Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
dd4ik1c-3b788277-ca13-49e7-a2e4-e39027594818.png

Updated map of Europe after the German War as part of my Dominions of America timeline, now with subdivisions galore.

Prussia, having lost its western discontiguous territories and large parts of its east, is seeing itself increasingly isolated from the rest of Germany. As Hungary is seeing a great revival in literature and art, subject ethnic groups are seeing the same leading to ethnic tensions. Nationalism is also rising elsewhere in the Balkans under the Ottomans. The revanchist France is seeking to capitalise on its success in Italy, leading to fears in the UK and its client state in the Pyrenees of a second round of expansionary wars after France was defeated in 1803. The German Confederation's bizarre mix of constituent monarchies and republics is leading to tensions between conservative monarchists and republican nationalists in the Nationalversammlung. And in the background, but increasingly becoming louder, a spectre is haunting Europe...

Vuu

Banned
Very original!:)
I wonder though if you have been conservative in the rate of expansion. I have read that when humans crossed to the Americas it took them less than 2.000 years to reach Patagonia.

Eh, most of these uncontacted tribes are a result of contact nearby - a "there is no way in hell i'm getting disease from them weird people, no sir, i'm boutta head out" kind of mentality. It'll take time for them to notice that there's nobody there

Mhm, alt. Versailles! Nice eastern borders of Poland! And Bulgaria as part of Yugoslavia (kingdom of Serbs, Croats, Slovenes and Bulgarians? :D) is cool.
But former Austria-Hungary is weird, especially independent Slovakia (Slovakia with OTL borders!) with added Ruthenia, especially Ruthenia. It should either stay as part of rump A-H, go to Poland (again, especially Ruthenia) or form OTL Czechoslovakia.
And southern Slovak borders seems unlikely to me, there is or was predominantly hungarian settlement. OTL borders are consequence of Bela Kuns revolution and czechoslovak-hugarian war (which did not happen here, I think?)
on the write up I suggested that Soliakia could have a refuredum? Also I suggested that Yougoslavia might control a trans-hungry railway. I am drawing this in the sameway the british drew thier maps, i.e., fairly abtrailly, so I used the base map (i did not occur to me that those boarders might be wrong!). Also Albinia was not even in the war! Rump A-H is likely democratised. I now realise that is not the best but it was fun to make.

Vuu

Banned
Brazils natural Borders. :p

East of the Andes and North of the Rio negro.

YcGwlgN.png
Eeh, natural borders isn't just the terrain and all - climate plays a big part

In tropical environments, mountains and their milder conditions are more suitable for human habitation. Jungles, on the other hand are anything but - they function by very fast nutrient cycles, therefore clearing them without preventative measures (ie terra preta) will result in nutrient leaching (which is why Brazil has a big deforestation problem - the soil is poor and after a few years becomes basically useless, forcing more forest-cutting. This problem can easily be solved with some work to make new farmland sustainable (and extremely productive). Treat Amazonia as sort of a desert, the most optimal border would split it in half, as if it was a lake or desert or any other inaccessible area

definitely final version of my alternate strangereal map, I promise.
alt_strangereal_definitelyfinal_current.png

And here's the map during the Lighthouse War (the event of Ace Combat 7)
alt_strangereal_definitelyfinal_lighthouewar.png

Last edited:
Eeh, natural borders isn't just the terrain and all - climate plays a big part

In tropical environments, mountains and their milder conditions are more suitable for human habitation. Jungles, on the other hand are anything but - they function by very fast nutrient cycles, therefore clearing them without preventative measures (ie terra preta) will result in nutrient leaching (which is why Brazil has a big deforestation problem - the soil is poor and after a few years becomes basically useless, forcing more forest-cutting. This problem can easily be solved with some work to make new farmland sustainable (and extremely productive). Treat Amazonia as sort of a desert, the most optimal border would split it in half, as if it was a lake or desert or any other inaccessible area
True. But when has the environment and other conditions stopped the ambitious that only want more. In fact history has shown when a nation secures their core all they do is expand further whether its due to pure greed or just to stop any potential rival from capturing the land.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca8...0.U8jFOc3AGhoZ_egxR-daGWmhC_htX4c1Ii76yFHVFyU

Updated map of Europe after the German War as part of my Dominions of America timeline, now with subdivisions galore.

