Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Empires of Three Seas-The Angevin Empire
lRa6xMn.jpg

This is based on my CKII game where I played as Louis "the Great" of Hungary and tried to emulate his own historical political plays and military campaigns. As a result I ended up with a little bit bigger Capetian Angevin Empire. Louis the Great historically was one of the early Absolutist Kings who managed to reform the legal and economic systems within the Kingdom. As a result Hungary under his rule experienced something of a Golden Age. In terms of comparison, he'd probably be the Saint-Louis of Hungary. He was elected King of Poland by the Nobility and managed to take the Kingdom of Naples from Joanna I. Here in ttl, Louis is more successful such as where he manages to be more conciliatory towards the Italians such that they don't revolt against his regents and his Kingship. In ttl, Louis the Great of Hungary has a son who manages to consolidate his father's holdings and influence. From there he made a campaign to using the might of his dominions to annex Sicily proper back, reuniting the Kingdoms of Sicily as one. From there Louis' son Charles managed to engage in a successful campaign against the Ottomans driving them out of Europe. In my game I allied with Byzantium (the inner Byzantophile in me wouldn't let them die) and restored a lot of there territory in Thrace and Northern Greece allowing them to serve as a strong buffer against the Turks while not allowing them to challenge his hegemony within the Balkans. The principalities of Wallachia and Moldova which in otl were established with Angevin support were made vassals into the Hungarian Crownlands and later integrated into the realm allowing Hungary direct access into the Black Sea.

What do you guys think of this map and timeline?
Looking at the title you probably thought it was a Plantagenet map, but it was actually the Capetians.​

Last edited:
lRa6xMn.jpg

This is based on my CKII game where I played as Louis "the Great" of Hungary and tried to emulate his own historical political plays and military campaigns. As a result I ended up with a little bit bigger Capetian Angevin Empire. Louis the Great historically was one of the early Absolutist Kings who managed to reform the legal and economic systems within the Kingdom. As a result Hungary under his rule experienced something of a Golden Age. In terms of comparison, he'd probably be the Saint-Louis of Hungary. He was elected King of Poland by the Nobility and managed to take the Kingdom of Naples from Joanna I. Here in ttl, Louis is more successful such as where he manages to be more conciliatory towards the Italians such that they don't revolt against his regents and his Kingship. In ttl, Louis the Great of Hungary has a son who manages to consolidate his father's holdings and influence. From there he made a campaign to using the might of his dominions to annex Sicily proper back, reuniting the Kingdoms of Sicily as one. From there Louis' son Charles managed to engage in a successful campaign against the Ottomans driving them out of Europe. In my game I allied with Byzantium (the inner Byzantophile in me wouldn't let them die) and restored a lot of there territory in Thrace and Northern Greece allowing them to serve as a strong buffer against the Turks while not allowing them to challenge his hegemony within the Balkans. The principalities of Wallachia and Moldova which in otl were established with Angevin support were made vassals into the Hungarian Crownlands and later integrated into the realm allowing Hungary direct access into the Black Sea.

Looking at the title you probably thought it was a Plantagenet map, but it was actually the Capetians.​

Go Go Hungary.

I always enjoy Hungary and her place in history, for better, or for worst. So this glorious Hungarian Kingdom kicking out the Ottomans to annexing Sicily and all that is great.

lRa6xMn.jpg

46/10, not enough Hungary.

Still, enough to make me think my Hungary-wank wasn't enough. Generally, I limit my wanks on the basis of the national ethnicity not being so outnumbered that the wank is doooomed, but this big handsome wank, although it's unlikely to be more than 1/7 - 1/8 Magyar, makes my map feel a touch inadequate.

Last edited:
Yeah this was one of my favorite CKII playthroughs. I'm gonna wait a bit on getting CKIII. One of the things I'm a bit miffed about not being able to play in between the bookmarks.

