad11-ac6b7ce361ca.png

EDIT: Updated the image.

Last edited:
Technically, this is my first post for 2021, and well, despite all the drama and tension in the air, I still hope the year winds up better than the last. So that said, why not give a snapshot of what I've done over the past decade, from my first map to the latest?

I've always had a thing for cartography, as well as writing fiction based on what's being drawn. It's still astonishing what a difference 11 years can do, and to think time flies so fast. So, here's to another decade! And expect to see more soon!

----

In order:

2013 - Canada Map-File
2020 - The Long Cold War c.2024: RDNA-verse , TNO: Rising from the Ruins , The Long Cold War-A Paralyzed World: RDNA-verse

debxang-e10e0583-226f-4acb-95cb-7a3eaac952a5.png
Nice maps!!

Hate to sound picky- It's a great that you have been pursuing the RDNA verse for so long but .....

What is a SNAPSTOT,

anything like a SNAPSHOT?:)

----

In order:

2013 - Canada Map-File

debxang-e10e0583-226f-4acb-95cb-7a3eaac952a5.png

Playing How Far We've Come in the background.

But really this is fascinating to see your best maps next to each other and how long and how far you come in your projects.

Nicely done.

I've been wondering this for a long time, but how do you make all the cool map features? like the glow on the coastlines and some of the provinces, The dashed lines, etc.
Bit late to this conversation but the outline tool is part of pyrochild's plugin set. Just google those three words and it should be the first result, on the getpaint.net forums.

I'm not sure a specific mapping tutorial is needed for Paint.NET, though. It's a very simple program and, especially for WorldA- and Q/M-BAM-based maps, there are probably less than five different functions you really need to know about. Using layers, opacity, the different types of fill with the bucket and brush, changing tolerance and aliasing, and how to use the outline plugin will get you most of the way there. The rest is honestly more about taste (and patience) than ability.

Bit late to this conversation but the outline tool is part of pyrochild's plugin set. Just google those three words and it should be the first result, on the getpaint.net forums.

I'm not sure a specific mapping tutorial is needed for Paint.NET, though. It's a very simple program and, especially for WorldA- and Q/M-BAM-based maps, there are probably less than five different functions you really need to know about. Using layers, opacity, the different types of fill with the bucket and brush, changing tolerance and aliasing, and how to use the outline plugin will get you most of the way there. The rest is honestly more about taste (and patience) than ability.
Its even easier than that. I've made plenty of Worlda maps in Paint using just the pencil tool and the fill tool.

I'm going to try to work on a little guide to making maps with microsoft paint. In addition I think I'll include some information on common practices that are not self-evident (like 1 pixel thick borders).

Status
Not open for further replies.