Prussia, having lost its western discontiguous territories and large parts of its east, is seeing itself increasingly isolated from the rest of Germany. As Hungary is seeing a great revival in literature and art, subject ethnic groups are seeing the same leading to ethnic tensions. Nationalism is also rising elsewhere in the Balkans under the Ottomans. The revanchist France is seeking to capitalise on its success in Italy, leading to fears in the UK and its client state in the Pyrenees of a second round of expansionary wars after France was defeated in 1803. The German Confederation's bizarre mix of constituent monarchies and republics is leading to tensions between conservative monarchists and republican nationalists in the Nationalversammlung. And in the background, but increasingly becoming louder, a spectre is haunting Europe...

quite a busy map you've got going there, i'm interested in seeing what the wider world is like (if you get around to it, maps this big usually take time which is respectable).

Vuu

Banned
True. But when has the environment and other conditions stopped the ambitious that only want more. In fact history has shown when a nation secures their core all they do is expand further whether its due to pure greed or just to stop any potential rival from capturing the land.
What also is a bonus to them is the Amazon itself, that I forgot to mention - the Amazon is very navigable, and indeed as the best route of transport (cutting the jungle to construct a road that goes nowhere due to the qualities of jungle previously mentioned), so the border would very well be pushed to the foothills, up to where the rivers are navigable to riverboats. BUT, only if Brazil is based from the Amazon Delta or the wider area. Otherwise due to the same reason an Andean state would easily control a good chunk of the basin

What also is a bonus to them is the Amazon itself, that I forgot to mention - the Amazon is very navigable, and indeed as the best route of transport (cutting the jungle to construct a road that goes nowhere due to the qualities of jungle previously mentioned), so the border would very well be pushed to the foothills, up to where the rivers are navigable to riverboats. BUT, only if Brazil is based from the Amazon Delta or the wider area. Otherwise due to the same reason an Andean state would easily control a good chunk of the basin
Fair point. But apart from navigability the amazon offers a wealth of resources that any alt Brazil cannot afford not to own a chunk of it. Rubber, oils, gum, waxes, food flavouring, dyes also large quantities of copper, tin, nickel, bauxite, manganese, iron ore and gold. If Brazil was to have my proposed natural borders, it will be a country whose "core" will be the rio de la plata basin (basically otl southern Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay and northern Argentina) and everything else would be buffers or territorial "resources colonies" ala their Siberia or Alaska.

Zog Nit Keyn Mol

The PoD is that the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising sparks a massive Jewish revolt across German-occupied territory that brings down Nazi Germany. I know it isn't very plausible, but I was in the mood for a more optimistic scenario when I made this. Yes, the title is a reference to this.
View attachment 453247

Me and @Joshua Ben Ari talked about this, and an few points.

1: Lord Moyne once asked Ben-Gurion, in 1941, if he would accept a Jewish state in East Prussia once Germany was defeated. Ben-Gurion replied that the only way that Jews would go there is if they're forced do to so at gunpoint.

In 1945, the UNRRA (UN Relief and Rehabilitation Administration) did a survey of Jewish Holocaust survivors asking where they would want to go. In one population of 19,000 Jewish refugees, 18,700 named Palestine as their first choice. 98% named it their second choice.

No Jew would go to Germany if they're forced there for a Jewish state. No Jew wants Germany as a Jewish state. It's a fascinating map but the main idea of a Jewish state in Germany is not going to happen. Eretz-Yisrael is our home.