Still, enough to make me think my Hungary-wank wasn't enough. Generally, I limit my wanks on the basis of the national ethnicity not being so outnumbered that the wank is doooomed, but this big handsome wank, although it's unlikely to be more than 1/7 - 1/8 Magyar, makes my map feel a touch inadequate.
I mean nationalism is largely anachronistic until the French Revolution. Even during things like the Wars of Italian unification, there wasn't really an "Italian identity." That more or less had be "artificially constructed" through the hardship the Italians faced during WWI. Italy having been fragmented for so long had various dialects. People though of themselves more as Ligurians, Tuscan, Lombard, Neopolitan, etc. In the South which was treated as a colony by the Savoyards there was a bit of a guerilla war going on as they didn't want to join the Northern Kingdom. Southern Italy had its own distinct identity since the Norman conquests. After unification a popular phrase that captured this sentiment was "now we have made Italy, and now we must make the Italian."

In France there were various different dialects of French. Though modern French is based off Parisian French as that was what the old Kings of France spoke. Here in this era loyalty was more based on loyalty to the dynasty or the various nobles in the area. Though in Naples the people rebelled against Louis I of Hungary because he was pretty aggressive and antagonistic towards them and the local nobility. Though Louis had good reason to be since they had supported Joanna I who Louis held as responsible for killing his brother Andrew the Duke of Calabria. Louis was pretty close to his brother and had asserted his brother's claim to the Neopolitan throne. He was royally pissed when news of his brother's murder reached him. He later had revenge on Queen Joanna by ordering a Game of thrones style hit on her. She was apparently strangled to death while in the midst of prayer. Real world Medieval politics make things like the Red Wedding look pretty tame especially when you get to Byzantine politics (looking at you Basil I) or the reign of Vlad II of Wallachia.

In terms of administration, some regions would probably be more autonomous than others. In Poland for example, the nobles likely have more free reign due to the sheer geographic distance of the King and his center of power as opposed to the rule of his predecessor Casimir III. Funny enough the HRE got really scared during this playthrough as they managed to centralize somewhat under the Luxembourgs who were also the Kings of Bohemia. The Bohemians much like in otl were pretty concerned about losing Bohemia and they allied with the other Baltic states to form a defensive pact against me.

1601615617019.png

this is more of a proof of concept than anything, but I've been thinking about what if kansas was poland since like 3 hours ago, so I decided to make it

lRa6xMn.jpg

You would probably want to go with Kingdom of Hungary. Using Crown usually suggests a lot of large polities with independent governing structures. Basically meaning a hole lot of personal union. There had to be something like ten separate titles of king in Iberia. Something to keep n mind for future maps, as I see you did something similar with the last map. Probably due to the Lands of the Bohemian Crown title. They were also just. Personal union between Bohemia, Moravia, North Lusatia, South Lusatia, and I have no idea what the situation was in Silesia. I know at some point it had lots of Dukes for different parts of it, but perhaps that was due to inheritance splitting it up or just a bunch of local nobility effectually getting de facto control. Which is odd, given how how rare the title of Duke used to be. Also related to this map and the last, what is the story with Istria? It would have been with Venice or other local rulers and the Hungarians would probably have found it a bad idea to focus too much of their military to take the area from Germans, Italians, and others. Would make people suspicious of their motives.
Does that make the Eastern US Nazi Germany?
If it was I imagine there would be some territory colors in the US for whatever land they gained.

1601640206-alscace-lorraine.png

In this TL, since the Duchy of Brunswick is in the absence of heirs, Prussia was offered to annex the Duchy. In exchange, the other suitors, will receive in exchange, Alsace Lorraine erected in Duchy.

In this TL, since the Duchy of Brunswick is in the absence of heirs, Prussia was offered to annex the Duchy. In exchange, the other suitors, will receive in exchange, Alsace Lorraine erected in Duchy.
Intesresting, although I would still try to change the CoA so that it would be a mix between Alsace-Lorraine and the house of Welf.

Also, would Brunswick become its own province or be just given to the province of Hanover. Because if it's the later... let me tell you, we wouldn't be happy about this.

Also, would Brunswick become its own province or be just given to the province of Hanover. Because if it's the later... let me tell you, we wouldn't be happy about this.

As I said, it is compensation for the loss of Brunswick by Prussia. And IOTL, the Duke of Hanover inherited the Duchy of Brunswick; or ITTL, he receives Alsace Lorraine instead, but because of that, he kept the blue and yellow of Brunswick. We can say that the latter has its own province, but elsewhere than in the original one.

Status
Not open for further replies.