2: There still be an Red Scare. As much as the role McCarthy play in it, he was only the public face of it. There are many other factors to it, to Hoover and the FBI, to genuine fear of Communism in the USA. (Which there was spies and traitors in America. Alger Hiss, and the Rosenbergs alone proves that.) At best, you could diminish it, but the Red Scare will still happen and rock America to the core.

3: The whole point is having a West Germany that can act as a bulwark against Soviet expansionism. A "Prussia-Israel" is going to very much complicate things.

4: West Poland as TTL North Korea? HOW? They would have been crush by both West and East.

5: No Atomic Bombs would see to Japan fighting to the very death. The worst of the Government and Military tried to coup their own Emperor just to keep fighting even after two atomic bombs and the Soviets conquering Manchuria and Korea. Americans in the South and Soviets would see the Japanese people lay down they lives fighting them, and you would have far more death.

6: India is far too extreme, more so for being united/so large, and would see itself collapse into an hot burning mess.

7: Allies invading Spain is an big waste and look like Italy. (Which it was also an pain.) You have to remember that Franco wasn’t like Hitler or Mussolini - he didn’t have the fortitude for a totalitarian dictatorship. He didn’t want to join the Axis and didn’t want to go to war; he simply wanted to run the show in Spain and be the guy there.

Also it becoming an neo-anarchist state would again become an hot burning mess.

8: Turkey a part/with Egypt? Turkey...Turkish. Pan-Arabism and Turkey just don't mix...like at all. Same for Egypt. Once Nasser dies, or hits hard water, it just all fall apart.

9: An communist Iran is not plausible. If anything, the British would have Iraq invade and occupy the oil wells and aid it to do it. Those areas are mostly Arabic, so the Iraqis would have a tangible claim. Same for the Kurds rising up.

10: Things are too well in the USA.

11: Cuba as an State? This is far, far too late for that. The Cuban liberation movement would fight to the death to stop it becoming a part of America.

Last edited:
Nice map! :)
- Franco's Spain was taken down by France and America in the aftermath of World War II [3] and replaced by a republic, and later the Spanish Confederation, which became the Iberian Confederation after Portugal and Andorra joined. The Iberian Confederation has since become a neo-anarchist state that pretty much lets people do whatever they want, short of crimes such as murder or rape, and believes that strict government management of the economy to prevent corporate exploitation of the populace is the only way to allow people to be truly free to make their own decisions without being influenced by the upper class.
I must point out that a Confederation between the two countries, especially an anarchist based state, would be unlikely, there has been no great will in Portugal to join Spain for all its history and Anarchism was minimal (even during its heyday, before ww2, it was small).

The PoD is that the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising sparks a massive Jewish revolt across German-occupied territory that brings down Nazi Germany. I know it isn't very plausible, but I was in the mood for a more optimistic scenario when I made this.

Given the degree of pain that has been inflicted on Holocaust survivors and Jews in general over the years by people asking why they didn't fight back or explaining how they would have fought back in their situation, I find this vaguely offensive, like the cartoon movie in which the victims of the Titanic sinking are rescued by a friendly giant octopus and then live happily ever after in Atlantis.

yUJC1NE.png

A World Turned On Its Axis

A.K.A I Got Bored, So This Happened

I like making maps, but not necessarily making realistic maps. So I went for a "cyberpunk-utopia-meets-my-ideal-world-meets-extreme-balkanization-meets-eye-pleasing-borders-meets-man-that-red-color-for-Chad-looks-really-good" kind of theme. Honestly, I have no idea what is happening in this map. Japan went insane and has decided that what it can't directly annex of the Pacific world, it can bully into submission (basically, every state with a border on the Pacific or in Asia is heavily influenced politically, economically, and culturally by Japan, except for Korea, who's Japan's closest ally and little buddy). Egypt and Greece have grown significantly and led a revival of the mythologies and culture of the Fertile Crescent, and Africa is the world's second-leading continent after Asia. North and South America are mostly chaotic places (sans the superpower of Brazil), but with far more French influence.

Yeah, this just kind of happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.